Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.2

Graham

Oh man is that going to tick off half of MW. (the half that likes the Bandai design). Speakers and a singing Ranka for Michael's valk---as a webshop exclusive? And Ghosts for Luca just as hard to get? Man, that sucks.

Agreed! That really does suck. Now I want the Michael too so I can have the speakers and Ranka chan. I could pose next to my Bretai and Kyron matchbox figs which are close to 1/60 scale IIRC.

Oh man is that going to tick off half of MW. (the half that likes the Bandai design). Speakers and a singing Ranka for Michael's valk---as a webshop exclusive? And Ghosts for Luca just as hard to get? Man, that sucks.

A lot of Japanese companies are pulling this "limited availability-only available at" crap.

However, in this case I suspect a full set version being released sometime in the future. Probably late next year or after the Frontier movie is released.

Watch the movie version packs be slightly different from the TV version. The movie version will be widely available but the TV version super rare. :D

Edited by Vifam7

Takara does that, but only for weird/obscure/repaints. Clear stuff, "anime repaint", etc. Not something very common/desired/expected for the normal release. This is half a step away from making FAST packs for Roy's VF-1S an exclusive. Something THAT many people want and expect to be available should NOT be hard to get.

Hey, thanks for telling us we should be angry. But since you hate the toy anyways, why do you care? :D

I suspect the Tamashii web shop exclusives won't be hard to get, some folks will put them on ebay if nothing else. But, we shall see.

yes... why should an "exclusive" be hard to get... <_<

website exclusives are not hard to get, they just suck because you pay more for them because no one wants to mark them down below the website price. You end up having to pay full retail, plus a mark-up that covers shipping the item once, plus a mark up for profit.

website exclusives are not hard to get, they just suck because you pay more for them because no one wants to mark them down below the website price. You end up having to pay full retail, plus a mark-up that covers shipping the item once, plus a mark up for profit.

which would be fine if it weren't for the bit about there being a coupon for the fast packs...

Bandai likes exclusives. Be happy they're not making the VF-25G or RVF-25 exclusives. Some important characters from Saint Seiya were released as Saint Cloth Myth exclusives that you could get only if you got a certain number of Proofs of Purchase from having bought a number of Saint Cloth Myth figures.

Then again, maybe Bandai will do this with the VF-27... :p Buy the VF-25F, VF-25G, RVF-25, and the VF-25S to get all the proofs of purchase, then you send those in with 17000yen and you can buy it (offer available only to Japanese residents).

yes... why should an "exclusive" be hard to get... <_<

The point is, these items shouldn't be exclusive in first place. It's not "transparent green armor" or "All that VF Sheryl-scheme VF-25". It's some of the best-known stuff in the series. I mean c'mon---EVERYONE that's going to buy a Luca wants a Ghost to go with it. And speakers plus Ranka for Michael?

The point is, these items shouldn't be exclusive in first place. It's not "transparent green armor" or "All that VF Sheryl-scheme VF-25". It's some of the best-known stuff in the series. I mean c'mon---EVERYONE that's going to buy a Luca wants a Ghost to go with it. And speakers plus Ranka for Michael?

err... I was mocking the idea that it's no big deal for bandai to make the fast packs exclusives.

I'm not considering getting speakers, myself. I think they're goofy as hell, and representative of the part of macross that I dislike the most. However, I do want a ghost. Might have been nice if it weren't an exclusive, but I hardly think it's anything to get pissy about. I'm just glad they're making one, and it won't be hard to get. B))

the ghosts as a web only exlusive would kind of suck, the Ranka+speakers not so much. (some of you may love the idea but personally I think it's a wast of paint and plastic)

I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but I'd actually like it if they sold the RVF-25 in 3 versions. a set with the valk+super armor, a set with the valk, 3 ghosts and no armor for the same price. and then a more expensive set with everything.

I'm not all that impressed with the armor on the RVF-25, and I'd rather just get the valk and the ghosts without having to spend the extra money.

(all this of course would be if I was actually getting any of these)

I wonder if the packaging will be made of some nice thick cardboard and filled with styrofoam. Great packaging just increases a toy's experience in my opinion.

The DX Aquarion box was made from a nice thick cardboard, and enough styrofoam to keep it nicely protected.

Just wondering how the speakers and missiles will attach to the wings of the DX toy, as AFAIK it does not have any hardpoints.

I guess Bandai may possibly retool the wings to add hard points ala Yamato.

Or perhaps the accessories attach via an overwing clip like the missiles that came with the old 1/55 VF-1S Strike Valkyrie (I sure hope not).

Anyway, exclusives suck.

Graham

Hey who the hell knows, maybe Toynami will sell US exclusive versions of the Tamashii VF-25s, bundled with their respective accessories. They are already planning US exclusive repaints, so I don't see this out of the realm of possibility(if they can bring over Macross F toys, which I hope).

Never gonna happen! Unless BW change their mind. (it is more of face value I think)

Doing so would mean HG owns MF right!

Edited by ntsan

I'm still doubting the original Bandai Toynami deal will ever happen. Seems a very odd delay going on. I can understand if Bandai doesn't want to steal focus from their Frontier stuff but I suspect they hit a legal hurdle and that was that.

Edited by jenius

I also suspect the Toynami deal to resell the Bandai 1/55 in the US is as dead as the proverbial Dodo.

Anyway, getting back on topic, with the weapons sets and the Super Parts for Alto & Ozma being online exclusives, getting doubles as I originally planned is starting to look pretty costly. May have to stick with singles.

Graham

I've put in a request for all of these toys and will be doing full reviews, hopefully not long after they're available in Japan. I'll also be trying to get my grubby little hands on all these exclusive armor parts and extras.

I look foward to reading those reviews.

I've put in a request for all of these toys and will be doing full reviews, hopefully not long after they're available in Japan. I'll also be trying to get my grubby little hands on all these exclusive armor parts and extras.

I'm also looking forward to reading them - although I will try to beat you to it:) But still...Ozma and Alto will be out first :) so reviewing all four won't be possible until...what? April?

Pete

On the Bandai/Tamashi/Toynami relationship it very well could just be a random and long delay (Do you not think it's odd to take preorders for a finished product in June and then not deliver said finished product until some unknown date in the following year?). I've been nay-saying that we'd ever see anything from it for a long time so far and wouldn't mind being proven wrong. Still, the random and long delay seems to be the precursor to the cancelled preorders followed by the official announcement that, for whatever reason, Toynami won't be bringing chunkies stateside after all. That's my guess.

I'm also looking forward to reading them - although I will try to beat you to it:) But still...Ozma and Alto will be out first so reviewing all four won't be possible until...what? April?

I have no doubt a lot of people will manage to beat me to the Alto and Ozma reviews :(. Still, I'll try to get it up quick enough to be relevant still. I really hate placing preorders like 5 months in advance of a toy's release... here's to hoping the next five months go well!

Edited by jenius

On the Bandai/Tamashi/Toynami relationship it very well could just be a random and long delay (Do you not think it's odd to take preorders for a finished product in June and then not deliver said finished product until some unknown date in the following year?).

Quite the opposite, actually. Given the worldwide economic situation, I find indefinite delays unsurprising.

Already, China's toy industry is hurting. The official Xinhua News Agency reported this week that 3,631 toy exporters — 52.7 percent of the industry's enterprises — went out of business in 2008. The causes: higher production costs, wage increases for workers and the rising value of the yuan, the report said.

Nor is Christmas likely to make much difference. Big toy giants generally put in their Christmas orders months in advance so toys can be shipped to them in time.

Even before the financial crisis, China's exports were dropping because of the slowdown in America and Europe. For the first time in three years, the growth rate for Chinese exports in the first quarter of 2008 declined, according to customs figures.

Chan Cheung-yau, chairman of toy and games subcommittee under the Chinese Manufacturers' Association of Hong Kong, agreed that the outlook was gloomy for toy makers. He predicted that thousands more factories would close in China next year.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081019/ap_on_...na_factory_woes

You are alone.... these delays began long before anyone knew the economic crisis. Having a finished product and shelving it indefinitely and abruplty is odd.

Edit - That sounds rude so I'll clarify. Toynami had a simple distribution deal. Bandai has completed a production run of the toy (generally they'd just make more and give Toynami some to sell in the states). The preorders indicated that this would be how things were done with the original US release date being only a short time after the Japanese one. The Japanese release date has come and gone, Japanese people own the toy, Toynami never managed to get any of them or sell them in the states. This is odd. It would be odd that Bandai would plan a second manufacturing run to meet an order that was available at the time of the first manufacturing run (it makes no economic sense).

If you want to bring the economic landscape into this, the delay is even MORE odd. One production run would have been way cheaper than two. Also, both companies knew they wanted to do this like back in June, that's plenty of time to make Christmas deadlines. Why would a company willing choose to miss xmas? Again, it doesn't make sense.

Edited by jenius

that Bandai/Toynami deal's gone belly-up, blame HG. HG is always the problem. <_<

the ridiculous exclusive FP's are a deal-breaker for me.

i was set on the idea that i would buy one if i could have FP's to go with it.

a bare VF25 isn't as appealing to me as a fully armed one.

i said before that with all their bigness & experience, Bandai does stupid things too. looks like they want to prove it.

oh well... guess i'll just have to spend that money on even more VF-1's :mellow:

when Bandai has done exclusives in thir Saint Seiya line, i haver never had any trouble getting them. usually Toy-wave or ebay can help.

While I found that to be true as well, Saint Seiya has a much bigger fanbase than Macross, and a much higher demand for those toys. While Toywave and ebay will be a way to get these Bandai Exclusives for Macross Frontier, they probably won't be as abundant and will probably cost more (supply and demand thing).