Best 1/60 valkyrie to buy for a first timer

Getsuga Tenshou

Hello B))

Im newly registered to this forum and this is my first post. Im from the Philippines but Im in Japan right now for training. About two weeks ago I was strolling around Akihabara, the electric and otaku "center" around the Tokyo area, and I was able to see this Yamato 1/60 valks ranging from 14,000 - 20,000 yen. They were cool and the packaging was cool as well. I wanted to buy one but I figured for the price I was about to pay for the toy, I should research more about it first.

So these past few weeks I have been reading reviews and comment from the internet and after all the information Ive gathered, I came up with the 6 valks with the least issues from Yamato(This is based from the reviews and user comments I have read).

VF-1A (the latest release, DYRL)

VF-1S (the latest release, DYRL)

VF-0S (Roy with Super Strike parts)

YF-21

YF-19 (With the fast pack)

SV-51 nora type

My question is, for a first timer (I havent done any transformations yet on any macross toys. This is also my first time to collect toys), which one would you suggest? I am planning to buy 3 - 4 valks before I return to the Philippines but for now Im just going to buy one and "play around" with it before buying the rest to get a feel of the toy. I know you guys here are friendly and help each other out hehe so please any suggestion will be much appreciated. Arigatou Gozaimashita.

Hikaru's VF-1A 1/60 version 2.0 is probably the best bet. The VF-1S 2.0 has had some reported broken shoulders but there's been less talk about that with Hikaru's 1A. That's the VF-1 and should be your first. Of that list my next favorite is the YF-21. If you can find a VF-0S with Ghost (the 0S doesn't come with Super/Strike parts) that'd also be cool but the 0S is less glorified in the Macross universe than the 19 or 21.

Of the newer Yamato 60 scales I only currently posses the VF-1A (1/60) v2, and SV-51 Ivanov, so can only speak in depth about those two. I would go with one of the version 2 VF-1A if it's your first.

I absolutely love my VF-1A, it is compact, very detailed, and sturdy. The SV-51 is nice, but because of its size, it's a bit unwieldy, I just keep mine in fighter mode. Also, the transformation of SV-51 is more complex than the 1A. I would be cautios about the VF-1S and any of the VF-0 line, as there are reports of QC issues with the shoulders.

I don't have much info on the 19/21, hopefully someone else can provide you some feedback on those.

On the flip side, the SV-51 will really make you think it's money well spent. Oodles of extras and even its own stand! The only thing complex about it in my opinion is the arm/shoulder transformation. It takes a short while to get used to it. It's less scary to transform it than a VF-0, I can tell you that much :p

But if your budget's a bit tight, the VF-1A v2 will be your best bet.

Welcome to Macrossworld!!

Let me be the first to say you should kiss your wallet goodbye ;)

From that list I suggest you buy Hikaru's v2 1/60 VF-1A. There's something about this valk that makes it be one of my favourites.

I've had the VF-1S for more than a month and the VF-1A for two weeks now, and nothing is broken ^_^

You MUST buy the YF-21!!! It's the definition of AWESOME and has no QC issues.

Edited by Ignacio Ocamica

In the 1/60 line, the VF-0 (A or S) is my favorite. As for a VF-1, I would go for a 1/48. Nora is cool too though IMO.

But what it really comes down to is what your favorite one is. Art is subjective and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Get whichever one you like the best. Sometimes that is hard to narrow down. I remember when I was in the market for my first Yamato Valk and there were so many options I did not know what to do. The first one I got I ended up selling a couple weeks later after only transforming once, to get a different one.

If you just want something cheap and fun to play with, go for one of the earlier 'version 1' types. People are dumping them for as low as $25-$50. Sure, they're a little like a diecast & plastic rag doll - but the detail & weight is nice and for that price you can happily detail them up or just play with it without a whole lot of guilt.

Never underestimate the cheap option! :lol:

hmmm...1/60 V2...I don't like the VF-1A's head...I prefer the S, and mine is fine, been transforming it a few times since I got it over 2 months ago, and my only complaint is the folded tailfins tend to rub against each other and the dorsal antena, so it's a bit bad for the paintjob (black with the jolly rogers). I now "mask" the spots with tamiya tape and so far so good. I am waiting for the TV-version Hikaru VF-1J, which has a fairly simply livery, and should be (if I guess right) a white plastic tailfin, so it would be worry-free, even with the full weigh of the Fast packs on.

Buy them all.

You will end up buying them all anyways, only now you have the chance to get them all in one go without shipping, customs etc etc etc.

Expect at least one of them to break. Enjoy the rest.

And welcome to the world of Macross toy collecting: a world of pleasure and pain, a world, where money means nothing, where babies go unfed, roofs leak, faucets drip-drip like the sand of time and the days of our lives, where food is a luxury and fighter stands are essential...

Welcome...to...your dooooom :)

Or something like that :)

Pete

^^ Personally I would go for canon valks before the special ones. Plus thats a 1/48, he wants a 1/60.

@Getsuga

I was in your position a few months back. As the saying goes "nothing beats the original" and lucky for you VF-1 1/60 line just got updated by Yamato. Currently you get to choose between the 1S, 1A, and 1J. You can choose which one to buy first as they are all great. You will probably end up buying most of them anyway. Goodluck.

It would be easier if you have seen the actual fighters in action (Macross DYRL?, Macross Plus, Macross Zero)

These are the top three for mine -

1. YF-21 (difficult at first, but easy after a few transformations, and solid as a rock)

2. YF-19 (easy transformation, looks great in all modes like the YF-21, but has a beefier Battroid so you may prefer that)

3. VF-1A Hikaru (easy transformation, iconic first valk, watch DYRL? and see Hikaru as his newbie best. He gets better in his VF-1S)

(1 & 2 are from Macross Plus, i suggest watch the Macross Plus movie version first, you will see big reasons to buy the 19 or 21<-especially)

(no. 3 is where it all started, in DYRL? for the main hero pilot, Hikaru, perhaps you would like to start with the basics first)

All three are revised, with the majority of Quality Control errors fixed, you can't go wrong with either. Nora's SV-51 would be 4th placed.

My take on things is that i buy stuff that i loved in the anime. The YF-21 (piloted by Guld) is first because it kicked so much ass

in the anime. As did the YF-19, piloted by Isamu. Give yourself a treat and hire/buy the dvds before buying. Become a fan.

:edit:

ohh and the YF-21 gets it's own stand, and it's clear which is a huge bonus, Nora has her own stand as well (already mentioned) but it is black.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Hey guys thanks very much for the warm welcome. All your inputs were very helpful. Im so touched I feel like crying.

@Ignacio Ocamica

Yes indeed. My wallet will be in for a world of hurt this coming weeks huhuhu. I am actually cutting off some of my expenses like travel expenses etc. just so I can save to buy my preciouusssssss.

@AcroRay

I've also been thinking about getting second hand valks :-). But I know for sure I will be more satisfied with a brand new valk. Guess Ill just have to be extra careful with them.

@VFTF1

Hahahaha yes I think I would end up buying most of them(up to what my budget can afford). I think I can buy 3-4 of them. And you're absolutely right about the shipping and customs. I knew I was in big trouble once I started researching about these valks. Im the type of person who find it difficult to restrain myself from buying my preciouusssss.

@rick dieck

Hehehe I prefer the 1/60 models from the 1/48 :-) and I only plan to collect the 1/60's but thanks for your input anyway.

@ruskiiVFaussie

That was a very great advice. I have only watched robotech orignial series, macross original series, DYRL and Macross Zero. But I do have background about the other series like Macross 7 and Macross Plus. Its really hard to get a hold of this anime (a lot of anime in fact) in the Philippines. I usually watch them on the internet if some kindred souls would be kind enough to upload them.

OK Ive already deciced to buy the VF-1A Hikaru DYRL this saturday. Ill play around with it this weekend then after I get the hang of the transformation, Id go and buy the YF-21 the week after. Ill buy the last 2 valks in november or december, maybe the sv-51 nora (I like Ivanov better than Nora but Ive read to many issues about the Ivanov) and YF-19.

Thanks very much guys.

All of those valks should still be available in Philippine toy stores at V-mall in Greenhills. I don't see why you'd risk shipping + customs expenses unless you're saving a huge amount buying them in Japan.

For reference the VF-1A Hikaru is around PhP6-6.1k cash depending on your "tawad". The YF-19/21 are around PhP9-10K.

Buy them all.

You will end up buying them all anyways, only now you have the chance to get them all in one go without shipping, customs etc etc etc.

Expect at least one of them to break. Enjoy the rest.

And welcome to the world of Macross toy collecting: a world of pleasure and pain, a world, where money means nothing, where babies go unfed, roofs leak, faucets drip-drip like the sand of time and the days of our lives, where food is a luxury and fighter stands are essential...

Welcome...to...your dooooom :)

Or something like that :)

Pete

I loved Macross for decades, and only had a pair of Yamato toys a few years back but stopped because I have a diecast airplane collection going on at the same time...

Thanks for telling me where my life is heading to by indulging myself with Macross toys...I remember when I thought 100 bucks for a toy was crazy, now I explain to my wife "they're not made of metal, but the man-hours and engineering that goes into them is well worth it" (then sth gets scratched or I am looking at another variant)...

Edited by regult

As a first timer I'd try and stay away from the 19. Even as someone who has transformed dozens of toys, the neck hinge still scares the hell out of me. The Nora is just a wonderful valk, but is a little complex. The new V2 Valks are probably the most simple on the list.

@ruskiiVFaussie

Ill post the result of my valk shopping on Staurday. Hope I get a good one.

@Sumdumgai

Ive already watched the YF-19 transformation from battroid to fighter in youtube. Very cool indeed.

@barurutor

Hehe Im from Cebu area. But thats good to hear that they are selling macross stuff at greenhills. I can ask my cousin to get it from me. One question though, can you trust those stores in greenhills re the toys? Greenhills has a bad reputation for selling crappy cellphones.

@regult

Fortunately for me, Im still single. I dont have to explain why I spent my hard earned 200$ on a "TOY". Hehehe.

@kaiotheforsaken

Yes I think I know what you're saying, Ive seen it in the youtube video. But the YF-19 design is cool. Ill think about it thanks :-)

Hello B))

Im newly registered to this forum and this is my first post. Im from the Philippines ...

Mabuhay!

get the v.2 VF-1... but down the line you gotta get a YF-21. The Nora is damn sexy too! :rolleyes:

... valks (and other toys i.e. SOCs etc) in greenhills are legit, but i think it would be cheaper to get it there coz of the exchange rate and vat... and the prices here are like the prices there plus shipping... plus your in cebu...

Edited by m0n5t3r

I think the 19 is the next easiest of the lot (from the v.2 VF-1, similar to the 1/48) yes the neck hinge is tight, but it's not that bad.

degree of difficulty listed below -

YF-21 no.1 (being the most difficult)

SV-51 (Nora etc) no. 2

YF-19 no.3

and easiest of the lot = VF-0 & VF-1 equal tied i guess (very similar)

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

@m0n5t3r

Yeah the sv-51 is the sexiest. If only the Ivanov didnt have too many issues Id go for it. Frankly, im not too kin on the Nora color scheme hehe but the design is indeed sexy. Are you from the Philippines too?

@ruskiiVFaussie

As always your posts are very informative and helpful :-) Thanks man.

@adrianop

By any chance are you Hadrian Go? Yep Im from Cebu but Im in Japan now for training until December 16. Be right home for christmas with my valks wahahaha. Ill buy my valks here. When I get back to Cebu, ill probably be getting my next valks at Greenhills as barurutor has suggested.

Argh im too excited to buy the valk. Saturday cant come fast enough.

Please allow me to go off topic for a moment here before going to sleep hehe. Just want to share minor info about my name:

Getsuga Tenshou is the trademark special move of Kurosaki Ichigo from the anime Bleach (Its cool to watch. I highly recommend it ;-))

Its Kanji is 月牙天衝

月->Getsu-> Moon

牙->Ga-> Fang

天->Ten->Heaven

衝->Shou->Passage

Literal translation is Moon Fang Heavenly Passage. Japanese language is tricky, and I think there are also other translations for Getsuga Tenshou. Im not really good at Nihongo, I just researched this one on the net hehehe. Sleep time then zzzzzzzzzzzz.

@barurutor

Hehe Im from Cebu area. But thats good to hear that they are selling macross stuff at greenhills. I can ask my cousin to get it from me. One question though, can you trust those stores in greenhills re the toys?

There are several stores in the Shoppesville and V-mall areas which carry Macross toys. They're pretty professional and have established reputations already.

@ Getsuga

Hehe no thats not me. Went to Manila earlier this month. For Greenhills Shoppesville go for Great Toys, or Wasabi Toys. Great Toys also has a branch in Goldcrest Glorietta 2 in Makati if thats more convenient for you. Last I checked they had 1/60 VF-1 version 2s (bought my VF-1A at Makati and its perfect), YF-19s, and some SV-51s.

@m0n5t3r

Yeah the sv-51 is the sexiest. If only the Ivanov didnt have too many issues Id go for it. Frankly, im not too kin on the Nora color scheme hehe but the design is indeed sexy. Are you from the Philippines too?

Argh im too excited to buy the valk. Saturday cant come fast enough.

yep. 100% pinoy.

i think you also need to buy a couple of "balikbayan" boxes esp. if you're there for a couple more months. i think you've seen the term "valkoholism" being used here, and tell you what, it's true and these are not as cheap as coffee and cigarettes. :rolleyes:

but seriously, for a macross fan it's really satisfying owning these collectors' toys. so buy everything that you think you really want... but don't forget to read some of the problems that members have had w/ their Yamato valks and inspect your valk/s when you get them coz Yamato's QC isn't perfect... yet. Pray you don't get a lemon... g'luck bro.

Yeah only get VF-0S with Ghost, avoid at all costs the VF-0S single release (without Ghost), and VF-0A Cannon Fodder (Red Strip)

Shin + Ghost is half fixed (meaning it's good or bad depending on your luck). I think you have already educated yourself

with the exploshoulders. ;) And also the Roy VF-1S v.2 1/60 has shoudler problems. So feel free to get the 1A Hikky.

And like others above get '1' 1/48 with Strike/Super FP parts just to have, it really is worth the effort.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Field Report October 18, 2008:

Before going to Akihabara I decided to buy the VF-0S with ghost for my first valk(It was VF-1A initially but I like the zero design better). Scoured all the possible stores I could but even the VF-0S without ghost cant be found. The YF-21, VF-1A and YF-19 version 1 were in abundance. SV-51(Both Nora and Ivanov) slightly lesser displays than the YF-21. Around 2 stores had the VF-0A and 1 store had the VF-0A with ghost. Seriously, I never thought finding a particular valk in Japan would be so difficult.

In the end, I bought the YF-19 with fold booster and fast pack for 21,800 yen. That's around 214.55 dollars or 10,300 Philippine pesos. Im too scared to transform it right now so Ill just leave it be for a while. I must say Im Impressed. This takes coolness to the next level. I hope I got lucky and got a good qualtiy YF-19.

Good Purchase. There are several transformation vid's floating around for the yf-19 that I highly recommend. They all can be found on youtube. Watch them and you should have no problems with the 19. The two video's that Graham did are the best IMO. Now you gotta get the yf-21 to go with your 19.

BTW Bleach is a cool anime, I'm currently playing Heat the Soul 4 on my PSP. It occupies all of my video game time until I get Macross Ace Frontier.