SDF-02 Megaload is differ from

yui1107

8baa6ce6.jpg

b78f1f5a539bc53d.jpg

(SDF-2 series)

Is "SDF-02 Megaload" differ from "Megaroad-class colony ship"?

The Japanese Wikipedia メガロード-01 argue with that difference.

Other Jpanese livedoor-wiki SDF-2 メガロード changed recently.

It seems that this correction is a thing that I take Mr.Shoji-Kawamori's remark "The SDF is the classification symbol of the battleship and does not use you as colonization ship".

How do you think?

(Colonization ship)

megaroad.jpg

Edited by yui1107

And here is why, credit too Macross mecha manual

More than a year after the newly re-designated SDF-1 Macross restoration project commenced, construction began on a second super dimension fortress in November 2003. Designated simply SDF-2, this second Macross Class vessel of Earth origin was designed with an almost identical hull configuration to the SDF-1 currently being rebuilt, but the vessel was notably larger. Construction began at the Apollo Lunar Base and continued until some time just after the final battle between the UNG and the Bodol Zer Main Fleet in February 2010. Although construction of the SDF-2 eventually resumed, this class of ship would never be commissioned as originally designed. After the bombardment of the Earth and near total annihilation of humanity, the priorities of the UNG shifted. The SDF-2 construction resumed in June 2010 but was renamed Megaroad-01 and the half-constructed spacecraft was significantly altered into that of a massive colonization ship. With this first colonization vessel, the UNG would attempt to ensure the survival of humanity by spreading the species across the galaxy, so never again would the destruction of one world threaten the human race with extinction.

Try the Macross Compendium first. For starters, it's officially sanctioned by the people behind Macross. Not to mention that most stats write-ups on Macross reference the Compendium.

Construction of second Macross Class ship begins at the Lunar surface's Apollo Base 2003 November. Construction resumes as a colonization ship after Space War I on half-constructed and renamed SDF-2 Megaroad-01 2010 June. Megaroad-01 launches as part of the first long-distance colonization fleet and construction of mass-produced super-long-distance colonization ships Megaroad-02 and -03 based on the Megaroad 2012 September. Hereafter, one or two super-long-distance colonization ships are constructed yearly. Launches of the second and third super-long-distance colonization fleet (Megaroad-02 and -03 ships) 2014. Hereafter, super-long-distance colonization fleets are routinely launched.

http://macross.anime.net/wiki/Megaroad_Class

(or here, for the non-Wiki version: http://macross.anime.net/mecha/united_nati...s/Megaroad.html )

Edited by sketchley

SDF-02 bridge! Very nice! I've never seen that line art before. Any chance of a larger scan? :)

SDF-02 bridge design drawings is quoted by p76 in that old magazine.

A. 小学館 『 ホビーハンドブック 1 ・ 超時空要塞マクロス』 (1983.05 定価480円)

B. 小学館 『 マクロス劇場版 スペシャル・プレビュー 「愛 おぼえていますか」 』 (1984.7 定価800円)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

【Translation】

A.Shogakan " Hobby hand-book 01 Super Dimentional Fortless MACROSS″

(Publishing in May 1983, price 480 yen. )

B.Shogakan ”MACROSS the theater version Special-preview -Do you remember love?-"

(Publishing in July 1984, price 800 yen. )

b78f1f5a539bc53d.jpg

Another remarkable drawings is the hanging method of six RMS-1 large anti-ship reaction missiles to hard-points attached with under-wings' pylon.

Edited by yui1107

It is entirely possible the SDF-4 Global was built using the SDF-2 plans and all subsequent SDF class ships as well.

The SDF-1 was a rebuilt SA gunship, whereas the SDF-2 battleship took the design elements that went into the Macross and modified them.

Over time, as we've seen with the NMC's, even those design elements would have been changed to adapt to the new technologies of the day until the NMC's took over.

Edited by Zinjo

It is entirely possible the SDF-4 Global was built using the SDF-2 plans and all subsequent SDF class ships as well.

The SDF-1 was a rebuilt SA gunship, whereas the SDF-2 battleship took the design elements that went into the Macross and modified them.

Over time, as we've seen with the NMC's, even those design elements would have been changed to adapt to the new technologies of the day until the NMC's took over.

Hmm, I think SDF-2 basic design is incorporated into Megaroad colony ship class, SDF-4 is a mass produced vwersion of SDF-1.

Besides SDF-1 and SDF-1 (battlefortress/battecruiser) shared many design element such as raised command citadel and split-hull main cannon. the newer NMC class is much more sleeker and emphasize on its "carrier" design.

Hmm, I think SDF-2 basic design is incorporated into Megaroad colony ship class, SDF-4 is a mass produced vwersion of SDF-1.

Besides SDF-1 and SDF-1 (battlefortress/battecruiser) shared many design element such as raised command citadel and split-hull main cannon. the newer NMC class is much more sleeker and emphasize on its "carrier" design.

The chassis was, however the battleship plans still existed. Why would Spacy "clone" the Macross when they had plans for a cruiser that was specifically designed for the battleship role. The Macross had dozens of unused areas and enough room to house a city of 50,000. Whereas the SDF-2 plans likely utilized every square inch of the ship. It is possible that SDF-2 Battleship may have had a fighter assembly plant built into it and various raw material processing and fabrication plants as well.

It was a ship that was to be over 1.5km long afterall.

During SW-1 the Macross would have shown many of it's design flaws that no one could have anticipated outside of a combat experience.

Thus those weaknesses would have been corrected and any additional facilities and armaments would have been added in subsequent designs.

Fixed!

Well Togo we can call it the SDF-04 Global or the Macross 04-Global, however the fact remains it was an SDF type of battleship and the colonization animation in episode one continued to show SDFs coupled with Megaroads in the colonization fleets. "SDF" is likely its registry designation and "Macross" is its class designation, both appear to be correct, by what we've seen. It would explain why the Battle Frontier is a "New Macross Class" with a registry designation of NMC as opposed to just a "Macross Class Carrier".

Feel free to white knuckle your beliefs.... :rolleyes:

Global was referred to as "The 4th Macross class ship Global" within the show. Macross 04 Global. No mention of "SDF" anywhere.

Didn't we all agree to named it WTF-1 Global ? Or Macross 4th Global? :huh:

I am guessing Macross 04, as we all know the Megaroad class took up the SDF mantle, and there is evidence of the Megaroad-03 SDF-04 in the continuity.

I recheck the scene and check with dubs in spanish and english and Alto calls it the Macross Q4 Global when he finally was close enough to read the designation, no SDF anything on it, the only other number on the hull is 117 that is the research fleet it was assigned to.

I agree with Duke, the SDF designation was given to the Megaroad ships being the Macross the only Macross class ship with SDF.

Edited by RichterX

Well, just to add in the SDF-2 Megalord aka Megaload lore.

The RT adaptation of SDF-2 stems from one dialogue cue from RT: Macross Saga last ep, but unseen in the original animation (there's no SDF-2 as well in SDF:M). Various RT adaptations, mostly Jack McKinney's RT novelization try correcting this by stating SDF-2 is back to back with SDF-1 in Lake Gloval, & suffered the 1st hit from Khyron's (Quamzin) cruiser & sinking.

Its nice to know that another RT adaptation of SDF-2, this time by Comico's RT Comic has shown illustration of SDF-2 actually back to back with SDF-1 as per McKinney's assertion from novelization.

What's more important, Mike Leeke, the artist responsible for SDF-2 illustration tried his best to adapt the unused SDF:M's SDF-2 Megalord pre-production art as SDF-2 in RT, whipping out the Attack configuration of the said SDF-2 Megalord [available lineart only shown Cruiser mode). The result, pretty impressive:

post-693-1222076464_thumb.jpg

post-693-1222076524_thumb.jpg

Edited by Protoculture

Below are the SDF-2 illustration from the said comic, adaptation from the TV series & the RT novelization.

post-693-1222076764_thumb.jpg

SDF-2 coming into Khyron's range

post-693-1222076800_thumb.jpg

SDF-2 being hit & sinking

post-693-1222076891_thumb.jpg

SDF-2 in the background billowing smoke while SDF-1 blasted Khyron's ship

post-693-1222076958_thumb.jpg

Khyron's warship ramming both SDF-1 & SDF-2.

Lo-res SDF-2 Megalord cruiser mode:

post-693-1222077066_thumb.gif

The dead giveaway that RT's SDF-2 is a direct adaptation of SDF-2 Megalord is the Bridge layout, the shoulder's cannon & obviously ARMD carriers attached as arms in Atttack mode.

Edited by Protoculture

Always wondered where the heck the SDF-2 came from the Sentinels books.

There's no SDF-2 in Sentinel novelization, apart from the blurb that it now rested alongside SDF-1 & Khyron's cruiser wreckages in the lakebed of Lake Gloval, & 3 mounds (dredged up from Lake Gloval) that covered the wreckages from 2014 - 2031 that become containment site known as SX Point 83, until Invid Regess occupied that site during Invid Invasion of Earth in 2031 & that site is later known as Reflex Point aka Regess HQ.

All I ever hear is SDF-3

Ahh SDF-3. The Sentinel variant shows it to be some sort of Zentraedi battlecruiser, while RT;Prelude To The Shadow Chronicles shows that pre-refit SDF-3 got heavy hull damage after confrontation with Invid Regent flagship, & later rebuilt into MOSPEADA-ish SDF-3.

Mecha_SDF-3.jpg

sdf-3.gif

Fixed!

Totally unrelated.

Totally agree with Duke on both counts ^_^

I recheck the scene and check with dubs in spanish and english and Alto calls it the Macross Q4 Global when he finally was close enough to read the designation, no SDF anything on it, the only other number on the hull is 117 that is the research fleet it was assigned to.

I agree with Duke, the SDF designation was given to the Megaroad ships being the Macross the only Macross class ship with SDF.

"Macross Q4 Global" is a mistranslation. i guess the translator mistaken the japanese "class" as Q. it should be "Macross Class 4th ship Global" literally or "The 4th Macross class ship Global"

calling it SDF-4 will definitely complicate things.

Edited by Shun

Totally agree with Duke on both counts ^_^

"Macross Q4 Global" is a mistranslation. i guess the translator mistaken the japanese "class" as Q. it should be "Macross Class 4th ship Global" literally or "The 4th Macross class ship Global"

calling it SDF-4 will definitely complicate things.

i see thanks for the explanation Shun, calling it The 4th Macross Class makes sense as Macross 4 is the 4th New Macross Class fleet.

it's just reminders of why we burn heritics with glee....

and to think i spent $ on those comics, the fool i was (So young, so loved homotech when i was little)

though the original organic look of Harmful Goblin's STD-3 comes from the Paladian books, correct? funny... Homotech themselves hit the Retcon button. I wish someone dry humped the button so we can get a macross SDF recon brought to the US finally, without any legal dogs following the feces droppings... :/

Teasing aside, TU protoculture for reminding me of how old i'm getting *smirk* been a long time since i've seen anything 'Comico'...

Edited by pensives_wetness

Ugh. that's totally pathetic. the lengths that HG (or whoever) goes to to explain a ship that isn't there. ugh. crap. 2 SDFs back to back, like a pair of idiots? ugh.

i spent a lot of time excising those robocrap concepts from my head; just seeing any evidence of its silly existence makes me nauseous.

The appearance of the SDF-2 in the lake doesn't both me HALF as much as the Bridge Bunny Massacre... :angry:

agreed. didn't even want to mention it anymore coz it makes my blood boil. to see them huddled like that makes me cringe. :angry: and tear my eyes out in anger and disgust. it's a wonder i can still type (must have memorized the keyboard a tad to well).

EDIT: Now we know where RF26-AAC got his memories of the bridge bunny massacre from... :rolleyes:

Edited by dreamweaver13