The Future of Macross - Where will it go from here??

taksraven

You should already know that no singing idols = no macross.

Just like no valks = no macross

or no love triangles = no macross

I think that these are the three main pillars of any Macross series. Not every series has to have every pillar but at least two should be there.

Taksraven

actually, if you consider priestess sarah as a town idol of sorts, then so far all animated macross series so far have fulfilled ALL three requisites. :)

I think that these are the three main pillars of any Macross series. Not every series has to have every pillar but at least two should be there.

Taksraven

Well... it doesn't have to be specifically a singing idol. But music has to be part of it.

Taksraven

I find it amazing how many self-professed Macross fans are unclear on these fundamental concepts of Macross, aren't you?

Strangely, although people will say, "no more singing" or "enough with the love triangles," no one ever says, "I'm pretty damn sick of planes that turn into robots."

I wonder why... :p

Macross should have ended with DYRL and Flashback, everything since then (though entertaining) has been nowhere near the level of DYRL excellence.

Hmmm...there's truth to that, but I'm still glad Kawamori decided there were new things he could say with Macross. I enjoy the sweeping, epic feel of covering sixty years of future history with the whole saga.

That said, if Kawamori retires, I hope Macross retires with him.

I can't say at all I didn't enjoy Plus, Zero and now Frontier, but still they can't even stand in the same room with SDF and DYRL/FB..

Max has a point also... Every Macross is kind of the same SW ONE plot over again. SW ONE is where the story is, beyond that there is really nowhere the story should go, because it dilutes the point of the loss of culture, and regaining of it. Maybe stated a different way, a valuing of human emotional response above all.

Macross should have ended with DYRL and Flashback, everything since then (though entertaining) has been nowhere near the level of DYRL excellence.

I would have to totally diasagree, but only insofar as you say that there shouldn't be any other Macross. while i acknowledge the excellence that is DYRL and flashback, i wouldn't go so far as wishing that there is nothing else after.

I would definitely like to see a hot female character as the lead pilot.

Edit: I would also like to maybe see more fighting between the Zents and the Supervision army, perhaps that could be what they end up against next. It would take alot less craziness to do that than to have them fighting galactic bugs.

Edited by Gin

Has Space War 2 happened yet? I'd like to see some sort of giant war between the UN Spacy and allied aliens vs. some odd faction that has the regular plot to take over the universe. Maybe some of (hell maybe all of) the colonies set up on different planets such as Eden get blown up and everything comes back to a final battle around earth. We havnt seen a nice huge battle for a long time! Its not the best idea but dammit it's what I want to see in a new macross series, movie or OVA.

Has Space War 2 happened yet? I'd like to see some sort of giant war between the UN Spacy and allied aliens vs. some odd faction that has the regular plot to take over the universe. Maybe some of (hell maybe all of) the colonies set up on different planets such as Eden get blown up and everything comes back to a final battle around earth. We havnt seen a nice huge battle for a long time! Its not the best idea but dammit it's what I want to see in a new macross series, movie or OVA.

hmm... you know, you got me thinking. i wonder what level a space conflict has to reach before it is classified as SW2. the protodevlin attacked and waged war against 3 macross fleets, at least. the vajra attacked two fleets (3 if you include the 117th). both the protodevlin and the vajra could, potentially, threaten the existence of all humanity if they spread. will it only be considered SW2 if the battle actually reaches earthspace?

And this has something to do with Macross, how? <_<

and don't tell me it's because of the shuttle jet robot.

That's spam, never quote it or react to it and the mods will make it disappear... usually before you even log in again. Then we can all just pretend it didn't happen.

hmm... you know, you got me thinking. i wonder what level a space conflict has to reach before it is classified as SW2. the protodevlin attacked and waged war against 3 macross fleets, at least. the vajra attacked two fleets (3 if you include the 117th). both the protodevlin and the vajra could, potentially, threaten the existence of all humanity if they spread. will it only be considered SW2 if the battle actually reaches earthspace?

More if the Vajra conflict reaches each and every Human/Zentradi Alliance fleet in the whole galaxy...

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

More if the Vajra conflict reaches each and every Human/Zentradi Alliance fleet in the whole galaxy...

i guess it would depend.

if by this time, humanity is still earth-centric, then i think historians will consider it a SW if, and only if, the fighting threatens earth.

devil's advocate: but dreamweaver, wouldn't that mean that the sharon apple incident would be SW2??

dreamweaver: :wacko::wacko:

SW1, I think, is sorta in analogy to WW1/WW2. SW2 would have to be a conflict so vast, it encompasses all of the now-dispersed branches of humanity. That seems exceedingly unlikely, so it seems like there'll never be a SW2. But you never know.

There have been many small brush wars in the world since 1945, but you wouldn't have called any of them World War III just because they took place on Earth.

Edited by DeeBot

SW1, I think, is sorta in analogy to WW1/WW2. SW2 would have to be a conflict so vast, it encompasses all of the now-dispersed branches of humanity. That seems exceedingly unlikely, so it seems like there'll never be a SW2. But you never know.

There have been many small brush wars in the world since 1945, but you wouldn't have called any of them World War III just because they took place on Earth.

yes, precisely. it's a homage to WW1/WW2. and you're right, given that the humans have dispersed, it would have to be an enemy with enough numbers and with capability for instantaneous fold that would threaten all planets and fleets of humanity (vajra, anyone) for it to be considered SW2.

On the other hand, like i said, if humanity is still earth-centric (meaning, earth is still considered the HOMEworld, and the other worlds and fleets merely "branches"), earth-based historians might very well label it already as SW2, even though the majority of humans are somewhere else.

Taksraven

i am referring to the meltran/zentradi point of view story sir ^_^

Macross and MSG is the two anime franchise that I know is popular and have several series and movies. In case of MSG, I think the development of new series is decided by Bandai and Tomino (originally), Bandai as the main sponsor IMO wants new MSG series over the decade to push the Gunpla sales, renewing the franchise for each generation in Japan.

In case of Macross I don't really know since Bandai doesn't involved directly with it, and AFAIK has been solely the work of Kawamori alone (story concept and main mecha designer?).

I wonder if future Macross series doesn't involve Kawamori at all (like Macross II which in the end only accepted as alternate universe).

Besides, do you accept any valk design that is not Hory Froating Head original? :huh:

Make your own Macross show if you want to see a different one. :rolleyes:

Taksraven

You ask people what they think should happen and where the show should go in your first post and then make snide comments about it just because they don't like essentially the same stories over and over? You may as well make this comment about every post in the thread since it's all about a different Macross. Do people not complain of repetitive sequels? Basically you're agreeing that Macross is repetitive and self-plagiarizing. PARDON ME for getting a little tired of it after almost 30 years. I'd rather they end the show than cling to the same old formula. There is lots of potential in the Macross universe for good storytellers.

Edited by Max Jenius

Personally, I'd like to see something set between the two biggest timeline gaps in the franchise: the time between SDF:M and Plus, as well as the time between M7 and MF. Unfortunately, the reality is that each new Macross series is created to sell new Valkyries. We already have established Valkyries for those time periods, so revisiting them would probably require concocting more new Valkyrie designs, which I wouldn't want to see. I don't want to see the Macross universe get stuffed with a zillion Valkyrie variations like Gundam.