Playstation 3 Thread Round 3

Gaijin

I may buy LBP one of these days, just to see what everyone has been creating but I can understand why people didn't buy it. It looks too damn cute, most people just want steroid enhanced supersoldiers that spit out witty comments every 5 seconds. As for valkyria chronicles, thats an easy skip for me.

Heard it before.

It was funny how Bestbuy, Sony and Blu-ray tried to pass the buck until they were served notice that BestBuy had entered into a contract to sell the Sony PS3 contingent on the free Blu-ray disks and that Disney Blu-ray, as an agent of Sony, had failed to deliver the requested disks.

Bestbuy, Breach of contract

Sony, Fraud

Disney Blu-ray, Negligence

Of course had copies of the advertisement, receipts, three separate requests mailed to Blu-ray to get the disks and transcripts of the phone calls to Bestbuy, Sony, and Blu-ray customer care.

Two weeks later I had the disks and an apology.

All tactics learned dealing with Microsoft over the X360.

Good thing that mail-in offers are now illegal in Canada... too bad the US still has to deal with them.

Wha? :blink:

Sounds like LBP was best before they started cracking down on the copyright/IP issues. Parodies of certain well known franchises (sci-fi and non), for example...

I've gotta wait til Christmas to open my copy of Valkyria Chronicals and Resistance2. As for LBP perhaps it'll pick up after the holiday season here in the states. Games like Okami, LBP and Katamari unforunately don't seem to do well here, I personally think these games are diamonds in the rough....how many shooters can the industry produce before gamers get bored?!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27

Amazon sale is going on now. Motorstorm Pacific Rift for 40.00 is the deal of the day.

Tomb Raider Underworld is the next Lightning deal is now gone

edit: now the deal of the day is fallout 3 for 49.99. collectors edition at amazon is 59.99

this sale kinda stinks.

Edited by bandit29

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27

Amazon sale is going on now. Motorstorm Pacific Rift for 40.00 is the deal of the day.

Tomb Raider Underworld is the next Lightning deal is now gone

edit: now the deal of the day is fallout 3 for 49.99. collectors edition at amazon is 59.99

this sale kinda stinks.

Yeah, they only had 9 deals and they were only games that no one cares about.

Sounds like LBP was best before they started cracking down on the copyright/IP issues. Parodies of certain well known franchises (sci-fi and non), for example...

exactly how I feel about LBP, it is cute and pretty but remind me too much of those brothers.

Played the Valkyria Chronicles demo. Pretty good! It's like what Ring of Red should have been. I put it on my Amazon Wishlist and if I don't get it for X-mas, I'll pick it up myself.

For me to buy VC, can you skip animated battle scenes? I hated RoR and never finished it because of that.

For me to buy VC, can you skip animated battle scenes? I hated RoR and never finished it because of that.

Hmmm... I didn't try, but then again they aren't nearly as long as RoR. Also, you have control over your individual soldiers, so you have a bigger role in their actions when they attack.

RoR's animated battle scenes were terrible. They were fun at first, but when it started taking 4-5 hours to finish a battle (with no chance to save until it was done), it got really obnoxious.

Did you try the demo, yet? If not, I suggest you take a stab at it and see what you think.

Good deal, thanks! WIth my $10 off from Mirror's Edge, this is a cool $29.98 game!

That reminds me..Devil May Cry 4 was in the 30 dollar rack at Target. I would have snatched it up, but as is I already have too much on my plate, and really don't feel like spending anymore on video games this year. Maybe not even until March, or whenever the hell I finish Fallout 3. :rolleyes:

Still rearranging stuff in my room to accomodate PS3. I had my PStwo on top of my DVD player, but PS3 is replacing DVD player and I can't stack PStwo on top any more. Pretty sure I have to put my Dreamcast into storage, and only have PS3/PStwo/360/GC hooked up.

Picked up the new mini-keyboard attachment, and it's actually pretty cool. It has a feature that lets you brush your fingers over the keys to act like a touch mouse that can be turned on & off.

• 2 weeks later...

Help Needed ASAP

During the last 1 hour my PS3 isn't working. I turn it on and get this message that the system is too hot.

Here's how I used the system today.

1. Played MSG online for 2 hours straight followed by 1/2 an hour on the web browser. I have used it for long periods before and it has never over heated.

2. Moved the system from under the entertainment cabinet to more easy to reach location with more room for air. I didn't bump or drop the PS3. Planning on taking it to a different location today.

3. After a hour of the system being off popped in the Serenity Blu-Ray two minutes later got a warning that the System was too hot let it rest. Did that for 10 minutes tried a game disc same issue. Waited 30 minutes tried to clear away vents. Turned it on again. Placed in no disc just scrolling around the games and movie clip that are already on it. A couple minute later same thing.

Additonal Information: Doesn't feel hot or even warm. PS3 went from an Off position (currently in a cold room) to HOT after a couple of minutes. I think I here regular noises from the machine. I don't hear the fan going in over drive or anything like that. Do I hear the fan? Not sure mine is rarely that loud.

God it doesn't end. Read a few forum posts and PS own help pages.

Sounds like a send for serving issue. Bad news mine is a few months past warranty. For them to service it I'd have to pay a flat charge of $150 that covers, shipping, repairs or replacement if they can't repair it. Do I even have $150? Do to the economy everyone at work is working less. The money I have left over after bills from my pay check was $100. I have enough money in checking and saving to cover $150 or even a new PS3 but that is suppose to be emergency money. I have new Xmas games and movies. Now I might have to wait two months before I can use them.

God it doesn't end. Read a few forum posts and PS own help pages.

Sounds like a send for serving issue. Bad news mine is a few months past warranty. For them to service it I'd have to pay a flat charge of $150 that covers, shipping, repairs or replacement if they can't repair it. Do I even have $150? Do to the economy everyone at work is working less. The money I have left over after bills from my pay check was $100. I have enough money in checking and saving to cover $150 or even a new PS3 but that is suppose to be emergency money. I have new Xmas games and movies. Now I might have to wait two months before I can use them.

I can help. PM sent.

Every thing is update. Checked so last night. I'm thinking it might be the fan or something. System stays on for about 5 minutes top before getting to hot. I don't hear the fan at all this time. I'll need to research things in the next couple days before contacting the service centers.

Hi all,

About 3 weeks ago I bought a new 80 GB ps3. Played MGS4, Virtua Tennis 3, a few game demos and spiderman 3 bluray disc. Then, about 2 days ago, my ps3 started to freeze whenever I try to quit playing virtua tennis 3. It happens every time I try to quit the game. Ive never had this kind of problem before, even when playing MGS4. I can, however, occasionally, get to the menu screen with a probability of my ps3 not freezing up 2 in 10 trials.

And ever since the problem started, sometimes my ps3 also freezes when I try to load game demos. Has anyone encountered this problem before? I read message boards and from what I read, it is not a common thing; could be a problem with the HD and so far the solution that people have been resorting to is by sending the console back to sony for replacements. I know I kinda answers my own question here but just wondering if anyone here has ever experienced the same thing?

Focker, what model (60, 40, 80 gig) ? Off hand, it does kinda sound like your fan died for some reason, have you ever used an intercooler/ I've heard those can cause problems. Maybe there's some kinda crazy dust obstructing it? Have you tried running canned air into the intakes?

Hi all,

About 3 weeks ago I bought a new 80 GB ps3. Played MGS4, Virtua Tennis 3, a few game demos and spiderman 3 bluray disc. Then, about 2 days ago, my ps3 started to freeze whenever I try to quit playing virtua tennis 3. It happens every time I try to quit the game. Ive never had this kind of problem before, even when playing MGS4. I can, however, occasionally, get to the menu screen with a probability of my ps3 not freezing up 2 in 10 trials.

And ever since the problem started, sometimes my ps3 also freezes when I try to load game demos. Has anyone encountered this problem before? I read message boards and from what I read, it is not a common thing; could be a problem with the HD and so far the solution that people have been resorting to is by sending the console back to sony for replacements. I know I kinda answers my own question here but just wondering if anyone here has ever experienced the same thing?

Try deleting your save for that game as it maybe corrupted, or just hope they push thru. I've had it once where LBP locked up when it said it was writing to the HD, had do hard reset it, then it didn't load. Some people with that issue said they had to erase the save to fix it, but luckily it worked for me on the 2nd attempt.

Focker I'd repeat what other said, try using a decent vacuum on the ducts even. If not try to open it up and run it if the warranty is void and you're comforable with electronics like that.

Try deleting your save for that game as it maybe corrupted, or just hope they push thru. I've had it once where LBP locked up when it said it was writing to the HD, had do hard reset it, then it didn't load. Some people with that issue said they had to erase the save to fix it, but luckily it worked for me on the 2nd attempt.

Focker I'd repeat what other said, try using a decent vacuum on the ducts even. If not try to open it up and run it if the warranty is void and you're comforable with electronics like that.

Now that you mentioned it, it does seem that my ps3 started behaving like that ever since I played virtua tennis. Ill delete the game saves from that game and see if thatll work. I do however hope that I dont have to delete the saves from MGS4.....all that hard work for getting the stealth and the flintgun

Thank you very much!

PS: I tried it and it works! The game doesnt even pause like it used to when I quit the game. Thanks Wes! Really appreciate your effort helping a member here. Gonna try it a couple of times now to double check.

EDITED : It seems that it may either be the saves from virtua tennis 3 OR ninja gaiden sigma demo (which saves the game automatically when youre playing)....why would a demo have to be saved? It may have been the bugs/issues from the partially developed game...Just letting everyone know

EDITED 2 : Hmmm...now that I played virtua tennis again and save it at some point, my console started to freeze again when I quit....funny thing is that now it will load the game back if I wait long enough...Could it be the game? I checked the back of the disc and its scratch free....bought it new a couple of days ago

EDITED 3 : Could it be caused by the fact that the HDMI cable that I use is version 1.3 type B instead of 1.3 type A? I read PS knowledge center and it says ps3 only accepts HDMI ver 1.3 type A...but I wonder why it works before when I played MGS4....thats weird...the problem only started after I played virtua tennis 3...I think Ill wait for my other games to arrive and see if the same problem still persist with the other games before sending the console back to Sony...

Edited by aaajin

Called Sony rep and it seems that the middle aged woman at the other end of the line didnt even know HDMI exists! I ended up explaining things to her instead of the other way round. Dunno how she ended up in customer support... :) (funny how she tongue twisted whenever she wanted to say H.D.M.I)

But anyway, after reading Sony Online Knowledge Center, it seems that PS3 is only compatible with HDMI type A. Is this true? Has anyone here who are using HDMI type B had any problem similar to mine? Here's the link :

http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/pl...php?p_faqid=262

I tried switching my cable with my housemate's HDMI cable type A that he got from an XBOX 360 Elite and it worked fine. For the mean time, I'm gonna buy an extra HDMI cable type A and see if itll work. Thanks in advanced for any suggestions/helps

But anyway, after reading Sony Online Knowledge Center, it seems that PS3 is only compatible with HDMI type A. Is this true? Has anyone here who are using HDMI type B had any problem similar to mine? Here's the link :

http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/pl...php?p_faqid=262

That...doesn't make sense. The 1.3b standard only has to do with deep color additional abilities, which because few displays are using it could be vaporware. The cable should be capable of playing it, but shouldn't determine the signal. If the PS3 can only do 1.3a, then that's all that'll go out. I lent my mom my PS3 with one of those Monoprice cables for awhile so they could see Bluray on their new tv and I never heard them have issues. The only other thing is I have Ninja Gaiden Sigma, but I never had it saving when I didn't want it to.

Sorry if your system is only giving you more questions than answers.

Thanks for the reply again. I guess youre right about the cable. I read somewhere online about the differences between type A and B. Type 1.3b implements stricter compliance standards for the manufacturers, in other words, type B should be more reliable than type A.

And I think I finally figured out the problem with my ps3. Well, its not actually the PS3. Its the monitor! I tried my PS3 on the plasma TV in my living room and it has no problem displaying the menu after quitting the game (virtua tennis 3). I guess they were right about PS3 having only 1% returns compared to 33% of the other consoles...

Actually I found out what's the problem after splitting the audio out from my ps3 to the component cable instead of thru the HDMI. When the screen went blank, the sound can still be heard (the clicking sound when you browse thru the menu) but no image on the LCD. Also, when the screen went blank, if I turn the monitor off and on, the image will display.

The LCD display Im using is the ASUS VK246H which has great image quality at 1080p. Too bad now I have to do these "extra" steps to run my ps3 on it...or maybe it only exists when playing Virtua tennis 3 since I had no problem at all playing MGS4 before this. Ill try my other games when they arrive next week. Hope the problem only occurs for Virtua tennis 3. Did anybody play this game before? Any problems with it?

Thanks for all your help Wes.

EDITED : found the exact same problem as mine :

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_...pic_id=25820571

Guess its the monitor....but its strange bcause MGS4 played on the monitor flawlessly....but at least now I have a peace of mind knowing the PS3/monitor is not broken or anything...phew...spent the whole day trying to figure this thing out...

Edited by aaajin