Bandai/Tamashi Nations 1/100 lineup. 2009 takeoff!

UN Spacy

Hopefully mine will be arriving today or tomorrow from HLJ.

Seriously, I shouldn't have ordered from HLJ. I was scared of a repeat of the model kit situation of them not being available for ages, of of the DX situation with them selling at really high price, but it turns out that quite a few shops here have them and not too crazy price either.

When I saw it in the shop yesterday, it did look really tiny.

Even though I haven't handled it yet, I also don't know why they designed it that you need to swap out so many parts. Really, it is totally feasible to design it with less parts swapping.

Again my guess is a tier 3 design team. :(

Graham

Good call on the design time.

The problem is that they've tried to retain as much transformation as possible in the tortso which has required such a large number of swappable parts.

The torso actually transforms almost exactly like the DX and kit.

I would have preffered larger pieces and less of them. Having a transformed torso, a gerwalk torso and a fighter fuselage would not have been a big issue for me.

Edited by Alex

Checked prices in a couple of shops here today, both were selling for HK$350, which is about US$46.

Graham

Same price they're going for over here. Which is the same price as a perfect transformation 1/72 WITH fast-packs. The SAME price fer cryin out loud ^_^

With all negative feedbacks, frankly speaking I`ve cancelled my VF-25G preorder from HLJ, from now on I`ll stick ONLY with Yamato 1/60 ver. 02

There actually hasn't really been that much feedback yet.

I've been a lifelong opponent of parts-swapping. Even when I was a kid I had a couple of toys that required part swapping to transform and I vividly remember my dislike and frustration with them. I'd like to get over that though. One of the main reasons I'm giving the 1/100 a chance is to broaden my horizens. I'm sure I'll really dislike swapping all those parts, but I've got my fingers crossed that it wont be so bad. :)

I don't enjoy building models, but I also know this will be absolutely nothing like assembling a model kit where you have before you a tray full of hundreds of unpainted pieces that need to be carefully cut off sprues, glued together, sanded, painted, clear-coated, etc. ;)

I don't enjoy building models, but I also know this will be absolutely nothing like assembling a model kit where you have before you a tray full of hundreds of unpainted pieces that need to be carefully cut off sprues, glued together, sanded, painted, clear-coated, etc.

It will also most likely survive in my hands, which is the main reason I was excited when the Fire Valkyrie was announced, I need a replacement for my 1/100 plamo version.

Couple of more galleries courtesy of Ngee Khiong.

SR../Blood Zwei

Toysdaily #1

Toysdaily #2

Link no. 3 is quite interesting because it shows you the main VF frame without all the swappable bits.

I really like Battroid mode and its range of articulation. And it does look like there is a pilot figure, albeit part of the cockpit mold.

Can't wait for a VF-19S to roll out, hopefully without the Yamato gangling legs interpretation that Bandai seems to be copying.

Thanks for the links. Looks like the closed gunpod is really bent out of shape.. That sucks. I wonder if there is a way to make it straight. Other than that, I wish that Bandai had included a stand.

Looks like the gunpod is made of PVC. I heard PVC can be straightened by putting it in hot water, straightening it out, and cooling it in cold water.

Not sure if that's the best method.

Looks like the gunpod is made of PVC. I heard PVC can be straightened by putting it in hot water, straightening it out, and cooling it in cold water.

Not sure if that's the best method.

:/ PVC again? I thought Bandai would learn better after their VF-25S head lasers. It's not like the gun is a thin fragile part where bendy-ness would be good.

Thanks for the links. Looks like the closed gunpod is really bent out of shape.. That sucks. I wonder if there is a way to make it straight. Other than that, I wish that Bandai had included a stand.

Funny thing is that it includes support for the stand that was linked before, but only for Battroid and Gerwalk modes, not for Fighter :blink:

And a word of advice... the shield's plastic is EXTREMELY thin. Last night when trying to attach it to the arm, I heard a cracking sound. Nothing broke but it ended up a bit bent. To avoid that, I recommend puting something in the shield's gap while attaching it to the arm (the knife works) to avoid cracking the peg.

post-322-1236132656_thumb.jpg

post-322-1236132671_thumb.jpg

This pic shows how many parts are left after changing it to fighter.

post-322-1236132692_thumb.jpg

I insist, at least the gunpod, the nosecone and the shoulders should not need to be swapped.

I was reading (using google translate) the reviews in Amazon Japan and, basically, people don't like it. Many are also cancelling their pre-orders for the rest. Some even recommended the kit. Yes, the kit needs paint and it takes longer to assemble but it's just one time (and you're left with less parts) :mellow:

post-322-1236132713_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all your cancellations, guys, there goes any chance of getting anything else made in this line.

Vostok 7

You got it all wrong. "Thanks for your cancellations guys, this will convince Bandai that their future 1/100s will have to be of a greater quality if they really want them to sell!"

If I see lots of preorders and then lots of cancellations I see lots of demand be turned away by my crap product... but at least I see the demand was there.

From everything I've read I'm not the least bit convinced that this toy is as 'terrible' as some people are assuming. Luckily I'll have mine tomorrow or the next day so I can decide for myself. :)

I've been reading the comments & reviews of Japanese fans. The general consensus and main gripe seems to be - it's overpriced. That the price should be 2500yen. Over-priced for a parts-forming HCM-Pro-like toy.

*On a positive note there hasn't been any reports of major QC problems or breakages. Yet.

Most don't have issues with the proportions. Fighter and gerwalk mode is pretty much perfect to most. For battroid mode, there are some who feel that the DX's chunkier proportions is better.

There was one reviewer who felt Bandai perhaps should've started with the more simple VF-1 rather than tackling the complex VF-25 before gaining any experience.

I was checking out some of the parts this morning and it would have been entirely doable (even mod-able) to have the crotch piece NOT be a swappable piece.

Even the noce cone could have easily have been made to do this.

On a plus note, I have to say That the Gerwalk on this is far better than the kit and DX a s you can leave the wing roots attached but still angle the legs into a nice A-stance.

Edited by Alex

It's so ironic that you guys can see how this toy could have been made better, but Bandai's team of designers (guys with experience and degrees in design) couldn't. How lame. I'll wait for these to go down. Really liking the fighter mode. The lack of open-handed hands is ridiculous. If you're going to have a toy with extra fixed-pose hands, those should be standard. WTF, Bandai! You're the biggest toymaker in Japan, and you're making errors like this?!

They saw fit to include two different types of grasping hands though. Pointless.

I'm proberly going to mod the fighter mode crotch piece since it has the detail already sculpted into it even thoiugh it is not intended to be seen.

All that it needs is a small hinge (and a little paint) and it will eliminate the need for the legs to be taken off between fighter and battroid. Gerwalk is another story though.

Edited by Alex

Looks like the 1/100 is going through the opposite process from the DX toy--- the DX toy was panned in the discussions here, but sold spectacularly. On the other hand, the 1/100 made pretty good impressions here but the sales seem to be dismal, if shops are already giving things like discounts on it. That doesn't bode well for the VF100s lineup. :( Looks like 1/60 is the way to go then.

Looks like the 1/100 is going through the opposite process from the DX toy--- the DX toy was panned in the discussions here, but sold spectacularly. On the other hand, the 1/100 made pretty good impressions here but the sales seem to be dismal, if shops are already giving things like discounts on it. That doesn't bode well for the VF100s lineup. sad.gif Looks like 1/60 is the way to go then.
Shows how different the target market is.

Lousy visual design is subjective, lousy engineering is objective.

Dx is mechanically solid but looks crap, the VF100 looks just as bad but has 2 billion parts and not only looks cheap, feels cheap but also isn't cheap.

Very true! I should be receiving my 1/100 in a few days.. we shall see how it goes. Worst case, they become permanent displays on my wall cabinet ;)

Lousy visual design is subjective, lousy engineering is objective.

Dx is mechanically solid but looks crap, the VF100 looks just as bad but has 2 billion parts and not only looks cheap, feels cheap but also isn't cheap.

Few have objected to the looks. Most think it's pretty decent if not superb.

Some of the more objective reviewers believe that a few minor tweaks to the engineering (such as tighter joints) could make this toy more favorable.

I'm sure that improvements will come as the line moves on.

Edited by Vifam7

...why are people complaining about the thing being a partsformer when they knew beforehand that it would be a partsformer from hell? :huh:

That's what I'd like to know. Meanwhile there's me, who originally didn't want this because it was a partsformer, but decided to look past my dislike and get one anyway. Mine just arrived from HLJ and I'll be able to crack it open tonight. Can't wait!

My first thought upon looking at it in the box: "Wow, it looks exactly the same size that I expected a 1/100 VF-25 to look!" :D