TR2N

Only if you signed on intellectual property agreement beforehand. At the time of the original Tron that was somewhat rare, and in that case it would go to court - usually if you wrote something (and only tested and kept code at HOME) you had the ability to claim it was seperate from work. If you used any equipment from work, or had the code on a work machine of any kind you would lose.

I didn't have to sign my first agreement of that type in 92 or so, even then it was "optional", of course so was the job...

Last but not least, some of these agreements cover ANYTHING that you create while working for a company, you make it then they own it. I'd suppose this last type could be challenged in court and voided, but I've not heard of any direct cases - plenty of indirect ones like the Brats dolls though.

(Seems like I've gone off on a tangent again)

I make engineers sign non-disclosure, non-compete agreements all the time. I tell them, "you work for me and I own your mind" but I usually say it in a way that they laugh. If they develop something, and it doesn't screw up mh business, I tell em to go for it.

They weren't rare at all back then. There's couple of very famous stories that illustrate it actually, like the creation of the post-it and Apple computers.

I actually remember those case studies from business school. That's why I made my post in the first place.

Edited by Agent ONE

I had to sign my first agreement back in 1989 when working for the M.O.D. subsequent engineering jobs all had them, all but 2 of my I.T jobs have had them. A large media company (no name) I worked for encouraged you to think up stuff they could use. A idea I first penned has now been developed and if I was still there I would have been in for a great pay out. Suffice to say nowadays you are silly if you don't sign an agreement.

• 3 weeks later...

just got to see TRON LEGACY yesterday (1/16/11) with my family for my upcoming birthday (1/23/1982)

it really was special for me, as, while i was but an infant when TRON hit theaters in '82,

i had always enjoyed the movie throughout my childhood in the late 1980's and all through the 1990s to present.

it brings a further sense of deep spiritual connection to me, that i very much appreciate.

only way it could have been any better is if we had seen the film on my exact B-Day, but never mind that.

i went to the movie with no small trepidation, expecting a vapid "Summer Popcorn Movie" in the dead of winter,

however, i left the theater finding myself impressed instead.

for me, this really did feel like a meaningful sequel. i feel they did an excellent job of reflecting the modern state of computer tech,

in just as effective a fashon as they did with the first movie.

they showed you that, while the computer world has advanced remarkably far in the thirty years since the original, far more than anyone might have imagined

in 1982, it is still a very imperfect place.

there was also a real heart and soul to this sequel, and i won't give it away to those who haven't yet seen it.

i have the old 2001 20th Anniv. DVD release of TRON (1982) as well as it's accompanying CD soundtrack, the very first

ever release of the movie's soundtrack on CD.

i'll be adding TRON LEGACY's DVD and BRD releases to my collection, as well as the CD soundtrack...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got the tron/legacy 2D/3D set in the glowy disc case... glowy case could stand to be a little more glowy.

I went for the seperate releases of Tron & Legacy, didn't like that they stacked the disc's on top of each other in the Identity Disc version.

I've only just now seen the movie. Long time fan of the original. Good, not great, but still enjoyable. The high points for me were the original TRON arcade game rebadged as an Encom release in the old Flynn's arcade, accompanied by Journey (very, very cool), and the rest of the audio/soundtrack as a whole... I quite liked the re-use of so many of the original's sound effects (and those from the Tron 2.0 pc game), and of course the great compositions and cameo from Daft Punk.

I'm still struck by how much Jeff looks like Lloyd these days :)

I went for the seperate releases of Tron & Legacy, didn't like that they stacked the disc's on top of each other in the Identity Disc version.

yeah, it makes it a pain to take discs out. oh well, still neat to have the glowy disk.

Just watched Legacy the other day. I think the biggest surprise to me was how "Dude" like Flynn had become, but putting him into the whole Apple scenario legitimizes that. I think the biggest question that the 3rd movie will have to answer now (for me), is if "all" programs live in a sentient alternate computer world, or just the ones based on Flynn's video games/encom system. The roundabouted the issue in this movie by having things take place in a fully closed system. We know the MCP had taken over competing companies through the primative internet, but that still doesn't tell us much about what was in those systems it took over.

Another curiosity, why didn't Sam exibit any "user powers."? There were plenty of opportunities for him to take over or influence things, but it never quite happened.

Anyway, loved the movie, awesome looking bluray. Tron's remaster is also surprisingly good looking.

I've only just now seen the movie. Long time fan of the original. Good, not great, but still enjoyable. The high points for me were the original TRON arcade game rebadged as an Encom release in the old Flynn's arcade, accompanied by Journey (very, very cool), and the rest of the audio/soundtrack as a whole... I quite liked the re-use of so many of the original's sound effects (and those from the Tron 2.0 pc game), and of course the great compositions and cameo from Daft Punk.

I'm still struck by how much Jeff looks like Lloyd these days :)

I just got the DVD a few days ago. I would agree that all the high points for me was all the "old school" Tron stuff they put in there, even Dillinger's son working for Encom was so cool. However, for me there was alot missing, mainly...TRON!!!!! The scenes with him in it were few, and hard to see that it was him! I hope he gets a bigger role in the anime. BTW did anyone else think Flynn's son looked a little "chunky" in his tron suit? :D

BTW did anyone else think Flynn's son looked a little "chunky" in his tron suit? :D

I just thought he was a bad actor, period. I even hated the way he drank his beer-he "knocked it back" because he was trying to be so cool. I dunno I guess you'd have to watch him to see what I'm babbling about. I'm pretty sure this guy and Hayden Christensen went to the same acting school...

I just thought he was a bad actor, period. I even hated the way he drank his beer-he "knocked it back" because he was trying to be so cool. I dunno I guess you'd have to watch him to see what I'm babbling about. I'm pretty sure this guy and Hayden Christensen went to the same acting school...

"You're just afraid of my power."

BTW did anyone else think Flynn's son looked a little "chunky" in his tron suit? :D

I just saw the original Tron for the first time (well, most of it) a couple weeks ago. Looking chunky was the name of the game in that movie, the suits looked like baggy sweatsuits with neon stickers on them. (Yes I'm being a bit unfair, no I don't care).

Just watched Legacy the other day. I think the biggest surprise to me was how "Dude" like Flynn had become, but putting him into the whole Apple scenario legitimizes that. I think the biggest question that the 3rd movie will have to answer now (for me), is if "all" programs live in a sentient alternate computer world, or just the ones based on Flynn's video games/encom system. The roundabouted the issue in this movie by having things take place in a fully closed system. We know the MCP had taken over competing companies through the primative internet, but that still doesn't tell us much about what was in those systems it took over.

Another curiosity, why didn't Sam exibit any "user powers."? There were plenty of opportunities for him to take over or influence things, but it never quite happened.

Anyway, loved the movie, awesome looking bluray. Tron's remaster is also surprisingly good looking.

I think in the sequels he will go all jedi on us. The lack of Sam taking his Father's place, and seeing Tron live totally leave openings for sequels.