Graham reviews the new Yamato 1/60 VF-1

Shawn

heres a hypothetical situation...

me - yo dude i just picked up the new legioss!

eugimon - get out, i just picked one up too! how much did you pay for yours?

me - i got it for $100, what about you?

eugimon - WTF! i paid $150 for mine, i got ripped off! :angry:

anyway, thats how i was using the term "ripped off".

why people take my posts so literally and try to pick it apart word for word, i don't know? :unsure:

I still wouldn't say I got ripped off, maybe I paid too much but I wasn't ripped off. I paid, what I thought was a fair price and I got the item I was promised.

But look, just because you got a better deal then me, doesn't mean I was ripped off. Ripped off comes with all sorts of implied meanings.. it's a loaded word.

That's not being "ripped off" it's called dealer markup.

Not everyone is going to price their stuff exactly the same, infact, its practically encouraged to sell at their policy. For instance, I go to walmart and buy a transformer for 9.96. Then at target its 9.99, and toysrus is 11.99.

Dealers can mark their crap up however they want. if the toy cost them 50 dollars, list was 62, they could sell it 105 and turn almost a 40+ dollar profit.

So in essence, if someone paid 100 for something and the buddy paid 150 per the example, th no one got ripped off, just wasnt a smart shopper.

hence why I look around for what i want and not go with the most popular choice at times.

That's not being "ripped off" it's called dealer markup.

I think the point is that people call it being ripped off, not whether it fits the exact literal definition of being ripped off. When people buy something and then find out they can get it from somewhere cheaper, their first response is to say they were ripped off. If someone I know buys something at what I think is too high a price, I would tell him he got ripped off and could have got for x amount of money at this other place.

I think the point is that people call it being ripped off, not whether it fits the exact literal definition of being ripped off. When people buy something and then find out they can get it from somewhere cheaper, their first response is to say they were ripped off. If someone I know buys something at what I think is too high a price, I would tell him he got ripped off and could have got for x amount of money at this other place.

Right, but as I said, you gotta do smart shopping, espically on the internet. For instance, if I wanted to get a season of Dragonball on DVD, I could go to bestbuy, pay 30 bucks, plus shipping another 10 for shipping, OR I could go to amazon, pay 15 for the DVD, and probably 8 for the shipping and I still saved almost half the cost.

There's a little notation on my stuff when I look up accessories on Cars, "THE FOLLOWING IS SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICING BY NISSAN. DEALERS MAY MARK UP ACCORDING TO HOWEVER THEY WISH TO SELL FOR RETAIL."

If I got a trailer hitch ball mount, and it's 39 bucks my cost, and 53 for retail, if it doesn't sell very often, I'll sell it for 62 bucks, if it's a HOT item, I'll sell it for 80 cause I know it's something a customer wants.

Their choice though if they want it right now, or get it elsewhere.

Again, I go to YesAsia for a VF-1A, it's 150+ dollars, I go Overdrive, I pay 80+ for the figure, 40+ on the FAST Packs, then shipping, and waddaya know I probably hit that 150 dollar mark that YesAsia wanted on just the toy.

Dealer Markups, they suck I know, but what are ya gonna do? Ya shop elsewhere.

Right, but as I said, you gotta do smart shopping, espically on the internet. For instance, if I wanted to get a season of Dragonball on DVD, I could go to bestbuy, pay 30 bucks, plus shipping another 10 for shipping, OR I could go to amazon, pay 15 for the DVD, and probably 8 for the shipping and I still saved almost half the cost.

There's a little notation on my stuff when I look up accessories on Cars, "THE FOLLOWING IS SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICING BY NISSAN. DEALERS MAY MARK UP ACCORDING TO HOWEVER THEY WISH TO SELL FOR RETAIL."

If I got a trailer hitch ball mount, and it's 39 bucks my cost, and 53 for retail, if it doesn't sell very often, I'll sell it for 62 bucks, if it's a HOT item, I'll sell it for 80 cause I know it's something a customer wants.

Their choice though if they want it right now, or get it elsewhere.

Again, I go to YesAsia for a VF-1A, it's 150+ dollars, I go Overdrive, I pay 80+ for the figure, 40+ on the FAST Packs, then shipping, and waddaya know I probably hit that 150 dollar mark that YesAsia wanted on just the toy.

Dealer Markups, they suck I know, but what are ya gonna do? Ya shop elsewhere.

Yea, no I get what you're saying and I agree you gotta shop around (like my mama told me). Just saying that's how some people use the term. Speaking of Overdrive, I'm tryna decide whether to go with them or HLJ for the 1A. Any thoughts?

Speaking of Overdrive, I'm tryna decide whether to go with them or HLJ for the 1A. Any thoughts?

I'm deciding the same thing, I don't think HLJ has the preorder up yet which is a shock but then again it isn't out for 2 more months.

I have to say that even though I am totally broke and really waiting for the VF-1J hikaru and VF-1D, I am compelled to just buy this sucker asap! I cant resist the sexyness. I need to have this robot in my hands. Somehow! I should stay away from this wretched place.

thank you, thats pretty much what i was trying to say.

its my fault though, i should know by now they take everything literally here. :lol:

thank you, thats pretty much what i was trying to say.

its my fault though, i should know by now they take everything literally here. :lol:

Well, when you say things like so and so got ripped off by a seller... well, those can be fighting words considering how few sellers there are and most of these guys are small time and we actually know them. People like Kevin and Tam and even some of the HK guys post here or communicate with us... so understandably, it can cause people to stand up to defend them.

Honestly though, if you use loaded words and phrases, you shouldn't upset when other people call you on them or ask you to explain yourself.

It's out next month isn't it?

I'm confused myself. Some sites show a late august eta, others show end of september.

I keep checking hlj but they got nothing...i debate this mostly cause it was 50 dollars to ship my VF-1S and I was real pissed about that.

I pretty much wanna get either this or that wave 1/5000 macross as a birthday present for myself.

Well, when you say things like so and so got ripped off by a seller... well, those can be fighting words considering how few sellers there are and most of these guys are small time and we actually know them. People like Kevin and Tam and even some of the HK guys post here or communicate with us... so understandably, it can cause people to stand up to defend them.

Honestly though, if you use loaded words and phrases, you shouldn't upset when other people call you on them or ask you to explain yourself.

seeing as you're taking everything so literally, literally find the part where i said "so and so got ripped off by a seller"?

below is only post where i used the phrase "ripped off" but please enlighten me how i accused someone of something? and why i would need to explain myself....literally.

when the first 1/48 packaged w/FPs came out, the price was set at $165(overseas), $180-ish(from stateside vendors).

these should NOT cost more than that. if you're paying that much for a lesser toy, then you're getting ripped off.

yeah anyway, in true MW fashion, mountains out of mole hills. :lol:

seeing as you're taking everything so literally, literally find the part where i said "so and so got ripped off by a seller"?

below is only post where i used the phrase "ripped off" but please enlighten me how i accused someone of something? and why i would need to explain myself....literally.

yeah anyway, in true MW fashion, mountains out of mole hills. :lol:

dude, calm down, I'm referring to your own example:

eugimon - WTF! i paid $150 for mine, i got ripped off!

So who would have ripped me off then? Santa Claus? Obviously you must be telling me the seller got ripped off, right?

Look, we can't see your face or your expressions or the tone of your voice. We can only go by what you write. If you write something to be inflamatory, you can't get angry at us when we read that way and maybe have a reaction thats different from what you intended.

Anyways... moving along. I got my order from Kevin today. Box is a little dinged up, but oh well.

I like it. The shoulders are pretty scary and I use the same amount of care as when I handle my vf-0 toys. The swing bar latch on the fuselage is a bit tricky to work with. The balance is good, especially when the FAST packs are attached and I like the extram gimble on the strike cannon to allow for the 90 degree angle in battroid. Paint job is great, nice and clean, no sprays or overpaints.

I still don't like the proportions in fighter or gerwalk mode... after the 1/48, the nise just feels too short, though it maybe the case that the back of the fighter is actually too long... shrug.

Overall, personally, I don't like this new version enough to rebuy any of the 1/48's I own (other than the focker 1s) so I'll probably end up limiting any future purchases to the two seaters and maybe some non canon paint schemes if they ever get around to them.

Edited by eugimon

dude, calm down, I'm referring to your own example:

So who would have ripped me off then? Santa Claus? Obviously you must be telling me the seller got ripped off, right?

Look, we can't see your face or your expressions or the tone of your voice. We can only go by what you write. If you write something to be inflamatory, you can't get angry at us when we read that way and maybe have a reaction thats different from what you intended.

wow, you're taking a hypothetical situation i completely made up and filling in your own blanks...ooookay.

you're assuming alot and reading too much into my post. you and squid were the only ones that really had a problem with my post but i think even squid knows i wasn't calling anyone out. you on the otherhand still continue to assume the worst and thats something you need to work out.

BTW, i wasn't angry in the least, if anything i was just amused that my opinion is held in such high regard by you.

have a ncie day! :)

Ohhhhhh Yeeaahhhh! Just got mine today from HLJ via SAL. They shipped on 7/21 and I received it today 7/31. Not too bad of a wait. A little bummed about their packaging. The outer box was banged up a bit and caused some stress marks on the toy box :angry:

The toy itself looks flawless!! I haven't transformed her yet though...

1/48 stealth in awe of V.2 1/60 goodness... :lol::lol::lol:

post-6213-1217538964_thumb.jpg

wow, you're taking a hypothetical situation i completely made up and filling in your own blanks...ooookay.

you're assuming alot and reading too much into my post. you and squid were the only ones that really had a problem with my post but i think even squid knows i wasn't calling anyone out. you on the otherhand still continue to assume the worst and thats something you need to work out.

BTW, i wasn't angry in the least, if anything i was just amused that my opinion is held in such high regard by you.

have a ncie day! :)

nope, I didn't assume the worst at all. I didn't even take a side, I just posted what I felt being "ripped off" means. I posted that if someone knowingly buys something for a certain price and gets what they expected, they weren't ripped off. You were the one who came back and posted:

eugimon - WTF! i paid $150 for mine, i got ripped off!

So in fact, you were the one who steered the conversation to sellers and overcharging, not me. You then continue and make fun of people who aren't psychic and can't tell when you're joking or just amusing yourself. So perhaps you need to deal with your issues of feeling unjustly persecuted.

If I say, "if the buy gets what he expected at the price agreed upon, he wasn't ripped off" and you come back and say "but you paid too much and were ripped off because I got a better deal" then who is doing the "ripping off"? The seller, obviously. Therefore, it's perfectly justified for the reader, me, to assume that you're saying that sellers are ripping off their customers, which I disagree with and thus, that's how I replied back.

Again, the onus is on you, the writer, to make it clear to the reader what you are really trying to say. This isn't deconstructive poetry, we shouldn't need to sit down and try to parse out the true meaning of your posts.

And I am having a nice day, found my lost car keys and I got my ver. 2 1/60 in the mail today... and while I may not be in love with it, is certainly lots of fun.

Edited by eugimon

you're the ONLY ONE that steered the convo that way.

i don't remember mentioning any sellers, nor someone overcharging for anything, simply that if you paid more for something that someone got for less, that i consider that a rip off.

i should've just used the example of buying a new TV and left it at that since it seems my using the word "legioss" in my other example is now implying that i'm speaking about every macross vendor known to man and how they're ALL overcharging for everything....thats not you assuming or anything. :rolleyes:

i made up an example to show in which context i was using the phrase "ripped off" yet you're still assuming i was saying something else. raptor one explained it in clear english in which way i was using the term, everyone else got it but somehow you just can't grasp his nor my simple explanation, and you simply can't stop assuming.

i did NOT call out any seller, i did NOT call out anyone for overcharging, you just assumed i did and you know what they say about people who assume right?

please find me the post where i said either of the things that you're accusing me of and i'll put a sign around my neck that says i'm eugimons b1tch, suck my own cock and put the footage on youtube for all the world to see.

if you can't find any evidence of my doing either of the above without making one of your assumptions, stop replying and let it go.

BTW, thats not me being mad, thats me asking you to prove what you're assuming i said, which i believe is impossible but please feel free to try anyways.