does the scale matter?

arrow

It's a minor nitpick to be sure, but I'm one of the folks that prefer vehicles to be in scale to one another...

the 1/60 vf-1's look so smallish compared to the other 1/60s in the macross world- the sv-51, vf-0, yf-21 & yf-19, does the scale matter if you are going to display your valks together?

It's a matter of personal taste and opinion. Scale matters if you want to have all your toys "in scale". The VF-1 fighters were smaller fighters in comparison to the VF-0 and SV-51 enemy fighter planes. I personally like the larger 1/48 scale VF-1 planes which are actually about the same size in scale to the 1/60 scale VF-0 fighters, but this puts my toys "out of scale". Again, it's all a matter of personal taste and how important it is for the person collecting to have all their toys in the same scale. Scale doesn't matter to me because I started collecting out of scale because the 1/48's were the best version of the VF-1 fighter available when I got into the hobby. If I was just getting into the hobby I would certainly buy everything "in scale" since the v2 1/60 scale VF-1 fighters are much better looking and more detailed than the v1 1/60 scale fighters. They appear to be "scaled down" versions of the 1/48 VF-1's without losing any details; if anything they look at little bit better in their different configurations compared to the 1/48's. You will get many answers on your question, but this is one many opinions you will see.

the 1/60 vf-1's look so smallish compared to the other 1/60s in the macross world- the sv-51, vf-0, yf-21 & yf-19, does the scale matter if you are going to display your valks together?

If they are out of scale then how will you pair them up against each other? It'd look stupid. Personal taste of course.

I say keep it in scale, that way you have the added bonus of displaying them all together without looking funny.

I think this question applies to mainly the battroid mode freaks. (can't see the pilot)

doesn't really matter.. it all drills down to your personal preference

aesthetically, i prefer the 1/48 since they are more or less of the same "size" as the other mechas especially the recent releases. in a non-hobbyist sight (which generally doesn't have any idea at all as to what scale are the VF-1, 0, YF-19 etc. etc.) it looks more complimenting to see a display of different valkyries with the same sizes.

However the V.1 1/60 VF-1 series is of a completely different sculpt and design than the rest (VF-0, YF-19, YF-21, etc.). The V.2 1/60 coming out (in a few weeks?) will be of a similar sculpt and design to the rest. I personally think that theV.1 1/60 Vf-1 series suffers most in battroid but I love my Elintseeker in fighter mode and my Ostrich in half gerwalk. I also love my 1/48 VF-1s very much and although the scale is different than the rest (VF-0, YF-19, YF-21, etc.), the size is about the same.

definitly subjective.

Scale is everything to me. Plus---things shouldn't all be the same size! I mean, what if you had a Roy (the character, not the valk) and Mylene figure side-by-side---and they were the same size? Giant Mylene. Or tiny Roy. You'd probably want them to be the same SCALE, as Mylene SHOULD be a lot smaller than Roy. Making her bigger by adjusting her scale to "fit in" just looks weird.

Same with valks--a VF-1 should be smaller. Because it is smaller! Making it bigger to match the others is the same as making Mylene (or Ranka) bigger to match with Roy (or Ozma).

It is true. I tried to make a Hikaru in fight suit by decapitating an extra CMS roy and putting the head from the picture frame Hikaru on to the Roy body. Alone it looked alright but next to another (non altered) Roy, it looks silly. Hikaru should be much shorter than Roy.

What David said; All the same scale matters to me. Heck, Im still annoyed my Gundam 1/60 Exia pilot looks bigger than the Yamato Macross 1/60 stuff, and thats a different company. And what sold me on getting Bandais VF-25 stuff was that it would be in Scale with my Yammies!

That SAID, Im ok with the VF-11 being made bigger, as long as the cockpit is still in 1/60 scale. But thats because the 11 never looked all that small to me in the anime...

Scale especially matters with dioramas. My 1/48 macross factory (thanks again RON5864) houses two 1/48 VF-1 valks, a 1/48 hasegawa ground crew set and even a 1/48 office desk and chair that I got on ebay. It all fits together nicely and looks like an accurate miniature.

i separate my 1/48s from my 1/60s. dont like them all mixed up.

I've got 3 levels of display, middle (2nd) level has all 1/48's. The top and bottom floor as 1/60 ONLY.

I'm sorry, but the people who don't care about scales are just not placing enough effort into their displays.

Displaying scale with correct scale is taking the displaying technique to a higher level. imo.

That being said i guess size of display room matters, so if you've got a cramped display, then place them in there together.

Smaller figures like revoltechs, 1/100's, and gashapons don't really count, they are like little niknaks to spruce things up.

Scale matters to me as well. Shame that VF-1's are smaller than the rest (even against their predecessors, the VF-0!) but that's the way they were designed so I'll accept that and wouldn't compensate with a 1/48. Besides, the new 1/60 VF-1's are cheaper than the 1/48 :lol: so it won't break my bank that much yet :)

It didn't before....but now that Yamato and Bandai seem to be releasing everything in 1/60 my opinion has changed.

I hope the 1/48 lineup is dead as a doornail.

It didn't before....but now that Yamato and Bandai seem to be releasing everything in 1/60 my opinion has changed.

I hope the 1/48 lineup is dead as a doornail.

If ever the 1/48s continue, I'm guessing it'll be for VF-1's strictly. The other valks would be too big and too costly. The YF-21's about the same height as a 1/48 and that already costs a bundle. How much would that cost if it's upscaled to 1/48? besides, the 1/60 is big enough as it is, I'll find a 1/48 YF-21 uncomfortably large.

Scale is everything to me. Plus---things shouldn't all be the same size! I mean, what if you had a Roy (the character, not the valk) and Mylene figure side-by-side---and they were the same size? Giant Mylene. Or tiny Roy. You'd probably want them to be the same SCALE, as Mylene SHOULD be a lot smaller than Roy. Making her bigger by adjusting her scale to "fit in" just looks weird.

Same with valks--a VF-1 should be smaller. Because it is smaller! Making it bigger to match the others is the same as making Mylene (or Ranka) bigger to match with Roy (or Ozma).

Good analogy. I'm already out of scale so it doesn't matter to me. If anyone is just getting into the hobby, I would certainly say keep it scale with what's available today.

If ever the 1/48s continue, I'm guessing it'll be for VF-1's strictly. The other valks would be too big and too costly. The YF-21's about the same height as a 1/48 and that already costs a bundle. How much would that cost if it's upscaled to 1/48? besides, the 1/60 is big enough as it is, I'll find a 1/48 YF-21 uncomfortably large.

:lol: "uncomfortably large". True that!

OO

I want all SDF and DYRL items in 1/48... could care less about the rest. VF-1s, Destroids, Qraus, figures( human statuettes, Zenrans and Meltrans action figures), SDF... maybe not that one (well maybe just the bridge)... cars with the double wheels in front, Glaugs, Regults, N-Gers.

I wonder how the Cheyenne scales up with the VF-0...

The 1/48 scale SDF-1 bridge would be sweet and at the same time HUGE.

Oh my, that would be fantastic. With all the little figures, Gloval, Claudia, Misa, the brige bunnies, even just that one portion of it would not be too big if you did not include the whole "head" part.

I love keeping things in scale. I keep all my toys grouped by scale in the display cases. I even have a spot for my 1/100 Konig Monster, Toynami VF-1A Max, and one of those old 1/100 Bandai M7 VF-19 model kits.

That said, I'd still love a 1/48 scale VF-4 Lightning III, in addition to a 1/60 scale version to display with the rest of the toys. :lol:

Yamato.

If you're gonna focus on the 1/60's from now on then STICK WITH IT!

Quit revisiting the 1/48's, 1/72's, or 1/100's just to make a quick buck.

Either it's 1/60's or nothing.

the 1/48 isn't dead, it will now be the scale for LIMITED one offs only available in japan or special magazine contest for hardcore collectors, leaving the rest of us mere poor mortals biting our nails, hahaha

I'm a scale freak, when I started my collection I knew the 1/60 V1 and the 1/48 were both available but I went for the 1/60 and bought most of them until I got a stealth 1/48 and regreted so much not getting all the 1/48 instead, but now with the new 1/60 V2 coming, I'm gonna get those and use to display in gerwalk or battroid and leave my old 1/60 in fighter mode since it's the only way they look good...

place your 1/48 pilots next to your 1/60 pilots.

Good point and true but even within yamato's 1/60 scale there is some discrepancy.

Place your V.1 1/60 VF-1 pilots next to your VF-0, YF-19, YF-21 and SV-51 pilots too. All same scale but different in size.