Macross Frontier Episode 13 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 13 rating  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Episode 13 Rating

• Positive (OMG!!!!! MACROSS!!!!!!)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (Talk about Jumping the Shark...)

I'm surprised no one questioned why Grace, a cyborg, needed to wear glasses! If my wife went from blind as a bat to 20/20 with lasik in 2007 why can't cyborg's in 205X have perfect vision! Or is it all part of a well thought out disguise to divert suspision....

Let this be a warning, keep an eye on those female librarians, they could be evil cyborgs!

It is that superman complex you aren't suppose to suspect the foxy librarian lady.

I don't know if dialogue really supports this, but my idea was that overtechnology reactors involve somehow the fold dimension to work, so this D-pulse burst is a phenomenon the involves disturbance in the fold dimension and possibly the electromagnetic spectrum as well. In this sense, things that aren't powered by OT reactors obviously continue to work. The VF-27 could have been operational simply because the D-pulse burst was already ceased.

Keeping in mind that Macross was created by the same authors of Gundam, it wouldn't surprise me if originally there was supposed to be a pseudo-science based on the fold dimension to explain many aspects of overtechnology.

FV

I don't know if dialogue really supports this, but my idea was that overtechnology reactors involve somehow the fold dimension to work, so this D-pulse burst is a phenomenon the involves disturbance in the fold dimension and possibly the electromagnetic spectrum as well. In this sense, things that aren't powered by OT reactors obviously continue to work. The VF-27 could have been operational simply because the D-pulse burst was already ceased.

Keeping in mind that Macross was created by the same authors of Gundam, it wouldn't surprise me if originally there was supposed to be a pseudo-science based on the fold dimension to explain many aspects of overtechnology.

FV

That could very well be it.

Makes me wonder, was it been confirmed anywhere if fold reactors (mentioned by Luca in ep 7) are the same as fold drives? Or are they maybe a type of 'engine' in the same sense as the Reaction engines? (only more powerful/advanced/whatever) That's the only way I can make sense of Luca's shocked exclamation back in episode 7. (I mean it'd be pretty durn natural for a ship that just de-folded to have a fold drive).

Anyway, to get back on track. I just always assumed the VF-27 was operational in spite of the D-pulse burst because it had some counter-measures going since they knew it was coming. Since we don't know anything about the insides of it yet, anything is up to speculation, but I think its probably shock full of vajra derived tech, maybe even alternative power source that's immune to D-pulse. The vajra didn't seem very bothered by the D-pulse either, but we have no real idea when it was shut off.

Of course, now I see this theory ended up backwards, if the foldoperating engines are unaffacted, and those who don't operate on it, aren't. The Ex-gear was unaffected too... ah *confused* :unsure:

FV

Yeah..

Macross was created by Shoji Kawamori, a prolific anime creator and mech designer who also had a hand in the creation of Escaflowne.

The creator of Gundam is Yoshiyuki Tomino. He's one of the guys who was involved with anime from the beginning; he helped produce one of the first anime series in Japan- Tetsuwan Atom. In a way, you could say he opened the door for Macross; with the original Gundam series, he ushered in the era of Real Robots, which gave birth to shows like Votoms, SPT Layzner, and Macross.

I'm surprised no one questioned why Grace, a cyborg, needed to wear glasses! If my wife went from blind as a bat to 20/20 with lasik in 2007 why can't cyborg's in 205X have perfect vision! Or is it all part of a well thought out disguise to divert suspision....

It's my personal belief that there really was a Grace at one point (there may not be anymore, though), and that the Grace we've seen is a duplicate that replaced her. Given that, if the original had glasses then the replacement would require them as well. Of course, there's very little evidence of this. It's also possible that the glasses have uses that have nothing to do with vision correction. They would be a good place for additional instruments that provide visual displays only visible to the wearer.

It's interesting to note that the disguised Grace in episode 10 is also wearing glasses - albeit sunglasses in this case.

Let this be a warning, keep an eye on those female librarians, they could be evil cyborgs!

More important question we should be asking ourselves is why is anyone in the future still wearing glasses? We're rapidly approaching a time in the near future where it seems glasses will be a thing of the past.

Of course, this is animation, so glasses are a handy tool to help distinguish one character from another :)

The creator of Gundam is Yoshiyuki Tomino. He's one of the guys who was involved with anime from the beginning; he helped produce one of the first anime series in Japan- Tetsuwan Atom.

I remember a thread some times ago when people were saying Kawamori was only a mecha designer in Macross and then were corrected :rolleyes:

Anime creation is a work that involves many people, often each offering their own ideas. The chara designer for istance can offer some ideas on characters that could be good to have in a series. The scriptwriter exists for a reason (but I say this also because among Gundam's scriptwriters there was Studio Nue's Matsuzaki :ph34r:). The producers obviously can have even more influence to the show than the director (AFAIK, the idea of a combining mecha was neither Nagai's nor Ishikawa's, but Toei's).

You can choose no to trust me, but from what I gathered Studio Nue did have some influence in Gundam creation.

(ex.org)

Ever wonder how Sunrise discovered Robert Heinlein's STARSHIP TROOPERS novel and his influential powered suits? The book was brought to the attention of Sunrise's head by a certain science-fiction fan named Takachiho Haruka—co-founder of Studio Nue and author of CRUSHER JOE and DIRTY PAIR.

AFAIR my Italian DVDs of Macross state that Studio Nue members created Minowsky physics. I didn't find confirmation in English official sources for that yet, but it seems plausible.

FV

Just noticed something about the VF-27 cockpit. Don't know when it'smentioned before, but when he gets a bit of a knock and causes a glitch, you can see that Brera is wearing a whole suit and helmet. This was prominent when he got his gunpod capped my Michel.

Just noticed something about the VF-27 cockpit. Don't know when it'smentioned before, but when he gets a bit of a knock and causes a glitch, you can see that Brera is wearing a whole suit and helmet. This was prominent when he got his gunpod capped my Michel.

Here you go:

mf-ep13-brerahelmet.jpg

I'm sticking to the cyberspace interface theory for the VF-27 cockpit.

Pretty damn vague of a statement. So just spelled it out for me. Which 'authors' are you referring to? I think you're pushing it a bit.

Perhaps he meant Macross Frontier ? Hiroyuki YOSHINO who's the script writer of Frontier, was also the writher of Gundam Seed.

Other than I don't see how you could claim Macross was even remotely made by the same authors as Gundam (altough Gundam has admitingly influenced Macross)

-Sergorn

Is it possible for anyone to make a gif of Alto doing that stall into gerwalk?

I thought he was pulling a cobra maneuver like Shin in Macross Zero, except he went into gerwalk right way instead of using it to slow down the VF-25 so he could transform unlike Shin's VF-0 which had more limitations.

I thought he was pulling a cobra maneuver like Shin in Macross Zero, except he went into gerwalk right way instead of using it to slow down the VF-25 so he could transform unlike Shin's VF-0 which had more limitations.

I bet he got that idea from watching the Zero movie Ranka was in. :p

AFAIR my Italian DVDs of Macross state that Studio Nue members created Minowsky physics. I didn't find confirmation in English official sources for that yet, but it seems plausible.

FV

I think in Gundam that they corrupted this guys name for the physics since he used to work in mathematical physics and the theory of relativity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_Minkowski

Taksraven

No, but that was a pretty hot move.

I mean how can you deny how cool that is a a sweet stall into combat move. Shame the VF-27 was a bit faster on the swing around.

Here you go:

mf-ep13-brerahelmet.jpg

I'm sticking to the cyberspace interface theory for the VF-27 cockpit.

I mentioned it earlier my player wasn't taking screen caps for whatever reason. I think he jacks into his system allowing for the 360 cockpit because the hit clearly interrupted the system for a moment.

I'll go along with that. Sounds very GITS, but who cares. Man, the influences for this series are coming from all over the place.

Taksraven

Possibly.. But if it is the same principle and assume the original Grace went underground on Frontier, how can the original Grace control dummy Grace over that long distance without the problem of cutting the control signal through the fold disruptions? Unless Grace is an AI/Cylon/skinjob and can 'download' her soul into a new body, I presume she has sacrificed herself for her and her superiors' cause, thus is dead.

One more thing: everyone feels sorry for the brave Zentran 33th, but what about Sheryl's crew??? From being taken hostage, saved and then getting blasted away into atomic particles, who feels sorry for them?

Sheryl will have to find a whole new crew and assistant...

Poor Ranka. Hopefully she won't turn out to be Ranka Kerrigan, Queen of Brooms (aka ze evil Zupahdimenzional Zinderella).

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned upstream, but has anybody attached any significance to the eyecatch in this episode? More specifically, the cheerily-sung lyrics, "That beloved girl is an alien"?

It's the SMS hymn.

Which makes me think SMS was originally a Zentran outfit. :mellow:

Heck the owner is a Zentran.

I mentioned it earlier my player wasn't taking screen caps for whatever reason. I think he jacks into his system allowing for the 360 cockpit because the hit clearly interrupted the system for a moment.

I agree, this makes a lot of sense. Sort of like in Matrix Reloaded when the Nebuchadnezzar is returning to Zion the "ship traffic control" people are all jacked into seats into a VR interface where they control all the docking systems. I think it is like this, and for this reason is how he is able to play the harmonica with the helmet on, the harmonica isn't really there (though we know he has a real one for when he isn't flying) and he is only playing in in the Virtual cockpit. In the actual cockpit he just appears to be sitting there probably.

I agree, this makes a lot of sense. Sort of like in Matrix Reloaded when the Nebuchadnezzar is returning to Zion the "ship traffic control" people are all jacked into seats into a VR interface where they control all the docking systems. I think it is like this, and for this reason is how he is able to play the harmonica with the helmet on, the harmonica isn't really there (though we know he has a real one for when he isn't flying) and he is only playing in in the Virtual cockpit. In the actual cockpit he just appears to be sitting there probably.

It makes sense that in his mind he is at peace which would allow him to pull more G's since he is at peace so his body is working on reflecs removed from the human mind. Plus the helmet is large perhaps a neural interface of some sorts.

It's the SMS hymn.

Which makes me think SMS was originally a Zentran outfit. :mellow:

Heck the owner is a Zentran.

To quote Zapp Brannigan from Futurama:

"We have failed to uphold Brannigan's Law. However, I did make it with a hot alien babe. And in the end, is that not what Man has dreamt of since first he looked up at the stars?" :lol:

Possibly.. But if it is the same principle and assume the original Grace went underground on Frontier, how can the original Grace control dummy Grace over that long distance without the problem of cutting the control signal through the fold disruptions? Unless Grace is an AI/Cylon/skinjob and can 'download' her soul into a new body, I presume she has sacrificed herself for her and her superiors' cause, thus is dead.

I'm of the opinion that Grace sacrificed herself, because that would make the cause she's fighting for appear a lot stronger.

I'm of the opinion that Grace sacrificed herself, because that would make the cause she's fighting for appear a lot stronger.

Still though she told Brera to return to Frontier and wait for her orders, so if she still had orders to give it isn't likely she went and blew herself up without have some insurance that she wouldn't die. How she is still around, who knows. One thing to keep it mind, we don't know that the Dimension Eater is truly just a fancy bomb, we just don't know what exactly it is.

To quote Zapp Brannigan from Futurama:

"We have failed to uphold Brannigan's Law. However, I did make it with a hot alien babe. And in the end, is that not what Man has dreamt of since first he looked up at the stars?" :lol:

Yes well that's what Maximillian Jenius did. Hook up with a hot alien chick and turn her to baby factory.

SMS is less PC about it. Makes them sound like an all boys club.

Which makes me wonder how they'll handle a uncultured Meltran fleet.

Fire missiles at them then make out with them?

What was Mr. Birla thinking when he started SMS? Damn Zentran may be perv. Oh well not that culturing Zentradi has not turned up dirty old men. (Exsedol Folmo, girls in bikini fetishist.)

Still though she told Brera to return to Frontier and wait for her orders, so if she still had orders to give it isn't likely she went and blew herself up without have some insurance that she wouldn't die. How she is still around, who knows. One thing to keep it mind, we don't know that the Dimension Eater is truly just a fancy bomb, we just don't know what exactly it is.

Or we could have a case of Grace clones like a series of cyborgs OR she sent the cyborg to do the job while she sat pretty on the Frontier.