Which version of Macross Plus do you prefer?

To be honest, I liked the Movie version a lot more. It was the first version of M+ I watched. While the OAV had a lot of cool scenes I missed in the Movie. (The Opening battle, Isamu getting sent to Eden, the Battroid fight between Isamu and Guld) I thought the movie told the story better and it had a lot more closure than the OAV. We also got more breathtaking visuals from Sharon's concert in Macross City, and Sharon seducing Isamu with his love of flying was more developed here too. I thought the OAV ending was too rushed.

I think both versions have their merits, but ultimately I like the movie version more. I think especially after I read about the history of Macross Plus (that the movie version is essentially closer to what was intended, and it was initially split up into a 4-episode OVA for other reasons) I didn't feel so bad about preferring the movie version.

I will admit though there are elements to the OVA version that I prefer - I actually kind of like the episode breaks and the sort of added tension they offer (and the Macross Plus logo sequences).

-Elektrix

I think both versions have their merits, but ultimately I like the movie version more. I think especially after I read about the history of Macross Plus (that the movie version is essentially closer to what was intended, and it was initially split up into a 4-episode OVA for other reasons) I didn't feel so bad about preferring the movie version.

I will admit though there are elements to the OVA version that I prefer - I actually kind of like the episode breaks and the sort of added tension they offer (and the Macross Plus logo sequences).

-Elektrix

Yeah...I got episode 3 the day it came out, and when I hit the end, my eyes bugged out, my jaw dropped, and the realization that I would have to wait a loooooong time (which ended up being even longer) for the final chapter hit me like a pinpoint barrier punch.

Good times...

Anyway, to answer the question...I think the OVA had the better beginning and the movie had the better ending. I can't really choose between the two versions.

Yeah...I got episode 3 the day it came out, and when I hit the end, my eyes bugged out, my jaw dropped, and the realization that I would have to wait a loooooong time (which ended up being even longer) for the final chapter hit me like a pinpoint barrier punch.

Good times...

Anyway, to answer the question...I think the OVA had the better beginning and the movie had the better ending. I can't really choose between the two versions.

I love both versions, but alas. I can't choose one. So I choose to pick out what i love from each, and combine them into my own new version Macross Plus "PLUS". Oh yeah, opeaning Isamu fight and Lucy sex secne... ^_^

Now thats a pinpoint barrier punch!!!

The ending to the movie version is different. Events don't change but how it is shown is different, the fight with Guld and the Ghost is better from what I hear (FYI I haven't seen the movie version yet, but I downloaded it and plan to watch it eventually).

Like others i can't choose between the two, both are shinning examples of macross goodyness. :D

When i watch Macross Plus, i watch the OVA first, then the movie straight after for the full effect,

Movie version probably edges out the OVA just for Sharon's "Wanna Be An Angel" song and Guld's kamikaze

fight with the Ghost X-9. Of course i'm biased coz of the YF-21. FTW GULD!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I like both. The OVA has the Isamu in the VF-11 kicking ass, but the movie has the extended stuff like the YF-21/X-9 battle, and Sharon Apple seducing Isamu. Then there's the extra stuff that develops the characters a bit more like Lucy and Millard, and kind of gives us a hint at what Isamu's fate might have been after everything was done and over with. I also like the extended YF-19 sky drawing scene, goes to show how reckless yet skilled Isamu is.

The way they worked tension into the end of each episode was nice in the OVA. I found the whole battroid brawl amusing but kind of ridiculous. I do admit to being annoyed with the dubbed OVA episode 4, that the dogfight music was replaced with the music used when we first saw the YF-21 dodging missles and taking down drones.

Is there a list of the differences by time between movie and ova?

I wonder if someone can perform a fan edit - extended cut edition with all the extra movie / ova bits cut into a new remaster.

A few months back copied and pasted the OVA script to make a movie script for boinger, and I noticed lots of changes that had previously eluded my notice, mostly little changes in dialogue, such as General Gomez getting written out of all the movie's dialogue (since he didn't appear in it) and Guld explaining to Myung what was going on a New Edwards. A lot of the dialogue changes happen during scenes where the animation is unchanged from the OVA version...made me realize HOW MUCH attention to detail had been put into the whole proceedings.

Unfortunately, I didn't keep a list of the changes...

... I do admit to being annoyed with the dubbed OVA episode 4, that the dogfight music was replaced with the music used when we first saw the YF-21 dodging missles and taking down drones...

wtf... So it was different in the original Jap OVA??? :o

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I just wish that they had done a dubbed edit of the movie version featuring the same cast as the rest of the series. Would have been good.

Taksraven

I do admit to being annoyed with the dubbed OVA episode 4, that the dogfight music was replaced with the music used when we first saw the YF-21 dodging missles and taking down drones.

WTF? Kanno's "Dogfight" track for that scene in the Japanese version has to be greatest orchestral BGM in all Macross... It not only sounds great in its own right, it complements the sequence PERFECTLY, both the tongue-in-cheek humour and the incredible action. I bought the "Macross Plus -- For Fans Only" album JUST for that one track! At the time, it was not available on any of the other Macross Plus CDs.

As for OVA vs. movie, while I thought the third OAV volume was incredibly boring, I thought the pacing of the final volume was just phenomenal; the movie climax actually seemed too drawn out to me.

Edited by Daigoro

-Elektrix

I agree, the ending scene in M+ movie brings a better closure for Isamu and Myung relationship.

I prefer the movie. It's a tighter, more coherent version of the story.

Though the OVA certainly has it's share of awesome in it.

I'd really prefer an "extended movie" that combined the best of the OVA and the movie, but... of the current choices, I'll take the movie. Damn shame there's not a DECENT US version available.

Personally I have to go with the movie, I liked a lot of the scenes they included and the events of OVA 4 in the movie was far superior, Guld got a much better death scene, extended Sharon Apple concert and Isamu and Myung got a scene at the end. I did miss a lot of the scenes from the OVAs but I felt the movie was better... just! Though I have to admit I loved how the OVAs ended each episode, Afer in The Dark is a great song and I always love it when anime shows start up the ED song before the credits.

I liked both. :lol:

The awesome battle with the Renegade Power Armors in episode 1 of the OVA was pure win. :D

On the other hand, the YF-21 v. YF-19 "brawl" & the extended sequence of Isamu's "sky writing" with the YF-19 (loved the Battroid flyby BTW), which were all from the movie was simply AWESOME!!!! :wub:

BTW.....what is the title of that acapella-like song played in the Movie version of M+? You know the one were the YF-19 and YF-21 are both put through there paces. It also had that YF-19 v. YF-21 "performance comparison chart/scoreboard."

BTW.....what is the title of that acapella-like song played in the Movie version of M+? You know the one were the YF-19 and YF-21 are both put through there paces. It also had that YF-19 v. YF-21 "performance comparison chart/scoreboard."

"Bad Dog." It's on Vol. 2 of the OST's.

I wonder if the reason I like the OVA better is because I saw it first.

When I saw the movie I was thinking about all that was left out but if I had seen the movie first then I may have felt differently.

I will have to watch them both again soon.

I am the same, the OVA was first so i prefer it more and feel like the Movie was just not entirely complete for some reason. They are both great and just really depends on my mood but i do prefer the OVA version to the movie.

Lucy's tits are in the movie version though. If only they could combine the good bits of the movie with the good bits of the ova (rogue zentradi fight scene) to make an ultimate fan edition...

That would be great. Or even a "complete edition" that includes everything from both so that no scene is left out and just make it one long epic.

That would be great. Or even a "complete edition" that includes everything from both so that no scene is left out and just make it one long epic.

Macross Plus: Deculture Edition, I bet some bored fan with the proper hardware/software will put one together eventually.

Personally I like them both, each have strong points and some weaknesses as pointed out. Personally I'd like to see the extra scenes/slightly different viewpoints from the movie spliced into the OVA and leaving the overall OVA's structure itself intact.

On a side note, I think I watched eps 1-3 about 20 times before getting to see part 4 that wait was killer.

Edited by Drahken

WTF? Kanno's "Dogfight" track for that scene in the Japanese version has to be greatest orchestral BGM in all Macross... It not only sounds great in its own right, it complements the sequence PERFECTLY, both the tongue-in-cheek humour and the incredible action. I bought the "Macross Plus -- For Fans Only" album JUST for that one track! At the time, it was not available on any of the other Macross Plus CDs.

As for OVA vs. movie, while I thought the third OAV volume was incredibly boring, I thought the pacing of the final volume was just phenomenal; the movie climax actually seemed too drawn out to me.

So it's Dogfight is it? (the one the US version missed uot on) Agree that soundtrack (ForFansOnly) is the best,

i got it for WannaBeAnAngel. I'll have to listen to the dogfight track again..

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I prefer the version I imagined before seeing episode 4 of the OAV. The one where Isamu flies to Earth to save Myung and stop Sharon from taking over. I would have liked that much better than the one where we steals a plane just because he's pissed about losing his job. And then he trashes a city. What the hell was that Kawamori-san?

There is a lot of great animation and music. But they lost me at the ending. I can suspend my disbelief for space fortresses, singing AIs, transforming planes, etc. but I just couldn't swallow Isamu doing what he did merely because the flight tests were canceled. I think I'll watch it again just to see if it makes any more sense this time.

"Bad Dog." It's on Vol. 2 of the OST's.

Thanks, ShizumaRobo. ^_^

Also anybody knows the instrumental music when Isamu does his "sky writing" with the YF-19 in the movie edition? For a second I though it was "Dogfight." :blink:

Yeah yeah yeah, I re-watched Maross Plus (OVA & Movie) 3 times last week. :ph34r: