Macross Frontier Episode 10 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 10 rating  

225 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Episode 10?

• Positive (Ranka looks so cute in Mao's dress)
    • No Opinion/Neutral
    • Negative (Why waste time watching this when I can watch M0?)

Sheryl's blog is talking about a strain of colds virus. *put speculation, spoilers here* And is it just me, or the dates in which she posts are not in chronological order?

Anyone actually willing to translate the official blogs regularly?

Just watched this episode for the first time.

Macross Zero is one of my favorite Macross series so I was really happy about this episode and the whole concept. The character development is coming along very nicely. Ranka is turning out to be a lot like minmei.

So is that Brera Sterne guy? I know that he pilots the Purple-1 but what else do we know about him? Is he Rankas brother or is she tripping? And what the hell was that beast with wings? Sorry if these are all answered already. I have not read this thread yet.

After the brief action-adventure side story of episode 9, episode 10 dives head first back into our main three characters and the show shines all the brighter for it. This episode makes a connection with the 2002 OVA series Macross Zero, the events of which have been kept secret from the people of the Macross world up until 2058. Now in 2059, an ambitious director begins filming a movie about Macross Zero and features Alto, Sheryl and Ranka involved in the casting.

This is a welcome return to our main cast and the focus of this episode shifts back to Alto and his relationship with Sheryl and Ranka. Sheryl again uses her flighty side to play with Alto's emotions but Ranka is determined to maintain Alto's attention. But before that can happen, Ranka finds herself in danger from a stray Zentradi pet called an Eden Hydra (in a nod to the planet in Macross Plus). Alto tries to save her, but is ultimately bested by the creature. Just when it seems the end for Ranka, she is saved by Brera Sterne, who has been following Ranka around for two episodes now. His skill in battle is apparent but it's also revealed Brera is a cyborg. He is injured, but easily defeats the hydra and vanishes. After the danger passes, it's back to the set, where Ranka and Alto must share a kiss as part of the script as they portray Mao and Shin respectively.

It's great to get back into the drama of our three characters, especially Alto who has been too long removed from his own character arc. Based on flashbacks, his departure from his father was a very bad break yet his acting ability continues to pull him back into a world he thought he'd left far behind. Sheryl continues to show her interest in Alto, but is always thinly veiling it behind her carefree attitude. If Ranka can be more forward with Alto, she may yet have a chance with him by exploiting Sheryl's inability to take Alto as seriously as she should. For Alto's part, he still seems too unaware of Sheryl's true intentions and maintains a distance from Ranka. I'm personally hoping Alto and Sheryl hook up, but Ranka is no slouch and if she can prove herself, there's hope.

For now, the fate of these three can only be guessed until more is revealled in episode 11. Deculture!

Quick thought:

Does Ranka think that if she becomes a big star, she can replace Sheryl and have Alto all to herself? I get this feeling that she's heading in that kind of direction.

I highly doubt that is Ranka's intention to 'keep Hime-sama to herself' as she only wanted to sing, not to become a movie star (hey, at least that dream's about to become reality...as real as MF is going to be anyway :p )

Edited by info600

Sheryl's blog is talking about a strain of colds virus. *put speculation, spoilers here* And is it just me, or the dates in which she posts are not in chronological order?

Yeah the chronological order is way off, sometimes it's from 2058 and sometimes it's from 2059 and it goes from May to April to July or whenever.

I wouldn't be surprised if this cold kicks her ass really bad since it's known for extremely high fevers and it's likely that she never encountered this strain before. As for the previous entry, the more I hear about Galaxy, the less hospitable it becomes. It's hard to imagine a place with absolutely no plant life. I understand that it's a ship and all, but does it have to be so sterile...

Marchalongcassidy, there is a couple little reveals in this episode in that Ranka, in a terror induced flashback, reveals she has a brother who was mortally wounded at some point.

When she comes to after the attack, her amnesia about her past returns. We are also given an insight into the possibility that Brera suffers from a similar affliction...

Edited by Zinjo

I just watched the episode again, and I still think this is the best episode to date. ^_^ Which is weird, because I always considered myself to be more drawn in by the Mecha-pr0n than the story and character development.

I have a question about the scene with the Eden Hydra. When Ranka sees Brera's cybernetic arm and has the flashback to the old Vajra attack, she says something like "Don't die, brother". Has it been established that she lost a brother in the attack, or was she referring to Brera?

I have a question about the scene with the Eden Hydra. When Ranka sees Brera's cybernetic arm and has the flashback to the old Vajra attack, she says something like "Don't die, brother". Has it been established that she lost a brother in the attack, or was she referring to Brera?

She lost her family in that attack.

She lost her family in that attack.

Thanks. ^_^ I remember that she lost family, I just didn't remember anything being said about a brother...I guess I'm reading more into the scene than is really there. It also seemed like the sight of Brera's fake arm triggered the flashback. I guess that will be revealed in episode 13.

Thanks. ^_^ I remember that she lost family, I just didn't remember anything being said about a brother...I guess I'm reading more into the scene than is really there. It also seemed like the sight of Brera's fake arm triggered the flashback. I guess that will be revealed in episode 13.

I think the cyborg arm was for the benefit of the audience, not a trigger for Ranka-chan. It was the peril that triggered her memory, just as it had done previously.

yeah, the cyborg arm was for the audience to understand how he was able to cope with the hydra so easily and to show that he's most likely a product of Galaxy's tech

anyway, I got a question, Kathy was assigned to the Quarter in episode 7 to get data, but for how long?, 'cause we see her in this episode with the bridge bunnies chatting about Sakurahime whatever, is she allowed to go to the Quarter bridge whenever she feels like?

yeah, the cyborg arm was for the audience to understand how he was able to cope with the hydra so easily and to show that he's most likely a product of Galaxy's tech

anyway, I got a question, Kathy was assigned to the Quarter in episode 7 to get data, but for how long?, 'cause we see her in this episode with the bridge bunnies chatting about Sakurahime whatever, is she allowed to go to the Quarter bridge whenever she feels like?

Prolly. The SMS are contractually under the command of NUNS during a time of conflict.

Prolly. The SMS are contractually under the command of NUNS during a time of conflict.

Actually, I think they're under contract specifically to President Glass. Hence the dialogue in episode 7 between Cathy and the Quarter's Captain about the order coming directly from the President. As President Glass should in theory be the head of the NUNS (that's the way that it works in most countries, including the US), the difference is a subtle one. But it may be imoprtant later on.

but I though the contract only applied for assisting the Galaxy fleet, they are not in conflict at that moment, so why would the contract be applied at that moment

Remember that Frontier is currently in a State of Emergency. It was the attack on the Galaxy fleet that triggered the State of Emergency, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the end of that status will involve Galaxy. In particular, the operation to rescue the Kaitos and Dulfim wasn't the reason for the SoE. Instead, it's the overall status of things with regard to the Vajra and Galaxy.

I think the cyborg arm was for the benefit of the audience, not a trigger for Ranka-chan. It was the peril that triggered her memory, just as it had done previously.

She's also mentioned her brother before during one of her panic attacks. Admittedly, I believe the previous time was during episode 3 when she found out that Ozma had been wounded.

This is why I hate Babelfish. It's one of the worst translators I've ever had the pain of knowing when trying to make a coherent sentence.

Yeah. I included the original Japanese text in my post over in the News thread in hopes that someone would do a better job of translating it than Babelfish did (and Super Ostrich has kindly done so). Two semesters of college Japanese probably wouldn't have let me translate that even if I hadn't forgotten most of what I'd learned by now...

Marchalongcassidy, there is a couple little reveals in this episode in that Ranka, in a terror induced flashback, reveals she has a brother who was mortally wounded at some point.

When she comes to after the attack, her amnesia about her past returns. We are also given an insight into the possibility that Brera suffers from a similar affliction...

Yeah, but I'm not really going for the complete synopsis thing. I'm trying to concentrate more on the review itself rather than a play by play.

Great, we can discuss this episode for another week, unless Azrael decided to open MF Episode 10.5 tread ^_^

So VF-25 is used in the movie and CG converted into VF-0, so I can also presume it was the same for the SV-51.

Btw, the movie set is on island 3 right? Since I can see the island from the Formo mall. :huh:

So VF-25 is used in the movie and CG converted into VF-0, so I can also presume it was the same for the SV-51.

Only for still shots. Much like true Hollywood SFX, you would only need it if you need to have something planted in the ground and you need a correct shadow or prop to base it on. Action sequences don't need it since the object is in motion, but for still sequences like the beach scene where the object is not a background image, then they would need a prop.

Yeah, but I'm not really going for the complete synopsis thing. I'm trying to concentrate more on the review itself rather than a play by play.

/me growls. PLAY. By. PLAY. you do!

cause you make the most sence in describing the what nots of any particular episode (though you've not mentioned any of the leon-teh-spy bits *Whips!* get to work, Synobise-Slave! ^_^

/me casts Empowered, Heightened, Extented Snow Cones on everyone else :rolleyes:

Only for still shots. Much like true Hollywood SFX, you would only need it if you need to have something planted in the ground and you need a correct shadow or prop to base it on. Action sequences don't need it since the object is in motion, but for still sequences like the beach scene where the object is not a background image, then they would need a prop.

you of course are assuming that the entire Zero series was filmed. if this is the story of Sara & Shin, perhaps from the POV of Mao & survivers... then the whole movie might look a hella lot different (since Mao never met Roy Fokker nor Nora or DD or anyone else from UN Spacy save the SH-60B crew, the infantry squad (or could they have been marines? the Destroid pilots on Asuka were...) and later, the destroid pilots on the island when the octo's attacked....

or not. I forget that in foreign languages, marine means navy, example spanish and italian naval militaries. does marine equat to navy in japanesse, thus why the pilot shin duels on the Asuka in Eps 2 is referd to Sea-grunt or something?...

whut eva. ^_^

/me growls. PLAY. By. PLAY. you do!

cause you make the most sence in describing the what nots of any particular episode (though you've not mentioned any of the leon-teh-spy bits *Whips!* get to work, Synobise-Slave! ^_^

This suddenly came to mind.

post-8290-1213192768_thumb.jpg

you of course are assuming that the entire Zero series was filmed. if this is the story of Sara & Shin, perhaps from the POV of Mao & survivers...

It'd be a very short movie, since Shin and Mao had limited interaction during the course of Zero. Not to mention fairly boring considering all the time Shin spent in the cockpit.

true, but i think even the stories from mao's POV would be enough to make a movie. add to that the accounts of Edgar LaSalle, other native survivors and some other then-classified accounts/reports from all soldiers involved (including roy), i'm guessing they could get enough to, more or less, retell the story of the zero conflict.

and yes, if there were floating rocks around sara in the movie, edgar was the one who probably told the story. apparently, he believed every word that shin said during their encounter near the caves, the idiot. :p

tonight is normally the night where i get a new dose of MF

does anyone know why there is a week break?

Is there some sort of holiday in japan?

anyone know the reason?

i feel sad. i have withdraw symptom

eurocup

theres also olympics too in august so you can expect more breaks

Edited by Tsuchiro

Thankfully, I have MGS4 to tide me over for the weekend. And Eurocup ain't too bad.

Lucky you ^_^ I'm rewatching Zero again, and for once trying watching To Love Ru <_<

Lucky you ^_^ I'm rewatching Zero again, and for once trying watching To Love Ru <_<

Unfortunately for me I watched Zero the last Wednesday before ep 10 came out...I really hate these breaks since it takes all my willpower just last through the week without having too many withdrawal symptoms. ^_^ As for To Love RU, I tried reading the manga, but it was really bad...