Which is your favorite character from Macross Frontier so far?

Um - heh...well... the reason is simple...

The word "Canaria" is pronounced the same as a Polish word "Kanalia" - and in Polish "Kanalia" means "Evil dumb stupid treasonous bitch who must be pounded into the ground and ought not be trusted and is usually physically ugly"...

So I guess I instinctively didn't want to call...Canaria...er...Canaria...because to my ear it sounds like a very bad word that doesn't match the character....

But then again Canary doesn't help either - it reminds me of the transvestite super heroine....

So I guess I'll train myself to say Canaria without the allusions...

And yes- she does have GREAT hair!

VFTF1

That's quite alot of "meaning" in one word.

You Poles are weird people, that's all i have to say. ^_^

Generalissimo Killt

I love you.

As for the characters, My favorite is Mikhail. He has some of Max's snarkyness to him. Dunno if he is quite the same as pilot though. KK is definitely on the rise in my book as well.

Edited by Impreszive

Chef "Natural Pork" (Works at Nyan Nyan) is my favorite character so far. He has the right attitude for dealing with girls in your employ who are slacking off. And he has appeared TWICE now....

Taksraven

I know I'm going to get burned on this (for being off topic and off message), but I'm not the biggest fan of the Valks in Macross F thus far. A mass produced VF-17 is a great idea... but its from Macross 7. And I'm kinda ho-hum about the VF-25... it reminds me too much of the SV-51.. my least favorite design. I thought Macross + and 7 both on their own and together (given they came out concurrently) gave a better set of designs with the 11, 17, 19, 21, 22, their variants and all of the vartua mecha.

You guys must all be pretty young. While cute, Sheryl is a bit too hyper and unpredictable to be someone I would call a favorite. She's like your average teenager. :p All of the other females, however, are very likeable.

Yup, i'm definitely leaning towards Sheryl now. Episode 5 really turned the tide in her favor

Wait - so the tide was somehow NOT in her favor before? Judging by the Love Girl poll - Sheryl has been on top the whole time...

As for me - the question of favorite character is quite different from "favorite girl"

And it's not so clean cut to me who my favorite "character" is...

I'm leaning towards Alto Princess, because there seems to be some beautiful history to him, and I get the sense that while he loves to fly, he doesn't necessarily know what he's gotten himself into with joining SMS... I'm curious about his past, I like his unconventional looks ...

Oh - speaking of his unconventional looks - hate to raise the "homage alarm" - but can HAIR be an homage?

Alto's hair, in my view, is an homage to...Kaifun :)

Yeah - it's not the same style - Kaifun was a flower power ruffian with his hair, while Alto's is more controlled - but it's still blue and long, which makes it an homage to Kaifun :) Also, the girls seem to swoon over Alto just like they did over Kaifun. Finally - Kaifun definitely had the face of his mother - his eyes were more manly than Alto's though; and his kung-fu fighting skills and booming anti-war rhetoric made it clear he was a man - but some similarities are there - in physical appearance at least....

I'm really interested in learning more about Alto's relationship to his father.

I also really like Ozma - now that I've seen how commited he is to taking care of Ranka. I don't think I could live with Ranka and remain just her big Brother :) But Ozma is something else - a stellar guy - I was a bit peeved with him towards the beginning - belting Alto and all - but now I see he's got a big heart...although he sure is dumb - still - can't talk to Ranka, can't understand Ranka... he's like Micheal but with a short temper - or at least a lot of bluster. And when he yells at Ranka - I don't feel that he gets much respect.

When Roy yelled at Hikaru - he had a way of doing it that showed real love and care. But Ozma just yells - he's really unpleasant...

Ok - so maybe I haven't warmed to him THAT much after all :)

Ranka is a great character - but I'm biased towards her by virtue of being madly in love with her - so really - she can't be my "favorite character" - because that would just be silly...

Sheryl as a character is like an orange...or an onion...we'll see - in any case you have to peel off layers - but we'll have to wait to see what comes out underneath...

Nanase and Luca are cool. I like how loyal they are to their friends - they've got this uncorrupted youthful loyalty in them - they trust their friends 100% and that is admirable and really great.

I agree with the comment about the Pork Cook - but that's only because I like Chinese food...and I'm already hungry just by talking about it... although really I prefer Japanese! Must...have...Katsudon! Now! :)

Cathy Glass is just utterly boring. She fits perfectly with - what's Gundam Boy's name?...Leon...yeah... the two most cardboard characters in the whole series - but there are actually people like that...so...tough...

Hm...favorite character...favorite character.... I like the giant Zendradi Cows :)

VFTF1

I also really like Ozma - now that I've seen how commited he is to taking care of Ranka. I don't think I could live with Ranka and remain just her big Brother :)

Ewww, now I gotta go and recalibrate my smarmometer... It's just wobbling between Woody Allen & FLDS*...

You realized he's raised her since she was like, 3, right?

*Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints (Texas polygamy debacle)

Wait - so the tide was somehow NOT in her favor before? Judging by the Love Girl poll - Sheryl has been on top the whole time...

As for me - the question of favorite character is quite different from "favorite girl"

nope, i really meant fave character. a while back i posted in this thread that it was too early tod ecide my fave character among all of them. now i said i'm leaning towards sheryl. not just as fave girl, but actually as fave character. haha i know you just love to hear that, don't you? haha. :p

but still there's a looong way to go. it's only until the last episode is done when i will know for certain who my face character is.

Oh - speaking of his unconventional looks - hate to raise the "homage alarm" - but can HAIR be an homage?

Alto's hair, in my view, is an homage to...Kaifun :)

Yeah - it's not the same style - Kaifun was a flower power ruffian with his hair, while Alto's is more controlled - but it's still blue and long, which makes it an homage to Kaifun :) Also, the girls seem to swoon over Alto just like they did over Kaifun. Finally - Kaifun definitely had the face of his mother - his eyes were more manly than Alto's though; and his kung-fu fighting skills and booming anti-war rhetoric made it clear he was a man - but some similarities are there - in physical appearance at least....

you know what? that was actually the vibe i got when i saw the deculture edition for the first time. and because of sheryl having the nome last name and all, i started playing the descendent game. if sheryl is related somehow to the nomes, could alto be related somehow to the one and only bishonen of SDFmacross-kaifun?

now that's all silly and i don't give it a thought anymore. but the fact is i thought about it before, that's why i'm not surprised about teh comparison.

Edited by dreamweaver13

Well - watching Ranka sing in episode 3... I suddenly thought to myself: She's Basara and Mylene's daughter!

But that would mean Basara and Mylene were killed by the Vajra :( :( :( :(

I think the instinct is there because we still love and miss our old favorite characters so even though it would be really dumb to have a series about intergalactic space exploration coincidentially revolve around the children and grand children of all the original characters... we yearn for the connection nevertheless :)

So here's the super silly geneology:

FOR ALTO:

Kaifun slept with Minmey and brought Alto's dad into the world, who subsequently fathered Alto at a fairly late age (look at the guy - he's old :) )

FOR RANKA:

Hikaru slep with Minmey and brought Bassara into the world.

Bassara slept with Mylene and brought Ranka into the world

Naturally - there is one flaw and one tragedy in this line of reasoning:

The flaw is that it gets to the silly point where Minmey somehow becomes this baby-factory :) Although I guess having two kids is not actually that hard to imagine...

The tragedy is that it seems to presume that Misa never had any kids :(

As for Sheryl - she's clearly the love child of Mao and Shin. Through Mao, she inhereted Sara's singing talents.

Hmm...this is silly - but cooky and fun..so let me continue...

Mr Harley - or whatever the menacing guy's name is - actually reminds me of Dr. Hasoford - so he's therefore CLEARLY Dr. Hasoford's younger brother - a lot younger - now old and shrivelled and therefore looking like Hasoford the elder.

Cathy Glass has a bit of Misa Hayese in her - a small bit but a bit - particularly in the looks department. Here's the scoop on her:

Admiral Hayese, following the death of Misa's mom, could not bring himself to remarry, but did have an ongoing affair with a certain girl by the last name of Glass. This girl was killed during the Boldoza fleet attack, along with most of the planet's population - but not before giving birth of a boy who miraculously survived and was brought up in a jungle by wolves and then found alive after the war by a roaming party of Zentran pilgrims.

The boy eventually grew up on one of the many colony worlds that was launched into space. There he met a beautiful woman - this woman was named Hayese - and was the daughter of Hikaru and Misa.

Hayese junior and Glass Jr were in love and wanted to get married, but then it turned out after some tests that Hayese Jr.'s mother was the daughter of Glass Jr.'s father - which makes them...lemme see....if my dad was also the dad of my girlfriend's mom....my dad has me, my dad has my girlfriend's mom - she has my girlfriend...hmm...so I have the same dad as...my girlfriend's...granddad?

Well - anyways - they're related and so it kind of looks icky to ge married but they can't help it and they have a child and this child - Glass Jr. the II grows up to be president and has a daughter named...Cathy.

:)

Naturally - Darth Vader is really EVERYBODY'S father :)

VFTF1

Well - watching Ranka sing in episode 3... I suddenly thought to myself: She's Basara and Mylene's daughter!

But that would mean Basara and Mylene were killed by the Vajra :( :( :( :(

I think the instinct is there because we still love and miss our old favorite characters so even though it would be really dumb to have a series about intergalactic space exploration coincidentially revolve around the children and grand children of all the original characters... we yearn for the connection nevertheless :)

So here's the super silly geneology:

FOR ALTO:

Kaifun slept with Minmey and brought Alto's dad into the world, who subsequently fathered Alto at a fairly late age (look at the guy - he's old :) )

FOR RANKA:

Hikaru slep with Minmey and brought Bassara into the world.

Bassara slept with Mylene and brought Ranka into the world

And how would Basara and Mylene have been able to have Ranka, considering that she was born two years BEFORE Basara and Mylene met...?

And how would Basara and Mylene have been able to have Ranka, considering that she was born two years BEFORE Basara and Mylene met...?

Simple. Basara and Mylene actually met even earlier than that - only it was at a party where Basara got real drunk and slept with Mylene - and neither of them even remembered the next day - let alone two years later when they met.

However, due to genetic inconsistencies in Mylene on account of her being half-Zendradi, Basara's mojo took it's sweet time and so Mylene "suddenly and inexplicably" became pregnant much later - this was, mind you, a big shock to Basara - who of course had a hissy fit and accused Mylene of doing it with Gamlin and left her "once and for all" to be with the biker babe.

Gamlin meanwhile knew very well that it couldn't be his child - as did Mylene - and so she was left to tend to Ranka by her lonesome and gave her up for adoption - she was adopted by Zendradi parents who were then killed when the Vajra attacked their colony.

Simple :)

VFTF1

Simple. Basara and Mylene actually met even earlier than that - only it was at a party where Basara got real drunk and slept with Mylene - and neither of them even remembered the next day - let alone two years later when they met.

However, due to genetic inconsistencies in Mylene on account of her being half-Zendradi, Basara's mojo took it's sweet time and so Mylene "suddenly and inexplicably" became pregnant much later - this was, mind you, a big shock to Basara - who of course had a hissy fit and accused Mylene of doing it with Gamlin and left her "once and for all" to be with the biker babe.

Gamlin meanwhile knew very well that it couldn't be his child - as did Mylene - and so she was left to tend to Ranka by her lonesome and gave her up for adoption - she was adopted by Zendradi parents who were then killed when the Vajra attacked their colony.

VFTF1

Yeah, make sense to me. :lol:

VFTF1

Simple indeed...and I eagerly await seeing all this in doujinshi form.

Yeah :) Where this really belongs is on Jerry Springer! :)

LISTEN MY SONG!!

Springer: Now, Nekki - have you ever considered using the word 'please?' Have you ever thought that maybe some people don't want to listen to your song?

Ble-la-la-Saturday Night! Let's Go!-wow-wow-la-bla-la-la-la

Springer: Ok - well - here to listen to your song is your long lost love child birthed my Mylene - Ranka!!!

Ranka: Ohio!...My name is Ranka Lee...ow! (trips)

THAT'S NOT MY CHILD! I HAVE NO CHILD WITH THE SCANK!!

Suddenly from offstage:

Mylene (enters): The hell ya don't Bassra! You got me knocked up at that party and due to my Zentran genetic I didn't give birth until three years later!

Bassra: LIAR! You just couldn't stand the fact that my songs are better than yours so you made up this scandal!

Mylene: Maybe if you hadn't been banging that biker trash and paid more attention to me!

Bassra: Hoe!!

(Proceeds to grab Mylene by the hair - then recoils) LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO! AGAIN! Because of you I get violent!!

VFTF1

Alto. I like how he is not afraid to call someone out. Even though he is fearful of the Vajra initially, it doesn't stop him from taking them on, especially episode 4. Klan klan outranks him, but that doesn't stop him from taking her on in mock combat either, he put up a good fight, rather than hide behind an asteroid the entire time and wait for Michel or Luca to do something. He is also a character who strives to break the ties that bind him and free himself from the expectations of others. For a character who starts out young and not as experienced as his peers, he is strong and puts in a damn good effort. Not cocky, unlike Michel, and not easily scared, like Luca.

Michel is okay, too cocky for my tastes. If he becomes more of a mentor rather than retaining the "cocky older brother" mentality through the series, then he will be more likeable as a character. I have a feeling his arrogance and one-shot mentality will lead him to screw up and miss, with Alto saving him.

I don't like Sheryl. Maybe I'll like her later, but only if her ego is destroyed. Her only redeeming factor, is that she is encourages Ranka, but as of episode 5, I can see this changing.

Ranka is likeable, and I didn't notice her VA's singing talent until episode 5. Ranka can sing fairly well, her rendition of "What 'bout my star" is better than Sheryl's! Nonetheless, the lyrics are horrible engrish.

I like Ozma too, but not as much as Alto. Ozma fights to make up for his mistakes and make sure they don't ever happen again. He doesn't have as much as a macho attitude as Roy. His past is interesting, I hope we see everything explained about him before the season ends. The only thing I don't like about him, is that from his attitude, it seems like he could have prevented the tragedy that occurred to Ranka, and he didn't need to punch Alto(that was random).

I don't like the guy that made out with Cathy Glass. Not only does he look like a prick, he acts like one, a dumb one at that. What idiot decides to shove a bioweapon that might not be dead, into a glass tube? This guy has it coming, I hope Ozma kills his ass by season's end.