Transformers Super Thread 7

I for one think Soundwave may be one of the best Deluxe TFs I've had in a long, long while.

It avoids just about every no-no a carformer can have in alt mode; four wheels touch the ground and roll at all times, no blank painted windows, totally solid, and if you turn it over you aren't staring at a robot. In bot mode, it's proportions are... different... definitely, but fairly evocative of his G1 brick self. His paint apps are nicely done, he's got loads of little details (like the equalizers that show through the clear plastic on the chest), and looks absolutely awesome rocking out with his guitar. Forget turning Lazorbeak into bird form. The Guitar is where it's at.

Oh, and his transformation is really creative. I <3 new transformations. He's more complex than most of the Animated line Voyagers in that respect (Grimlock, Bulkhead, Optimus, definitely starscream).

His one (minor) pitfall, is that his knees are a little loose out of the package. It can be easily fixed with some nail polish/varnish, and isn't even that much of an issue unfixed for me right now, as I have him arching his back, rocking out, without falling over. Plus he has articulated ankles, which is a huge win and difficult to find in ANY transformer, let alone a deluxe.

The tacky paint is a valid concern, and I'm wondering how much a coat of sealant will fix it. It's not as super-rubby on mine as it's been reported on others, but it's still a bit offputting feeling the tackiness there when you grip the roof/back of the figure.

Edited by QuinJester

sorry for asking another dumb question, I havn't seriously collected transformers in years (I've collected Optimus prime figures but not really any other characters) I'm thinking about getting back into it, there's more then a few Animated characters I would like and some other ones that are coming out. But I'm confused about Hasbro's class system... from biggest to smallest is it?

"regular"

Deluxe

Voyager

Leader

or what?

sorry for asking another dumb question, I havn't seriously collected transformers in years (I've collected Optimus prime figures but not really any other characters) I'm thinking about getting back into it, there's more then a few Animated characters I would like and some other ones that are coming out. But I'm confused about Hasbro's class system... from biggest to smallest is it?

"regular"

Deluxe

Voyager

Leader

or what?

Deluxe is the smallest. Seriously.

Then it's Voyager.

Then Ultra.

Then Leader(which is NOT limited to actual leader characters).

Topped off with SUPREME!11111

Edit: My bad. Deluxe is SECOND smallest.

Legend is smallest.

Or maybe Mini-Con. but that's more a second line than a toy class.

Edited by JB0

Deluxe is the smallest. Seriously.

Then it's Voyager.

Then Ultra.

Then Leader(which is NOT limited to actual leader characters).

Topped off with SUPREME!11111

Edit: My bad. Deluxe is SECOND smallest.

Legend is smallest.

Or maybe Mini-Con. but that's more a second line than a toy class.

Actually, Activators come between Legends and Deluxe for TF Animated, so technically, Deluxe is the third smallest size class/price point.

The comparison has been made that Activators are basically the new Scouts...

Yeah, I was just going to mention scouts.

Legends

Activators/Scouts/Cyber Slammers

Deluxe/Fast Action Battlers

Voyager

Ultra

Leader

Supreme

Lets see.

My weekend haul.

Classics Tankor(Octane)

He is okay. Bot mode is pretty good but his vehicle modes are poor. 7/10

Animated Oilslick.

Awesome. Pure awesome. One of the best figs in this line. Articulated and just cool looking 9/10

Animated Soundwave.

I am kinda disappointed. Vehicle mode is cool but Laserbeak really needs some paint apps,Bot mode is floppy and kinda short and hes got the sticky paint on the roof of the Scion/Back of bot deal. 6/10

yeah....I got one Octane.....he's alright....I will prob. be selling my classics soon. I don't like them that much. I have however been considering getting Oil Slick and some others of the TFAs even though I previously did not want to collect the whole line. I just figure...well....I'm close to having them all....might as well right? That's too bad to hear about Soundwave...cause he sure the hell looks cool. I will find out for myself here soon....1 is on the way. If you don't like yours....PM me with the price and I will buy it from ya. I could use a 2nd for alt. mode.

:ph34r:

EDIT----> I wanna say that so far....Prowl is close to being one of the best figs....the articulation is AWESOME and he looks VERY accurate. Ohhh....and Grimlock too!

Edited by misterryno

I wonder if Prowl is more articulated than Jazz. Jazz is one of my favorite deluxes in animated....hell...maybe even better than Cybertronian Optimus Prime. The articulation is better, dynamic poses are extremely easy to replicate, the alt mode is awesome, and the weapons can be configured unofficially into claws. The alt mode is sleek and like Lockdown, does not give the impression that the robot mode is much larger.

Jazz is the most likeable of the Elite Guard to me, he is not condescending like Ultra Magnus, and not a prick like Sentinel. He is more open to what Earth has to offer than Prowl it seems.

Oil Slick is the 3rd Circuit su practicioner in Animated, I wonder if he is better than Prowl, the bio says they trained together.

Gotta agree with Shin on all points for Jazz. I thought he'd be a 'meh' figure because, well, he's another car-former, but he pretty much takes everything I like about carformers and does them perfectly. Sculpt in both modes is just awesome. The car is just right up there with my favorite looking TF cars ever, and bot mode is nice and tall. The articulation is excellent. I like his elbows especially, which allow him to fold his forearms up against his biceps. It's not perfect articulation, and not quite on the yoga-like level of Classics Mirage, but it's damn satisfying.

I even love that his headsculpt looks like he's wearing shades, a pancake hat, headphones and a goatee. Jazz is one hip cat!

It's hard to pick a favorite deluxe at this point, but i think it's tied between Jazz, Snarlag and Soundwave. Jazz is overall more fun, but Soundwave is Soundwave. Snarlag is one that I didn't like at first but once I picked him up a few days later and transformed his chest correctly I fell in love.

Gotta agree with Shin on all points for Jazz. I thought he'd be a 'meh' figure because, well, he's another car-former, but he pretty much takes everything I like about carformers and does them perfectly. Sculpt in both modes is just awesome. The car is just right up there with my favorite looking TF cars ever, and bot mode is nice and tall. The articulation is excellent. I like his elbows especially, which allow him to fold his forearms up against his biceps. It's not perfect articulation, and not quite on the yoga-like level of Classics Mirage, but it's damn satisfying.

I even love that his headsculpt looks like he's wearing shades, a pancake hat, headphones and a goatee. Jazz is one hip cat!

It's hard to pick a favorite deluxe at this point, but i think it's tied between Jazz, Snarlag and Soundwave. Jazz is overall more fun, but Soundwave is Soundwave. Snarlag is one that I didn't like at first but once I picked him up a few days later and transformed his chest correctly I fell in love.

I'm not positive which is my ABSOLUTE fav. deluxe yet. I will be doing some posing soon and make my decision then. Damn...that reminds me....I have pics taken...I just need to upload them now.

I'm getting a Dai Atlas, Apeface, and Victory Saber set :D

Very cool! Let us know what you think of em!

I still need to find a TFA Jazz. My nephew bought an overpriced one at SDCC08 and I really like em.

My Nemesis Prime arrived today, and I must say that I'm liking him more than I thought I would, considering he's the third toy of that mold I own. The colors just really work well for him. My only complaint, and it's a small one, is that his eyes are painted red, and he still has the clear blue plastic that Optimus and Ultra Magnus have for their light piping, instead of a red piece and red light piping.

Okay, I'm really starting to hate the fact that I live in backwater redneck part of PA. Everyone's finding Universe Ultras now, and some people are even finding Galvatron (and, I guess, Acid Storm). I hit Target, Wal-Mart, and Toys R' Us this evening, and didn't turn up squat. I mean, everyone's got the first wave Universe Deluxes now, and Target has Jazz and Soundwave now (I guess at some point they might have had Snarlag, too, but not today). Toys R' Us can't even claim that. Target and Toys R' Us both had shelf space marked for Universe Ultras (so I know that, like the Deluxes, Toys R' Us is charging a buck more), but Target had that space marked for a few days now, since I was there maybe Friday or Saturday last week.

Ultimately, I did pick up Animated Jazz. I did it primarily because he might just be my favorite character on Animated, not out of any particular love for the toy. In fact, I don't get what everyone loves about him so much. He is pretty poseable, but he seems like a pretty average car former to me. Flip out the legs, pop out the arms, pull the front down to his chest, and you're done. Look underneath, and his robot face is showing as blatantly as animated Deluxe Bumblebee's.

After transforming him, I thought he looked a little off. Then I got out my black paint marker and painted the rest of his collar. Much better. I'm tempted to paint the inside edges of his door panels on his arms, as well as around his headlights, but my paint marker's tip isn't fine enough.

Okay, I'm really starting to hate the fact that I live in backwater redneck part of PA. Everyone's finding Universe Ultras now, and some people are even finding Galvatron (and, I guess, Acid Storm). I hit Target, Wal-Mart, and Toys R' Us this evening, and didn't turn up squat. I mean, everyone's got the first wave Universe Deluxes now, and Target has Jazz and Soundwave now (I guess at some point they might have had Snarlag, too, but not today). Toys R' Us can't even claim that. Target and Toys R' Us both had shelf space marked for Universe Ultras (so I know that, like the Deluxes, Toys R' Us is charging a buck more), but Target had that space marked for a few days now, since I was there maybe Friday or Saturday last week.

Ultimately, I did pick up Animated Jazz. I did it primarily because he might just be my favorite character on Animated, not out of any particular love for the toy. In fact, I don't get what everyone loves about him so much. He is pretty poseable, but he seems like a pretty average car former to me. Flip out the legs, pop out the arms, pull the front down to his chest, and you're done. Look underneath, and his robot face is showing as blatantly as animated Deluxe Bumblebee's.

After transforming him, I thought he looked a little off. Then I got out my black paint marker and painted the rest of his collar. Much better. I'm tempted to paint the inside edges of his door panels on his arms, as well as around his headlights, but my paint marker's tip isn't fine enough.

Sorry to hear that you are not finding anything....believe me brother...I'm not finding too much myself and I live in an actual "city" Denver....you would think that out of all the stores I visited I would find more than a Classics Onslaught.

On the TFA Jazz.....I'm glad that someone finally feels the same that I do...just a normal car-former. That's all he is to me too. THANKS!

YEAHHHHHH BOOOYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! My BBTS order for TFA Leader Ultra Magnus is paid for and waiting to enter the warehouse. I should see it SOON! WOOT WOOT!!!

In fact, I don't get what everyone loves about him so much. He is pretty poseable, but he seems like a pretty average car former to me. Flip out the legs, pop out the arms, pull the front down to his chest, and you're done. Look underneath, and his robot face is showing as blatantly as animated Deluxe Bumblebee's.

The transformation is straightforward and I wish it had some automorph involved, it also doesn't lock together in robot mode very securely, which is rather unfortunate(chest piece). The articulation and alternate weapons configurations do it for me, as well as the sleek car mode and the fact that its size in car mode is no indicator of how tall the robot mode ends up being.

He can have his nunchuks remain stationary and swiveled around to be form claws, or just use them as regular nunchuks. The light piping works very well. Articulation is one of the reasons I love Cybertronian Prime so much but this guy actually has him beat. There aren't many figures in this line that can bend at the knee nearly at 180 degrees, but Jazz is one of them. The sculpt is one of the more accurate ones, definitely more accurate than deluxe Bumblebee's is to his animation counterpart.

Articulation is important to me on these Animated figures. Its the reason I was dissapointed with Voyager Prime and Lockdown. Lockdown to me, is overrated. Great sculpt/personality, and alt mode, but leg articulation at the knee sucks. Jazz trumps him completely in the articulation category. Jazz is a cybertronian ninja and can definitely be posed as one. That is awesome.

The transformation is straightforward and I wish it had some automorph involved, it also doesn't lock together in robot mode very securely, which is rather unfortunate(chest piece). The articulation and alternate weapons configurations do it for me, as well as the sleek car mode and the fact that its size in car mode is no indicator of how tall the robot mode ends up being.

He can have his nunchuks remain stationary and swiveled around to be form claws, or just use them as regular nunchuks. The light piping works very well. Articulation is one of the reasons I love Cybertronian Prime so much but this guy actually has him beat. There aren't many figures in this line that can bend at the knee nearly at 180 degrees, but Jazz is one of them. The sculpt is one of the more accurate ones, definitely more accurate than deluxe Bumblebee's is to his animation counterpart.

Articulation is important to me on these Animated figures. Its the reason I was dissapointed with Voyager Prime and Lockdown. Lockdown to me, is overrated. Great sculpt/personality, and alt mode, but leg articulation at the knee sucks. Jazz trumps him completely in the articulation category. Jazz is a cybertronian ninja and can definitely be posed as one. That is awesome.

Heh.....I guess I have just not taken enough time to mess around with his poses. I do however think that Cybertronian OP is one of the best for posing....the pose that I have him in now is AWESOME! At least it is to me. I will mess with Jazz more later and see if he's as much as a Ninja as I am.

Regarding Jazz's chest - Is there a magnet in there somewhere? It doesn't have any pegs so it doesn't lock down super tight, but when I fold it down I do hear an audible 'click' that seems to hold it down just fine. I just can't figure out exactly what is clicking it into place.

I also noticed recently that his shoulders can be clicked into place further forward than where they naturally go during the transformation. I thought they looked too far back so I just put some pressure on them and they each popped forward a bit which looks better.

Edited by eriku

Regarding Jazz's chest - Is there a magnet in there somewhere? It doesn't have any pegs so it doesn't lock down super tight, but when I fold it down I do hear an audible 'click' that seems to hold it down just fine. I just can't figure out exactly what is clicking it into place.

I also noticed recently that his shoulders can be clicked into place further forward than where they naturally go during the transformation. I thought they looked too far back so I just put some pressure on them and they each popped forward a bit which looks better.

Hmmmm....I know what you mean be the "click" for his chest.....what holds it though I am unsure. Can you provide a pic of the shoulder deal you speak of so that I can check mine out laters?

I just can't figure out exactly what is clicking it into place.

I think its a ratchet in the chest that softly locks into place, it can be dislodged easily.

I do however think that Cybertronian OP is one of the best for posing....the pose that I have him in now is AWESOME! At least it is to me. I will mess with Jazz more later and see if he's as much as a Ninja as I am.

Jazz has him beat for posing, he just can't shrug/hunch his shoulders like Prime, but everywhere else, he has him beat.

Hmmmm....I know what you mean be the "click" for his chest.....what holds it though I am unsure. Can you provide a pic of the shoulder deal you speak of so that I can check mine out laters?

I'll try to get a photo up tonight. It could be that the shoulders on mine are just stubborn and take extra force.

After seeing the five page preview of Reign of Starscream, it looks like it's leading to the creation of the Devestator There seem to be six Bots lying around that cube at the end and one of the captured looks like a Constructicon.

Guest sh002

saw animated jazz and a bunch of others but only picked up animated snarl because i still have my g1 slag misb. also picked up classics tankor just to complete some more of the classics collection. didn't pick up silverbolt, blades, or powerglide.

I messed around with Jazz a bit more last night and I must say...I still don't think his articulation is that great...but that's just my opinion...and you know what I think about those. I did however get him into a pretty cool pose...I will get some pics tonight. Also...figured out that little shoulder deal...mine go in pretty easy and it actually helps slightly with holding the chest into place. On another note.....my TFA Ultra Magnus is on it's way from BBTS!!!

got my animated voyager prime and grimlock in the mail today....prime is WAY nicer than i expected, in both modes, and Grimlock is just as cool....running out of room on the shelf for these buggers thouhg...luckily I'm not a fan of the seekers

-Is there a bigger version of Ratchet out, or just the deluxe?

No

-What size are Grimlock, Snarl and Swoop?

Grimlock is a voyager, the other 2 are deluxe

-Are there any of the toys that are definite No-gets?

Activators Bulkhead, all the bumber battlers, the 12" nontransforming Bumblebee, Roll out and Command Optimus Prime(the huge one), and a few more.

Must haves are voyager bulkhead, voyager Starscream, deluxe Cybertronian prime, activators bumblebee, grimlock, Jazz, leader megatron, Lugnut, and Ratchet.

i think size-wise the activator matches up better wit hthe others...i prefer the look of the deluxe bb though, so ima go with him for robot mode at least. Might grab the activator for vehicle mode and tuck him in under grimlock in dino mode.

for me, the must-haves are leader ultra magnus, leader bulkhead, voyager prime, grimlock, prowl, leader megs and voyager megs.