Things we like about Macross 7.

ShizumaRobo

Now, I'm not a fan of the show, but I do think there were some things did impress me about it.

-Macross 7 actually has my favorite Openings out of any anime. I LOVE Seventh Moon and the animation and visuals are pretty damn cool. Am I crazy or does the intro's style remind me of Macross Plus? I mean the wonderful animation and CG elements. (LOVE the beautiful opening shot of Basara walking as we zoom out to see City 7.) It seems like they spent more on that than the actual show. "Dynamite Explosion" is also a pretty badass intro. (part of me wishes it was the second Opening for the series instead of the OVA.)

-Basara pilots one of the coolest looking Valkyries ever. B)) Seeing the design itself made me want to see the show.

-I love the clamshell designs of the City colonies and am glad they were retained on Macross Frontier. I also really like the design of Battle 7. (Battle Frontier seems to combine the styles of this and the original SDF Macross.)

-Mylene. What a cutie. Veffidas ain't bad looking either.

-They brought back Max and Millia.

That it had an ending.

Alright, the ending was kinda acceptable, I mean, the whole thing was so rampantly weird, it's probably more true than most other sci-fi aliens I've seen. Too bad the everything about the show royally sucked. Except Fire Bomber, they are really, really, good. I was blown away to hear actual first rate artists on an anime soundtrack, I can listen to it out of an anime context, and always do.

Edited by Achilles2ca

The VF-17 Nightmare. Without a doubt, the most positive thing to come from the Macross 7 series.

The spacecraft design were also quite good. I found all of Miyatake Kazutaka's designs, New Macross Class included, to be interesting and very detailed. I know some had problems with them, but for me, this aspect of Macross 7 was one of the few winners. Then there are rare moments like the VF-11 Protect Armor battle in episode 26, Max's daring VF-22S assault in episode 44 and other assorted minor victories that show up now and then in the series. A rare charming character moment, a genuine laugh after a dozen episodes of shoved-down-your-throat "comedy", and the Protoculture history (sans spiritia) was nice to see.

See, never as bad as you think. Just yank the tooth in one pull; right out! :)

I agree with Mr March. But would like to add a few words to his statement...Bridge Bunnies, Mylene and Gamlin nuff said.

EDIT: Yep forgot Emilia and The Fleet of the Strongest Women special.

Edited by Sorata

For me, personally;

1. Fire Bomber, I love 'em. Love the music, love the characters. Even Basara. Especially Basara, I should say.

2. The upbeat nature of the story, it's themes and ideals. You don't see a lot of that in the angst ridden post-Eva anime landscape.

3. The ending is one of my favourites in anime. In part for the same reasons I gave in 2. Also because I felt the long build up finally came together.

4. The mecha and ships. I'm not keen on the Sound Force designs, or the theme-park looking colony support ships, but everything else, from the Battle 7 and City 7, to the rank and file fleet ships were great. Also, like others have said, the VF-17 is awesome.

5. Dynamite 7, other than the lacking animation in spots, there wasn't much I disliked about the OVA.

6. The interesting turn taken with Max and Millia, not only did they bring back some of my SDF:M favourites, but put an interesting new spin on their relationship.

7. Operation Stargazer, ja I agree the story picked up a lot here.

8. Gamlin, one of my favourite Macross characters.

- Hmmm, what Marchtoyourowndrum said is pretty consistent with me too.

- The Miyataki military cap ship designs truly blew me away, particularly the Battle 5! (not so much a fan of the juvenile attacker mode with giant hands tho). After a while even several of the PD ships really grew on me, particularly the base ship.

- The civilian ships were meh to me, I'd rather see what Frontier did with the aesthetics on the INSIDE of the ship.

- Enjoyed Mylene's character, Millia and Max (to a minor degree) and oh yes, SIVIL, the only really redeaming PD character.

- When the story diverged from the j-pop fluff and Basara's holier than thou antics, it was a compelling story that could have been far more dramatic and dark than it ultimately was.

- Hated the Basara's Kai, mainly for the face and didn't care for the ankle bracelets all the fighters came with, but did enjoy the VF-11 again, and particularly the VF-11B two seater sans the sound boosters. The VF-17 had a kick a** battroid mode!

- The music, as repeditive (sorry, tired so my spelling suck atm) as it was, was well performed and eventually grew on me, and I agree that if you take it out of the series, it definitely holds up.

It was good, but I would have liked to see Kawamori's directoral vision applied to it, just to see what it would have become.

1. Music was great, although repetitive (didn't hear Holy Lonely Night often enough I think).

2. M&M VF-22s. Boo-fricking-yah.

3. Gubaba. Nothing beats a living psychic hairpiece. ^_^

4. Okay, I take that back... maybe the ICBS. My personal favorite moment in that entire series was in "Fleet of the Strongest Women" when they launch what I like to call the Inter-Continental Ballistic Subwoofer. The expression on Chlore's face when the music started blasting through the bridge was priceless. :lol:

So many things to love about M7.

Mylene, Gamlin, Max & Millia,

The VF-17, Full Armour VF-11C, VF-22, VF-19F/S, Battle 7.

The songs.

Operation Stargazer.

Mylene in a bikini.

Gamlinkicking ass in a VF-11C.

I've said it before, but I say it again. I actually prefer M7 to original SDMF TV.

Graham

Several things that I like about M7:

- Max, Millia, Gamlin, Flower Girl.

- VF-11C, Full armored VF-11, VF-17

- M7 fleet (Battle 7, NorthHampton class, etc)

- Milky Road (talking about road in space ^_^ ).

I think anybody who has read even half my posts will see how much I love M7, so in this thread I'd like to note - and I think I may be repeating myself - the most GLARING problem with M7:

The very ending - when the Protodevilin have made peace with the people and decide to go frolicking off through the universe in search of something or other...

Well... aren't they taking possessed bodies of people who they should - you know - free?

And Basara doesn't seem bothered by this; nor does anyone else. Transvestite Protodevilin Dude/Chick should give back the body of Advisor Cantrememberhisjapanesename - and shouldn't somebody be asking for the body back?

Maybe someone explained it to me already - but I forgot the reason why this wasn't a problem?

VFTF1

I think anybody who has read even half my posts will see how much I love M7, so in this thread I'd like to note - and I think I may be repeating myself - the most GLARING problem with M7:

The very ending - when the Protodevilin have made peace with the people and decide to go frolicking off through the universe in search of something or other...

Well... aren't they taking possessed bodies of people who they should - you know - free?

And Basara doesn't seem bothered by this; nor does anyone else. Transvestite Protodevilin Dude/Chick should give back the body of Advisor Cantrememberhisjapanesename - and shouldn't somebody be asking for the body back?

Maybe someone explained it to me already - but I forgot the reason why this wasn't a problem?

VFTF1

Yeah, that bothered me too. His name was Ivano Gunther.

And Gigil too. He was using somebody's body until that got beaten up or something then his "Evil series" body awakened... so is that poor guy's body just lying dead now?? Although I guess since Gigil blew everything on the planet to kingdom come anyway... :rolleyes:

I like Macross 7 a lot and though it has its faults, I think it's a great story with great characters you can really get involved in, and at the end of the day if you don't have that, you nd up with something like... Macross Zero. As others have said, the opening is great, and though it may be sacrilege, as much as I'm loving Macross Frontier, that opening absolutely pales in comparison to the pure rush you get when you hear Seventh Moon. Those first strums followed by the foot-tapping beat are like a warning that you ought to "prepare yourself -- you're in for one heck of a 25 minute ride!"

Plus Yoshiki Fukuyama can and will own everyone in the world, ever.

VFTF1

Great, now we have a fleet of zombies commanded by a bishie roaming the galaxy, not to mention theres a another fleet of Meltran who worship Basara out there somewhere. :lol:

Edited by Morpheus

VFTF1

I always just figured that it had been so long that they COULDN'T give them back. Gunther's body had been used for many months and finally was turned into a spiritia black hole with innumerable massive vines growing out of it...if Geperunitchi gave it back, it'd probably just melt into a big puddle flesh-colored jelly.

Or maybe Gunther LIKED being host to a Protodeviln?

HERE I GO !!! :

1. Basara's heart.

2. Basara's determination.

3. Basara's passion.

4. Barasa's music.

5. Basara's arrogance.

6. Basara's VF-19.

7. Basara's guitar.

8. Basara's band.

9. Basara's house.

10. Basara's family name (His family name Nekki, as written in Japanese kanji, means "hot air" or "enthusiasm".).

11. Basara able to move the entire galaxy with his singing.

12. Basara using non violent actions to solve problems.

Oh and did I mention Basara himself ? :p

Edited by Macross007

HERE I GO !!! :

1. Basara's heart.

2. Basara's determination.

3. Basara's passion.

4. Barasa's music.

5. Basara's arrogance.

6. Basara's VF-19.

7. Basara's guitar.

8. Basara's band.

9. Basara's house.

10. Basara's family name (His family name Nekki, as written in Japanese kanji, means "hot air" or "enthusiasm".).

11. Basara able to move the entire galaxy with his singing.

12. Basara using non violent actions to solve problems.

Oh and did I mention Basara himself ? :p

So you really hate him THAT much? :p

Well... everything ? :lol:

Put to put a few thing specific things :

- The opening sequence It's an amazing piece of work and Seventh Moonth is a wonderful thune. Actually it was this opening song that really made me want to see Macross 7. You see I had come with the asumption that Macross 7 was juste a terrible show after reading a long article in a french magazine (which in indsight was a really CRAPPY articile full of fallacies like "Basara shoots down every ennemy while singing" and was probably written by someone who never saw a single episode of the series). But then one day I just stump upon the opening on the net and I just KNEW I had to see that series.

- Fire Bombers Granted not all of the Fire Bombers are masterpieces, but there are just some amzing tunes (Totsugeki Love Heart, Submarine Street, Light the Light...)

- Haruhiko Mikimoti Even though he (unfortunately) only did the basic character design, it's just nice to have Mikimoto designs. He did a good work on Macross 7, and I often wonder how Macross Plus would have turned out if he could have done the designs like he was supposed to.

- VF-17 That's definitly one of the coolese Valkyrie ever - a shame we don't see them more into action.

- Max & Milia Always loved the characters, so seeing them back in Macross 7 as supporting roles was awesomes

- VF-22 When it turned up at Operation Stargaze I was like : OMFG!!!!

- Macross Plus Music Minor detail - but I liked how they used some Macross Plus music as background music from time to time, felt like it was unitning both series.

- Gamlin One of my favorite macross caharter ever

- Mylene and Guvava Kawaiii !!!

Eck - everything :lol:

-Sergorn

Macross 7 was a good show that just had the misfortune of starring Basara.

Well...to be COMPLETELY geeky about it...if there's no Basara, there's no Anima Spiritia, and the Macross 7 Fleet becomes the Spirita Farm. THE END.

Now THAT would've been a crappy show!

On the other hand, it would've been a lot shorter.

Well- the part about the bodies being used up is something I thought about ... but here's the problem with that:

Where's the justice in that?

Are the families of those who were turned into jelly by the Protodevilin supposed to just say "yeah well shmit happens. Power the the Music!" ?

I guess in a sense the answer is yes - that's what reconciliation is all about - but my problem is this:

In SDFM TV, it was very VERY GOOD that the aftermath of the war was shown - and the PROBLEMS with Zendradi adapting to co-existance.

It wasn't just - well we have peace now! Peace out!

It showed how fragile and difficult building understanding is... and... in that sense was a more powerful and realistic ending.

Macross 7 was - in a way - a terrible ending. A huge battle and well... suddenly we're all hunky doory...

I dunno.. .that was the one thing that bothered me and prevented me from getting wrapped up in the moment.

Strange how I praise M7 in the 'I hate M7 threads!' while I criticize it in the "I like M7 threads'...

VFTF1

Well, again...maybe Gunther liked being host to Geperunichi...or maybe there's just no justice. There certainly wasn't for the connon fodder Varauta and Macross 5 pilots who were controlled by the Protodeviln...only to be blown up by an exuberant Docker...

DOCKERRRRRR!!!!

(sorry, had to say it.)

I see what you mean about the ending...but hey, Battle 7 blowed up real good, didn't it?

Well... wasn't Gigil and Gepelnitch the only Protodevilin who were actually usiong possessed bodies ? AFAIK, the other Protodevilin used the EVIL Prototype series bodies that had been created by the Protoculture - which AFAIK had no counciousness of their own. Gigil's host (can't rememebr his name) died, so there is just poor Ivano Gunther left yeah.

As for all the brainwashed pilots used by the Varauta fleet, I'll assume a good dose of sound energy and they'll be as good a new.

In SDFM TV, it was very VERY GOOD that the aftermath of the war was shown - and the PROBLEMS with Zendradi adapting to co-existance.

Macross 7 was - in a way - a terrible ending. A huge battle and well... suddenly we're all hunky doory...

Yeah I mentioned that once before. You see SDF is very unique in terme of how it ends the series - anime series often ends just like Macross 7 : it's over and voila. Indeed if SDFM didn't had an order of an extra ten or so episodes it would have ended with the bibg Bodolza battle. It's uncommon for anime to have some sort of epilogue... and that's what made SDFM too unique as well. I loved M7's ending but admintly I would have liked some sort of epilogue - I wish Dynamte 7 had done so instead of chasing after space whales :/

-Sergorn

Great, now we have a fleet of zombies commanded by a bishie roaming the galaxy,

Wasn't that Gundam SEED?

not to mention theres a another fleet of Meltran who worship Basara out there somewhere. :lol:

Gah!

I sincerely hope that Fleet of the Strongest Women is not considered canon.

Given it was dropped from broadcast plans, then packed in as a DVD extra, it's kind of in a gray area... right?