Star Wars toys

Well, dunno how many of you have ever bought any of the large B-Wing releases, but I decided not to pass on it this time (though I would have preferred the original markings, the red Dagger squad paint isn't bad at all). It was a bit expensive compared to the X-Wings and A-Wing I have, but oh well. ^_^

Since it's still the old ROTJ mold from the 80's, and I've never owned one before, I can't say for certain what's new and what isn't, but I'm fairly sure they've given this ship the same cockpit treatment that they did the new A-Wing, if it wasn't that way already. The adjustable control handles are a nice touch, and the painted/molded details in the cockpit look good.

What I thought is really interesting with this one is the interchangeable guns for the wings. Unless I'm mistaken, the original always had the plain movie-styled guns, so that's probably nothing new. But the addition of the alternate missile launchers is a nice touch, not for the missile launchers (while they do look rather cool as guns, the launcher springs suck like a hoover), but for the fact that they actually took the time and effort to cater to both the collectors and the kids. I'm really just glad they didn't replace the normal guns outright.

Functionality is pretty simple and effective, the cockpit rotates very smoothly, landing gear work well, and the wing mechanism is nearly flawless (doesn't quite reach 90 degrees) and rock solid, unlike the goofy s-foil mechanism in the large X-Wings. The pilot is nicely done as well, very detailed/posable, and came with a small sidearm blaster.

If I can find my camera soon, I'll put up a few close ups if anyone's interested.

My biggest annoyance with Hasbro recently is their lack of understanding in how things should be packaged. The last couple SW ships I've gotten have been rubber-banded and twist-tied to death. This wouldn't be such an issue on it's own.. it's just that they always manage to wrap bands around the soft parts of the ships. Long pointy things like gun barrels are always made with soft vinyl now, and Hasbro needs to have it beaten into their heads that long bendable objects are not things you want to use as tie-down points. The barrels on the B-Wing are only slightly stressed on the cockpit, and not too deformed fortunately, but my EpIII Obi Wan fighter was not so lucky. The rubber bands around the guns on that bent them completely out of shape. :angry:

Edited by Chronocidal

So the Indy line was cancelled or not? I'd give anything for a good 3-3/4'' toy of the nazi fighter plane from ROTLA. I guess I'll have to get the LEGO diorama instead.

Cancelled, and a lot of fans are mad. The paint applications were disappointing to begin with, they ruined otherwise fine figures. The Temple of Doom wave had figures everyone including myself wanted, but it is a pain trying to find them at retail. I too, would have LOVED to by the flying wing. The lego version does look rather nice.

Is anyone here collecting the excellent 1/144 Star Wars Vehicle Collection by Platz/F-toys, based on molds by Fine Molds? These are really amazing for what you get, no complaints about sculpt or paint in Series 1 unlike the Valkyrie Collection. 1/144 fits in great with other 1/144 stuff (Valks, Votoms, Gundam, fighters) to boot!

Here's series 1, released last year:

60058_01.jpg

60058_02.jpg

60058_03.jpg

60058_04.jpg

60058_05.jpg

Series 2 pics just released, with a March release date:

post-4730-1233673148_thumb.jpg

more pics:

http://www.platz-hobby.com/products/1637.html

Given how well Series 1 turned out, I'm really excited about Series 2. Hoping this line continues till we get the Millenium Falcon, TIE Interceptors, Bombers, A-wings, B-wings, ARC-170s, Gunships.... there's a LOT of potential for this line...

Cancelled, and a lot of fans are mad. The paint applications were disappointing to begin with, they ruined otherwise fine figures. The Temple of Doom wave had figures everyone including myself wanted, but it is a pain trying to find them at retail. I too, would have LOVED to by the flying wing. The lego version does look rather nice.

The LEGO Flying Wing IS very nice, I have it. Don't expect perfect movie accuracy, but it is pretty close and it looks really cool.

Vostok 7

Unless I can use it for Jedi (read: Sith :ph34r: ) mind-tricks, it's no good to me.

<waves hand at Hasbro employee>: Now, you'll go back to Hasbro, tell them to make a super-articulated and video game accurate Bastila Shan, and release that Bastila figure before the end of the year.

oh crap, they dropped those. I saw the flying wing at the lego store outside Disneyland a month ago, should have got it :(

(I was hopping they'd do a last crusade set with a mini-fig Sean Connery)

Edited by anime52k8

Oh come on... I don't need any more big X-Wings.. and sheesh, does that mean this one comes with a figure and an astromech AND LADDERS?? *sighs* Oh well.. time to make more room on my shelf then.

Btw.. anyone happen to have any spare FX-style X-Wing nose cones they'd be willing to sell? I hate the stupid child-proofed "flew into a wall" nosecone they started putting on these. "Oh no, the long stabbity guns are no problem, we've added a little blunt bit to the ends. But that chiseled rubber nosecone is just too dangerous to be left alone." <_<

Thanks for the link!

That Lumiya looks promising. Hopefully, those are ball-hinged knees I'm seeing there. Would have preferred a red light-whip too. But very impressive nonetheless.

Legacy pack looks like a potential pick up too. Would like to see how Krayt looks with the mask on (and I'm a bit worried about his articulation), but adding a female Imperial Knight to the mix takes the pack over the top for me. ^_^

No images of Build-A-Droid HK-47 though? :huh:

EDIT: Nevermind, I found pics for my questions above: Here.

Edited by Mog

oh crap, they dropped those. I saw the flying wing at the lego store outside Disneyland a month ago, should have got it :(

(I was hopping they'd do a last crusade set with a mini-fig Sean Connery)

There is a Last Crusade set from the first Indy LEGO line, it's the motorcycle chase. They are working on a fighter chase set which I hope will come with the Bi-Wing and a Bf109-looking fighter (the one in the movie was not a Bf109, but was done up to look like one).

The LEGO Flying Wing is masterful though, it's a great set. Slightly lacking in details, but does a great job of representing the sinister flying wing.

Vostok 7

post-690-1235066254_thumb.jpg

Finally saw a complete Wave of these at my local Toys R Us. They finally restocked Legacy Collection and TCW figures. I went ahead, bit the bullet, and got Stormtrooper Han & Luke, Spacetrooper, and Jawa in "one swift stroke". I picked up Ben a couple of weeks ago. I was tempted to get Goldie from TCW as well, but my check out price was getting a little high for me. Now I sit back and play the waiting game. :)

BTW with the four I picked up today at TRU. I am able to build R5-A2. I have no interest in the remaining figures from this wave.

So anyone here have any of the Sideshow 12 inch figures? I'm really tempted by the General Obi-wan Kenobi in Clone Trooper armor. I love Obi-wan in the armor and was sorely disappointed when he wasn't wearing it in Episode 3 at all :angry:

I don't have it but I got curious once I saw your question and looked it up, now thanks to you I am thinking of getting one also. LOL So I am also curious if any has experience with this figure also. I do have a Sideshow Darth Maul I got from a member here, but I have yet to check it out.

Edited by stram8777

I don't have it but I got curious once I saw your question and looked it up, now thanks to you I am thinking of getting one also. LOL So I am also curious if any has experience with this figure also. I do have a Sideshow Darth Maul I got from a member here, but I have yet to check it out.

I just bought the General Obi-wan off Amazon, had a gift certificate I got from using the Coinstar machine at the supermarket to count my loose change. Now I'm worried I'm gonna start wanting more and then maybe branch off into the Medicom and Hot Toys figures as well :lol: I have my eye on the Sideshow Darth Vader (Obi-wan gotta have someone to duel with B)) ).

Got the Dark Empire clone Palpatine and DE Luke. Both are pretty damned cool figures. The Luke needs the soft goods instead of the hard plastic flaring cape, but at least he's super articulated. The Emperor is a bit freaky with those lumpy splotches over him and looks a bit freaky without the robe, but is a damned cool figure with the robe.

Release of the year so far, IMO, and there have been some cool ones.

• 2 weeks later...

While I was picking up some GI Joes at Target yesterday, I glanced at the Star Wars section. Just love all the Clone/Stormtroopers that are coming out, but with all the stuff I already collect, I can't start with these, especially since I know I would have to army build. I also really like all the different human and alien pilot figures and various vehicles that have come out. Damn, have to resist temptation for now, unless I score the lotto! :)

i just got the Sideshow 12" Obi Wna from ep2, and it's an amazing figure. Sculpt is excellent, as is the movement in the body itself and the overall design of the clothes on the figure. i especially like the puches that contain the spare bits he comes with.

A very cool figure!

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought SS 12" Mace Windu today.

Here's some pics.

Mace01.jpg

*Force Push*

Mace02.jpg

"You want to put down that blaster..."

Just gotten the POTF2 Biker Scout from a fellow collector, and Wicket via Falcon's Hanger. And a quick action scene... Enjoyz.

Ambush01.jpg

"Don't Move!"

Ambush02.jpg

"Sir, do we stun him?"

Ambush03.jpg

"Captain Solo, do you read me?"

"We have captured a scout."

Ambush04.jpg

"Hey. Strip yourself, or we will do it for you..."

Ambush05.jpg

"White yUm YuM?!?"

Picked up the new Jedi Robes Jar Jar today. It's a cool figure and not only because I half-jokingly asked for one almost ten years ago in various Star Wars "What Figures Would You Like to See?" forum threads. Jar Jar hate was full steam and boiling at that time, and after suggesting a "Jedi Jar Jar Binks" a few times I think I did permanant damage to my reputation there. :lol: (note: I honestly did want one, I've always liked Jar Jar)

It blows my mind to actually have him standing on my desk, robe flowing and weilding a lightsaber with ferocity. I love it. :D

Now I'll go right ahead and say that I want a 12" version from Sideshow.

Edited by eriku

Picked up the new Jedi Robes Jar Jar today. It's a cool figure and not only because I half-jokingly asked for one almost ten years ago in various Star Wars "What Figures Would You Like to See?" forum threads. Jar Jar hate was full steam and boiling at that time, and after suggesting a "Jedi Jar Jar Binks" a few times I think I did permanant damage to my reputation there. :lol: (note: I honestly did want one, I've always liked Jar Jar)

It blows my mind to actually have him standing on my desk, robe flowing and weilding a lightsaber with ferocity. I love it. :D

I may have to get this figure for my work desk. For the longest time I used a Senator Jar Jar as a Jedi Jar Jar figure myself before I eventually got rid of my Jedi shelf. I'm a decade old fan of Jar Jar from the TPM days myself. Always felt that he was unfortunately the focus of all the childish jokes of the first movie. Jar Jar himself would've made a fine, if over the top, 'everyman' character had the movie not been flowered with poop jokes and Jar Jar unfortunately being involved in just about all of them. Sure his voice would've annoyed some, but he could've had such a nice arch. I do sort of dig his role in the overall story still, but wish Lucas hadn't been frightened by the fan feedback and relegated him to such a tiny role.

Back in the TPM days, I lead a fan fic on the Force.net that had Jar Jar become a Jedi and there were a number of others. If you look at what he accomplishes despite his carelessness and uncoordination, you have to start wondering if there's some kind of mystic energy field helping him out....