Star Wars toys

Slightly OT, but I think this'd be about the best thread to ask:

I need somewhere that lists the differences among individual fighters---like Red 3 vs Red 5, Gold Leader vs Gold 2, etc. I'm mainly talking Ep 4 and 6. I know one of the X-Wings has an obviously different engine, one has a very differently-painted laser, etc. These things often come up in reviews of the toys (and especially the new Fine Molds models) but I can't find what I need right now. I need X-Wing differences more than Y-Wing at the moment.

Any particular details you're looking for? And are you just interested in paint schemes, or surface details as well? It gets complicated here, since many of the randomly colored panels on the ships were actually places where they slapped on patches of sheet styrene, or other spare parts, and incorporated them into the paint patterns. I have a set of instructions for the fine molds kit somewhere, but I don't remember how much detail they go into.. they're for the 1/72 kit, so a set from the new 1/48 one would be better.

I can check my references a bit later, I think I have at least a few shots of each hero model from ANH, mostly Red 3 (and if not, I can get some screencaps from the dvd). I remember Reds 3 and 5 were very similar, with a few differences (the movie actually swapped them in a few shots if I recall), and Red 2 was an oddball that used some different parts, including a different canopy frame, and probably engines (funny thing... there's an old vintage J-79 mounted on a stand near where I work, and while the surface details are a bit different, I can never keep from thinking of it as an X-Wing engine.. the shape is identical).

Also, I could be wrong, but I don't think they paid too much attention to the markings in Ep 6. The number of ships at Endor was so massive, I don't think they had more than one or two hero models made of X-Wings, and I don't remember any closeups of Y-Wings. I've only ever seen one large scaled X-Wing that survived that movie, and it appears to the one used for Luke (though it may have been used for a couple of the Wedge closeups, I'll have to watch again). It's also VERY different from the original models, and about twice as big. At that size, they couldn't use the same kitbashing techniques, so a lot of the details changed drastically.

Funny, since Endor was so huge, ILM actually turned to the original MPC kits to make the bulk of the cannon fodder ships. And I'm pretty sure some of those models survived for a while... if you look closely at the X-Wings during the Star Tours ride at Disneyland, it's easy to recognize a few particular features of the MPC/ERTL kits.

Think I found what I needed--scans of the instruction and decal sheets for Fine Mold's kits. In case anyone's curious:

Red 3 and 5 each have 2 "striped" cannons, and Red 3 is the one with the funky engine (upper stbd--shorter exhaust). Red 3 and 5 have much more "patchy" markings, Leader and 2 are quite "complete".

I'm really digging the upcoming r2d2 legacy collection version... I have the current saga legends electronic version but it appears as though I can't remove the middle leg on it due to the electronic sounds feature it has. It's nice and all but lacks all the other gimmicks the other versions seem to have.

The jedi knight luke looks better than alot of the recent mold's for luke that have been released... Still nothing hold's a candle to the sculpt of the POTF2 jedi knight luke, although the articulation is limited the sculpt is nearly perfect.

One other thing to check on the cannons.. I don't remember if both ones with striped guns had this, but I do remember at least one of them having the front ring before the gun barrel painted a sort of yellowish color. I'm pretty sure Red 3 had this, but not sure about 5 (I believe 3 is the model pictured on the box of the old ROTJ edition MPC/ERTL kit).

Don't yell at me for being the odd one out in this thread but I just find find the current SW merchandise really boring. Ok, so stuff like the Fine Molds Falcon is nice (but I am not a hardcore M Falcon fan enough to pay that kind of money _and_ spend months building it).

Until Fine Molds makes an Executor (or even a vanilla ISD), i'm gonna be yawning.

I just nearly crapped myself when I got my latest Lego email. Quote:

"Celebrate the 10th anniversary of LEGO® Star Wars™ with The Battle of Endor™ and the Home One™ Mon Calamari Star Cruiser™!"

Unfortunately, the title was a little misleading. It's not another UCS set (good thing actually, I can't afford any more of those), it's a playset based on the briefing room and hangar. It's not bad though, and the hangar comes with what I think is a new style A-wing.

Edited by Chronocidal

Re: LEGO. Umm, that's not really news---they've been known about for months. And released for weeks.

Home One review: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30415

Endor review: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29347

That said---the big/surprise set for the end of the year hasn't been announced yet. And it's supposed to be "not a scene/playset" like Endor or Echo Base or Home One. Here's to hoping for UCS B-Wing or UCS Nebulon-B. Maybe the Executor? (though scale is an issue--how could ANY size "look right" for that, compared to either of the ISD kits already made?)

PS----there's a TIE Defender coming out later this year, or early 2010. Let's hope they go with grey/black like they finally did for the latest version of Vader's TIE, instead of black/blue like all the others...

Lego 8083 – Star Wars Rebel Trooper Battle Pack

Lego 8084 – Star Wars Snowtrooper Battle Pack

Lego 8085 – Star Wars Freeco Speeder

Lego 8086 – Star Wars Droid Tri-Fighter

Lego 8087 - Star Wars Tie Defender

Lego 8088 - Star Wars ARC-170 Starfighter

Lego 8092 - Star Wars Luke's Landspeeder

Re: LEGO. Umm, that's not really news---they've been known about for months. And released for weeks.

Home One review: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30415

Endor review: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29347

That said---the big/surprise set for the end of the year hasn't been announced yet. And it's supposed to be "not a scene/playset" like Endor or Echo Base or Home One. Here's to hoping for UCS B-Wing or UCS Nebulon-B. Maybe the Executor? (though scale is an issue--how could ANY size "look right" for that, compared to either of the ISD kits already made?)

PS----there's a TIE Defender coming out later this year, or early 2010. Let's hope they go with grey/black like they finally did for the latest version of Vader's TIE, instead of black/blue like all the others...

Don't care about the color scheme on the TIE/D, I just hope it doesn't suck.

And I hope it opens the door to them doing the TIE Avenger. The good TIE Fighter game one, not the crappy squashed egg cockpit from the later games.

Then I could die a happy man.

Vostok 7

If they had that, they should have had the Force Trainer thingy. (it's hard to describe, but it uses brainwaves)

I know what your talking about, but I don't think they had it. This thing caught my eye because I wasn't aware they were making it. It wasn't even with the Star Wars stuff. It was in another aisle with the educational toys. I just thought it was cool as it mimics Luke's binoculars from ANH.

Finally found the Concept Anakin...only 1....best Anakin figure I've got so far, I dig the look, an homage to Luke from ROTJ. I would have preferred if he was in this costume during ROTS.

I agree. This is how I envisioned Darth Vader back when I was in 2nd grade. Much darker looking.

Sheesh, $50? I got my red leader ones for between $15 and $25 a piece... no ladder or R2, but still, $25 for a figure and a ladder? Heck, even the ForceFX one I got was only $25 ^_^

I'll probably wait till they go on clearance. Then again.. my sister does work at Target... :)

Edited by Chronocidal

Just came back from Target and I spotted Wedge's X-wing. I would have picked one up, but it's $50! Ouch! I'll have to put a little money together before a buy it.
That's not bad considering you get the ladder, Wedge, and a droid. Luke's Dagobah X Wing from 2006 came with Luke, a swamp monster, and molded foliage for $44.99. Also it's not as bad as the ARC-170/Clone Wars Y-Wing that are being sold at Target for $65, and worse at TRU where they are being sold for $80.
Sheesh, $50? I got my red leader ones for between $15 and $25 a piece
When? I remember the regular price being $30 for the Red Leader X Wing w/Red Leader at TRU. Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Sheesh, $50? I got my red leader ones for between $15 and $25 a piece... no ladder or R2, but still, $25 for a figure and a ladder? Heck, even the ForceFX one I got was only $25 ^_^

I'll probably wait till they go on clearance. Then again.. my sister does work at Target... :)

I don't know if they will make it to clearance. A few days later I decided to bite the bullet and just get it, but both were gone. My advice would be that if you really want it, buy it when you see it.

Stupid question---how new is that mold? Brand-new, 5 years, 20 years? I'm really out of the loop for non-Lego SW stuff.
Forgot just how old, but that's from a few years back but may have been a re-release of the vintage version with slight retooling.

There is an all new AT ST coming out with 2 seats and more details, possibly more gimmicks.

DSCN1235.jpg

DSCN1601.jpg

i just snagged these two off EBAY last week, to go with my YAMATO MEGAZONE 23 GARLAND Shogo Type. i am thoroughly tired of Shogo's crazy-assed proportions, and his inability to stand.

it seems to me that the STAR WARS standard figure size is in PERFECT scale with Shogo and the GARLAND, so i figure that i can easily pop that "Sir Arthur" head off the biker scout, and replace it with Shogo's.

i figure that if i want to put the Biker Scout helmet on Shogo, i can simply pull his hair off (YEOWCH!!!!) and the helmet should fit on his hairless head. at any rate, we'll see, when the figures finally come...

GARLANDFIXED.jpg

GARLANDCARBINEMOUNT.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

There are pics floating of the prototype packaging.

And yes, the Tie Defender will be grey and black. It will include a Tie pilot, and to what appears to be either a Stormtrooper or a Biker scout.

The Snowtrooper BP will have a white speederbike, 2 snow troopers, 1 AT AT Driver, and 1 AT AT commander...

Geez but stuff got Pricey in Star Wars! I rememebr buying the Jedi STarfighters for about $30 USD shipped, now the V-Wing, which is tyhe same size, is about $70!!!!!! WTF?! I can buy the turbo tank for $100 Aussie!

That puts a big crimp in what Im willing to pay money for!