Macross 25th Anniversary TV Special thread *READ THE 1ST POST*

azrael

Rating  

298 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the TV special?

• Oh baby! I need new pants.
    • I need to see more or no comment.
    • Boring. Change the channel, NOW .

my bad, i just went back to that scene and sheryl did say that. i so used to readin' the subs that i didn't noticed whose lips were movin'. i thought that the only thing sheryl said was "foolish child" (shinsen subs) and that the other lady had said everything else in sheryl's defense.

Ahhhhhh ok, no problem. :D Now I know what sub to look for, thank you sir. :)

Ahhhhhh ok, no problem. :D Now I know what sub to look for, thank you sir. :)

go to the first page of this thread, i upped it onto flyupload.

maybe i watch too much anime and the voices sound alike to me, but isn't that the same voice in that youtube clip that did the intro to sdf macross and other narrations.

Edited by DJ Loe Kee

maybe i watch too much anime and the voices sound alike to me, but isn't that the same voice in that youtube clip that did the intro to sdf macross and other narrations.

Honestly, with all the references and scenes similar to those of other Macross series, I wouldn't be surprised. :D

But that's impossible, my friend. Basara is the King! :lol:

Chances are Basara's fame has long since passed. He never cared for the spotlight, and the popcharts are fickle. Though It would be awesome if he popped up during F.

I haven't watched the subbed version yet---is the VF-25 specifically NAMED Valkyrie, or is just "called a valkyrie". I'm not sure if it's canon in Macross to call "all transforming jets" valkyries, but we the fans sure do. If the -25 is NAMED Valkyrie, it should be the Valkyrie II. Unless we've got a new/retconned universe where the VF-1 never existed, and the -25 is the first to use the name. VF-0 never did get a name IIRC.

Valkyrie are the names coined for variable fighters in Macross, despite the VF-1 holding the codename. It probably continued on for the subsequent variable fighters as a general term. In Macross 7 its often you hear them saying "all Valkyrie squadrons, scramble" etc.

VF-0 was "Phoenix" at one point in time IIRC then don't know what happened to it.

And to answer questions about destroids:

I remember reading in the compendium(can't load it now for some reason) that they were the 1st mecha created before the valkyrie to address the alien threat, but due to their speed and inflexibility they were phased out of production in favour for the valkyries, despite the valkyries costing much more to produce. So there's no more destroids created after the valkyries apparently.

hey dj loe kee, welcome to mac world, is that a s14 with a s15 conversion with a cf hood, I am a nissan man myself. I am in the process of geting a r32 gts-t or a a31 cefiro if I can find one. well welcome and great to have a fellow rwd nissan fan here on mac world

PUTTING ON GLASSES, that is some excellent observation, this could be a break through.

*Squints*

*Tilts head*

i don't get it. What exactly are we looking at here again?

UN Spacy: Ouch.....yes what an irony.

*Squints*

*Tilts head*

i don't get it. What exactly are we looking at here again?

UN Spacy: Ouch.....yes what an irony.

According to the e-mail it was a third party that requested it. HG? Big West?

(sorry if it isn't encoding properly)

a result of a third-party notification by ¥Ð¥ó¥À¥¤¥Ó¥¸¥å¥¢¥ë³ô¼°²ñ¼Ò claiming that this material is infringing:

Chances are Basara's fame has long since passed. He never cared for the spotlight, and the popcharts are fickle. Though It would be awesome if he popped up during F.

I'm really hoping they have some kind of cameo beyond Sherly's less brash/macho way of saying "Listen to my song!". Even if it's something like Fire Bomber playing on a screen in the background, or maybe even a bit of generation gap comedy where an older character is 'dated' by their musical tastes.

I'm really impressed with the number of inside jokes and references they managed to pack into the first episode, without being overt about it; lets hope they keep up the trend!

A faceplate with holes in it, not even arranged in a similar pattern, isn't really enough to draw a connection from at this point. It's entirely possible that there's a connection between these insect-like mecha and rogue Zentradi, but at this early stage I'm not going to jump to any conclusions from something as small as this.

What part of "atleast" do you not understand? We have no evidence it has been released as of 2059.

What proof do you have that it hasn't?

Have we been reading the same thread or do you suffer from selective reading as well?

I do recall several posters curious as to how the President could have known about an alien threat in the vicinity before they even attacked.

It is reasonable to consider that he had access to the declassified reports from the AFOS investigations that may have tipped him off (there is no indication that such reports are public knowledge however).

Now with a decent sub we also have the question why would the SMS train for a "Victor" contingency unless it was previously orderd by their commander who appears to be the Colonial president ("Victor" battle plan appears to be training for a threat like the one they encountered - to help things along... <_< )?

Edited by Zinjo

Basically my understanding was that they found that a Valkyrie batteloid was just as well suited to ground ops as a destroid so they scrapped destroids (except things like the Variable monster of course)

That always irked me, destroids were OK "only" if they transformed... :angry: Granted all the Macross shows and games centered around the Stellar Navy aka UNS, however other branches were supposed to still exist. UN Marines, UN Air Force, etc...

Basara wasn't selfish, he was unconcerned with the immediate wants and needs of the people around him.

And concerned with what? How about his own wants and needs... sounds selfish to me... ^_^

Valkyrie are the names coined for variable fighters in Macross, despite the VF-1 holding the codename. It probably continued on for the subsequent variable fighters as a general term. In Macross 7 its often you hear them saying "all Valkyrie squadrons, scramble" etc.

VF-0 was "Phoenix" at one point in time IIRC then don't know what happened to it.

The term "Phoenix" for the Zero was first coined in Newtype USA, it was never the actual name of the Zero. IIRC, it was a board member who pointed out that the VF-0's name was "Zero", a nod to the Mitsubishi A6M Zero of WW2.

With the VF-1 Valkyrie such an iconic aircraft to the future generations in the Macross universe, it is no surprise that the name has become a coloquial term to describe any variable fighter similar to how it is in Japanese pop culture.

Very often kit manufacturers would put the name "Valkyrie" on their model kits so the consumer would know that it was a Macross kit.

What proof do you have that it hasn't?

You stated it as having been released, as if it were a known fact. It is not. It hasnt even been hinted at.

I do recall several posters curious as to how the President could have known about an alien threat in the vicinity before they even attacked.

It is reasonable to consider that he had access to the declassified reports from the AFOS investigations that may have tipped him off (there is no indication that such reports are public knowledge however).

Did you actually watch the first episode, or are you guessing about it as well?

Phew! Finally caught up with the thread... What a whirlwind of fun this weekend!

Gotta add my thoughts: The obvious woweewowwow! or ZOMG! is obligatory and appropriate. Awesomest, most exciting Macross I've seen since the opening of M+. It'll be interesting to see who becomes major characters out of all the little appearances made in this episode.

Love the character style, also got a slight Mospeada vibe, but the instant availability of the X-gear compared to unpacking the ride armor is definitely better. X-gear = "X"tra-vehicular gear? Really, it seems like a logical extension of the old pilot suit, which had thrusters built into it, now it's just practical in atmosphere as well.

The ghosts: Yay! I hope they counter the jamming later so we can see some serious M+ style arse-kickin' from them.

NUNS: say what you will about the new logo or unfortunate acronym, at least they switched up the paint scheme! I love the new pale green, pale blue over the way too bold blue and white from M7. I wonder if Battle25 looks tougher, like Battle13 - shot was too quick to tell.

The only flaw I had with the animation was the shot of Alto over the city. It was obviously CG, but it looked flat; like a weather map where they take a google earth pic and use it as a texture.

All in all, love it, hope the rest holds up!

and not even the green haired chick annoyed me to much

Green haired chicks...annoying?! SIR YOU EDGE ON BLASPHEME!

i know what she was doing, but it still sounds like jibberish. especially the english part. combined with the japanese it's hard to make any sense out of the lyrics.

Quiet plebian! Yoko Kanno's brilliance is wasted on you.

Basara wasn't selfish, he was unconcerned with the immediate wants and needs of the people around him.

...uhhhh, isn't that the definition of selfishness, not caring about others? :lol:

I think the problem with Destroids is two-fold, like stated, of size and deployment. They're usually to big to move through city streets and usually tear them up. When the whole point of streets is to get stuff moving. And they're alot larger than roads, so bridges would be an issue. Tanks are big and heavy but are alot smaller than destroids. They move too slow too so it takes forever to get them where they need to be. If they did like the Konig Monster off the game and had a transformation mainly for speedy deployment that'd work out nice. The City 7 stuff might have been made totally in-house and have not gotten out to the fleets yet.

I'm probably sure that we'll see them, but if you remember those old men and the Monster in Macross 7 you'll understand why they probably will use them sparringly.

i'm still pissed that 7 made max and milia get divorced (one of the highlights of sdf macross was their dogfights and synchonized fightin') and then they had to go and ruin that memory for me (i haven't seen the uncut scenes from the dvd set but my friend told me that the divorce is a "trick" and it's not real, but they acted like it wasn't a trick in 7).

I might be mis-remembering, but if I recall correctly, one of the sub-themes of Macross 7 was Max and Milia sort of "falling in love" again - if I recall how the arc worked, they were pretty much fighting and separated and getting divorced as the series opens. But by the end, they are teaming up again and fighting alongside each other, and I pretty much assumed it was implied they fell in love with each other again by the end.

Hola rick dieck

Si ya los recibi, trate de mandartelo pero el sistema me dice que tu elegiste no recibir PM, por favor checa My Controls para ver si no me tienes bloqueado o tienes desactivada la opcion de recibir PM

Saludos ^_^

Translation

Hi rick dieck

Yes I got it, I tried to send you but the system told me that you choosed not to received PM, please check it on My Controls if you have me blocked o you have that option turn off.

Greetings ^_^

Edited by Isamu test pilot

...uhhhh, isn't that the definition of selfishness, not caring about others? :lol:

No, actually.

self·ish

–adjective

1. devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others.

2. characterized by or manifesting concern or care only for oneself: selfish motives.

And concerned with what? How about his own wants and needs... sounds selfish to me... ^_^

Except he wasn't only concerned with his own personal gain or any such thing. Rather, he was an idealist that wanted everyone to get along and see the bigger picture. He was rather extreme in the pursuit of that ideal, which is why he needed characters like Ray and Max to temper him, and point him in the right direction where he'd do the most good towards those ends. He actually put up with quite a lot that went against his own personal interests to follow his ideals. He was against the whole idea of working with the military, Sound Force and all that.

Single minded? Yes. Missing what's right in front of him while looking at the "bigger picture"? Certainly. Poor people skills? You bet.

Selfish? I'm not so sure.

As for the arguments about the events of M0 being declassified, all Duke is saying, Zinjo, is that you seem to be coming out of left field with these statements about things happening, such as:

2059 is one year after the information gathered at Mayan Island became declassified

He pointed out that nowhere is it ever stated anywhere that this is the case. What you quoted in return only says that the events of Macross Zero remained classified for at least 50 years. Which means it could have been 100, or a thousand years for all we know.The only thing we know for certain is that it was not declassified within that 50 year span. Past that, we don't know. It does not say. So, to say definitively that events were declassified in 2058, the burden of proof lies on the person making that statement.

I loved the new Macross TV. Those bugs are nasty. I lvoe the way that planes get destroyed not just an explosion but very good detail of what happens to them.

The one question I had was the first ship to meet its maker from the red bug's big gun. What kind of ship was that?

I might be mis-remembering, but if I recall correctly, one of the sub-themes of Macross 7 was Max and Milia sort of "falling in love" again - if I recall how the arc worked, they were pretty much fighting and separated and getting divorced as the series opens. But by the end, they are teaming up again and fighting alongside each other, and I pretty much assumed it was implied they fell in love with each other again by the end.

A bit off-topic.... but I felt love never really was a issue between Max & Milia. I'd say they've always been still in love - but that their respective position within the Fleet just created a lot of strain between them, and thus hurt their relationship.

That being said I watched the episode again with the proper subs... and yeah it's even better when everything make sense ! :lol: I keep watching the concert scene over and over too... I love that song (I wonder if it could be the opening theme for the series... it'd fit)

-Sergorn

Edited by Sergorn