Exsedol

How do you feel about Basara?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Basara?

• Basara Rules!
    • Basara is annoying
    • I friggin HATE Basara!
    • Don't care either way

::mod mode:: Whew, here only 7 mins after the thread started. No flames YET...

Yeah, I thought that if I was going to weigh in on this poll I would try and get in before the shooting starts. Wouldn't want to walk into a situation where folk where going John Woo with gunpods.

I honestly don't have any strong feelings about Basara based on the 60% of Macross Seven that I have seen. He hasn't really stirred either like of dislike in me so far. I just feel a sense of acknowledgment of his presence and the function he plays in the drama. But there isn't any emotional reaction at all. But then that is fairly true of my reaction to Macross Seven in general. I like bits of it, don't like other bits but for some reason it doesn't really make any sort of impact on me as a whole. I'm not sure why it is but I can't really get engaged with the series as a whole. For me Basara, like Macross Seven overall, is just something which exists without provoking any actual reaction in me.

(Probably means there is something deficient in my Spiritia.....)

Karl

How about "Basara is part of an interesting ensemble of characters in Macross7"?

I don't hate or worship Basara. I admire his spirit as an individual and iconoclast. Many people think Macross7 is "lame" - now imagine how much lamer it would be is Basara was a conformist cookie-cutter pop idol.

The important question about Macross7 is not whether you hate Basara or even that you agree with him. The question is whether you understand Basara's POV.

There was a quite a good discussion thread about that awhile ago. People were arguing whether he was a Christ figure or a Buddha allegory. Not your usual flame war.

Yeah, I thought that if I was going to weigh in on this poll I would try and get in before the shooting starts. Wouldn't want to walk into a situation where folk where going John Woo with gunpods.

I honestly don't have any strong feelings about Basara based on the 60% of Macross Seven that I have seen. He hasn't really stirred either like of dislike in me so far. I just feel a sense of acknowledgment of his presence and the function he plays in the drama. But there isn't any emotional reaction at all. But then that is fairly true of my reaction to Macross Seven in general. I like bits of it, don't like other bits but for some reason it doesn't really make any sort of impact on me as a whole. I'm not sure why it is but I can't really get engaged with the series as a whole. For me Basara, like Macross Seven overall, is just something which exists without provoking any actual reaction in me.

(Probably means there is something deficient in my Spiritia.....)

Karl

I put your John Woo quote in my sig, TOOO FUNNY!! :lol:

I was part of the whole previous Basara thread, so my opinions on the character have already been noted...

Let me be clear on this: I like Macross 7. A lot. I'm actually rewatching it on the iPod Touch I bough recently.

That said, I do not like Basara.

Good characters are dynamic; over the course of a story, they grow and change, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. Basara begins the series forcing his extreme pacificst ideals one the rest of the cast, and by the end of the series, when his song finally ends the conflict with the Protodeviln, he's the same as when he started.

Gamlin, on the other hand, began as kind of a proud, by-the-book military pilot, but as the series went on, he learned to appreciate other views, to try new things, and to take more pride in doing a job well than in being a member of an elite group.

Let me be clear on this: I like Macross 7. A lot. I'm actually rewatching it on the iPod Touch I bough recently.

Good characters are dynamic; over the course of a story, they grow and change, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. Basara begins the series forcing his extreme pacificst ideals one the rest of the cast, and by the end of the series, when his song finally ends the conflict with the Protodeviln, he's the same as when he started.

Gamlin, on the other hand, began as kind of a proud, by-the-book military pilot, but as the series went on, he learned to appreciate other views, to try new things, and to take more pride in doing a job well than in being a member of an elite group.

Seconded in whole.

Well, except for the iPod Touch part.

Mylene also grows and evolves over the course of the series.

Between the two of them, we had great leads on both sides of the story.... if Basara would've ever quit hogging the spotlight.

I like Mylene...

Because pink is light purple?

Honestly, Mylene's not a bad character. She can be annoying at times, but she's a teenage girl, so that's pretty much par for the course. At least she wasn't as flighty as Minmay.

agreed.

I liked Macross 7 a lot too, and I'm indifferent to Basara. I wanted to like him, but I never developed any feelings for him like I did for Mylene and Gamlin. Let Basara have the Flower girl. Mylene and Gamlin should get together.

I also liked the underused bad-ass, Veffidas!

Maybe I'm shallow in this respect, but I just couldn't get past Gamlin's astroboy haircut...
No, not shallow at all. I had the same problem. I just try to ignore it. Edited by danth

Macross should be 90% Valkyries/ships engaged in some sort of battle and the rest drama/plot.

That would bring it down to the level of shows like Transformers and Gundam. The fact the Macross is a mecha anime that isn't just about the mechs is what makes it special.

Macross 7 was catered to teeny-boppers in Japan wearing rainbow colored hair and trendy clothes. Give me old school characters anyday catered to late 70s early 80s kids like me(we also have the money). Same thing with Transformers today....total garbage. Bring back G1 cartoons (I like Beast Wars because the story line was awesome and tied in with G1), Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory, and Zone back! Cell shading cartoons > CG crap! I wish Dreamwave would make G1 TF cartoons with Pat Lee cell shading drawings. The War Within!

That would bring it down to the level of shows like Transformers and Gundam. The fact the Macross is a mecha anime that isn't just about the mechs is what makes it special.

Hell ya! I didn't get into Robotech/Macross because of Lynn Minmei singing. I got into it because of the war and the mechas.

Hell ya! I didn't get into Robotech/Macross because of Lynn Minmei singing. I got into it because of the war and the mechas.

Yeah, it was like, "Why are they making such a fuss over this chick in RT, she can't even sing??" <_< , then I saw Macross and it was like, "OH! That's why they made such a fuss, Mari Ijima CAN sing!!!" :p

The RT generation got caught up in the ubercool Valks, then we got a taste of the ubercool music after the fact with SDF Macross... B))

Macross 7 was catered to teeny-boppers in Japan wearing rainbow colored hair and trendy clothes. Give me old school characters anyday catered to late 70s early 80s kids like me(we also have the money). Same thing with Transformers today....total garbage. Bring back G1 cartoons (I like Beast Wars because the story line was awesome and tied in with G1), Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory, and Zone back! Cell shading cartoons > CG crap! I wish Dreamwave would make G1 TF cartoons with Pat Lee cell shading drawings. The War Within!

Ummm.... The current cartoons ARE cel-shaded, at least from the shots I've seen.

Cel shading is a technique to make 3D polygonal models look hand-drawn. NOT the term for hand-drawn animation.

I really tried to give Basara and macross 7 a chance, but then I watched macross 7 encore: "the fleet of the strongest women" (even the title sounds stupid!) and the final scene was like a slap in the face! Then I realized that M7 is actually a show 'for kids only' and because of that a necessary evil for the franchise.

I don't hate or worship Basara. I admire his spirit as an individual and iconoclast. Many people think Macross7 is "lame" - now imagine how much lamer it would be is Basara was a conformist cookie-cutter pop idol.

The important question about Macross7 is not whether you hate Basara or even that you agree with him. The question is whether you understand Basara's POV.

I agree. From the first episode, I understood Basara's point of view - and in many ways share it. I think it is because I share much of Basara's point of view, that I found myself enjoying Macross 7 from the very first episode.

There was a quite a good discussion thread about that awhile ago. People were arguing whether he was a Christ figure or a Buddha allegory. Not your usual flame war.

Basara is neither a Christ figure nor a Buddha allegory. He's more a Bob Dylan or a Michael Franti. Probably even more Michael Franti than Bob Dylan because, like Basara, Michael Franti uses his music to go into war zones and spread the message of peace to all sides of a conflict. Some people may not like him, but he has no enemies.

I fail to understand why people feel the need to flame Macross 7 or its characters. Yes, it is different than the other series, but why create more of the same? There is a little bit of pacifism throughout the Macross series. In Macross 7, the authors were just more blatant about it.

It's no coincidence that Basara's birthday (and mine, btw :) ) is August 15th. August 15th is the date Japan surrendered in World War II and is often referred to by Japanese people as "end of war day".

peace

I really tried to give Basara and macross 7 a chance, but then I watched macross 7 encore: "the fleet of the strongest women" (even the title sounds stupid!) and the final scene was like a slap in the face! Then I realized that M7 is actually a show 'for kids only' and because of that a necessary evil for the franchise.

Basing your opinion of Macross 7 on "the fleet of the strongest women" is like basing an a opinion of Star Trek on the "Spock's Brain" episode. Both are classic examples of the writers of a normally great series having a stupid moment that unfortunately made it to production. I like Macross 7 a lot. I hate that encore episode and generally prefer to pretend it doesn't exist.

If that's all you've seen of Macross 7, then please watch some of the regular series. I won't guarantee you'll like the series - especially if you prefer Valkyrie battle stats to non-conforming pacifists :p - but you'll at least see the series for what it really is, eh.

peace