Transformer Super Thread 6

I'm fine with that Sunstreaker mold. I mean, yeah, the knees are a little weird, and I do wish he had hood feet, and I hope that engine is detachable in alt mode. But it looks enough like Sunstreaker, and I'm glad that he and Sideswipe (who will arguably wind up the better toy) aren't straight up repaints of each other.

I'm fine with that Sunstreaker mold. I mean, yeah, the knees are a little weird, and I do wish he had hood feet, and I hope that engine is detachable in alt mode. But it looks enough like Sunstreaker, and I'm glad that he and Sideswipe (who will arguably wind up the better toy) aren't straight up repaints of each other.

From what I understand they will be, its just that a single mold can transform into two different robot forms. If you look at the picture you can see the hood now makes his back. I think what's going to happen is they'll give it a new head and all you have to do is flip the torso around and voila, it's Sideswipe.

I think it's safe to say that complex transformations appeal greatly to some, and detract greatly to others, with many people falling somewhere inbetween. Personally, I enjoy both. That's why some days I'm breaking out my 1/48ths and the later 1/60 Valkyries from Plus and Zero. Other days, I just want to nab an old chunky monkey off the shelf and flip it between modes.

None of the Alternator transformations put me off, one of the Car Robot Transformers had the most frustrating transformation. The blue sports car. Such a pain. Now that I know how to Transform Grimlock, he's not that difficult to Transform, and I never have parts falling off since I know where I'm supposed to move the pieces. Grimlock is probably my 4th favourite mold. Mirage, then Jazz/Shockwave, and then Skids are my my top 3, and in that order with Mirage and Rodimus as my favourites.

I wish Windcharger had better arm and leg articulation. It even looks like he has a knee joint, but it won't budge.

I personally love complex transformations, but I also appreciate simple transformations pulled off very well. The old 1/55 is a good example. Also classics Bumblebee is a great example of a fairly simple, elegant transformation. The only transforming toy that frustrated me to the point of wanting to throw it across the room has been the Star Wars transforming Death Star.

Edited by GobotFool

Wow! I think that Sunstreaker looks cool!

I personally like easy and fun transformations.

Even some of the alts are pretty fun like Hot Rod/Mirage,Windcharger but alot of them were too complex and it didnt make them any more posable.

By far I think the Beast Wars figures are fun and very posable. Classics also had some great ones like Mirage! That guy can pose like no ones buisiness!

I like both complex and easy transformations, but articulation really sells me. Classics Mirage is my favorite of the Classics line, and maybe my favorite Transformer of all. His alt mode looks great, and his robot form is pure love...easy transformation, great aesthetics(I like skinny bots), prob the best articulation of any T-former to date, and virtually no kibble(the front wheel assembly detracts mildly- would have been cooler if Alex Kubalsky(sp?) had designed them to hinge down to lay under the chest/intakes.) I hope AK is involved more with the second wave of Classics, as he really has an incredible talent for incorporting a high level of articulation while maintaining the vehicle aesthetic. His Movie BB and Classics BB both illustrate the point as well. Can't say I care too much for this new Sunstreaker..looks like a kitbashed Alt Mirage to me, and I didn't like the leg design on him. I hope they make him, or at least Sideswipe, look just like the art shown at SDCC, i.e just like G1, only poseable with a, IMHO, better looking Lambourghini-esque car mode.

While seemingly needlessly complex, Alt Grimlock is still my favorite, with the RX-8 molds(Jazz/Meister and Shockwave) second, and Skids my third. Most of my collection are Binaltech, so the metal content makes them heavier and harder on the joints, so I tend not to play with them. Actually, I don't really play with any of my toys, except Classics Mirage, who is just straight-up excellent. Payload is prob my favorite Movie/game toy..his alt mode looks good, he's very well articulated, and looks fierce in robot mode.

The Alt RX-8 design really was a step up from the Suburu- the way the legs form the back seat is just awesome, and its poseability is much improved. I never liked the wheels touching the ground on these and the original G-1 designs' feet, and I wish they'd made them fold flat against the bottom of the feet, but still a great toy, and probably the most playable of the Alt/Binaltechs, IMHO. G1 Prowl was my first T-former, and I've been partial to his "look" ever since.

I'm really looking forward to the Animated toys. If you can get past the cartoony aesthetic, they're superbly designed, capturing the cartoon look very well, and still managing to have remarkably poseable and kibble-less to nearly kibble-less robot modes. I can't wait to see the Earth-alt Megatron prototype. I like the Osprey, and it's a new direction to go with Megs. I'm more excited for these toys than I was for the Movie.. I still don't care for the Movie designs that much, although some of the toys were unique, and well articulated for the most part. Su's work is more to my liking..very G1, but with very detailed joints, hydraulics and such, making them look more realistic.

Dave if you like smokescreen and never got a rx-8 mold I really have to recommend nabbing one. Its Smokescreens mold refined to perfection.

Definitely. Every part that had to be carefully and gingerly put into a precise place on the Smokescreen mold was given a LOT of leeway and those same parts now click and snap into firm and easy to fold to places like they should have.

Looking at that Classics Sunstreaker. First thought was that it looked like a 1:32 Roadbot. Not that that's a bad aesthetic; it just didn't immediately remind me of Sunstreaker. Second thought, I'm definitely seeing the Punch/CounterPunch design of the mold in that pic. That's pretty clever, imo. Maybe we will see an actual Punch/CounterPunch repaint of this mold with an Autobot sticker on the hood and a Decepticon sticker on the roof? :)

From what I understand they will be, its just that a single mold can transform into two different robot forms. If you look at the picture you can see the hood now makes his back. I think what's going to happen is they'll give it a new head and all you have to do is flip the torso around and voila, it's Sideswipe.

I gathered that. What I'm saying is that I'm giving Hasbro credit for even that much, especially since the earlier concept art pretty much looked like a yellow Sideswipe with Sunstreaker's head. I mean, Cliffjumper didn't even have a different head from Bumblebee. I know Hasbro likes to have some repaints to save some R&D costs, so I appreciate these little touches.

The reason I'm asserting that Sideswipe will arguably be superior is because I think the mold will look more correct with a hood chest. But it's totally moot, as the both of them are the two Classics 2.0 figures I'm looking forward to the most.

I'm looking forward to Prowl, since it's been awhile since we've had A decent Prowl toy, or any Prowl really (which is odd given that a few years ago Hasbro seemingly released some sort of Prowl once every few months, but haven't in a long time).

Ahh, trademarks.

I should point out that Universe 2 isn't strictly G1. Theoretically, Hasbro can make new toys of other series characters for this line, which was probably why they used the catch-all 'Universe' name.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

I'm looking forward to Prowl, since it's been awhile since we've had A decent Prowl toy, or any Prowl really (which is odd given that a few years ago Hasbro seemingly released some sort of Prowl once every few months, but haven't in a long time).

Ahh, trademarks.

I should point out that Universe 2 isn't strictly G1. Theoretically, Hasbro can make new toys of other series characters for this line, which was probably why they used the catch-all 'Universe' name.

I want to look forward to Prowl, but I reserve the right to get excited until I see some pics. Since Sideswipe was my first Transformer as a child, I was willing to let him slide and just get excited about the early concept art.

Well, it's Classics that got me collecting again, so I'll probably buy the G1-inspired Classics 2.0 Universe toys, but that's probably it. I could maybe see myself buying any Optimus Prime reissues from earlier lines, or maybe Energon Megatron or Starscream, but for the most part, there's a reason I didn't buy any of those toys the first time. And yeah, I know Beast Wars was supposed to be a great show, but I'm not big on animal toys, even if they turn into giant robots.

Well that's exactly it--Beast Wars is a great SHOW. Many of the toys leave something to be desired. The TM1 and TM2 sub-lines had some very nice, G1-esque toys. But a lot of the rest were from "meh" to "that's just plain lazy design".

Dragon Megatron is still one of the coolest TF toys ever IMHO. So cool I bought the repaint as well. (I do plan on selling a lot of my BW toys though, gotta fund the valk collection---everything that came with a box still has the box---I just don't want to do it on ebay)

If they were to do non-G1 toys, I'd like to see an all-new Beast Wars Dinobot. Because Dinobot is awesome. But his toys suck.

Dunno, I find his Transmetal II figure to be pretty darn cool. Although, his original toy does leave something to be desired...

If they were to do non-G1 toys, I'd like to see an all-new Beast Wars Dinobot. Because Dinobot is awesome. But his toys suck.

I'd also like to see new, articulated toys for Armada Megatron and Starscream.

And even when they did the recent show accurate Dinobot repaints in the 10th Anniversary line here and in Japan, they left something to be desired in the execution. Green bones?

A deluxe or voyager sized Armada Megatron and Starscream with the articulation that they should have had is a pretty good idea.

A deluxe or voyager sized Armada Megatron and Starscream with the articulation that they should have had is a pretty good idea.

I could be interested in an Armada Starscream or Megatron, but (I think I'm in a minority when I say this) I'd prefer their Energon counterparts. I almost bought the Deluxe Energon Starscream the first time around, but I just wasn't ready to get back into Transformers then. As for Megatron, yeah, his alt mode was crap, but I really liked his G1 Galvatron-ish appearance, as opposed to Armada Megatron who didn't look like anyone.

You know what else would be cool? An Ultra-class G1-styled Scorponok. Doesn't have to be a Headmaster, or do the city mode. I'll be happy with a kick ass robot that turns into a kick ass scorpion.

If they do that, though, I'll want a Primus-sized Fortress Maximus. But he'd still have to be a Headmaster on a Headmaster.

I recommend getting Deluxe Energon Starscream over Armada Starscream. I have Deluxe Energon Starscream and Armada Thundercracker (a repaint of Armada Starscream) and I think the former is the better mold overall. Unless you prefer the mini-con & sound effect gimmicks.

FYI: In both the TF Armada and Energon series, Hasbro used the same molds for Megatron & Galvatron, just different paint decos.

I have Armada Megatron (tank) and Energon Galvaltron (futuristic airplane) - both are great and fun molds.

Highly recommended.

I recommend getting Deluxe Energon Starscream over Armada Starscream. I have Deluxe Energon Starscream and Armada Thundercracker (a repaint of Armada Starscream) and I think the former is the better mold overall. Unless you prefer the mini-con & sound effect gimmicks.

I had the Energon and Armada Starscream, ended up getting rid of the Armada one but kept the Energon one. Energon Starscream is, in my opinion, far more fun to fiddle with than the Armada version. (Yes, this is a factor for me with Transformers - the ones that are no fun to fiddle around with whilst watching the TV end up on the pile for disposal.). Also, Energon Starscream is plain asthetically more pleasing - it just looks nicer than the Armada version.

Karl

I like both complex and easy transformations, but articulation really sells me. Classics Mirage is my favorite of the Classics line, and maybe my favorite Transformer of all. His alt mode looks great, and his robot form is pure love...easy transformation, great aesthetics(I like skinny bots), prob the best articulation of any T-former to date, and virtually no kibble(the front wheel assembly detracts mildly- would have been cooler if Alex Kubalsky(sp?) had designed them to hinge down to lay under the chest/intakes.) I hope AK is involved more with the second wave of Classics, as he really has an incredible talent for incorporting a high level of articulation while maintaining the vehicle aesthetic. His Movie BB and Classics BB both illustrate the point as well. Can't say I care too much for this new Sunstreaker..looks like a kitbashed Alt Mirage to me, and I didn't like the leg design on him. I hope they make him, or at least Sideswipe, look just like the art shown at SDCC, i.e just like G1, only poseable with a, IMHO, better looking Lambourghini-esque car mode.

While seemingly needlessly complex, Alt Grimlock is still my favorite, with the RX-8 molds(Jazz/Meister and Shockwave) second, and Skids my third. Most of my collection are Binaltech, so the metal content makes them heavier and harder on the joints, so I tend not to play with them. Actually, I don't really play with any of my toys, except Classics Mirage, who is just straight-up excellent. Payload is prob my favorite Movie/game toy..his alt mode looks good, he's very well articulated, and looks fierce in robot mode.

The Alt RX-8 design really was a step up from the Suburu- the way the legs form the back seat is just awesome, and its poseability is much improved. I never liked the wheels touching the ground on these and the original G-1 designs' feet, and I wish they'd made them fold flat against the bottom of the feet, but still a great toy, and probably the most playable of the Alt/Binaltechs, IMHO. G1 Prowl was my first T-former, and I've been partial to his "look" ever since.

I'm really looking forward to the Animated toys. If you can get past the cartoony aesthetic, they're superbly designed, capturing the cartoon look very well, and still managing to have remarkably poseable and kibble-less to nearly kibble-less robot modes. I can't wait to see the Earth-alt Megatron prototype. I like the Osprey, and it's a new direction to go with Megs. I'm more excited for these toys than I was for the Movie.. I still don't care for the Movie designs that much, although some of the toys were unique, and well articulated for the most part. Su's work is more to my liking..very G1, but with very detailed joints, hydraulics and such, making them look more realistic.

I love classic mirage too. Just the wheels sticking behind him ruins it. It would have been good if they hang pointing towards the floor like the wheels of those transforming bikes in bubblegum crisis.

And yeah, I know Beast Wars was supposed to be a great show, but I'm not big on animal toys, even if they turn into giant robots.

Dinobots are the exception: as long as in the cartoon they show them as primitive warriors whose beast mode makes them scary, then I'm all for 'animals'. But normal animals have never appealed to me for some reason. Classics grimlock is one of my favourite classics toys. The tail articulation is great. Ruined a little bit by short arms.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I could be interested in an Armada Starscream or Megatron, but (I think I'm in a minority when I say this) I'd prefer their Energon counterparts. I almost bought the Deluxe Energon Starscream the first time around, but I just wasn't ready to get back into Transformers then. As for Megatron, yeah, his alt mode was crap, but I really liked his G1 Galvatron-ish appearance, as opposed to Armada Megatron who didn't look like anyone.
They're probably doing an Ultra class G1 Galvatron for Universe anyway. As for Armada Megatron, I think him not particularly looking like anybody was kind of the point of his design. You gotta let the designers design with their own imagination, rather than merely paying homage to something somebody else did in the past, or we'll never get anything new ;)

I really like Armada Megatron because of all of his (relatively unobtrusive) gimmicks and his generally mean appearance. He just needed hip and knee articulation and he'd have been perfect.

I had the Energon and Armada Starscream, ended up getting rid of the Armada one but kept the Energon one. Energon Starscream is, in my opinion, far more fun to fiddle with than the Armada version. (Yes, this is a factor for me with Transformers - the ones that are no fun to fiddle around with whilst watching the TV end up on the pile for disposal.). Also, Energon Starscream is plain asthetically more pleasing - it just looks nicer than the Armada version.

Karl

I'm the opposite, I often put characterisation into purchasing decisions, and since Armada Starscream was the superior character, I prefer him to his Energon body. Energon Starscream was just a characterless zombie yes-man because Takara and their writers just didn't care.

Energon Starscream was a better toy than Armada Starscream, but while they might be desirable for kids, they were both dissapointing for me. I even like the chunky movie Starscream's F-22 mode compared to the hybrid tiny control surface g2 Smokescreen inspired Energon Starscream's fighter mode(I have all 3 of the mentioned toys and played with each extensively, and yes maybe its not exactly an F-22 for Energon but the animation one was more accurate and it was obvious what it was supposed to look like). Armada Starscream suffers from having too much compromise for the minicon gimmick, and Energon Starscream suffers from trying to cram too much in confined areas. Even with the huge undercarriage, I still prefer movie Starscream over both of those.

Classics Starscream was a better toy than Energon and Armada Starscream, articulation wasn't hindered, and the alt mode was much more sleeker. Not to mention the weapon launching gimmick didn't get in the way of anything. Thigh/bicep swivels and retractable landing gear along with a flush underside would have made him near perfect though.

Even with the huge undercarriage, I still prefer movie Starscream over both of those.

Am I the only one who thinks the undercarriage of Movie Starscream would look much less intrusive with the legs reversed?

(With the feet point forward and the knees facing the back of the plane)

the knees would even look like engines!

Am I the only one who thinks the undercarriage of Movie Starscream would look much less intrusive with the legs reversed?

(With the feet point forward and the knees facing the back of the plane)

the knees would even look like engines!

Can the figure be modified so i can be transformed as you say? so it looks slimmer?

I say give up and wait for Movie 2 Starscream

That can be the rational for any movie character. The sad thing about the movie toys, is that as great as they are in my eyes, I know they will most likely be completely outdone by the 2nd movie versions. As it stands, movie Starscream is one of the most fun Starcream figures to play with. A transcanning version would be cool too, no doubt it would be able to have a sleeker alt mode, and I actually want some of the transcanning figures.

The top 3 most fun to play with Starscream figures to me are:

1-Masterpiece Hasbro Starscream(yes I play with it)

2-Movie Starscream

3-Classics Starscream

The top 3 most fun to play with Starscream figures to me are:

1-Masterpiece Hasbro Starscream(yes I play with it)

2-Movie Starscream

3-Classics Starscream

Did you ever got busted while making funny sounds with them? ^_^

I could be interested in an Armada Starscream or Megatron, but (I think I'm in a minority when I say this) I'd prefer their Energon counterparts. I almost bought the Deluxe Energon Starscream the first time around, but I just wasn't ready to get back into Transformers then.

Mike,

Took some comparison pics of the Deluxe Energon Starscream (left) vs. the Voyager Armada Thundercracker (right), so you'd have a better idea of the differences between the two. I have the non-G1 paint scheme of Energon Starscream and Armada Thundercracker is a repaint of Armada Starscream

Hope this helps mate.

Enjoy.

post-3878-1201475539_thumb.jpg

post-3878-1201475546_thumb.jpg

post-3878-1201475553_thumb.jpg

Mike,

Took some comparison pics of the Deluxe Energon Starscream (left) vs. the Voyager Armada Thundercracker (right), so you'd have a better idea of the differences between the two. I have the non-G1 paint scheme of Energon Starscream and Armada Thundercracker is a repaint of Armada Starscream

Hope this helps mate.

Enjoy.

Thanks, yeah, I think I definitely prefer Energon. It's not that Armada is bad, I just don't care for his alt mode. Energon SS might not be a perfect F-22, but he's close enough that I want to play with him.

FYI, looks like the BotCon 2008 exclusive set has been announced: a "Mirror Universe" theme, with the Autobots being bad guys and Decepticons being good guys ... meh. The only thing that interests me is the potential Nemesis Prime repaint of Classics Prime.

:mellow:

http://tformers.com/transformers-botcon-20.../8913/news.html

Maybe they'll make his primary color light blue, with red and white stripes ... he'll look like Classics "Thundercracker" ... and cause another outrage in TF fandom on BotCon exclusives .....

:lol: :lol:

Edited by Vermillion21

How will Starscream be made to look "good"? I mean, he already has "Autobot red and blue" as his main accent colors.

Gasp! Dave I think you just hit on the truth behind Starscream. He is really an autobot agent in place to destabalize the decepticon power structure. Seems screamer is even more devious than any one ever realized! :lol: