Transformer Super Thread 6

I dunno.... this would be a no-brainer, and a def. instant purchase for me, but I'd like to see so me more concrete evidence...

Could anyone read the text in that picture? I'm a little skeptical at the moment. However Takara hasn't put out a new mold for the MP line for a little while now. So maybe this could be the next big thing! Although I don't know if MP-07 will go to the supposedly anime accurate colored MP Starscream.

Although if Takara does make Grimlock, Grimlock would suggest something like this

ME GRIMLOCK NOT FLIMSY ME KING!!!!!!!

Grimlock, eh? I know he's been one of the top choices in mp poll threads on other boards, so it's not that surprising. Eh, I have the WSTF Grimlock. That's enough for my Grimlock needs.

I need more than a silhouette of the G1 toy to convince me---Grimlock's been guessed/hoped for since MP-01.

If it does come out, I have one request. That it's F-ing huge in dino mode. OK, two requests: Also that Kawamori isn't allowed to 'tweak' the design.

f yeah, i'd buy a MP Grimmy like *snaps* that! Haven't got any other new (since the small group i collected since childhood) transformers besides MP Starscream on pre-order..

And Grimlock was my fav Autobot, with Screamer being the all time fav of all Transformers....

Guys, has anyone said here yet why the Jap release "usa" version of Starscream is so expensive compared to the USA version??

Just coz of the properly coloured wing transforming/joining system? I'm thinking of cancelling my pre-order and try to find the USA version for 20 or so USD less...

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Could anyone read the text in that picture? I'm a little skeptical at the moment.

The text is actually about Gundam model kits which is what makes this whole thing seem fishy. I'm going to need more concrete proof cuz the pic just isn't legit enough for me.

Edited by IXTL

I need more than a silhouette of the G1 toy to convince me---Grimlock's been guessed/hoped for since MP-01.

If it does come out, I have one request. That it's F-ing huge in dino mode. OK, two requests: Also that Kawamori isn't allowed to 'tweak' the design.

normal_Zoids%20-%20Giga%20Rock.jpg

If they give im big arse cannons like this Zoid bot i'll let them make this tweak. :lol: But they don't need to of course. :)

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

f yeah, i'd buy a MP Grimmy like *snaps* that! Haven't got any other new (since the small group i collected since childhood) transformers besides MP Starscream on pre-order..

And Grimlock was my fav Autobot, with Screamer being the all time fav of all Transformers....

Guys, has anyone said here yet why the Jap release "usa" version of Starscream is so expensive compared to the USA version??

Just coz of the properly coloured wing transforming/joining system? I'm thinking of cancelling my pre-order and try to find the USA version for 20 or so USD less...

While some Wal-Marts were rumored to have piles of Starscream sitting on clearance, non-Wal-Mart internet sellers were already selling the US version for $100, and $100 pretty much falls in line with the Japanese pricing for the original MP Starscream and Skywarp. Hasbro cut corners, or Takara has been overcharging from the get-go, take your pick.

If you can find a Wal-Mart Starscream, I'd say pick it up. I haven't had any issues with mine, and I think he might actually be my favorite MP toy (Prime being too heavy, and Megatron is difficult to pose on his skinny legs, plus some joints were really tight and others kinda loose). But I wouldn't cancel your preorder until you actually find a Wal-Mart Screamer, because despite the rumors of clearance, I found mine in late November, and never saw one again.

i would definitely get mp grimlock if it turns out to be true. the pic is the same as the g1 grimlock box art though. maybe there is a mixup and g1 grimlock will be reissued instead.

someone please post when hlj gets encore omega supreme for early bird preorder.

The text next to the Masterpiece Grimlock suggests that the Gundam 00 designer is involved in the creation of MP Grimlock, kinda like Kawamori was for MP Starscream.

The USA Hasbro release was a Walmart exclusive - just about all Transformers are about half price compared to down here. Here it was a TRU exclusive... yeah.

I havent seen any pics with the "properly coloured wing transforming/joining system", if by that you mean the black hinges. There are a few color variations floating around, but all I have seen have the black hinges and scorch marks. :angry:

One thing to consider is that given Japan only ever had the G1 cartoon continuity as their Transformers for a long time, Grimlock isn't as popular there as he is in Hasbro's markets (with the Marvel comics to give Grimlock a more serious, credible characterisation). Hasbro themselves said at Botcon 2006 that if they were to do another Masterpiece toy, they wanted to do Grimlock (but at the time there were no plans).

So IF this is true, this might be another Hasbro-initiated project, because TakaraTomy (with their more limited market) are forced to stick to what's popular in Japan TF for collector stuff.

From what I can see from the pictures it looks like most of the chrome is just on the truck parts. Are the robot parts going to be just dull grey plastic on the takara version? I was really hoping for chromed leg and arm parts despite the fact that the chrome would probably wear off if I transformed it alot, but hey thats what me cheaper takara version is for. :)
Problem is chrome robot parts aren't accurate. Prime's truck parts are chrome, but the robot parts are silver, unpolished metal (kinda dirty and beat up looking, actually). Best one could hope for is painted silver parts on some of the robot bits, like on Hasbro's.

Count me as one of them!!! Man I really hope they make this and if so I'm really looking forward to seeing what he'll look like!!

Question for you all though, would a Dino bots Alt mode be considered the Robot mode? They seem to prefer being in Dino mode over the bot mode If so that would make them kinda of unique sincce they are opposite of other transformers. Thaey just better make the Rex mode look awesome. Personally, I found the classics Grimlock the best of the bunch so far and if the MP version used the consepts from that, the dino should look amazing!!!

Chris

Edited by Dobber

The text next to the Masterpiece Grimlock suggests that the Gundam 00 designer is involved in the creation of MP Grimlock, kinda like Kawamori was for MP Starscream.
It actually doesn't say that. The text is apparently about Gundam 00 model kit prototypes.

See here.

I'm inclined to think this is Grimlock news a hoax until proven otherwise.

I wonder if they will ever do all the other dinobots for the classic/universe line?

I hope so, but I doubt it, since I think Hasbro will be releasing some of the dinobots under the TF animated line.

And yeah, bring on MP Grimlock!!!

^_^

After constantly staring at the X-wing Luke SWTF, I finally picked him up. He's okay, the main draw for me was that he is an X wing and Luke. He is not without his flaws however. The tabs used to line up his lower wings in alt mode hinder shoulder articulation, and really aren't necessary. It is a pain to get his wings into attack position. If you bend the upper wings at their bend joint, they are angled up too high. If you use the engines to angle the wings instead, the arms from robot mode are no longer hidden. However the latter way is the best way for the attack position, as it does not angle the wings at an extreme like just bending the upper wing joints. The hexagonal open space on the right wing for the gun mount is at a different angle than the rest, resulting in difficulty holding the gun in the right position in alt mode. Mine is the more stable version, with the legs being ratcheted, but unfortunately, not able to slid upwards to be parallel to the waist like this. So this fix hurts it a lot aesthetically.*note-if yours is in TAC packaging, it probably has the fix, the 2006 versions do not to my knowledge* The arms don't fall off on mine.

I like piloted mecha, and toys of them are fun to play with, which is another reason I was drawn to the SWTFs, after months of hesitating. I thought Xwing Luke would be a regretful purchase, the one everyone dreads. However, after slicing off the tabs that hindered his arm movement, he is a more enjoyable toy. I'm not a fan of the alt mode proportions but the xwing does look to scale with the included figure. As surprising as this sounds, he is actually more solid than the sharkmouth ARC-170 SWTF I bought last week. He actually does have side to side shoulder movement, but it is very limited. It helps angle the lower wings downward in alt mode too.

Pros:

-better leg/hip stability than previous version

-good scale to pilot

-decent articulation

-place for pilot to sit in both modes

-tight joints

-long landing gear

Cons:

-proportions in both modes(fat in alt mode, skinny in robot mode, come to think of it, if this were reversed, BOTH modes would look better, and the robot would actually resemble the box art!

-arm tabs to align lower wings in alt mode limit shoulder movement in robot mode(before I modded it)

-very back heavy

-no secure way to lock sfoils in attack position(thankfully the wing/engine joints have enough tension to hold position.

-odd hexagonal insertion point for cannon on lower right wing

-can barely hold lightsaber

-missles don't shoot that far.

-hard to align cannons in alt mode

-Leg position looks worse than the original(trade off for better stability)

If the xwing is one of your favorite vehicles, you might like this toy. I recommend modding the shoulder/engine area to free up the shoulder movement. Chances are the one you buy will be like the one I have with the leg fix, which does hurt aesthetically as it makes his legs look too close together and makes him look too skinny overall, but does aid in stability since there are ratchets in the hips. I also recommend using the waist plates to help aid in the aesthetic so the legs won't look so skinny, it balances out the aesthetic in a way. This isn't a must buy, in fact I was hestitating in hope that a better version would come out later on. Decent, but better with the shoulder mod(all you need is a knife to slice off the tabs). I give it a C.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

If there is an MP Grimlock on the way, I'll certainly be picking him up. Still, I'm just going to assume this is a hoax until there's some sort of confirmation. A silhouette paired with some completely unrelated Japanese text really seems to lean in that direction.

*Edit*

All this talk of MP Grimlock made me pick up Alt Grimlock off my shelf again. I still love this toy. My only complaint, as it was then and with so many other Alternators, are the ball joint hips. Mirage/Rodimus and Jazz/Shockwave, and others have no problem standing up. But those with balljoints often wind up doing the splits far too easily.

Edited by Radd

If there is an MP Grimlock on the way, I'll certainly be picking him up. Still, I'm just going to assume this is a hoax until there's some sort of confirmation. A silhouette paired with some completely unrelated Japanese text really seems to lean in that direction.

*Edit*

All this talk of MP Grimlock made me pick up Alt Grimlock off my shelf again. I still love this toy. My only complaint, as it was then and with so many other Alternators, are the ball joint hips. Mirage/Rodimus and Jazz/Shockwave, and others have no problem standing up. But those with balljoints often wind up doing the splits far too easily.

I love Alt Grimlock as well except for one thing. The 2 twist waist piece. Wow that is a pain in the butt sometimes! Other than that its a cool toy.

I love the Classics Grimlock the most so far though.

I just finally got a G1 Grimmy a couple weeks ago, and he is def. one of the best looking G1 toys (and best dinobots after Sludge, who I love for his articulation and character)... still not seeing anything to actually suggest MP-Grimlock beyond wild speculation tho...

Some of you folks have been mentioning the TF Alternators line ... argueably one of THE BEST TF lines IMHO.

Yes, arguably. Personally, I don't care how detailed the licensed car modes were, I thought the Alternators were a little boring.

For what they were, the Alternators were totally awesome, but as a whole TF line, it was a boring line after the third round of repaints... TFs can't ALL be cars.

In other news... one G1 Dinobot to go after finding a great deal on Slag (the weakest dinobot mold) today... all that's left is Snarl, and some accessories.

So if they do a MP Grimlock, if they are keeping them all in scale in their robot modes, wouldn't that make him bigger than Prime? was Starscream robot mode at the same scale as Prime's?

Mine is the more stable version, with the legs being ratcheted, but unfortunately, not able to slid upwards to be parallel to the waist like this. So this fix hurts it a lot aesthetically.*note-if yours is in TAC packaging, it probably has the fix, the 2006 versions do not to my knowledge* The arms don't fall off on mine.

I like piloted mecha, and toys of them are fun to play with, which is another reason I was drawn to the SWTFs, after months of hesitating. I thought Xwing Luke would be a regretful purchase, the one everyone dreads. However, after slicing off the tabs that hindered his arm movement, he is a more enjoyable toy. I'm not a fan of the alt mode proportions but the xwing does look to scale with the included figure. As surprising as this sounds, he is actually more solid than the sharkmouth ARC-170 SWTF I bought last week. He actually does have side to side shoulder movement, but it is very limited. It helps angle the lower wings downward in alt mode too.

If the xwing is one of your favorite vehicles, you might like this toy. I recommend modding the shoulder/engine area to free up the shoulder movement. Chances are the one you buy will be like the one I have with the leg fix, which does hurt aesthetically as it makes his legs look too close together and makes him look too skinny overall, but does aid in stability since there are ratchets in the hips. I also recommend using the waist plates to help aid in the aesthetic so the legs won't look so skinny, it balances out the aesthetic in a way. This isn't a must buy, in fact I was hestitating in hope that a better version would come out later on. Decent, but better with the shoulder mod(all you need is a knife to slice off the tabs). I give it a C.

So you gave in and finally bought one, eh? :)

Sounds about the same as my impressions. I had no idea there was a new version out with ratcheted legs. Frankly, I didn't know it was a problem that needed fixing because the friction there was always sufficient on mine. I have more problems with the friction on the knee joints because that's what has more trouble balancing the backpack.

I didn't have any issues with the hexagon holes for the guns. They're all symmetrical. I never bothered with the shoulder mod as I kind of like the look of all four thrusters sticking up behind the head and shoulders. Mine has to grip the lightsaber by the bottom of the hilt, and it's not a good grip either, but it's the only way he'll hold it. It's not a terrible SWTF, and it's not the best either. Being an X-wing helps lots. Yeah, it's about a C.

And Alternators will always be my favorite line. I consider it and the MP line to be one and the same even if it isn't officially. Yeah, they're more show pieces than playable figures/toys, but that's what I want out of the line at this point.

Guys, I really advise you to not get too excited at this news until we get more concrete evidence, given the text isn't even about Transformers OR Grimlock.

I found Alternators to be supremely boring, then again, I find most collector toys to be boring because they exist to be put on shelves, and little else.

Frankly, I didn't know it was a problem that needed fixing because the friction there was always sufficient on mine.

I've heard the legs on the original were looser, but the fixed legs look so much worse!

I didn't have any issues with the hexagon holes for the guns. They're all symmetrical.

3 of mine I believe are symetrical, the lower right one is definitely asymetrical. The fixed one just makes the legs more stable, but makes the toy worse in other areas. There is no point in making one mounting point asymetrical, so the ball was definitely dropped on mine, for no apparent reason. Its ridiculous.

It's not a terrible SWTF, and it's not the best either.

Agreed! Honestly the ARC-170's arm articulation is more dissapointing, because it lacks a locking mechanism! The shoulders are just flimsy, the movement is better on the ARC-170 arms no doubt, but there is barely enough tension to hold any nice position you put them in.

I hear the Jedi starfighter with hyperspace ring is one of the best SWTFs. Still trying to find out if he can raise his arms 90 degrees straight forward, or at least close to that. An obi wan repaint is coming out soon for that mold. I'll give it this, its one of the best looking in the line.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

I found Alternators to be supremely boring, then again, I find most collector toys to be boring because they exist to be put on shelves, and little else.

Then you are applying the wrong criteria. I found them to be exceptional pieces of engineering and an amazing homage to the origional G1 characters they represent (largely). It's because the BIN/Alt?KP line has officially ended that I find myself returning to Macross again. Masterpiece (and selected orters) is all that interest me as far as TFs go now.

I hear the Jedi starfighter with hyperspace ring is one of the best SWTFs. Still trying to find out if he can raise his arms 90 degrees straight forward, or at least close to that. An obi wan repaint is coming out soon for that mold. I'll give it this, its one of the best looking in the line.

Sadly, it can't raise his arms 90 degrees forward. At best it's about 20 degrees, and the rest of the forward articulation is provided by the elbows. The SWTF line has real issues with useful shoulder articulation it seems, unfortunately. Despite that, it is one of the better molds, and is one of the best looking in both modes. The way the hyperspace ring clips on in bot mode is pretty clever even if it's a huge weighted backpack. The mold provides a clip for one of the rings to act like a third leg, but because the regular legs are so long, it really hampers useful leg poses. Still neat nonetheless. It'll definitely look far better in Obi-wan A-wing style colors.

You gave me an excuse to dig this out and play with my digital camera so you can see for yourself as well as witness one of *the* ugliest robot heads ever invented.

post-4708-1200961446_thumb.jpg

post-4708-1200961452_thumb.jpg

post-4708-1200961461_thumb.jpg

post-4708-1200961468_thumb.jpg

post-4708-1200961475_thumb.jpg

post-4708-1200961482_thumb.jpg