The PlayStation 3 Thread 80GB Edition

Gaijin

I wonder when that $400 80gig with the Dualshock 3 is coming out..

I just paid $400 for my 60gig that came with a stupid Sixaxxis controller (no rumble) and the silver painted disk slot face (not the pretty chrome one).

what I really wanted was the MGS4 console but thats going for like $700 on ebay :blink:

You should've posted that you were looking for the MGS4 one, I just saw 6 at Best Buy last week when I went to get a camera bag. It's not a limited as people thought. My regular Gamestop had two in on Saturday (sold one). It wasn't selling at the ghetto gamestops, so some were rerouted.

Supposedly, there is an update coming soon that is going to disable the emotion chip in the 60 gig version and backwards compatibility will be done completely with software and those with the 40gb can buy backwards compatibility.

not a big issue with me since i still have a PS1 and PS2, though the only thing I use the PS1 for is IQ and IQ Final. I haven't touched the PS2 in forever.

You should've posted that you were looking for the MGS4 one, I just saw 6 at Best Buy last week when I went to get a camera bag. It's not a limited as people thought. My regular Gamestop had two in on Saturday (sold one). It wasn't selling at the ghetto gamestops, so some were rerouted.

Supposedly, there is an update coming soon that is going to disable the emotion chip in the 60 gig version and backwards compatibility will be done completely with software and those with the 40gb can buy backwards compatibility.

not a big issue with me since i still have a PS1 and PS2, though the only thing I use the PS1 for is IQ and IQ Final. I haven't touched the PS2 in forever.

Why would they disable higher compatability hardware, for lower compatability software? I'd believe downloadable for the low end models, but that's no reason to gimp the higher end models. Now downloadable import compatability is something i'd pay for.

no I'm looking for the actual gunmetal PS3... are those the ones you saw for sale?

you can actually buy them on Konami's website so I may ebay my console and get one of those.

I was looking through the new buyable movies option on the PS store under the category of anime and lo and behold guess what I saw........ give up? It was

Robotech The Shadow Chronicals

. That had me laughin for awhile until I saw it was around 8 bucks to buy.

oh, didn't know you were looking for the gunmetal, thought you were looking for the bundle pack.

I heard it from my usual Gamestop manager. So far, everything he's told me in the last two years has come true. He supposedly gets his info from whatever conventions/meetings he goes to. I think he said the reasoning was it was easier to do updated compatibility with software since the Emotion Engine isn't 100% either and they can sell it to the 40 gb people for $100.

I just picked up the MGS bundle (yes, my 3rd PS3, I'm keeping this one) over a used 60gb one they had in stock because it was a better value for me. $499 + tax for the MGS4/PS3 Bundle with Dual Shock 3.

$369 for used 60gb PS3 with suckaxis controller, $51 MGS4, $46 for Dual Shock 3 controller, $466 + tax. It's a little bit of a savings, but I don't need it to play PS1/PS2 games, so I opted for the newer system.

I heard it from my usual Gamestop manager. So far, everything he's told me in the last two years has come true. He supposedly gets his info from whatever conventions/meetings he goes to. I think he said the reasoning was it was easier to do updated compatibility with software since the Emotion Engine isn't 100% either and they can sell it to the 40 gb people for $100.

Still doesn't make sense, at least for that reason. It's not like the 60/20GB hardware compatible versions are missing much BC that they need to have it added at all.

A better (though still stupid) reason would be that they don't want to track different forms of the software for their testing environment (still doesn't really gel, though). I'll make sure I buy another one if they ever do that and take my 60/160 off the net, though. I wish the gunmetal one was an 80 (if not a 60) or I might have gotten that one.

That said, the PS2 BC was more of an initial concern than one that pertains today. I was still playing PS2 games last year but haven't touched one all year. It's still better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, though. The SACD support is much more important to me, these days, being a nascent fan into the format.

So these down-loadable movies from my PS3, are they complete movies with all the extras I'd get from a regular dvd?

If I down load one HD films and then buy an HD disc of the same movie will it be the same quality?

If Sony neuters my EE I'm going to be pissed. I paid money for that feature I better be able to use it. If they're worried about BC and prefer software, push the software emu down to all 60Gb PS3's and write a quick code that basically says, "if game x is detected bypass EE and run software emulation".

Still doesn't make sense, at least for that reason. It's not like the 60/20GB hardware compatible versions are missing much BC that they need to have it added at all.

A better (though still stupid) reason would be that they don't want to track different forms of the software for their testing environment (still doesn't really gel, though). I'll make sure I buy another one if they ever do that and take my 60/160 off the net, though. I wish the gunmetal one was an 80 (if not a 60) or I might have gotten that one.

That said, the PS2 BC was more of an initial concern than one that pertains today. I was still playing PS2 games last year but haven't touched one all year. It's still better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, though. The SACD support is much more important to me, these days, being a nascent fan into the format.

Uh... you want to buy another PS3, so you can have a second PS3 that can play PS2 games... wouldn't a two-console solution be a bit cheaper if you just used a PS2 for your PS2 games? Just throwing it out there.

Uh... you want to buy another PS3, so you can have a second PS3 that can play PS2 games... wouldn't a two-console solution be a bit cheaper if you just used a PS2 for your PS2 games? Just throwing it out there.

Primary purpose would be high def for the bedroom without needing to also have a PS2 plugged in. Mostly I want a silver one for the front where all my stuff is silver (even the faceplate on my 360, my AVR, my DVD player, TV stand, etc). The front I most definitely to have PS2 and SACD capability as I desire to move the black PS3 to either my bedroom or my dedicated front-projector theater I'm planning.

Primary purpose would be high def for the bedroom without needing to also have a PS2 plugged in. Mostly I want a silver one for the front where all my stuff is silver (even the faceplate on my 360, my AVR, my DVD player, TV stand, etc). The front I most definitely to have PS2 and SACD capability as I desire to move the black PS3 to either my bedroom or my dedicated front-projector theater I'm planning.

Okay, I get ya...

...man, I wish I could afford a second HD setup in my bedroom. Or a dedicated theater.

...or a house.

So these down-loadable movies from my PS3, are they complete movies with all the extras I'd get from a regular dvd?

If I down load one HD films and then buy an HD disc of the same movie will it be the same quality?

Don't quote me on this, but I don't think you'd get the extras...just the movie. Also, I highly doubt the encodes aren't compressed...and are probably lossy and not lossless...so I doubt the quality will be the same as on a Blu-Ray disc. Again...I wouldn't quote me on any of that.

My two cents.

Don't quote me on this, but I don't think you'd get the extras...just the movie. Also, I highly doubt the encodes aren't compressed...and are probably lossy and not lossless...so I doubt the quality will be the same as on a Blu-Ray disc. Again...I wouldn't quote me on any of that.

My two cents.

Yup, just the film. No digital download would be as good as a physical disc unless you include everything the disc had...which would negate the whole impulse and easy to get factor if you had to download 15-50GB.

HD downloads look ok, sorta like HD Cable PPV. But not as good as a High def disc.

I downloaded a couple "high-def" movies from the Xbox360 Live market and they didn't even have 5.1 surround sound!

last time I ever did that.

on a side note AKIRA in hgih-def was free all last month from OnDemand! I've never seen it in high-def and in 5.1 so as soon as I saw it in the OnDemand menu under the free HD movies I pretty much dropped everything I was doing and watched it :)

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing my ps3 lately then noticed a very loud fan noise coming from it, does anyone else get this problem. I have a 60gb ps3, UK/european model. I don't really play it all that often as some of u may know, so i don't expect any of the components to be worn out. So far i've noticed three stages in fan noise:-

Stage 1 is whisper quiet

Stage 2 is a little bit louder, which dosen't bother me

Stage 3 is very loud, as loud as a hair dryer on max, louder than my PC fans, louder than the actual game....... you get the picture

It never use to reach stage 3, but now after 10-15 minutes it comes on. I'm just not sure whats causing it, i contacted sony and they say its not a problem. :(

Only thing i can think of is the latest firmware that was installed might be causing it, before the update, the ps3 sounded fine :blink:

Edited by kung flu

I'd look for dust bunnies clogging the air intake at the front of the machine. I've notices that aggressive games make the fan go like crazy. And Blu-rays as well.

I always try to keep my ps3 dust free, but because of the lack of games i don't play it much so dust gathers. But i do clean it when i decide to play it, if the dust is inside, how do i go about cleaning it? Once my ps3 reaches stage 3 its unplayable due to the noise i can't hear a thing in movies or games.

I have a 40 gig PS3, never had my fans go past stage 1... I watch blu-rays all the time, i also use it as my DVD player (upscaling) and I play MGS4.. no problems. My PS3 sits on top of my cable box (which is usually left on) and they're both inside a little cubby in my TV stand.

Have you tried using canned air and just forcing air through the front vents? There's a way to force the PS3 to turn the fans on full blast but I think sony came out and said not to do that.

I have a 40 gig PS3, never had my fans go past stage 1... I watch blu-rays all the time, i also use it as my DVD player (upscaling) and I play MGS4.. no problems. My PS3 sits on top of my cable box (which is usually left on) and they're both inside a little cubby in my TV stand.

Have you tried using canned air and just forcing air through the front vents? There's a way to force the PS3 to turn the fans on full blast but I think sony came out and said not to do that.

Your ps3 is a later model and since its the 40gb version it has some features removed that are in the old 60gb model, thats probably why you've not experienced this. I think only the 40gb model has the "fans on full blast" option, but sadly the old model dosen't :(

Well... that makes sense.

I would try using the canned air. You can force the air to exit out the exhausts by taping the other inlets closed and rigging the nozel on the canned air to blow through the smallest opening possible, this should give you some pretty good pressure to blow out any dust bunnies that may have accumulated on the heat sinks.

BTW, did your unit do this when you first bought it, or just recently?

BTW, did your unit do this when you first bought it, or just recently?

Just recently, i suspect the new firmware update might have something to do with it.

I gave SC IV a shot...it's not bad at all, though story mode is quite lame and short. Custom character is awesome. Plays like 2 but a lil slower. I like it but SFIV is in the wings, and VF5 still rules out as my fave 3D fighter.

Tried a few online matches...lag isn't noticeable for most people I think, unless you are trying o break out of throws or playing at a higher level where the lag will render you unable to do what you wanted. Fine for 75% of the players out there though.

The only fighting game im waiting for this year is street fighter IV... old skool gaming at its finest...

Ya its looks good.

But even Soul Calibur could be considered old school by some lol. The first in the series, Soul Edge/Blade, came out in 1996..12 years ago lol :blink::wacko: My nephew is 12 ack..

• 2 weeks later...