1/60 YF-21 - Will you be picking up the 1st release version?

TheLoneWolf

What's your choice?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. So Yamato's announced the 1/60 YF-21. As we've all seen, the 1st release of most Yamato toys have had problems ranging from nitpicky (nosecone falling off the 1/48 VF-1) to dealbreakers (cracked biceps on the 1/60 VF-0S). So the question is: are you going to risk buying a potentially faulty 1/60 YF-21, or are you going to wait for the inevitable 2nd or 3rd release that will incorporate fixes and FAST Packs.

• Buy the 1st release - I can't wait any longer, I'll deal with crooked landing gears and exploding arms.
    • Wait for the 2nd / 3rd release - I'll wait for Yamato to work out the defects and throw in FAST Packs.
    • N/A - Screw Yamato! Where's my Toynami YF-21 Masterpiece?!

I've still got a first run Focker 1/48, no complaints. The improvements in the subsequent versions seem minor to me. Still, with the FAST pack bundles and whatnot, I'll hold off for the next batch. I mean, I'm going to get the FAST packs anyways, might as well get them with the design improvements that generally come with a 2nd run Yamato toy. I've not once received a Yamato toy with truly bad issues, and I intend to keep it that way if at all possible.

After some thought, I decided that I'll wait for the 2nd release. It worked for the YF-19 and I'm very happy that I waited for the 2nd release with that one.

Having said that, it'll probably take Yamato about a year to release a 2nd version and if the reviews on the 1st release are positive I might cave in and grab one anyway. I could care less about the FP which look fugly IMO.

Nuff said.

Though I wish there was a way to lock polls to votes only.

play the 1st release first , hope they don't have much problem. and it 2nd release released and wait for review. If the problem fixed try to switch to 2nd release by selling or keep the old one :unsure:

Tough choice. I want to wait for the 2nd Release, because we all know if there's some serious QC issues they won't surface until nearly everyone on the boards has them, but i've been lucky with most of my 1st release Yamatos too (knocks on wood), so i'll most likely end up taking the plunge with a 1st release. :ph34r:

I'm more of a modeler than a toy collector, so it doesn't bother me if there are things I might need to "fix" with the first release. So far I've only had luck with my purchases from yamato (as far as breakage goes) And I fixed all the minor issues with my other valks already. So first release for me.

2nd release for me.

even if the reviews are positive for the 1st releases, it doesn't mean it won't get worse a couple of weeks later.

afterall, there were positive reviews for the very first 1/48. ;)

Graham's reviews are always optimistic. When he first reviewed the 1/60 YF-19 I knew I had to wait for the MWers reports to have a wider view of the toy. It's not his fault, the man has too much good will towards Macross toys in general. You have to hear the trolls as well.

This one is a tough call for me. I'm a YF-21 guy, and Yamato already did this toy twice before, besides it's not as complex as the SV-51 so I have good reasons to think they will get it right this time, but it's still wiser to be patient.

Edit: As for FP, since Yamato added the boosters and even a display stand on the 1st release SV-51, I think maybe they decided to add all those minor accesories on all their future releases?

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

I'll still get the first release if it comes with FP

Ditto,

It has to either come with the fast packs, or at least the packs need to be sold at very near the same time.

But if they release the toy the same way they did the 19, no first edition unless it looks just that damn good.

So again we wait till we see some proto shots. . .

I'll probably wait for second or third release, unless there are multiple good reviews for it and no one has any VF-0-ish problems. :p The version I get must come with two gunpods. No gunpods, I won't get it. :p So even if the reviews are good for 1st release, if there's no gunpods, I'll wait even if I have to get it with FPs which I don't care for anyway.

Of course, either way I'll be drooling and having my eyes burning from not blinking while staring at pics of the YF-21... :lol:

I'll probably wait for second or third release, unless there are multiple good reviews for it and no one has any VF-0-ish problems. :p The version I get must come with two gunpods. No gunpods, I won't get it. :p So even if the reviews are good for 1st release, if there's no gunpods, I'll wait even if I have to get it with FPs which I don't care for anyway.

Of course, either way I'll be drooling and having my eyes burning from not blinking while staring at pics of the YF-21... :lol:

thats a really good point. i forgot about the GP's being part of the FP's.

i don't know dudes but i have a feeling that they'll release this with the FPs only.

2nd run for me. Aint got no cash to spare for the 1st release when it comes out...

just out of curiousity, who the h3ll voted for Toynami's YF-21 (if they ever managed to produce one)? I bet he's more of a box collector than the toy iteself...but el-cheapo fully transformable 1/100 Mac Plus toys migh be interesting...

I could care less about the FP which look fugly IMO.

I totally agree. Worst FPs ever IMO.

First release for me if the reviews are good and if the pictures impress me as much as the 19 and 51.

Second release if there are any QC issues like crooked gunpods and landing gear.

And I'll skip it all together if the undercarriage looks like the 1/72 arms and legs sandwhich. It's gotta be flat, and the limbs have to be hidden in fighter mode. A tall order, I know, especially since the legs need to be long to make B mode look good.

I can't wait for more pictures. It's easy to make the top of fighter mode look. Even the 1/72 looked decent from that angle. The trick is the undercarriage and the other two modes.

just out of curiousity, who the h3ll voted for Toynami's YF-21 (if they ever managed to produce one)?

AH FRAK!! I thought it said Toynami BETA!! :lol::p

Seriously though, I'll probably be a test dummy for this first release. I haven't gotten any of the Zero birds, so I figure it's my turn to be a first release tester. Aside from the Tread/Beta, the YF-21 is the one release I've been itching for the most.

If it comes with FP's, great. If not, well, I can use the time-lag between the first release and the FP release to finalize and firm up some custom scheme ideas I got brewing.

Besides, I gotta show some love for the bastard love-child of the Q-Rau and the Valk'!

This sort of thing really pisses me off you know.

All you guys have seen is one low-res, low-detail CAD picture for a single day and already you are making polls about whether or not you will buy it based on bad QC. Friggin unbelievable!!!!

For fu#@s sake, how can you make a decision based on the extremely limited information you have so far?

Graham

All you guys have seen is one low-res, low-detail CAD picture for a single day and already you are making polls about whether or not you will buy it based on bad QC. Friggin unbelievable!!!!

For fu#@s sake, how can you make a decision based on the extremely limited information you have so far?

Graham

Well, looking at the options listed, the poll seems to be equal parts jest and experience. Besides, can you honestly blame us? a lot of us got burned by the VF-0 and while the YF-19 was more or less problem free, you have to admit, stuff like the crooked gunpod and the rear landing gear not deploying correctly were just silly mistakes that should not have happened.

Be cool boss, it's just watercooler talk and random fan speculation. B))

Only you now the full story, the real dirt.

You know like I know as soon as people see solid proto pics and hear more info they will flock to it like flys to sh!t. . . ;)

And until it hits the streets 'ya just gotta expect the dissing and gallons of hater-aid getting passed around. :rolleyes:

I'm gonna buy one I just hope it comes with the fast packs upfront, Yamato stands to make alot of green either way.

But I hope they will cut us the collectors a little slack.

Graham

Just being precautious is all.

After all these aren't $20 Toynami's we're putting our hard earned cash into.