Pirates: At World's End

Soooooo..... I watched it last night and i will have to say with all the trilogy ending movies that have come out thus far Pirates is the best. It was fun, action pack, had tons going on, and as usual the haters will talk about how it sucked or they didn't get it, and the morons will scream for another one to be made. All in all i love the whole pirates trilogy and it will go down as one of the best. Go watch it, it is an awesome popcorn movie, and except for Hot Fuzz, it has been the most fun i have had in the theater. (but then again i missed grindhouse cause i was deployed) Now MWers, discuss and argue over pirates 3, aannnnddd go........

Edited by kanedaestes

I LOVED the first one and really liked the second one, but my friends and I hit the 8 oclock opening screening last night, and while alot of people in the theatre were chearing and such at the end, but my friends and I fekt rather underwhekmed.... I'm rarely a movie hater or anything, but I just felt like alot of the movie was just sorta stupid... don't get me wrong, it LOOKED amazing and had some decent action (esp, in the end) but I felt it was missing alot of what made the other two so charming.  I felt that this one took itself a bit too seriously in many parts and... (spoiler)

Chow Yun Fat's character was waaay under-utilized and died much too early. I wanted to see him laed ninja-pirates and spread some EITCo goons all over the walls... and Jack Sparrow just seemed kinda crappy and annoying... the movie seemed more about Barbosa and Davey Jones, and Jack's halucination scenes were just annoying... and Calypso was basically unnecessary and anti-climactic.

SPOILER FULL.......i mean this is a movie thread after all.....

Just came back from it. Its pretty crappy IMHO. The 1s one was best of the triology. The 3rd was just meh. Wasn't there gonna be 5 movies?

Anyway comments on the movie:

Jokes were unfunny. Calypso arc was....wtf? What's the point? Liz became pirate king, declared war on the East India Company....what for? The final battle was just between the Flying Dutchman and the Black Pearl. Sure it was pretty cool battle, but it could've been more epic than it is. In the end after the triple decker flag ship (which for some stupid reason was right in front of the battle lines) sank, everyone turn tailed and ran, probably cuz they think they cannot fight the Flying Dutchman since it turned sides. That whole thing was disappointing.

Cool thing on how they "killed off" will turner though. I already knew they meant to kill him off, but didn't expected him to go that way.

Overall i feel this is the weakest of the 3 movies.

Edited by wolfx

Definitly the weakest of the 3 movies. Normally I am not one to complain about an excess of plot, but this movie is definitly overploted (way to many threads with very unsatisfying tieups), and way to light on the action.

Okay we all know the first one is the best, and why is that? Because they never planned a trilogy. You always make a movie to be as good as it can be, and once it is successful then you make your sequels, which most of the time aren't up to par. Anyway i went into this film the same way i went into dead man's chest, just expecting a ride of a film. I didn't want to think i just wanted to be entertained and to me i think this movie did just that. As a film maker i know the difference between a good movie and a crap movie, but i also know how to enjoy a summer popcorn flick for what it is. I don't know maybe i just feel like a black sheep for actually enjoying the movie is all.

............... :angry:

It was mentioned in various news sites after Dead Man's Chest that they were gonna ax all the "star" characters except Jack Sparrow in the 3rd movie. So i didn't thought it was actually a spoiler. Anyway i put the warning as requested.

besides, its always dangerous to enter a thread about a movie u havent seen but plan too.

i liked it WAY better than 2, which I thought was silly. while this was over the top, its true, i didnt fel lik goign and having a nap at any point. They packed a lot in there and i thought all the actors did great. A lot of hate comes towards Orlando and keira, but i like botht their characters 9Especially elizabeth) much better than i like Jack.

First is still the best by far, but this was a solid third part, and makes the 2nd part nothing but a VERY long setup...

besides, its always dangerous to enter a thread about a movie u havent seen but plan too.

i liked it WAY better than 2, which I thought was silly. while this was over the top, its true, i didnt fel lik goign and having a nap at any point. They packed a lot in there and i thought all the actors did great. A lot of hate comes towards Orlando and keira, but i like botht their characters 9Especially elizabeth) much better than i like Jack.

First is still the best by far, but this was a solid third part, and makes the 2nd part nothing but a VERY long setup...

It might be, but considering that everyone else had refrained from posting spoilers OR covering them up, I thought I was safe.

To be honest I hadn't read anything about the movie. I'm not terribly upset about the spoiler - just mildly annoyed. I honestly had no clue that that particular character got axed.

It's a movie about friggin' Pirates! Arrr!!! Don't know why you people are expecting an epic or overanalyzing it. It's got boats. It's got swordplay. It's got the attack of the 50ft woman. It's got A-list actors. It's a good fun swashbuckling summer blockbuster movie.

Sit back and enjoy the ride. If nothing else go watch it for the TF or FF trailer.

It's a movie about friggin' Pirates! Arrr!!! Don't know why you people are expecting an epic or overanalyzing it. It's got boats. It's got swordplay. It's got the attack of the 50ft woman. It's got A-list actors. It's a good fun swashbuckling summer blockbuster movie.

Sit back and enjoy the ride. If nothing else go watch it for the TF or FF trailer.

Not looking for anything deep, my main problem was the 1st two hours of the 3rd one put me to sleep. All I went looking for was some action, wild antics, and that was all condensed into the last 45 minutes while I suffered through a rather joyless first two hours.

Edited by GobotFool

Not looking for anything deep, my main problem was the 1st two hours of the 3rd one put me to sleep. All I went looking for was some action, wild antics, and that was all condensed into the last 45 minutes while I suffered through a rather joyless first two hours.

I concur.

it was less action and swashbuckly....if that makes any sense.

HI all,

I loved this movie! More so than the 2nd, but liked the 1st the best.... All the plotlines and subplots as you have said were excellent, I wish spidey 3 was as good at telling it's story..... As some have mentioned already there are twists and turns, all in all, the best "ride" of the summer...... C'mon Transformers won't be as big as everyone wishes it to be, even though i'll be there for it!

***Possible spoilers ahead*****

Personally I don't think we've seen the last of these characters, if the idea that there were to be 5 flicks to be made than this is certainly true....By the way, to whomever wrote that, what was your source? I don't think that Will Turner's character got axed at all!!!!!! Since when would ANY flim maker kill off the love story.... ESP. Disney folks! As for Orlando and Keira there WILL be another film, this I would lay down money, knowing the bookie was a sucker, just because of the love story....... As far as Clypso is concerned THAT right there should be another reason for another movie going experience... I mean they unleash an "upset" goddess and have nothing really to show for it.... Yeah, it's great to see that the Dutchman has found it's self again, but THAT was a deal made with Calypso and Davy Jones.... Are we onto something or am I missing something having be entranced by the movie and wanting to see more.....lol...... For those that have seen the movie we still have yet to see why Sparrow wants this immortality thing soooo bad, nonetheless Barbosa..... Has anyone EVER seen soooo many main points in a movie that are left unexplored here..... Haha, anyone wanna place bets, I have paypal.......

HI all,

I almost forgot, I dunno if this is true, but if you haven't seen the movie, stay tuned till the credits are done rolling..... Like X3 I heard there is something to be seen.....

It is in fact true... my group and I were not aware so we didn't stay, but I have since heard what w missed...

I agree with the above guys, it waslly just wasn't swashbuckley and antic-filled enough like the other two movies...

I thought the third movie was great. I was dismayed, though, by the audience I saw it with. They laughed loud enough that you couldn't hear anything else during the slapstick, but there were several very witty and well written pieces of dialogue in there that only myself, my wife, and the friend we brought with us laughed at.

I also rather enjoyed the storytelling and writing overall. There were some awkward bits that seemed contrived and forced, but nothing too terribly jarring given context. The ending was not typical Hollywood fare, and I very much appreciated that.

They introduced a lot in this movie, but thankfully they did not try to explore it all. There simply was not time to get through all of the necessary storytelling, character development, and conflict resolution that they needed to get in there and flesh out everything else. All of the new things introduced where delightfully underplayed and subtle enough to provide room for future expansion (the only reason they wouldn't make more movies is if Disney hates money, and we know that's not true) without bogging down the movie at hand.

I realize I'm in the minority here, but I thought they did the best they could with Calypso as well. The way the story played out, there was no way she was taking a side, and letting her tromp all over the British would have been far too deus ex machina anyway. As it was, she put her two enemies seperate from outside interference and let them duke it out.

I also am coming to realize that I'm in the minority of those who like their movies with a healthy dose of plot. There was not a moment in the third movie that I felt was dragging on, which is more than I can say for the second movie. Not only did all of the dialogue-heavy/action-light sequences move the story along, quite well in my opinion, but they also really helped to establish the larger world.

Unfortunately, I also left the theatre before the credits had finished rolling. It's not something I'm happy about, and it's something I try to avoid when going out to see a movie...unless the movie was not very good. This time, however, the movie turned out to be longer than we had expected, and my wife and I both had to drop off our friend and run to work as quickly as possible. As it was, we left when the credits first began rolling, and made it to work just in time. Such are the problems working third shift weekends.

Heh, I also loved the delirium scenes. Very 80's, and very Gilliam-esque. In fact, there were a lot of shots in that movie which made me think of 70's and 80's movies, and even further back. The kind of shots you just don't see in films these days. At least not often.

Heh, I also loved the delirium scenes. Very 80's, and very Gilliam-esque. In fact, there were a lot of shots in that movie which made me think of 70's and 80's movies, and even further back. The kind of shots you just don't see in films these days. At least not often.

Do those scenes suggest that Jack is actually suffering from schizophrenia? (sp?)

I missed that end. The theatre i was at turned on the lights when the credits came up so i assumed there was nothing.

Anyone care to tell?

The scene after the credits is this:

(highlight below to see it)

It shows Elizabeth (Swann) Turner walking to the shore with her now 10yr old son. At sunset the green flash happens and the Dutchman appears with Will at the bow coming in for his one day on land.