macross and robotech

RichyX

I find any Macross "installment" far more preferable than that dumbed-down bastardization known as Robo(suck)tech.

Despite my discriminating tastes, I didn't find M7 to be that bad. I rather enjoyed it, in fact. It was something different. Sure, there were some things I wish were done differently. But the off-the-wall stuff was tolerable (for me) when watching it for the overall story.

However, I wouldn't want it to become a recurring theme. It's time to move on and explore new avenues.

I'm not going to rag on Robotech. If not for Robotech most of us might never have seen Macross. I'm sort of coming around on Macross 7 but I wouldn't say it's a better or more imaginative continuation than Master & New Generation.

I can't defend HG's embargo of Macross product from Japan but too many people have enjoyed Robotech for me to tell them it sucks.

Im the same with robotech. Its not half as good as macross, but its also not the monstrosity that many make it out to be. if nothign else they had some good voice actors (Some bad ones too, but the good ones were very good).

i also dig M0 and M7. i dont find either that much more of a logic leap than the original series, which had its own level of disbelief involved.

Im the same with robotech. Its not half as good as macross, but its also not the monstrosity that many make it out to be. ...

I have the whole roblowtech series (DL of course), and before you say that, listen to Reba West sing.

Yes I have it, hadn't seen it since 1994/5, and I gave it another chance to make sure I wasn't unduly influenced, and if anything I liked it lot less than before.

So yes, it IS the monstrocity that people make it out to be, and if you don't believe me, I will make an mp3 of Reba's singing and you can listen to THAT!

I have the whole roblowtech series (DL of course), and before you say that, listen to Reba West sing...Yes I have it, hadn't seen it since 1994/5, and I gave it another chance to make sure I wasn't unduly influenced, and if anything I liked it lot less than before...So yes, it IS the monstrocity that people make it out to be, and if you don't believe me, I will make an mp3 of Reba's singing and you can listen to THAT!

...Anything other than the singing, gents?

I too have found the orignal SDFM to be miles better and more mature, but I kind of agree w/ DD & Scream Man: Robotech opened me up to anime; the storyline, such as it was, engaged my whole family; I had a great deal of RPG fun at it's expense. Now that I'm older, I prefer the original and decry what HG has done with the licensing. I also think it has gone to many interesting places on the official timeline. But I'll admit that I prefer the voice of Lisa Hayes to that of Misa Hayase. It just seemed more appropriate for a strong, defiant woman with daddy & abandonment issuses. Is it a coincedence that I married a strong, defiant woman with daddy & abandonment issues named Lisa? If not, then I do owe that to Robotech as well. (In a positive way :p )

Edited by Kelsain

You've been on this board for three and a half years, and you weren't aware of that? :huh:

See also: Sarcasm detector?

Which one is super-cheesy? Robotech or Macross? I can't see calling one lamer than the other. That Macross music is so corny it hurts.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaac-rooooooooooosssssss!

Kaneda "King Gorilla" Estes has come to throw his two cents upon the macross masses. I will have to say that i too enjoy the robotech music over the macross one. Now it could be because any and every time i hear it, it takes me immediately back to my childhood and watching the series as robotech on AFN at an army base in germany. I do like the macross music, but the robotech soundtrack has deeper roots embedded into me. Sorry guys.

gotta agree on the intro music being better in robocop..er.. tech than macross.

that like, lounge song sung by a guy with an artifical sounding deep voice.. just corny.

Minmays music is better in macross than it is in robotech though.

...to be in looOOAAAOOooove....

robotech has it's few achievments, i liked some of the voice actors and some of the music.. but as a story, it sucks, then blows, then falls apart.

I agree with kanedaestes about the music. Storywise, Macross is better as it is the original stuff, but since Robotech is an important part of my childhood, in some perverse way, I'll always love it.

Isn't it , "Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaac-uuuu-rooooooooooosssssss!"? :p

x 3 - ohhhh gawd...get it out of my head.......out....of....my....head. :lol:

I'm actually watching macross again currently - too bad Don Ho didn't sing the intro......... " Tiny Bubbles...Maaaccc-ewwwwwwww-ross" :D

I do however like Ulpio Minuccis' score in Robotech a little better though.

You guys have probably seen this already but it seems fitting for the direction this thread is heading in.

This theme music kicks the crap out of both Robotech and Macross.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=L130VcwKG7M&amp...ted&search=

edit: Another

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PT-M1ClUDCs&amp...ted&search=

Edited by Vic Mancini

:D HAHA!! you guys are cracking me up, hahaha :lol::lol::lol:

anyway, I like the Robotech intro music, it's very nostalgic for me also as many have already mentioned, also the Robotech BMG is very fun but deep when the moment arise, althought it's still overacted

I do preffer the original SDFM for all that it is over Robotech, but the tone is a much serious one; now I love it but I'm sure as a kid if I had watch the original SDFM I would have gotten a bit bored back then...

but I do hate the Reba West music... yuck! puke! gross!

You guys have probably seen this already but it seems fitting for the direction this thread is heading in.

This theme music kicks the crap out of both Robotech and Macross.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=L130VcwKG7M&amp...ted&search=

edit: Another

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PT-M1ClUDCs&amp...ted&search=

It's all a matter of taste. I am no fan of the new Battlestar Galactica. The music is understated and mind-numbing. The themesong has nothing of the beauty of the original and the theme and all the battle music sounds more like somebody is in a Dragonboat race (or running from a tiger in the jungle in an episode of Tarzan) than a space epic.

New Battlestar Music = BLEECH: Insipid, underwhelming, and utterly disappointing...so much so that I cannot stand to hear. In fact, it pretty much ruins the New Battlestar for me.

I also find that the original Macross (aside from a few solid themes) is typical of anime music especially of the period for low-budget TV shows. Uninteresting and uninspired generic orchestrated music that puts you to sleep...although it is lightyears ahead of the mind-numbing stuff in Gundam Z/ZZ that strips that series of any and all vitality and emotion. I'm a person who needs dynamic melodies and a lot of variety in instrumentation and sound. I am the type that feels the Blade Runner soundtrack was one of the best ever composed, but synth is only one direction you can take. Having no melody whatsoever, or having no inspiring themes, no frightening overtures, no leitmotiv entirely is thoroughly depressing.

Edited by ComicKaze

It's all a matter of taste. I am no fan of the new Battlestar Galactica. The music is understated and mind-numbing. The themesong has nothing of the beauty of the original and the theme and all the battle music sounds more like somebody is in a Dragonboat race (or running from a tiger in the jungle in an episode of Tarzan) than a space epic.

New Battlestar Music = BLEECH: Insipid, underwhelming, and utterly disappointing...so much so that I cannot stand to hear. In fact, it pretty much ruins the New Battlestar for me.

I also find that the original Macross (aside from a few solid themes) is typical of anime music especially of the period for low-budget TV shows. Uninteresting and uninspired generic orchestrated music that puts you to sleep...although it is lightyears ahead of the mind-numbing stuff in Gundam Z/ZZ that strips that series of any and all vitality and emotion. I'm a person who needs dynamic melodies and a lot of variety in instrumentation and sound. I am the type that feels the Blade Runner soundtrack was one of the best ever composed, but synth is only one direction you can take. Having no melody whatsoever, or having no inspiring themes, no frightening overtures, no leitmotiv entirely is thoroughly depressing.

Wow, I'm shocked by this.

Although taste is personal and you're entitled to not like it, I think using words like "insipid", "mind-numbing", and saying there are no themes/motifs, or that there is a lack of varied instrumentation, is unfair. It's a quality soundtrack that has earned a lot of critical praise, and is more appropriate to the material in many ways than the original music.

I'd almost suggest downloading the soundtrack, [especially season 2], and listening to it away from a BSG context, just so you're listening to it objectively and not comparing it to the old music. But it sounds like your mind is more than made up, which is why I say almost.

On a side note, it's interesting, and kind of confusing to me, that you mention Blade Runner as one of your fav soundtracks especially considering your criticisms of the new BSG music. Blade Runner a great soundtrack and I listen to it often, but I consider it a lot more ambient than melodic. It's actually one of the least melodic/thematic soundtracks I can think of, and a lot less thematic than the new BSG music, IMO.

I originally posted this question on RT.com, and the thread got mixed results. So I thought I'd ask it here:

If Minmei (played by Reba West) were to cover some of your favorite songs, what would they be?

Now if you said Mari Ijima then I'd have an answer for you... ;)