The All Things Video Games Thread!

I enjoy Yhatzee's sense of humor, but I don't think he likes ANY game out there lol
It is kinda caustic, isn't it?

Okay, now for a somewhat serious question. I do have the original full version of "Fate" installed on my machine, and recently installed "The Traitor's Soul". Do I need to go buy Undiscovered Realms (I don't have that version of the game) or did Traitor's Soul update the original game?

I enjoy Yhatzee's sense of humor, but I don't think he likes ANY game out there lol

Well, he does mention from time to time that loves Prince of Pesia: the Sands of Time.

Oh, and check out his Fallout 3 review.

Not sure how true this is but..about Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom Ultimate All-Stars

One of the main anime we got more requests for than any others was Samurai Pizza Cats," he said. "There were a lot of people who wanted to see that. I wanted to see that, but we couldn't reach an agreement."

Another set of characters shot down by Tatsunoko were the transforming-motorcycle riders of Genesis Climber MOSPEADA.

"They told us what we could and couldn't use," he said. "If they said no we cut them.

http://kotaku.com/5454192/the-lost-charact...ne=true&s=i

I have a question on the Borderlands front. We have the PS3 version; how much space does the new expansion pack (the Underdorme) takes up (we have a 60GB PS3 and worried about space, since we have now 15GB free)?

Edited by Wanzerfan

The PSN Store should tell you how big the download is. Should be around 500MB though.
I already checked there, and the store didn't give any size info, that's why I asked here.

Thanks for the estimate.

Edited by Wanzerfan

The handheld titles never really pegged me as "Main" Sonic games...

I guess. If the "main" series was the Genesis games, than this would be the first since Sonic and Knuckles. The handheld titles, aside from the menagerie of other playable characters, had the same gameplay though.

I guess. If the "main" series was the Genesis games, than this would be the first since Sonic and Knuckles. The handheld titles, aside from the menagerie of other playable characters, had the same gameplay though.

With the glut of what Sonic has become on consoles; Unleashed, the 360/PS3 "Sonic the Hedgehog", and the horrid Wii storybook ones, this is welcome. I didn't mind the two Adventure titles for Dreamcast, but after that, all the console Sonic titles began to get worse and worse. Unleashed is the worst offender; inbetween nice normal "Sonic" levels are stupid god of war kiddie wherehog levels.

And yeah, even though Rush may play like old Sonic(I don't own a DS) , I still want a proper Sonic on a next gen home system. I doubt I'm the only one that feels this way.

With the glut of what Sonic has become on consoles; Unleashed, the 360/PS3 "Sonic the Hedgehog", and the horrid Wii storybook ones, this is welcome. I didn't mind the two Adventure titles for Dreamcast, but after that, all the console Sonic titles began to get worse and worse. Unleashed is the worst offender; inbetween nice normal "Sonic" levels are stupid god of war kiddie wherehog levels.

And yeah, even though Rush may play like old Sonic(I don't own a DS) , I still want a proper Sonic on a next gen home system. I doubt I'm the only one that feels this way.

It's not that I don't want a proper Sonic on a console. To me, the series split on the Dreamcast. I really liked Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2, but things started seriously going downhill with Sonic Heroes. So in my mind, the Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush games were the spiritual sequels to the Genesis games, and the console games have been a (poor) continuation of Sonic Adventure.

It's not that I don't want a proper Sonic on a console. To me, the series split on the Dreamcast. I really liked Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2, but things started seriously going downhill with Sonic Heroes. So in my mind, the Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush games were the spiritual sequels to the Genesis games, and the console games have been a (poor) continuation of Sonic Adventure.

Perhaps I'll try Advance and Rush someday, but I don't see myself buying a DS any time soon.

And I'll go a bit off track on my thoughts of Sonic 4:

I'll be happy when 4 hits though I wish it was a proper full game disc retail release. Sonic is Sega's mascot, and "old school Sonic" could be a fairly large casual hit in the same way New Super Mario Bros was/is. A lot of people (more casual gamers) remember old titles they played way back when but, are put off when they find what they remember is no longer familiar. I think this is why New Super Mario Bros did so well. An old school Sonic at retail in the stores for PS3/360/Wii could be pretty big.

Sega could even push it the same way it did back when they compared Sonic to Super Mario World...nostalgia done right can work. Many people I know who have bought that Mario title don't really play games much...they bought it because they "remember playing that game" and don't want to play the new ones. They never finished the old or the new one, but they bought it. I could see the same thing happening with an old school Sonic.

While I'm happy its coming, I also wish it wasn't a download title...the audience for this one will surely be crippled compared to a retail release. Wait till all the episodes are done, release as a multi platform disc title and watch the cash roll in. I just can't help but feel that Sega is shooting themselves in the foot by doing it this way.

BUT, I suppose it's better then getting Sonic and the Black Knight's Golden Rings or whatever other new title that will further drag the Hedgehog into darkness. ^_^ Yes, I'm really being whiny about it and I admit it.

Edited by Gaijin

Guess we complain about Sonic for the same reason we complain about Macross. Its because we actually love them. I'll be happy with this game as long as it has the propwer pinball mechanics, momentum based gameplay and no boost. Speed is gained as a reward for playing well. Also only sonic (tough Amy, Tails & Knuckles would be welcome as DLC optional characters). The last game i rememberd had those elements done right was the very first Sonic Advance. the other two were starting to mess with th gameplay. I highly recommend you to try this one. And rush doesn't count for relying to much on gimmicks.

Guess we complain about Sonic for the same reason we complain about Macross. Its because we actually love them. I'll be happy with this game as long as it has the propwer pinball mechanics, momentum based gameplay and no boost. Speed is gained as a reward for playing well. Also only sonic (tough Amy, Tails & Knuckles would be welcome as DLC optional characters). The last game i rememberd had those elements done right was the very first Sonic Advance. the other two were starting to mess with th gameplay. I highly recommend you to try this one. And rush doesn't count for relying to much on gimmicks.

I'm more happy than anything to see 4 come out. I just wish it was a retail release.

Xeno-----blade? http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/sx4j/index.html

Monolith's developing it. But for the Wii? That goes against the whole "high-end visuals" theme they like (they're like Square in that regard).

Does look like it has giant organic mecha...

I'm also going to keep a eye on this Xenoblade game as Xenogears was my favorite PS1 RPG and the saga games were ok I'm hoping this game will, if part of the universe, go back to what made Xenogears so amazing a interesting world and a massive storyline with likeable characters... seriously the amount of time it took me to play through Xenogears was 60-70 hours I beat ALL the Xenosaga games in less.

As for Sonic 4 hell yes! I'm loving the retro revival with Mario, Megaman, Contra amongst others.

Tried the AvP demo... I'm disappointed, it could've been better. The good thing is that the atmosphere is totally authentic. That's the only thing I can think of besides the Predator being really fun to play with.

Now the bad...

Video options are silly, you don't have the freedom of tweaking settings like other games. Also, you can't turn off the damn motion blur.

Oh I hate this so much. The microphone STAYS ON in the lobby. If you have a shitty mic (like me) and it's causing echoes, it obviously is going to get louder and unbearable. Everyone else will hear it and it's going to annoy and piss people off. If there's a secret option to turn it off or change it to push-to-talk, I'd like to hear it.

Some nitpicks here.

Nearly all the Marines' weapons don't feel like they pack a punch, also it feels like I'm not hitting anything most of the time with them either. I don't know if the devs did that on purpose though... Since you're going up against things nightmares are made of.

As an Alien, the auto-aligning to a surface gets really disorientating, I wish the game let you turn it off.

I would like if they had done classes. You pick species, then you get to choose what class to be:

ie. Marines get Rifleman, Smart-Gunner, Engineer; Aliens get Drone, Runner, Praetorian; Predators get... whatever hierarchy they go by.

Hopefully the full game will be a different beast...

Edited by shiroikaze

A bit off-topic, but has anyone else had their spam-box inundated with Blizzard WoW Account Management messages? They're probably all phishing attempts (I mean no one has that awesome of a customer service!). I used to get maybe 1 every 2 weeks, but now I'm getting spammed without end. Almost 4 e-mails per day.

Hilarious thing is that I don't have a WoW/Blizzard account :p .

Some news on the X-Box 360 front.

I just downloaded Stone Prisoner (Dragon Age: Origins and Blood Dragon armor (Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect 2), as well as activated Cerberus Network for my brother's X-Box Live Account, as well as the Inferno Armor for Mass Effect 2 (he pre-ordered the game where he works). Getting the Inferno Armor was a minor pain in the ass, though, because I had to go to masseffect.com on the PC, login into the account I created for him over at EA Games), and put the code there (for the life of me I don't know why they didn't include a code input under the downloadable content menu like in Dragon Age: Origins), and restart the X-Box 360 in order to download it.

Going to the Normandy crash site is going to be interesting to say the least, and having another body to recruit is a plus, too.

Edited by Wanzerfan

Anyone play the Battlefield BC2 multiplayer demo?

I've been downloading it for the last week, shit's huge... (1.35 gigs) and I'd rather be playing something than waiting on the download...

once I have it I'll try it though.

Also bioshock 2 comes out tomorrow. is anyone else going to be picking it up? I'm really looking forward to trying multiplayer.

I've been downloading it for the last week, shit's huge... (1.35 gigs) and I'd rather be playing something than waiting on the download...

once I have it I'll try it though.

Also bioshock 2 comes out tomorrow. is anyone else going to be picking it up? I'm really looking forward to trying multiplayer.

Yea. i'm getting it on x360 tho.