The Gurren Lagann Thread.

It's on backorder there, though... aren't the chances pretty slim of them getting any back in stock? :(

No worries. They're probably just waiting for a new shipment.

Mine was also on backorder but were in stock within a few days.

Now THIS looks like a promising diecast! And thats a lot of drills LOL. :lol: Though I wish it comes with some giant size drill as well. And the 'glasses' still look solid instead of transparent in the early prototype. Wonder what the final toy will come with.

gurren2.jpg

gurren.jpg

gurren3.jpg

While we still have to see how good the finish is on the final product, its the articulation (and the number of drills) that surprises me a bit. While not at the end-all artculation level, it sure has a bit more than the average gokin has to offer. Really looking forward to see how well this one turns out.

• 2 weeks later...

...and the cast for TTGL's English dub are:

Brett Weaver as Kamina

Tiffany Grant as Yoko

Brittney Karbowski as Kinon

Chris Patton as Rossiu

Greg Ayres as Gimmy

Hilary Haag as Darry

Jason Douglas as Kittan

Kira Vincent-Davis as Kiyal

Mark X. Laskowski as Leeron

Monica Rial as Kiyoh

Vic Mignogna as Viral

Gah, I hate it when this happens. I want to buy the DVDs because I want to support what is unquestionably one of the best shows of 2007...and yet I do not want to support a sub-par sub translation. If I stick with my fansubs and don't buy the DVDs, the suits will undoubtedly blame the excellent show for the poor sales and it's one more loss for the anime industry which seems to be suffering poor performance across the board.

No strong feelings about the dub, though. It really takes an excellent dub job to make me even care, otherwise I just stick with the subs.

Gah, I hate it when this happens. I want to buy the DVDs because I want to support what is unquestionably one of the best shows of 2007...and yet I do not want to support a sub-par sub translation. If I stick with my fansubs and don't buy the DVDs, the suits will undoubtedly blame the excellent show for the poor sales and it's one more loss for the anime industry which seems to be suffering poor performance across the board.

No strong feelings about the dub, though. It really takes an excellent dub job to make me even care, otherwise I just stick with the subs.

Just do what I do...watch the fansubs and buy tons of swag. Swag funds the anime too.

Well, I just kicked reason to the curb and finished a marathon viewing of the entire Gurren Lagann series (I simply couldn't wait anymore for the dvds). Manly tears were shed, indeed, and my views of modern anime were shattered completely in an instant (well, 27 episodes worth of instances!).

Simply put, THIS is the greatest series I have seen in years. It's not without some flaws (they almost lost me a bit from episodes 17-20), but the payoff was outstanding. Just when you think they can't possibly top the insanity of what you've seen previous, the next episode comes along and truly blows your mind with pure hot-bloodedness. I haven't been this engrossed in a tv series since the original SDF Macross, as plowing through an entire 27 episode show in practically one day is something I generally never do. My wife was concerned when she left the house in the morning and returned to find me still planted in front of the computer, glued to the screen.

"Umm, are you STILL watching this show?!" she asked.

"Of course! WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!?" I replied.

She backed away slowly and shook her head, laughing. ^_^

I wholeheartedly understand now, fellow members of the Great Gurren Brigade! This just ranked up there in my top anime of all time!

ROW ROW, FIGHT THE POWER!!! B))

Edited by crasis

It's definately the culmination of everything awesome Gainax has done +.

A quick note about ADV's release. The translator has popped up in one of the topics about it, and it looks like the "hell" was only taken out of Simon's dialogue at the beginning of the first episode because he says something slightly different than what Kamina says. It will still be there in Kamina's dialogue.

Haven't been able to get any comments on the "Team Gurren" thing, but hopefully enough people will have bitched to inspire them to fix that.

But "Team Gurren" just sounds so..."Team Rocket." Ugh.

I'm also betting there isn't half as many f-bombs in the show as the fansubs would lead me to believe. :p

Ah well. I'm still going to get the DVDs, if only to support this incredible series. Hopefully we'll see some of the merch ported over here, too. I needs me some GL figures/shirts/etc.

Any news on possible special editions/box versions of these DVDs? I loved what Bandai/Manga did with the GITS:SAC SE sets (as poor as they made me). Including cool things like soundtrack discs, trading figs, etc. is the way to go, IMHO. Then again, I guess TTGL isn't as well known here as the GITS franchise...but it damn well should be!

Gurren Dan still could very well translate to Gurren Brigade. However, Gainax has been known to call things by a slightly different name when using English. Take Evangelion, for instance. The title translates from Japanese to English as New Century Evangelion. However, Gainax chose to give the English title as Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Thing is, I was fairly certain at one point that Gurren Dan translates as "Gurren Brigade". I'm assuming I was totally wrong.

Yeah. Even in Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, S.O.S Dan is SOS Brigade.

Oh well.

I did wind up sending a message to the customer service message thingy on their website. I was going to go through the comment thing on the stream, but that page was down. This was before I'd heard that they'd gotten it off the Gainax website. Dunno, though, kinda wish I knew about the actual translation bit, I mean I've seen many a Japanese company use completely wrong english. Look at how Yamato spelled Excalibur on the 25thy anniversary YF-19 toy. Maybe it's intentional, maybe it was the wrong context, or maybe Gainax themselves made a translation error. Still worth talking about. Besides, "Gurren Brigade" sounds so much better.

Also, there were those other questionable translations. "Kick reason to the curb and stick to our crazy guns" and "Target the dimensional waterfall!"?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I haven't seen anyone else mention this yet, but over at the Anime News Network they announced today that Gurren Lagann has been removed from ADV Film's website, as well as a few other series. Looks like it may not be coming to the States after all if this news is true. I wonder what happened...

Well, I haven't seen anyone else mention this yet, but over at the Anime News Network they announced today that Gurren Lagann has been removed from ADV Film's website, as well as a few other series. Looks like it may not be coming to the States after all if this news is true. I wonder what happened...

ADV goin down the path of Geneon USA?