The Gurren Lagann Thread.

Ok, i just finished watching the entire series (until then i avoided reading this thread for fear of spoilers), and what can i say, this series was absolutely frackin awesome! :) Sign me up for the great gurren brigade!!

that's all. just sounding off. i want to re-watch the last 2 episodes first!! Can't wait for the movie. :)

Ok finally read this thread up to the last page. it's a shame that i came onto this fantastic series a bit late, but the benefit is that i got to watch it marathon style, which was an amazing experience. all that hot-blooded gurren passion in a span of one day!! it's a wonder that my systems did not crash and burn with all that adrenaline. still having some after-effects to this day. :)

man, those last 2 eps was awesome. it just kept topping itself. better and better until it pierced the heavens. wow.

ok, i know this is old hat, and overly discussed, but i can't get over the 1st episode prologue with Garlock. i read the theories (non-literal teaser, alternate reality, the other side of the decision simon made, or the actual spiral nemesis), but i loved the idea of simon and bota traveling the universe again that i just wanted to believe that the prologue will actually happen.

basically, it's me wanting the story of simon to never end. i mean, at the heart of it all, that's the basic concept of gurren lagann... a story of a boy whose potential and destiny is without limit, right? so i want to believe that his story will go on... ep27 epilogue notwithstanding.

i have no complaints about the epilogue. i am not disappointed that simon ended up as some kind of nameless wanderer. so what? i like it when leeron said that "he's there, protecting us in some way" or something like that. whether such a continuation of simon's story will be animated in sequels or not, i will never belive that it is the end for him. after all, the stars are waiting for him.

although, don't you find it a bit ironic that after reaching the pinnacle of spiral power, simon ultimately decided to follow the path of the anti-spiral, albeit in a more passive manner? basically, he decided to stop evolving his spiral power. like the anti-spiral, he sealed his evolution (by giving the core drill to gimmy) and slept (by basically leaving his lagann and wandering). but like someone said, he just promised to pierce the heavens. he never said anything about staying there, right? ;)

but let me delve into some wishful thinking, anyway. if a new story will be animated, it would probably involve a threat greater than the anti-spiral. the prologue mentioned going against a "dimensional government". could it be possible that in the event the anti-spiral failed, and the spirals evolved to dangerous levels (not yet spiral nemesis, but dangerous levels nonetheless), another race is there to stop any further evolution by decimating the spirals? a force or race a million times more powerful than the anti-spiral? if such a thing would happen, i have no doubt in my mind that a guy like simon would cease his self-imposed self-exile, and continue his evolution. age be damned. with the power of the core drill, it'll be easy enough for him to reverse the aging process or become immortal (lordgenome was able to do it, and simon is far more powerful). and this time, he'll be bringing bota along for the evolutionary ride. and this time, with this new and bigger threat, the stars themselves would indeed be the enemy that simon has to face. :)

ah but like i said, this is just wishful thinking. this is just me liking this series so damn much that i wish it wouldn't end. :p

Take a look at the background.

Is that a Fraulein or MMS Nia?

BTW fellas. Gainax has more GL projects in the works besides the movie. B))

080602_17410001_2.jpg

Take a look at the background.

Is that a Fraulein or MMS Nia?

BTW fellas. Gainax has more GL projects in the works besides the movie. B))

I kinda gathered as much as Fanime when someone said "I wish I could say more" referring to the future of GL.

Sweet.

I just read dreamweavers post so:

The question of why the prologue was different from the end of the series was asked and answered at the Gainax panel at Fanime.

Not a direct quote but - "The series just ended up going in (ending) a different direction than the prologue showed."

The question of why the prologue was different from the end of the series was asked and answered at the Gainax panel at Fanime.

Not a direct quote but - "The series just ended up going in (ending) a different direction than the prologue showed."

What kinda answer is that? :rolleyes:

Did they plan to go in the prologue direction and moved or did they plan to go on a different direction?

:huh:

I honestly couldn't tell you. While that wasn't verbatim, it's what he said. There was no in depth explanation.

*I* took from it that they had a rough idea laid out and it changed over time and the prologue became moot but that's just me.

• 2 weeks later...

The trailer for the first (of seven) Gurren Lagann OVA's have been posted!

Lord of the Rings meets Gurren Lagann?!?!?!?!?!? ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWAH!

http://www.gurren-lagann-movie.net/gurrepa...view/flash.html

Direct download = http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XM1DZA6A

Well that was certainly, different.

What are Gainax they doing with these OVA's, alternate universes? Each one a poarody of a differnt anime template?

What are Gainax doing with these OVA's, alternate universes? Each one a poarody of a differnt anime template?

What are Gainax doing with these OVA's, alternate universes? Each one a poarody of a differnt anime template?

Gurren Lagann Parallel Works is going to take songs from the OST and make music videos out of them. I can't wait for the Liberal Me From Hell one which is a 5 minute song B))

Gurren Lagann is a masterpiece of a series and I'm glad we're getting the Parallel Works music videos as a nice form of fanservice. I loved the one that just came out. Having Viral's wife from the dream sequence in the video was a nice touch.

I also cannot wait for the Libera Me From Hell one. Easily the best song on the whole OST.

Edited by Rune Walsh

Speaking of Gurren Lagann, has anyone elses DVD's shipped yet? Mine shipped out Friday, should hopefully have them tomorrow or tuesday.

::crossing fingers for "gurren brigade" over "team gurren":::

Edited by Keith

Speaking of Gurren Lagann, has anyone elses DVD's shipped yet? Mine shipped out Friday, should hopefully have them tomorrow or tuesday.

::crossing fingers for "gurren brigade" over "team gurren":::

Wait. They're out already?!?!?

WTF?

thanks for this. yeah, sadly i read this too. oh well...

anyways, i understand how the story just took a different direction. and i have absolutely NO qualms about the ending (before the credits), coz i believe it to be perfect. but given a choice between the two opposite directions taken by the after-credits epilogue, and the prologue, i would have much preferred the latter.

actually, the prologue itself would have also made sense as an epilogue. in fact, if gainax hadn't put in that after-credits epilogue, my mind would have assumed that the prologue is the ultimate ending to the series. :)

but as i said... oh well....

maybe that's the way they'll do it in the second movie... :)

Wait. They're out already?!?!?

WTF?

Only shops usually ship early.

Good news, "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM" is intact.

Bad News: "Team Gurren"does appear to be a Gainax imposed translation. Oh well.

Getting randomly sick has kept me from watching past the first 3 episodes until my ear drains, but more good news, this disc's have all of original japanese text intro's & endings. Definate points to Bandai, since those will be gone on the disc's released next year.

Getting randomly sick has kept me from watching past the first 3 episodes until my ear drains, but more good news, this disc's have all of original japanese text intro's & endings. Definate points to Bandai, since those will be gone on the disc's released next year.

So what's out right now? Are you referring to the DVD produced by ADV before they lost the license, or are you talking about the Bandai Subs? And is Bandai releasing the discs one every month or so, or are they releasing the series in its entirety (box set)?

By the way; hope you get well soon. ^_^