The Gurren Lagann Thread.

Sexual innnuendos everywhere. If you thought FLCL was filled with it, i think Gurren Langan has lots to spare everywhere. XD

And this screenshot alone tells you how win this series is:

IPB Image

Gainax doing original!?! :lol:

I think the setting is original, yes, as well as the various designs, mainly concerning the mechas :)

I think the setting is original, yes, as well as the various designs, mainly concerning the mechas :)

Maybe if they only had stayed underground and never meet any of the mecha that they are using.

Mecha/Monsters = Modok

the intro = a certain pirate

Kamina = 70's-80's delinquent

This is a Getter FLCL parody. Thus I dub it GETTER COOLY! :lol::huh:

Maybe if they only had stayed underground and never meet any of the mecha that they are using.

Mecha/Monsters = Modok

the intro = a certain pirate

Kamina = 70's-80's delinquent

This is a Getter FLCL parody. Thus I dub it GETTER COOLY! :lol::huh:

It's probably true, but I doubt it's that pertinent: you always take inspiration of something when you create a story/setting/character/whatever... Originality is when you mix all of these elements in an unique, or at least somewhat unique, way which, i think, is the case of this anime, at least for this 1st ep. I also appreciate the old cartoon aspect of some sequences, especially when the main character is digging for example: it's not original strictly speaking, but in this context this is unexpected and a pleasant surprise...

Just my opinion anyway :) I'll try to get a look to Getter FLCL if I can find it somewhere...

Sexual innnuendos everywhere. If you thought FLCL was filled with it, i think Gurren Langan has lots to spare everywhere. XD

And this screenshot alone tells you how win this series is:

I think you might want to look up the word, "innuendo." There's nothing sublte about that what-so-ever.

Subtle enough that kids don't see a erected penis or penetration? :p I meant innuendos like "Piercing your drill towards the sky", not the booby fanservice.

Gurren Langann btw is on prime time slot in Japan. This show's pushing it with the fanservice and innuendos. If this ever gets licensed, parents in the US will have alot more to whinge about. (Remembers the days of FLCL) :lol:

Just one look at the pics posted in this thread is enough for me. Not a fan of this sort of anime at all.

Graham

Yeah the anime is made of 4chan QUALITY. But after watching ep1 again I'm warming to it's characters, especially the Yoko character who has some neat little body movements(not 'the bounce') and attitude(her VA's voice doesn't hurt either). That and you've got mecha making heroic Getter Robo style faces!!! ^_^

post-2410-1176219720_thumb.jpg

post-2410-1176219761_thumb.jpg

post-2410-1176219896_thumb.jpg

Guys, this may seem a bit arbitrary. . . but a while back the staff talked about thread titles and how it was somewhat odd that some threads took it upon themselves to be the "OFFICIAL" (in all-caps no less) thread for a topic. Since "official" implies that the staff or MW ownership is somehow blessing it (when such is not the case), we decided to discourage the use of this terminology (and change thread titles when appropriate).

Yes, it may seem odd. . . but not any more odd than people christening their threads as "OFFICIAL." ;)

I really am tired of what Gainax is doing right now, but I have to admit, it is rather amusing to watch.

Yeah Gainax is in a rut doing little more then FLCL parody/comedies. And after the recent 2-4 years of anime that's been shown it's understandable why Anno has a beef with the current anime trends.

Yeah Gainax is in a rut doing little more then FLCL parody/comedies. And after the recent 2-4 years of anime that's been shown it's understandable why Anno has a beef with the current anime trends.

Outside of Honneamise, Kare Kano, maybe Nadia, hasn't everything Gainax has ever done been a parody to some degree or other?

Mahoromatic, & Melody of Oblivion also weren't parodies. At least no more so than Nadia.

add to the list:

Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai

This Ugly and Beautiful World (which i wasn't so fond of)

He is My Master

Ai no Wakakusayama Monogatari

Ebichu.....still not a parody right?

add to the list:

Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai

This Ugly and Beautiful World (which i wasn't so fond of)

He is My Master

Ai no Wakakusayama Monogatari

Ebichu.....still not a parody right?

Abenobashi was without a doubt a parody. Mahoromatic had heavy parody elements. I'll give you that Ebichu (and the other Modern Love's Silliness bits) was not a parody.

Yeah, Ugly/Beautiful World was crap. So was Melody of Oblivion. I didn't bother with the other two because I'm not into dating sim based stuff, so I can't say.

Abenobashi was only a parody in the 1st 2-3 episodes (RPG world and sci-fi world) and everything else sorta holds the show in its own right so I don't really consider it as an all-out parody show.

Besides, we have new Evangelion movies soon if you want non-parodies. :lol:

Abenobashi was only a parody in the 1st 2-3 episodes (RPG world and sci-fi world) and everything else sorta holds the show in its own right so I don't really consider it as an all-out parody show.

Besides, we have new Evangelion movies soon if you want non-parodies. :lol:

I seem to recall martial arts world and dating sim world too. Not an all out parody show, but still it's there.

I think one could argue that Eva has become a parody of itself. :p

ep 3 was full of awesome. Gurren Lagann finally gattai-ed. The quality of the animation is quite astounding. I'm surprised that this isn't an OVA.

Anyone feel that Yoko has an uncanny resemblance to Nono?

ep 3 was full of awesome. Gurren Lagann finally gattai-ed. The quality of the animation is quite astounding. I'm surprised that this isn't an OVA.

I still have to see episodes two and three but she's sure got a tough yet GENTLE (kid all up in her boobies) side.

I'll have more time to catch up this weekend. B))

EPIC LOLS! @ the OVA remark. I've seen better 'quality' in Hentai. And Gainax is just as prone to 'stock character types' as Gonzo, Madhouse and every other studio out there is. Just look at Heroic Age and don't tell me it looks like it's made from spliced together GUNDAM: SEED materials! LOLZ

EPIC LOLS! @ the OVA remark. I've seen better 'quality' in Hentai. And Gainax is just as prone to 'stock character types' as Gonzo, Madhouse and every other studio out there is. Just look at Heroic Age and don't tell me it looks like it's made from spliced together GUNDAM: SEED materials! LOLZ

Hentai is OVA.....your point? :p

That's cause character designs are done by Hirashi Hirai, who is famous for his "similar" character designs. His designs are so familiar that its ridiculous. Look at Soukyo No Fafner.....another Gundam Seed clone. And you can't deny that characters from sCRYed and Infinite Ryvius looked similar either.