The Gurren Lagann Thread.

This show was in production for years, and they were already recording dialogue for the timeskip episodes by the time it began airing in April. I doubt his departure had any impact on the story at all.

::cough::: Nadia? :) ::cough:::

Not a bad ending at all but I do wonder why they even bothered with Boota's evolution after watching that and equally why they complete srcibbled out the intro to episode one. I wonder if that will just be removed for the dvd release.

Gunbuster still wins the best ending ever award imo.

Not a bad ending at all but I do wonder why they even bothered with Boota's evolution after watching that and equally why they complete srcibbled out the intro to episode one. I wonder if that will just be removed for the dvd release.

Those were my main qualms along with the fact that they didn't show everybody after that final time skip. Like maybe how Attenbourough died (I can dream) and how the Black Siblings are getting along without their big brother.....Reite coping with life as a single mom....etc. Simon becoming into a recluse doesn't sit well with me either. He should be out there in space uniting the galaxies or something.

Maybe the ending format would've been better if they showed screenshots of everyone with little captions explaining what has happened to them during the 20 year time skip with Minna No Peace playing in the background.

Gunbuster still wins the best ending ever award imo.

QFT.

I'm trying to think of something that tops that but can't.

Those were my main qualms along with the fact that they didn't show everybody after that final time skip. Like maybe how Attenbourough died (I can dream) and how the Black Siblings are getting along without their big brother.....Reite coping with life as a single mom....etc. Simon becoming into a recluse doesn't sit well with me either. He should be out there in space uniting the galaxies or something.

Maybe the ending format would've been better if they showed screenshots of everyone with little captions explaining what has happened to them during the 20 year time skip with Minna No Peace playing in the background.

QFT.

I'm trying to think of something that tops that but can't.

Simon's just doing what he can do the best. It's those instincts that brought his character full circle, returning to what he's always been good at. Sure it would've been nice to see HIM onboard the Chouginga instead of Viral. Most folks would prefered they switched places. But I think it's rather fitting for someone of Simon's character to wander the planet. Helping others to drill through the space that HE created for future generations. It's bittersweet but an end nonetheless.

Nice ending, bittersweet, but nice. Many manly tears were shed (Simon saying

“…I’m nobody”

ouch! But he did say that he was going to pierce the heavens, not go up there). Gunbuster’s still had a better ending but this series was loaded with fun and great moments.

A special mention should go to how charismatic were all the characters, even when the great majority didn’t have more than a few lines of dialog.

Really weird how one episode has Boota evolving and the next one has no mention whatsoever about this. Maybe they saw the series could be milked more and decided to postpone the fight showed in the first episode. The one episode Boota/human with a young voice would be a little appetizer.

Gainax left a pretty open ending. They can go back to Genome’s war with the anti spirals or go forward and address the inevitable Spiral Nemesis/group of spirals evolving too much. Spiral that evolve past were the antispirals stoped

Sadly the guy in the first episode would no be Simon. Maybe a protégé of him or the kid that got the drill (don’t remember his name).

I read an interesting theory in another forum.

The events in episode 1 may be an alternate ending if Simon chose to continue the fight and become the Spiral Nemesis. Boota looks at the explosions in the distance and say "All these stars are our enemies....." which Simon later says he'll crush them with space time himself.

Fast forward to episode 27, old hobo Simon looks up into the sky with the kid and says "All these stars are our friends....".

Interesting.

The events in episode 1 may be an alternate ending if Simon chose to continue the fight and become the Spiral Nemesis. Boota looks at the explosions in the distance and say "All these stars are our enemies....." which Simon later says he'll crush them with space time himself.

Fast forward to episode 27, old hobo Simon looks up into the sky with the kid and says "All these stars are our friends....".

Interesting.

That's an interesting idea, and if it's true the more the loss because they didn't take it quite far enough. Still, I enjoy the ending. Good series. Very good series.

About time they released the OST. Parts of it have been stuck in my head for some time.

It's cool and sad that the 20" Gurren-Lagann comes with a 1/1 Core Drill. Cool because it makes sense and would be a great extra, sad because it makes mine a tiny bit less special. Though i still have the added bonus of mine being given to me by Yamaga himself and for being a not for sale item.

Awesome! I hope the quality is about on par with SOCs then it'll be worth the price.

Its afterall about the same price as standard SOCs and a Yamato valk. ;)

It's nowhere near as big as a similarily priced SOC though, only 20cm tall.

I have no doubt that Bandai will do one I just have no idea when. :(

That theory does make a lot of sense, partly because it would explain why Simon stepped down. I.e. he felt he had no choice and did it in order to stop his spiral power from spinning out of control. Plus going through all of that and still losing your love can't have been fun. :(

Interesting.

Very interesting.

I still think they could make a movie sequel.

The Anti Spirals were the defenders of the universe and to them all the stars were the enemy (those that house spiral beings because they can potentially end the universe).

When they were destroyed they gave the torch to the humans/Gurren Brigade (“make sure… to protect the universe”), so technically, they will have to fight off the Spiral Nemesis. All the stars are friends… for now.

Or rather, Simon becomes the Spiral Nemesis and all other Spiral races will converge to destroy him along with earth because his existence will end the universe.

Generally the repeating theme here is Spiral beings (humans, sentient beings) are greedy and will always seek to achieve higher goals and greatness and thus, evolution. I'm not sure about this but I think the idea is if spiral beings evolve to their limit, their passionate goals of grandeur will consume themselves and destroy the universe. This ultimate evolution is ironically called the Spiral Nemesis. Yeah very Atlantis-like. The anti-spirals stopped their evolution and took it upon themselves to keep everyone at status quo, so nobody becomes the Spiral Nemesis....which ironically was exactly what Lord Genome was doing by keeping the human numbers on the planet low.

So i guess generally the message conveyed here is.....kick reason to the curb....don't let others tell you what's good for you. Fight them if you need to. :lol:

I don't know, if the good-ending/bad-ending theory is true, then both these scenarios kinda water that theme down. I'd rather see them build up that theme if anything, maybe retelling the story as a set of two movies? Or maybe if they do a sequel have the two possibilities collide? Simon versus....Simon?

THE OST (official soundtrack) is out guys! 130MB's.

ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWA!

http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=2288

Man its on my playlist and repeat now. This will be the otaku anthem of 2007, along with Minna No Peace.

And here's a gao gai gar reference.

1191411624519ur3.png

Edited by wolfx

SCOPPPPPPEDA!

http://gainax.weblogs.jp/gurrenlagann/

来る10月16日、新宿ロフトプラスワンにて行われるアニメスタイルのイベントでは「『天元突破グレンラガ ン』大グレン団公開打ち上げ」と題し、先日最終回を迎えた「天元突破グレンラガン」を大特集し ます。!

October 16, Gainax is holding a Gurren-Lagann convention-styled event for fan meetings, episode screenings, showing off merchandise but mainly for "one secret surprise announcement"!

Interesting.

The alternate timeline theory makes an incredible amount of sense. Thinking about it, the last two episodes were all about proving that humans wouldn't make the same mistakes as the past spiral beings. Thus, the episode could be the breaking of the predicted timeline (Simon doing the whole Spiral Nemisis thing) and showing that his future and the future of the current Spiral beings isn't set in stone. Although, it's possible that the scene from episode 1 was from a previous set of Spiral beings (who's to say that history doesn't repeat itself to some extent since all the Lagann were exactly the same in the graveyard).

As for the "Special Announcement", I'm really hoping that it's some kind of sequel series or a stand alone movie that takes place in it's own timeline.

I don't know about you guys, but I want to see what led to that event in episode 1 and where it was going.... I'm not entirely convinced that event had anything to do with the events in the last two episodes...but that's just me.

I think that Gainax could get away with remaking the whole series if they went down the opposite path of Simon's power corrupting him and leading up to the finish we saw at the start of episode 1.

Kinda like an RPG with two endings, people like those, right?

I think that Gainax could get away with remaking the whole series if they went down the opposite path of Simon's power corrupting him and leading up to the finish we saw at the start of episode 1.

Kinda like an RPG with two endings, people like those, right?

I honestly think that would make a crappy series. Now that we've seen the good Simon, it's just not gonna go over well to make him into a bad Simon. Kinda like how the main character of Nadesico was pretty evil in the movie and was more or less a craphead. It just doesn't bode well.

The hot bloodedness of the series comes partly from fighting for Justice, but fighting for evil just wouldn't have the same hot blooded feeling, which is pretty much what Gurren Lagann is all about.

Edited by protostar8

What is evil? In gurren lagann there's no "EVIL". Everyone is fighting for their own justification of what's right. Simon will still be hot blooded in the alternate ending just that he's TOO hot blooded and probably has kicked reason to the curb.

"WHAT? They wanna attack us? Who the hell they think we are? Madness? This....is.....Gurren DAAAAAAAAAAANNNNN!!!" (fires elsheim cannon destroying a few enemy galaxies)

:lol:

I still think that scene from episode 1 happens in those 20 years it took to achieve peace with the other spiral races. I certainly hope a movie that would lead to a fight with all the freaking universe.

Only that it didn't happen because he gave the Core Drill to Gimmy. In episode 1 , he still had the Core Drill.

Well, maybe something went wrong with the diplomatic mission carried by Viral, and the peace talk became a full scale war with the rest of spiral races in the galaxy.

What is evil? In gurren lagann there's no "EVIL". Everyone is fighting for their own justification of what's right. Simon will still be hot blooded in the alternate ending just that he's TOO hot blooded and probably has kicked reason to the curb.

"WHAT? They wanna attack us? Who the hell they think we are? Madness? This....is.....Gurren DAAAAAAAAAAANNNNN!!!" (fires elsheim cannon destroying a few enemy galaxies)

:lol:

Considering the fact that we now know that other Spiral beings existed that weren't evil, Simon attacking them and more than likely destroying their worlds would definitely be evil to me. If we never found out that the other worlds were open to peace talks and stuff and were lead to believe they were evil, it'd be a different story. But as it stands, Simon attacking worlds that we know might be good is evil. Also, going out of control to the point where you destroy the universe for your own selfish goals, The Spiral Nemisis effect, is pretty evil too...

Well....he's fighting for love. One cannot argue that destroying a whole Anti-spiral planet in the name of love as evil. The theme of the 2nd half of the show after all was for Simon to save Nia (his own selfish goal) and to have the motivation to push him fwd more into his goal. He had his doubts when the anti-spiral mind-f*cked him and revealed that his actions will destroy planets and even galaxies for the petty fleeting feeling of "Love". But does that stop him? No. Kick reason to the curb. Destroy a few galaxies and planets to save his loved one. Can you still call him evil? To the innocent bystanders.... yes. To the viewers, definately no. If you're one of those unfortunate planets being flung around by giant mecha as projectiles, would you appreciate Simon's power of love or would you just think he's an evil guy with selfish goals?

But as it stands, Simon attacking worlds that we know might be good is evil.

We'll never know that. For all you know, he might just be defending against jealous spiral beings who want his power. Maybe someone kidnapped Darry and he's all out to save her, even if it means waging war with the whole universe. As i said, the show's theme shows that nothing is absolutely evil. Everyone's just doing what he thinks is right.

Well....he's fighting for love. One cannot argue that destroying a whole Anti-spiral planet in the name of love as evil. The theme of the 2nd half of the show after all was for Simon to save Nia (his own selfish goal) and to have the motivation to push him fwd more into his goal. He had his doubts when the anti-spiral mind-f*cked him and revealed that his actions will destroy planets and even galaxies for the petty fleeting feeling of "Love". But does that stop him? No. Kick reason to the curb. Destroy a few galaxies and planets to save his loved one. Can you still call him evil? To the innocent bystanders.... yes. To the viewers, definately no. If you're one of those unfortunate planets being flung around by giant mecha as projectiles, would you appreciate Simon's power of love or would you just think he's an evil guy with selfish goals?

We'll never know that. For all you know, he might just be defending against jealous spiral beings who want his power. Maybe someone kidnapped Darry and he's all out to save her, even if it means waging war with the whole universe. As i said, the show's theme shows that nothing is absolutely evil. Everyone's just doing what he thinks is right.

That may be true, but don't forget that the whole last fight occurs in a dimension/space where the Anti-Spirals conrol everything, so I doubt that the galaxies in that fight have living things on them. The way the Anti-Spiral talked, it was like he "made" the space they fought in, and I doubt he'd have made something with Spiral beings existing and the only Anti-spirals shown were on his planet, which was in the enemy robot. All I was really saying is that Simon conquering the universe to expand human kind is kinda evil. Doing so to save someone isn't that evil. One way is for personal gain and the other is helping someone in need of help. I know there aren't absolutes, but the show is all about interpretation, so I'm cool with anyone's theories, so long as the theory makes at least a little sense. I'm not saying people can't question them, but I can usually see where they are coming from...

Edited by protostar8

All I have to say is WoW. This series rocks! I just finished watching the series and all I have to say is WoW!!! I am now officially a Gurren Lagann fan for life! Usually I don't like productions from Gainax, but this one is special. This is one mecha series to remember! Can someone say BEST ANIME OF THE YEAR AWARD? Poor Simon losing Nia in the end put a manly tear in my eye :( .

Anyone else besides me want to buy Konami's high impact model of Gurren Lagann? If that thing is anything the quality of or better of an SOC I'm willing to pay the price for it!!

You know, I was going to wait for the ADV release, I really really was. Then I accidentaly stumbled upon the first episode of Gundam 00 on youtube, then the second. I don't trust torrent software, call me old fashioned, but that's just the way I am. After watching 00, my curiousity got the better of me, & I decided to watch Gurren Lagann.

I knew I was going to like this show, which is why I figured I'd just wait for the DVD's (which I still can't wait to get), but damn. This was the perfect mixture of everything good in anime up to date, easily matching if not surpassing Gunbuster. Sure there's a clipshow episode in there, but even that can be forgiven. Even the Matsumoto ending was perfect, I just hope ADV markets this series right (it'd be nice for a change).

The most surprising part for me was loving a Gaianx production this much without Anno being involved. I've yet to see a Gainax production I don't like (since the Nadia movie wasn't technically theirs), but this is definately their highest to date. It definately carries his spirit, along with Matsumoto, Tomino, Kawamori, Go Nagai, etc. It's very true to Gainax's tradition of being heavily inspired, without ripping off, beloved shows.

I'd also be quite satisfied if this is all there is of this series. While it's left open enough, I really doubt we'll see a sequel. As for the beginning,

I think I fall into the camp that believe it's a previous Spiral attempt, as opposed to an alternate reality, or other assorted possability. I'd wager it had something to do with how the drill core got to where Simon found it.

Its no longer a spoiler actually. :lol:

1stly , was there such a camp? Because its quite evident that captain GarLock there is Simon with evolved Boota as his 2nd in command. 2ndly his cape and the flag on the ship clearly shows the Dai Gurren Dan's logo, unless you wanna stretch our belief that all Spiral beings will adopt the same logo coincidentally. 3rdly not to mention that captain Garlock mentions "Gurren Lagann, spin on!" which basically means he's referring to the name coined by none other than Kamina himself, unless u wanna go for a stretch and say Kamina coincidentally named it the same thing as what the previous spiral race named it.

Sorry but that camp (if there was one) doesn't hold any water. ;)