The Gurren Lagann Thread.

I'm just wandering, is chou-ginga gurren-lagann the biggest mecha in anime history? I mean, the size of that thing must be as big as the moon. :huh:

Diebuster from Aim For The Top 2 currently holds that title as its bigger than earth itself and has its butt imprinted on the moon.

And about chou-ginga gurren-lagann....not sure. The anti-spiral creepy thing was throwing what looked like planets at it. It could be the biggest mecha ever.

In case no one saw the connection, Viral's dream wife has a striking resemblance to Zelda....probably because Viral's voice actor is the same as Link's in the Japanese version.

I'm just wandering, is chou-ginga gurren-lagann the biggest mecha in anime history? I mean, the size of that thing must be as big as the moon. :huh:

Chou Ginga is huge but the final form seems to dwarf anything I've seen before.

2001136330839682305_rs.jpg

It's science fiction though, as some dude once said when asked about sequels to aliens;

"It's sci-fi, there are a thousand ways to bring Ripley back"

All they have to do is have them venture out further into the galaxy, find a stronger race that even the anti spirals fear and wham! second series!

The thing I want to see most, is in the final frame of the credits to 27; "Gurren Lagann will Return!" It would make my year. :D

Yeah, Diebuster is easily forgotten in the face of this.

Diebuster who? oh yeah, that big robot girl that fought "space bugs". Though that was a long bug repellent commercial. :p

They just need to

blow up at least two universes to top Ideon (and in a series with "probability altering engines" going around I wouldn't be surprised)

to win the most destructive mecha award along with biggest mecha and most awesome. :lol:

I really liked the last two episodes. The gatai in 25 was memorable thanks to Kitan’s help. Without him they would have lost and the homage in Simons glasses and chou-ginga gurren-lagann lower face specs were a nice way to acknowledge this.

Anybody else think they might follow up 27 with an OVA? The whole Galaxy Whatever they talk about in the first episode hasn’t even been mentioned yet. Another series would force the whole formula but one or two OVA’s could work.

I would prefer for it to end with 27 though.

Edited by Twoducks

Man, I can't believe people actually want it to end. What if a sequel turned out to be the anime equivalent of Terminator 2 or even Aliens, you'd all change your tunes then wouldn't ya! :p

Hell yeah! That would be the most awesomest way of being proven wrong :p

I just love all the character designs for the show. You've got some really over the top characters, with obvious homages like JoJo here, and then the understated characters like Lon and Attenborough who really play off Simon's obvious Harlock homage. The look of the show really helps it bounce between the incredibly goofy, the over the top heroic sentimentality, the utterly out-there galaxy sized robots and instant-evolutions, and courage+determination beats all attitude.

Of course, the self-awareness the characters have about all this, I think that really ties it all up nicely, "You're the one who made this madness work!"

Man, last episode on the way. Been a long time since I've enjoyed a show so thoroughly.

The NEW Gurren-Laganns are coming in February/March 2008.

14cm version (mostly plastic, lesser features..........$32)

http://www.amiami.com/shop/ProductInfo/product_id/83439

2004861061824336585_rs.jpg

20cm version (mostly diecast, comes with 1/1 CORE DRILL, multiple drills.......$134)

http://www.amiami.com/shop/ProductInfo/product_id/83440

2004876578556779255_rs.jpg

I'll have to stay away from this thread until I watch it.

Wait a few days for the avi sub and watch it when I have less work or download the raw and watch it today... ?

Screw it, awesomeness can pierce through the language barrier anyways. Download? yes please :p )

Gainax will re-broadcast the series at night time around 2:00 am starting from 4 October.

This time they will probably show episode 6 without the sensor :ph34r:

「天元突破グレンラガン」再放送決定!

(2007/09/28) [放送情報]

本日ついに最終回を迎えた「天元突破グレンラガン」。

これまでの放送を見逃してしまって悔しい思いをした方、これまで見たことがなかった方に朗報です。

10月4日より、テレビ東京系列の放送局にて深夜での再放送が決定しました!

放送時間は以下のとおりです。

テレビ東京:10月4日より毎週木曜日 26:15~26:45

テレビ大阪:10月5日より毎週金曜日 27:05~27:35

テレビ愛知:10月5日より毎週金曜日 26:58~27:28

テレビ北海道:10月8日より毎週月曜日 26:30~27:00

テレビせとうち:10月9日より毎週火曜日 25:58~26:28

TVQ九州放送:10月10日より毎週水曜日 26:38~27:08

この機会をお見逃しなく!

OT: Just wondering guys....

I been downloading the HD Gurren Lagann .mkvs and watching them fine on my Centrino laptop....but it lags terribly with CPU at 100% on my older P4 2.0ghz laptop with the same codec installations. Non-HD mkvs work fine on it. Question: Is it just a matter of CPU speed..... or is something wonky with the older laptop?

To hell with that, I want spoilers damnit!

Since you asked for it, here's some spoilers:

- Gurren Lagann final form, the galaxy sized Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagan with all the gurren dan members as pilot

- Lord Genome regain his body and Boota back to his hamster form.

- Lord Genome dies defending the TTGL from a bigbang attack with a galaxy sized Razengann.

- Ending sequence: Simon marries Nia.

- Nia died since she's an anti spiral.

:ph34r:

Yeah its great yadda yadda and manly tears were shed.....the usual epic and awesome that everyone else has said already....so i'm all GAR-ed out.

I felt the finale could've been much more but I guess they reached their limit and lost steam after the epic battle.

I was also kind of weirded out about the episode 1 continuity. If Simon passed the core dril to Gimmy, then that means when he walked off into the sunset after the wedding, he just continued being a sad bitter hermit instead of going up into space unifying the nations or whatever it is he's supposed to be doing. That's just sad IMHO. And the lack of manimal boota has left me in despair....in a good way. That whole "evolution power" that he seemed to have was gone after the dream sequence which made that whole standoff with anti-spiral meaningless.

It was kinda sad as well that nobody lived happily ever after. I guess i'm just a scmuck for feel good endings.

I wonder did Takami Akai's departure from the production team affected the story in this sense. Would the story be different if he was still around? Did he have something different in mind for Gurren Lagann?

Just finished watching.

Although I personally find the ending appropriate and overall quite enjoyable, I found it was kind of contradictory to the whole ¨kick reason to the curb¨ philosophy of Gurren Lagann, given the ultimate fates of the protagonists (specially Simon and Yoko). Certainly a bitter-sweet ending.

I'm still wondering why they decided to change/skip so many things from what is seen in the 1st episode, the whole humanoid Boota and the GARlock costume etc... I'm thinking/hoping we'll eventually see some kind of OVA or Movie related to that or maybe focused on Kamina's father and the previous Spiral Knights.

Thank you Gainax, you finally made a series worth crying (manly tears) for.

I wonder did Takami Akai's departure from the production team affected the story in this sense. Would the story be different if he was still around? Did he have something different in mind for Gurren Lagann?

This show was in production for years, and they were already recording dialogue for the timeskip episodes by the time it began airing in April. I doubt his departure had any impact on the story at all.

Edited by ChrisG