The Gurren Lagann Thread.

Well, at last I'm there, I caught up to Gurren Lagann and my god, WHAT A RIDE!

I just watched 20-24 in one sitting and I was floored again and again.

As well as the end I can't wait for the real toys to start hitting the market, Simon's rides alone would keep Bandai's SOC division busy/in business for a whole freaking year.

And with that in mind I thought I'd do a little idle speculation as to how Bandai would go about it. ;)

This is my dream line up:

Lagann - Spec Layzner size, transforms with included figures and movable/swappable facial features as well as drills.

Gurren Lagann - Mazinger size, has a small partially transforming lagann to combine with plus jet pack and an arse load of drills

The rest is spoiler tagged, just in case. ;)

Arc Gurren Lagann - Ideon/Iron Gear sized, fully transforming with static standing and seated GL figures

Hyper Galaxy Gurren Lagann (you know it's coming!) - Big, breaking new boundaries for the SOC line, as my friend put it "the kind of big that makes it cheaper to fly to Japan and get it yourself"! :D

What do you think, mad enough to do the show justice? :D

Episode 25....lots of :ph34r: :ph34r: moments.

Spoiler:

Boota

He has spiral power and powerfull enough to re-energize hypergalactic dai gurren.

Kittan.

This is Kittan episode, it is shown he has powerful spiral energy too by using the giga drill break move using his King Kittan ganmen. He sacrifice himself to destroy the water planet core. Oh yeah, he also kiss Yoko this time.

Yoko.

Yoko kiss is the kiss of death, first Kamina and then Kittan. She has to die in the next 2 episode.

Can't wait for the finale, it going to be battle of the titans with the fully transformed hyper galactic dai-gurren.

Can I just ask, what's all this "GAR" & "Garlock" buisness?

I get that his (totally awesome) costume bears more then a passing resemblance to Captain Harlock's but other then that I'm stumped. :huh:

I believe GAR is from Gao Gai Gar, so basically Garlock is combination of the bravery (or reckless) from Gao Gai Gar with some Harlock coolness. :huh:

Can I just ask, what's all this "GAR" & "Garlock" buisness?

I get that his (totally awesome) costume bears more then a passing resemblance to Captain Harlock's but other then that I'm stumped. :huh:

I'll be able to shed some light on that.

APPARENTLY, The term GAR originally was coined by one of those weirdos on 4chan image boards. He meant to comment that he was "Gay For Archer" but he typoed and instead typed "I am gar for Archer". Archer was in reference to a character in Fate/Stay Night visual novels. Archer was deemed one of anime/game/manga's most manly of men and commands a sense of manliness and heroism that rivals Arnie. His eventual fate apparently caused "manly tears to be shed". The rest was history.

I think the GaoGaiGar reference came later since his name happened to be Gar and he was off hotblooded nature as well and that fit the Gar word.

So now any person with hotblooded manliness can be used with GAR.

I wouldn't usually quote urban dictionary as a source....but it seems accurate in this case. :lol:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=GAR

WOW. More manly tears have been shed.

I can't believe there's only two episodes left and we've YET to see the final form of Gurren Lagann.

There's 27 epsiodes? Cool.

Thanks for the info on the Gar thing guys but GGG's hero is Gai or Guy... isn't it?

Man, all I seem to do on the internet these days is ask questions... :mellow:

Haha....i didn't bother to find out about Gai/Guy. You're probably right. Anyway at a risk of going OT, a more "exaustive" history to the word "GAR".

http://www.lurkmore.com/wiki/index.php?title=GAR

And....my episode 25 is coming along super slow. ARGH!!

*tries XDCC bots instead*

XDCC bots were way faster. Finally watched it. Manly tears were shed. I feel bad for Yoko though that every man she inspires ends up dead. :(

Well now we have Gurren Lagann's ultimate form....more ass kicking in the final 2 episodes. Boota has super spiral powah. Hmm...so can beastmen have the ability to produce spiral energy later on?

PS: the MKV versions of BSS-Anon subs has a joke-subs track. For those who just want to watch the LULZ. XD

The transformation was a bit anticlimatic and vague. :(

I think that was the entire point. You just don't try to top what happens immediately before that. You just stand up, look them right in the eye, and let them know, right down to their core, that the time has come and you most certainly are going to tear them a structurally superfluous new behind. Cut to credits.

Edited by Radd

Well, at last I'm there, I caught up to Gurren Lagann and my god, WHAT A RIDE!

I just watched 20-24 in one sitting and I was floored again and again.

As well as the end I can't wait for the real toys to start hitting the market, Simon's rides alone would keep Bandai's SOC division busy/in business for a whole freaking year.

And with that in mind I thought I'd do a little idle speculation as to how Bandai would go about it. ;)

This is my dream line up:

Lagann - Spec Layzner size, transforms with included figures and movable/swappable facial features as well as drills.

Gurren Lagann - Mazinger size, has a small partially transforming lagann to combine with plus jet pack and an arse load of drills

The rest is spoiler tagged, just in case. ;)

Arc Gurren Lagann - Ideon/Iron Gear sized, fully transforming with static standing and seated GL figures

Hyper Galaxy Gurren Lagann (you know it's coming!) - Big, breaking new boundaries for the SOC line, as my friend put it "the kind of big that makes it cheaper to fly to Japan and get it yourself"! :D

What do you think, mad enough to do the show justice? :D

Hopefully Bandai will get a crack at GL once Konami/Kotobukiya is done with the license.

Their Lagann Impact Model is simply wondeful, but it's sorely lacking any features.

I can only imagine the amount of AWESOMENESS capable from the wizards that gave us Voltes V, Ideon, and Gunbuster.

.....here's hoping it doesn't take TOO long. :ph34r:

Episode 26 summary

Kamina!!!!!

Spoiler (poorly written :lol: ):

The battle with the anti-spiral is a short one demonstrating the power of Chou-ginga Gurren Lagann. Unable to deal with them directly, the anti-spiral attacked their mind by creating an alternate universe. While everyone is hipnotized, an anti-spiral appears before lord genome and Boota jumped to safe him, this results Boota transformed into a man-beast thanks to Genome power. Somehow, Kamina managed to covinced everyone in their alternate universe to remember their purpose and everyone return to their senses. Finally Gurren Lagann burst out from Nia's ring and stand before the anti-spiral.

Oh yeah, did I mention that the anti spiral throw planets at the Chou-Ginga Gurren Lagann (well i think it was planets...) :ph34r:

So the boota conspiracy ppl are right. >_<

But he still lacks the deep commanding voice from episode 1. Anyway this episode was awesome. During the channel switching, one of the channels showed a captain that said "I won't leave this ship" and there was a parody rendition of the gunbuster theme. :lol:

So the boota conspiracy ppl are right. >_<

But he still lacks the deep commanding voice from episode 1. Anyway this episode was awesome. During the channel switching, one of the channels showed a captain that said "I won't leave this ship" and there was a parody rendition of the gunbuster theme. :lol:

I totally missed that!

*goes to watch it again*

Great episode, much better then the disappointing 25.

Episode 25 disappointing? You're a hard man to please!

Compared to the rest at least, aside from the goodbye scene it just seemed like a lot of talking. Particularly from Lord Genome who's necessary to keep explaining everything.

Also the way the previous one ended made me think that the transformation would be the first order of business but then they built it up even more, and still more after that and then when it finally happened it was a bit disappointingly vague.

It takes all types. I think 25 appealed most to people who are really into the characters and the over the top sentimentality of the show, and shifting the focus after such a perfect climax to overshadow it with a transformation sequence would have really dragged that down.