The Gurren Lagann Thread.

To be honest, this show has been going downhill since the midway point (post Helix King arc). Up until the end of episode 21, I was really losing hope for the show b/c part of what made the show so great was that it wasn't typical. It was VERY fast paced, had lots of action, made Heart over Mind a big issue that was continuously followed through, and the show never got boring to me. However, once Rossiu took over and they did the whole execution thing, it was just ridiculous that the people would turn on the hero of the world! That would be like everyone hating Superman b/c aliens attack looking for him eventhough he'll eventually save the planet (honestly, who didn't know that Simon would come back???). I think the writers made a bad choice to severely slow down the story. I think that they could have easily cut down the crappy slow paced "society" episodes to one or two shows and it would have been much better b/c the heart of the show wasn't there (the GAR just disappeared during that arc). Now the show seems back on track, but the damage was already done b/c even though I get pumped watching some of the newer episodes (I'm looking at you #22), it's not as exciting as it was before and I think it's because of the slow paced middle episodes that seemed out of place and very un-GAR-ish, which is basically the thing that makes the show great, so if it's gone, then the show kinda sucks.

At least it's back on track though (and still no signs of the mystery man in the opening episode from what I could see). I still think Kamina's gonna come back in the end and maybe open up a chance for a season two (like fighting in other dimensions or something).

I'm glad someone agrees with me in the lack of logic with the execution bit. Anyway, I just saw episode 23 and I too feel things are getting back on track. I watched the first part of episode 1 again to see if I could figure out who the mystery guy is...I still can't figure it out. Just exactly how many episodes are there supposed to be anyway?

To be honest, this show has been going downhill since the midway point (post Helix King arc). Up until the end of episode 21, I was really losing hope for the show b/c part of what made the show so great was that it wasn't typical. It was VERY fast paced, had lots of action, made Heart over Mind a big issue that was continuously followed through, and the show never got boring to me. However, once Rossiu took over and they did the whole execution thing, it was just ridiculous that the people would turn on the hero of the world! That would be like everyone hating Superman b/c aliens attack looking for him eventhough he'll eventually save the planet (honestly, who didn't know that Simon would come back???). I think the writers made a bad choice to severely slow down the story. I think that they could have easily cut down the crappy slow paced "society" episodes to one or two shows and it would have been much better b/c the heart of the show wasn't there (the GAR just disappeared during that arc). Now the show seems back on track, but the damage was already done b/c even though I get pumped watching some of the newer episodes (I'm looking at you #22), it's not as exciting as it was before and I think it's because of the slow paced middle episodes that seemed out of place and very un-GAR-ish, which is basically the thing that makes the show great, so if it's gone, then the show kinda sucks.

At least it's back on track though (and still no signs of the mystery man in the opening episode from what I could see). I still think Kamina's gonna come back in the end and maybe open up a chance for a season two (like fighting in other dimensions or something).

So you hated the so called "90's arc"?

I believe its all about balance. Too much GAR episodes and the thing would get real old real fast. And the background episodes were necessary to give the world more depth. You can't expect Simon to keep defeating the monster of the week right? ^_^

About hating superman...well... they wouldn't face this predicament if they stayed underground right? Its a "Matrix" scenario. They rather live their ignorant lives underground rather than wait for death to happen. Its underground...but hey...at least we're alive....alives is always better than dead right? A superman example more analogous to simon's situation is like.....Superman killed Lex Luthor who was planning to take over the world....and taking over the world is a bad thing right? But because Lex is dead, his leaderless henchmen decided to start wars around the world and inevitably end the world. Would the world hate Superman? I'd think so, yeah. And they did hate superman a few times in the comics for doing "the right thing". Emo Clark then appears. :lol:

I watched the first part of episode 1 again to see if I could figure out who the mystery guy is...I still can't figure it out. Just exactly how many episodes are there supposed to be anyway?

See my post about Rossiu or Rossiu Jr. arriving through warp just in time to reinforce Simon's fleet. ;)

And there seems to be considerable change from ep 1 simon's uniform to episode 23's. Either they retconned the uniform or what happens in ep 1 is still long off in terms of chronology.

1188701830923qv9.th.png

See my post about Rossiu or Rossiu Jr. arriving through warp just in time to reinforce Simon's fleet. ;)

And there seems to be considerable change from ep 1 simon's uniform to episode 23's. Either they retconned the uniform or what happens in ep 1 is still long off in terms of chronology.

1188701830923qv9.th.png

Speculation doesn't help me much. ;) I figured after watching episode 23 there'd be a clue.

I believe its all about balance. Too much GAR episodes and the thing would get real old real fast. And the background episodes were necessary to give the world more depth. You can't expect Simon to keep defeating the monster of the week right? ^_^

About hating superman...well... they wouldn't face this predicament if they stayed underground right? Its a "Matrix" scenario. They rather live their ignorant lives underground rather than wait for death to happen. Its underground...but hey...at least we're alive....alives is always better than dead right? A superman example more analogous to simon's situation is like.....Superman killed Lex Luthor who was planning to take over the world....and taking over the world is a bad thing right? But because Lex is dead, his leaderless henchmen decided to start wars around the world and inevitably end the world. Would the world hate Superman? I'd think so, yeah. And they did hate superman a few times in the comics for doing "the right thing". Emo Clark then appears. :lol:

I can kinda see how your Superman example works, but I think mine works too. I think the real fault is that the people in the show don't even give him a chance to stop it, they just come to the conclusion that we should kill the guy that has the best chance at saving the planet (b/c he's done it once already).

Edited by protostar8

Guess Simon and Nia dies, thus bad end. XD

But at least humanity is saved. :D

Will Gainax pull 'The End of Gurren Lagann' ? :blink:

Oh yeah, since the cathedral terra didn't bring arc gurren with it, can we expect to see arc gurren lagann again in the next few episode? Or Rossiu will bring reinforcement in form of mass produced arc gurren lagann like those mass produced dai gurren during the battle of teppelin?

It would be awesome if they did :ph34r:

Guess Simon and Nia dies, thus bad end. XD

But at least humanity is saved. :D

I don't really think he'll die. That picture on the left only has him with a cut on his head somewhere (which we've seen people with wounds like that before who are totally fine in the end). The picture on the left looks more like a aftershot/teaser shot of some kind b/c the little kids who are on earth are with Yoko, and why they would be dead is anyone's guess (unless Gainax went nuts and decided to kill all the humans off in the show and let the bad guys win and I just don't see that b/c it would piss off so many people). I honestly think that "Heaven Only Knows" picture is just like the ton of One Piece artwork that comes out that has no real relation to the anime, just kind of passing thoughts the artists had that they thought would look cool.

Just finished episode 24.

A few of Nia fan service in the beginning, followed by a gigantic battle. Arc Gurren lagann is leading the dai gurren brigade against 3 titanic anti-spiral mugan and its 'hand' minions.

SPOILER:

Arc Gurren Lagann returned to Dai Gurren to perform fusion while the dai gurren brigade hold the line. Half of the dai gurren brigade were killed in a glorious way. When dai gurren is about to transform, a huge wave of water swallowed the ship and spiral energy decreasing fast. The episode end with a cliff hanger.

Next episode: Robot mode of the great galaxy dai gurren :ph34r:

A few of Nia fan service in the beginning, followed by a gigantic battle. Arc Gurren lagann is leading the dai gurren brigade against 3 titanic anti-spiral mugan and its 'hand' minions.

SPOILER:

Arc Gurren Lagann returned to Dai Gurren to perform fusion while the dai gurren brigade hold the line. Half of the dai gurren brigade were killed in a glorious way. When dai gurren is about to transform, a huge wave of water swallowed the ship and spiral energy decreasing fast. The episode end with a cliff hanger.

Where are you getting your subs from if you don't mind me asking?

SPOILER:

Just saw it.

WOW. :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Did anyone else see Space Cruiser Yamato homages in there?

Well finally they meet their match. I'm so glad Darry didn't die. :D

Yoko and Kittan seems to have something going on soon....i'm sure Kittan will pull a "I can't be like Kamina....but I would like to try" line somewhere. :lol:

And I thought my mind was playing tricks on me when all the Gurren Dan's mechs were same sized as the Arc Gurren....but noo....somehow Cathedral Terra has some Protoculture manufacturing facilities on board and produced Arc Gurren sized ganmen in a jiffy. 0.o

Now if only they'll kill off Attenborough.....

Yes i hope he dies. Probably in a Grapal or something somewhere. He gets into trouble with some Anti-spirals. His Grapal becomes heavily damaged and a red button flashes in front of him. Everyone tells him not to press it....but Attenborough being him, will go "FIRE!!!" and press it and self destructs taking out the Anti-spiral flagship with him. :D

Crap! I thought this anime wouldn't do the stereotypical kill everyone in the end thing...but it's really looking that way right now and that sucks. But then again, that scene from the first episode, you can here Yoko's voice and see Simon and the mystery guy, so maybe it won't end like that after all??? I can't really identify the other voices.