Destroid Pilot Uniform?

Dax415

Just wondering if there were any mention of what destroid pilots uniforms looked like. Was it the same as valk pilots? The only recollection I have is when Hikaru piloted a destroid and I think he was still wearing his valk pilot suit. Any help would be appreciated.

Interesting question. Being at work at the moment I can't check, but I seem to recall seeing in the TV series one or two scenes of pilots sitting in the Tomahawk cockpit with the hatch open and I think their uniform was the same as a Valk pilot. of course, I could just be imagining it!

Graham

This is also a white version of the uniform shown in another episode. Line art of it is in perfect memory.

Monster pilots have their known specific uniform as well.

Of course! If you're a crewman for the biggest, most powerful, most well protected, and terribly slow mecha the UN can field, you get a special outfit!

While we're on the subject of Destroids, this begs a question.

You're going to be a pilot / crewman aboard the SDF-1. You're going to essentially be a "CF Guy." Knowing that, where do you think your best chances of survival are at, piloting Valkyries or a Destroid?

While we're on the subject of Destroids, this begs a question.

You're going to be a pilot / crewman aboard the SDF-1. You're going to essentially be a "CF Guy." Knowing that, where do you think your best chances of survival are at, piloting Valkyries or a Destroid?

Well, that depends... will I be assigned to one of the 3 destroids that get blown up AGAIN AND AGAIN every time the zentradi attack the ship?

Seriously, it depends on WHICH destroid.

I'd take a Monster assignment in a heartbeat. They aren't even deployed most of the time, and they have enough armor to withstand more of a beating than just about anything else. But if it's a Defender, I'm placing better odds on the Valk.

Well, that depends... will I be assigned to one of the 3 destroids that get blown up AGAIN AND AGAIN every time the zentradi attack the ship?

Seriously, it depends on WHICH destroid.

I'd take a Monster assignment in a heartbeat. They aren't even deployed most of the time, and they have enough armor to withstand more of a beating than just about anything else. But if it's a Defender, I'm placing better odds on the Valk.

I think it's a toss up on which assignment would give you a higher life expectancy. The Defender destroids do tend to get blown up quickly, but we see an awful lot of cannon fodder Valks getting wasted as well. Of course that could be because the main focus of the show is on Valks and their pilots and not on destroids and their pilots. The Valk pilots are thrown out in harms way more often, everytime there is an attack they send up the Valks, but the destroids can sometimes manage to not even fire a shot if the enemy's target allows the Valks to keep them away from the Macross. I agree with the Monster assignment though, they don't get wasted any where near as much as the rest of the Mechs do!

Edited by wldr

I'd go for front line duty all the way. Tomahawk or Defender. I'm not courageous or pyscho, I just wouldn't want to play the waiting game. Its a war and if I'm going to fight and die in it, I'd prefer to die quick and in the thick of things. Like the first time you do something that feels really dangerous to you. Just dive in and do it...it keeps your mind off the other bad stuff :)

I just don't see it working, especially when the big attraction is Valkyries and fighter combat. You take out the sky, you take out Macross IMO.

If a destroid side story was going to work, the mecha would have to be re-imagined. Something along the lines of the Cheyenne from Macross Zero; much faster, more capable and dymanic so they could be properly utilized in mecha action sequences typical of all anime mecha shows.

VF-1A get blown up all the time so = No.

Defenders & Monsters have been shown serving as guns on the Macross and destroyed in doing so.

I'd go with either the Tomahawk, Phalanx or Spartan. On the Macross most of these where assigned for duties inside the ship. Accept for one or two time Zentradi broke in these guys saw little action.

VF-1A get blown up all the time so = No.

Defenders & Monsters have been shown serving as guns on the Macross and destroyed in doing so.

I'd go with either the Tomahawk, Phalanx or Spartan. On the Macross most of these where assigned for duties inside the ship. Accept for one or two time Zentradi broke in these guys saw little action.

I thought the monsters had a 100% survival ratio. They only had 3 of them in the first place, and I'm pretty sure they hauled more than one out for the final battle against the bodol fleet.

I thought the monsters had a 100% survival ratio. They only had 3 of them in the first place, and I'm pretty sure they hauled more than one out for the final battle against the bodol fleet.

See episode #8 one gets trashed I think it that episode.

poor Destroid pilots:(

Most of them suffer the same fate as those VF-11s in Mac7

Don't feel too bad for the average Destroid Pilot.

From my recollections of Macross TV and DYRL?, the Defenders are the only ones that I saw regularly get pasted. Tomahawks, Monsters, Spartans suffer far less casualties.

Valks on the other hand, especially the famous (or infamous?) "CF" VF-1A's get plastered left and right. Occasionally you'll see Destroids get wasted in groups from a well placed attack (i.e. led by Quamzin). But in all other scenes, especially from the view of a main character's cockpit, you see all the other CF wingmen get blasted away one after the other.

Valkyrie pilots face more danger compared to Destroid pilots. Why? Their inherent mobility allows them to be deployed away from their home base or mothership to pursue a goal. By leaving behind the base / mothership, they leave behind the usual protective umbrellas. In the SDF-1's case, the ship's own guns, warhead launchers, Destroid units, and assigned VF cover units.

Destroids, especially during the SDF-1's situation (which I posed the question in), were used almost completely in a defensive manner by supplementing the SDF's mounted weapons. The SDF and Destroids each contributed to a strong defense with the overall goal of the SDF's survival.

Valkyries oftenly had to leave that protective umbrella to conduct a variety of missions (reconaissance, patrols, strikes, interception, etc).

IMO, for the average pilot, a Destroid Pilot had a far higher chance of surviving the entire SDF-1's trip back to Earth and the big orbital battle. Only on very few occasions were they used in an offensive manner and on only ONE occasion did it go FUBAR with that one Zentradi breakthrough. The only other time we see Destroids go "outside" the SDF protective umbrella is during the garrisson duties after the orbital battle where everything's in ruin. In that timeframe, things approached lawlessness in certain areas. That posed certain risks to the forces on duty in those areas. VF's and Destroids faced those problems.

So much for armour. Haha. Now paste an image from mac7 showing those monster pilots as old farts.

I believe they have a similar shot of them in the cockpit.

So much for armour. Haha. Now paste an image from mac7 showing those monster pilots as old farts.

I believe they have a similar shot of them in the cockpit.

Hahaha. I haven't seen all of Mac7 yet, but I remember that scene. Good one wolfx! :lol:

you guys are nuts, as if any of you could resist piloting a transforming jet-bot. There isn't much that could hold me back from that.

As for me i have a theory about Destroids:

They didn't show them much because if they did.. they'd steal the show, what with all the ass kicking that they do. Especially the [robotech] gladiator [/robotech] and their big bear claws, i could watch a episode or two about them ripping up enemy mechs and pulling off zentradi arms! Toss the body up and let a [robotech] Excalibur [/robotech] shoot it full of holes, then send it back to mommy via the monsters main guns.

As for me i have a theory about Destroids:

They didn't show them much because if they did.. they'd steal the show, what with all the ass kicking that they do. Especially the [robotech] gladiator [/robotech] and their big bear claws, i could watch a episode or two about them ripping up enemy mechs and pulling off zentradi arms! Toss the body up and let a [robotech] Excalibur [/robotech] shoot it full of holes, then send it back to mommy via the monsters main guns.

I heartily approve of this theory!

*here comes an avalanche of bs* :p

Actually, when you think about it, KingNor's theory makes much more sense in the context of the war. The SDF-1 Macross only had 212 Valkyries onboard during the outbreak of Space War I, yet had 587 destroids and 120 Ghost fighters. With the SDF-1 Macross basically fighting a defensive conflict for nearly the entire duration of the war, it follows that the destroids did the majority of the fighting. No doubt, this is why we see the destroid forces take such heavy losses in combat since they were likely the primary fighting force of the defensive war conducted by the UN Spacy.

Mwuahahahaha :):lol:

*here comes an avalanche of bs* :p

Actually, when you think about it, KingNor's theory makes much more sense in the context of the war. The SDF-1 Macross only had 212 Valkyries onboard during the outbreak of Space War I, yet had 587 destroids and 120 Ghost fighters. With the SDF-1 Macross basically fighting a defensive conflict for nearly the entire duration of the war, it follows that the destroids did the majority of the fighting. No doubt, this is why we see the destroid forces take such heavy losses in combat since they were likely the primary fighting force of the defensive war conducted by the UN Spacy.

Mwuahahahaha :):lol:

YES!

And let's be honest here, all the Valks were REALLY good for was clearing the way for a Daedalus attack. :p

Seriously, I like the idea. but given the destroids were restricted to operations on or within the Macross and the zentradi units were all spaceflight-capable...

The only ones I think were REALLY effective during the war were the Defender anti-aircraft guns(which were almost perfectly immersed in their element) and Phalanx missile drums(which were jury-rigged hacks intended to support the Defenders). The Monsters weren't fast enough for anti-mech combat or numerous enough for anti-ship combat, and the Tomahawks and Spartans were geared too far towards ground combat.

But with the animators focusing on the VF dogfights, there's no real indicator of how effective any of them might have been.

Heck, we never even got to see the Ghosts, and they should've been out dogfighting with the Valks.