Grand Theft Auto IV

This looks very cool....I hope they bring it out on the 360, when I finally can afford one.

Already confirmed for release on the PS3 and 360.

I am thoroughly underwhelmed. New York has been done to death, and I was really hoping they'd get a little more creative with the setting. Either put it in a more exotic location or put it in a different time period.

While they could just be showing one of the "many" cities of the game... but still yes, New York has been completely done to death. I actually kind of groaned "aw not Liberty City again" when watching the trailer... but from all the rumors and conjecture flying around Liberty could just be one small part of the game.

The Board at Take 2 got overhauled and those anti-video-game-violence moral police nannies are hailing it as a victory.

Is this going to have implications on our cop-shooting drug dealing car jacking games?

No

• 11 months later...

WOW. I can't believe it's been over a year since this thread's been bumped.

With the release only a few weeks away we need to get this party started.

http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/

Newest trailer = http://youtube.com/watch?v=e4yx1s-l6f8

Edited by UN Spacy

• 1 month later...

From what I've seen, single player mode doesn't excite me. I've already played five GTA's where I've had to work as a criminal, commit crimes for $, carjack cars, kill pedestrians and avoid police all in a days work. Regardless of whether pedestrians can report crimes on their cell phones or that Rockstar has revamped the firing system, at its core GTAIV seems to be like all the rest.

However, what I am looking forward to is the online mode. If this mode is balanced, glitch free and fun then I'm sold.

I was excited about this game when I first saw the trailer, but really it's increased exponentially as of late. This game looks to be what GTA should be. I'll probably pick it up on PS3 just because I've played the others on the Sony consoles.

San Andreas was my favorite, so hopefully they take some of the things that made that one awesome to the next level.

I never got "into" San Andreas as much as I did Vice City... but I blame the '90s theme of the game. I was a teen in the '80s and a die hard Miami Vice fan so Vice City was a dream come true while San Andreas was a little too "thug life" for me.

I'm now leaning towards the 360 version right now simply because I'm more comfortable with the 360 controller than the PS3 controller. I have heard rumors (most of which panned out to be fabrications) that the PS3 version has slightly better overall graphical performance but the 360 is getting two special DLC episodes (if the PS3 gets them or different ones is open to debate) plus the "achievements" (that I don't really care that much about).

PS3 is still grossly overpriced, and I don't see alot of games there that wow me. Its lagging behind the Wii and the 360 for a reason.

360 is a piece of junk. Check out the Red Ring of Death reports online. We're talking upward of a 30% failure rate.

I'm waiting for the PC release. Mag in Europe says the fall, but there has been nothing official yet.

Going with PS3 version since Achivements mean nothing to me, and for most games, I prefer the Sony pad. The not having to hope my system dies playing this also ring true.

Edited by Gaijin

I never got "into" San Andreas as much as I did Vice City... but I blame the '90s theme of the game. I was a teen in the '80s and a die hard Miami Vice fan so Vice City was a dream come true while San Andreas was a little too "thug life" for me.

I'm now leaning towards the 360 version right now simply because I'm more comfortable with the 360 controller than the PS3 controller. I have heard rumors (most of which panned out to be fabrications) that the PS3 version has slightly better overall graphical performance but the 360 is getting two special DLC episodes (if the PS3 gets them or different ones is open to debate) plus the "achievements" (that I don't really care that much about).

The immersion really did it for me in San Andreas. Also the majority of the game took place in California, which is I live/grew up.

Achievements are strangely addicting. However, like DMC4, GTA just feels right on Playstation. If the PC San Andreas was any indication though, that would work too.

Its lagging behind the Wii and the 360 for a reason.

I'm not being a PS3 fanboy by saying this, but the PS3 has been picking up momentum lately. Over the past few months its has been consistently outselling 360 in Europe, Japan and "Other" (as they say), and ever since the BluRay "victory" it has been outselling the 360 in the US more often than not on a weekly basis (although most often the difference is in the single digit percentages).

Just pointing out that is not lagging.

Still, on the flipside, I think i may be in the opposite boat than you. PS3 has more exclusive games that interest me, and the ones that are for both systems tend to look and play better on the PS3. When my wife either A- Gives in and lets me buy a new system, or B- leaves town for a conference (like she will the first week in May), I'll probably pick up a PS3 first, especially for Elder Scrolls IV, which I can waste away my summer with (when I'm not going to Barcelona, or the Garden State Craft Brewers Guild Beer Festival, which actually takes place on the back of the USS New Jersey battleship!!!)

Plus, I like the thought of trying to cure cancer with folding@home.

I'm not being a PS3 fanboy by saying this, but the PS3 has been picking up momentum lately. Over the past few months its has been consistently outselling 360 in Europe, Japan and "Other" (as they say), and ever since the BluRay "victory" it has been outselling the 360 in the US more often than not on a weekly basis (although most often the difference is in the single digit percentages).

Just pointing out that is not lagging.

Still, on the flipside, I think i may be in the opposite boat than you. PS3 has more exclusive games that interest me, and the ones that are for both systems tend to look and play better on the PS3. When my wife either A- Gives in and lets me buy a new system, or B- leaves town for a conference (like she will the first week in May), I'll probably pick up a PS3 first, especially for Elder Scrolls IV, which I can waste away my summer with (when I'm not going to Barcelona, or the Garden State Craft Brewers Guild Beer Festival, which actually takes place on the back of the USS New Jersey battleship!!!)

Plus, I like the thought of trying to cure cancer with folding@home.

I can counter your console argument, but this isn't the place. I know this game will perform better on my PC than it will on any of the systems. I know its just a matter of waiting. I have 2 months of vacation going on this summer, I won't miss not having it right away. :)

So I just bought GTA IV. My first GTA game ever and thusfar you can colour me unimpressed. For a game with "Auto" in its title, I dislike the vehicle controls. Use one trigger to accelerate and one to break doesn't work well for me, I prefer having all my controls with the left thumbstick. I'm not totally sold on the open-world concept either. Looks like fun, but...

Anyone else her play it yet?

GTA is an acquired taste to say the least. I know just as many people who love it as hate it. The "trick" with it is that it is both a run and run as well as a driving game so the controls have to bridge the two, which means in the past it has done both decently but neither spectacularly.

I'm still on the fence. It's freaking launch day I'm still undecided.

Reading the reviews they say both systems have equal graphical appearance but everyone keeps saying the "edge" graphics wise goes to the PS3 and most say the anti aliasing and pop in are much better on the PS3 than the Xbox. On the other hand the Xbox has the DLC and I'm more comfortable with that controller.

I'm almost to the point of pulling a Duke and just saying F3ck it I'll wait and get it for PC... but sadly I'm a hardcore jonesing GTA addict and I simply must play this game sooner rather than later. Plus if you think the driving controls are bad with a controller, they are downright abysmal using a mouse and a keyboard. :ph34r:

I'm not too sure about this game also, i've played the previous GTAs for ps2 and i have to say there is little difference in the actual gameplay between them apart from the setting and minor improvements. Even though GTA 4 has better graphics, the gameplay is probably just the same as before. Breaking the law, killing cops and stealing cars is all fun, but does get boring over time. I still play san andreas sometimes, and i'm not in a mad rush for more.

I broke down and went to the show last night.

I had pre-paid for mine and was bored last night so I went to the midnight opening for the sake of the event. I'm glad I did, we showed up at 11:40 there were about 40 people in line. I don't live in a huge city or anything and there are 4 Gamestop/EB stores within 20 miles of my house. Anyhow, we get there and hop in line and some old dude (50's, bald, 320lbs-ish) pulled his beat up Kia SUV onto the curb next to the line, and cranks up Journey's greatest hits and gets out of his ride and begins to Air Guitar and sing along to his favoraite Steve Perry tunes. In between songs he is telling anyone who will listen about his rigorous work-out routine.

The guy obviously had some fairly serious mental issues but it was funny as crap watching him convulse on the sidewalk, I got a couple really blurry crappy cell phone pictures but they don't do this clown justice. The store employees said that he shows up outside there store or to the Target parking lot every couple weeks to blast some Journey at the unsuspecting.

I hadn't considered the "teenagers at their first concert without mommy, Oh, how may cigarettes can I chainsmoke to look cool?" factor but there was only one standing right next to me so I could turn upwind most of the time (a-hat).

Anyhow, after I got home, against my better judgement I loaded up the game (What with work in the am). The opening credits and the intro story were pretty cool, on to the game. I think the driving mechanic felt a lot better than past GTA games, it was no Gran Tourismo, but it doesn't need to be. As soon as I was cut loose in the environment I wanted to get a feel for the action parts of the game. Ran out in the street like a wild dog and found the first person I could and beat him to death, money popped out, check! Oooh, hey look a baseball bat in the alley, oooh a shiney SUV, first jacking, check! The SUV was a wise choice, I mowed down a few park benches full of people with only minor damage and little slowdown for the vehicle. I found a good intersection revved it up and T-Boned the first cop car I saw as fast as possible. As soon as I jumped out another two police cars arrived and one of the officers looked at me funny. He got aluminum across the eyes, instantly 4 stars, I jumped in the nearest passing car (stallion I think) it was a rear wheel drive and had tones of power. I decided to see if I could get the military or secret service on the scene, like past GTA's I think the star rating is limited at the beginning of the game. I mowed dwon 40+ more pedestrians, destoyed a guy on a motorcycle, wrecked two more cars plowing downs cops at every opportunity but no more stars.

I tried to get out of the wanted area but eventually I flipped some shitbox car and was immediately gunned down and shot probably 200 times on the ground, respawn at a hospital. Good times. Hooray for GTA!

PS3 here BTW, handle: Ghadrack but I rarely go online with console games.