CM's Corporation Legioss/TREAD.

Roger

Well, anyone that's not too concerned with being line art accurate may want to buy this version of the flying brick instead. :lol: (Just joking around with this)

Does it come in Red, Green and Blue? :ph34r: No Legioss just the Tread? <_< I almost hit the buy now button. :rolleyes:

Well, anyone that's not too concerned with being line art accurate may want to buy this version of the flying brick instead. :lol: (Just joking around with this)

Looks better than the Toynami/Aoshima, I'll give it that. I want to see battroid mode. ^_^

I'll give you "it looks BUILT better than the Toynami/Aoshima" but otherwise the looks are about the only thing Toynami has going for its Beta right now (if it hasn't slipped back into the realm of vaporware). Too bad Toynami never figured out how to have the cockpit retract into the chest on their Beta 'cause I thought it looked fantastic otherwise.

OK seriously, how many are planning to get it ?

You could start a poll. But I already know how the results would read:

I'm Buying Them All!:.............................................1

I'm Buying At Least One:.............................................5

I'll Wait for Reviews:...................................................7

OMFG CMS IS TEH SUXORZ!!1!![fondels lineart]:...........237

That is sadly true. I'm gonna wait till they come down to a $150 pricepoint till I consider getting one. The fact that it doesnt look exactly like the lineart really doesnt bother me.

I'm buying all... such is the life of a Mospeada completist. This is gonna be an expensive year! Fortunately I have a huge Macross collection I can shrink substantially to afford it. :)

EDIT - This doesn't mean I'm only slightly above the OMFG CMS IS TEH SUXORZ!!1!! I'll try to get at least one of them right after release so I can do a quick and dirty pre-review for everyone.

Edited by jenius

You forgot "I'd rather make a mortgate payment."

But I do find it strange that you think it's unreasonable to expect a $250 toy to look accurate.

I never said that. And that post was what is referred to as a 'joke'. :)

It's a joke in which you mock people who don't think an inaccurate toy is worth $250. Which is fine, but it sure does imply that you don't understand how someone would complain about the look of the toy. This toy wildly, needlessly deviates from the lineart and the TV animation. To recognize that doesn't make someone some sort of lineart nut.

I kinda see Danth's point. There are a few level-headed scenarios and the only one that seems ridiculous are the people who say they're going to pass because the toy isn't at all faithful to what we see in the show. At the very least the person who was getting all three should have been painted in a similarly ridiculous light but in the opposite direction. Really, just about everyone should seem a moron who wrote anything other than "i'll wait for reviews" because what kind of customer makes an uniformed decision???

Admittedly I'm "broken record-ing" here but price is the ultimate deal breaker for me. I can forgive a lot for something that is cheap. I have this sliding scale in my mind... if something costs X then I expect Y. In the case of this toy it costs X ($250) and I expect Y (line art accurate OR a much larger toy). For those who recall my original bile filled rant against the Toynami Alpha the biggest dorito shard in my gumline with that was that it just cost so much for what you got. Had the Toynami Alpha been $30 I probably would not have had such a violent reaction to it when I got mine.

I could easily afford a whole set of all three of these, but I don't like "what I get for that value". $750 buys me a lot of stuff. I'm a Mospeada fan but not a $750 Mospeada fan if you catch my drift. If I found these toys for $100 or even possibly $150 I'd really consider buying them... but as it stands they are just too expensive for what I get.

Geez it's just a plastic toy after all.

I do like the way it looks, not lineart accurate, not as bulky but rather slick and elegant.

Sure it's different. And yes, I agree the intake are ridiculously small, out of scale.

But if you don't like it, buy Toynami.

I bought one (exposed in fighter mode) and I will get CM's red Legioss, keeping it in soldier mode.

But if you don't like it, buy Toynami.

Yeah but what if you don't like that either? (and some already have them, others wanted to get the aoshima ones but they are worse :( )

Come on CMs, please give us a cheaper price already. Eventually other companies will release their own down the line. May as well cut your losses is the way I see it. :D

No can do for me. I just can't justify the hefty price tag for what you get. My money goes to the various ride armors, YF-21 and Omega Supreme this year.

I'm in a similar boat to crasis. While I would LOVE to get one, my toy budget has already pretty much been allocated for the year: to the Megahouse cyclones, a Yf-21, some 25th anniversary Joes, and the new TF animated and Classics 2.0 line.

:ph34r:

it's not just a toy. It's a $250 dollar toy that I've dreamed about owning. But in my dreams it looked a lot better and costs a lot less. I'd buy a Legioss and the Tread for that much, but not with so many compromises. I'd figure it should equal at least 2 1/48s, size and lookwise. And it's neither!

I think many of us are in the same boat.

Sure - I've had some pretty venemous rants about the CM's offering, but even in those I said this would be fine if it were more along the price scale of imported transformers in the same size class. I'd still say it looks funny, but the problems wouldn't be as bothersome.

Even 150 is pushing it a little, but for that price I'd definitely consider it. If I had just stumbled upon it at a hobby shop and it was 150, I'd be excited to see a new rendition of the Mospeada mecha. As it is this is in the price scale of an EXTREMELY high end display piece - I would expect AT LEAST masterpiece transformer or Yamato valkyrie quality. Heck, at this price some people may have even been hoping for Soul of Chogokin quality, especially when you factor in its relatively small size. Instead this is designed to look like a mediocre toy. Perhaps a solid and well constructed toy - but lets face it, many transformers are solid well constructed toys, but they're hardly high end collectibles.

I don't even mind line art innaccuracies, I have a problem with lazy design. A sleeker style? Thats fine, I'm actually all for that - but slimmer looks don't require hollow knees, protruding fins, oddly shaped and little intakes (and thrusters on the forearms) or legs that swing almost all the way out underneath the wings in jet mode. Especially for at least twice the price I would expect.

What makes it more mind boggling to us is that that this design has been out in the open for a while and there has been a lot of time for CM's to hear criticism (I have a hard time believing Japanese fans don't notice the same things we do) and correct the problems (many of which look like they would be incredibly easy fixes).

Sure, you're free to disagree - if this version make you happy, then that's terrific. Again, I just think its wonderful MOSPEADA is finally getting some attention from toymakers - but for many of us it would be a little bit of a letdown considering what has come before and just too painful to the wallet when there are other things out there that impress us more for less money.

Heh, I do have a sense of humor and wasn't really offended by the breakdown of types - but I can see why some people were. I doubt this was because they don't have a sense of humor (I've traded jokes with a couple of them along the way here on Macrossworld) but rather I think it's because they have a sensitive (maybe even oversensitive) sense of fair play. They knew you weren't really trying to insult them seriously, but it was hard to miss that while the joke was on them, it WASN'T directed to the other side. That makes your position look a little smug, and whether that was intentional or not, it rubs some people the wrong way.

Of course, come to think of it, some of our rants probably look a little smug because we're so sure we know what we're talking about - hmmm. Oh well, I guess thats the nature of disagreement - whenever you're lodged in a position its hard to see how that position seems to other people.

Anyway - I do hope Megahouse and Beagle take a crack at this set and don't let it drop because of the disastrous Aoshimas and potentially poor sales on the CM's. There's the potential to make an extremely sucessful toy line here, unfortunately I think some of the transformable mecha designs we've seen over the past few years have set the bar a lot higher than it has been in the past.

I was lucky enough with my Toynamis, so I'm sticking with those. I still miss my Beta/TREAD, but I'm not biting this time. And this is from a guy who bought all four Toynami Alphas despite all the reviews out of sheer fandom and defended CMs throughout the whole design process in hopes for a better rendition. Now I think Toynami's are more worth keeping and displaying compared to what CMs has to offer.

I wanted to buy a Power Loader toy. I read reviews of both Aoshima and Hot Toys offerings, and being Hot Toy's better in almost every way I decided to bite the bullet and get that one (And believe me when I say that neither is exactly cheap here in Mexico City). That thing is such a pleasure to handle and behold, is big as hell, electronic and with great attention to design, engineering and accuracy. All things that the CMs set lacks of and if you look around, you can get it for less. What I mean is it's obvious that CMs could do a lot better, they just didn't care.

I'm not gonna defend myself for not getting one of these, and of course I'm not lecturing those who are, but this is probably the first time I skip a toy of a show I really like, just because it doesn't worth it.

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

WOW! I have the same problem, in all my dreams everything looks better and costs less............... :blink:

Are we still talking about toys?????????????

well in your case your talking about hookers. You wouldnt have to ask if you didnt quote my post out context. numbnuts.

The passionate exaggerations on how 'bad' this toy is are mind-boggling and have reminded me that nothing speaks to people as loudly as a price tag.

Although oddly enough many Macross toys by Yamato are in this price range...yet the complaints for those aren't as wild and accusatory and people in general are relatively forgiving of Yamato's prices. Yeah, no lesson learned, I'm still confused. :lol:

Now, it could just be me but the most expensive Macross toy made by Yamato that I ever bought was the Max and Milia Fast Pack Valkyries... and from what I recall Kevin at Valk Exchange sold them to me for something like $180 or less each inside the US with domestic shipping. They where then and still are today the most expensive Yamato toys I ever bought. Two of them at the same time with shipping went for something like $370 if I remember right. I thought that was way too much to spend on two toys... I really enjoyed those two toys however. They were both quite large in size, very close to the line art in mechanical accuracy and of very good quality. I actually sold them because they were too big and took up too much precious space in my display cabinet.

In other words they had several pluses to offset the ass pain of their price tags. I do not see those same pluses in these smaller, less accurate, more expensive toys. I mean, in my mind these Legioss / Tread sets are about equal to one of those 1/48 VF-1J's with Fast Packs in terms of "what you get", and the Yamato was still $70 some dollars cheaper.

The passionate exaggerations on how 'bad' this toy is are mind-boggling and have reminded me that nothing speaks to people as loudly as a price tag.

Although oddly enough many Macross toys by Yamato are in this price range...yet the complaints for those aren't as wild and accusatory and people in general are relatively forgiving of Yamato's prices. Yeah, no lesson learned, I'm still confused. :lol:

That's not quite true, if you check the toys section, you will see that people over there complains about the asking price of virtually every new Yamato release. They keep buying them because they're great toys, not because they're cheap.

Edit: Spelling.

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

Well, to be fair, there have been entire threads dedicated to ranting about the price of Yamato toys as well - although I think while some are close, most Yamato toys can be had for significantly cheaper than this (they are also larger and somewhat more intricate designs with a lot of small panels and parts).

Actually, you might be suprised to hear that the complaints about Yamato are far MORE wild and accusatory- some people have gone so far as to try to describe Graham as some kind of manipulative corporate flunky (and he let the boy live, Graham is a very forgiving Sith-lord he is!) and others have generated these conspiracy theories of flawless valks going to japan and all the damaged and defective ones being sent overseas. You even get rants about Yamato engaging in price gouging and bait and switch. Heh, two "Shin" VF-0's with totally different color schemes . . . . . Believe me, nothing here compares to the kind of accusations you'll see on a good Yamato rant page - this is actually VERY mild for MW.

Heh, no conspiracy theories or insulting anybody here (at least no intentional or defamatory insults like you see on other threads)- just a bunch of people who have seen better looking designs churned out for a lot of anime properties for less money confused by the enthusiasm of other people who see a fun toy that isn't coming from toynami (who are confused by the criticism of the other people.

I'll try to compare apples to apples and go with a design that will probably have a similar pricetag: Yamato's YF-21. You will get some complaints about the legs being too small on the most recent YF-21 design, but otherwise they wouldn't fit in the compartment without radically changing the profile of the plane. If you go over the rest of the design there are a TON of little details and additions to make it look as good in both modes as possible. A complex hinge system to hide the shoulders in jet mode, a more elaborate folding system for the legs to improve the jet profile, extra panels to help blend in the robot parts, an extra rotation on the landing gear (which have painted interiors), joints in the robot form that maintain the whole shape of the arms and legs when they bend and actually fairly well replicate what you'd expect it to look like if it were real. In short, partly because of Yamato and some other companies, we've come to expect the more expensive anime toys to look about as close to a good display model as it is possible to get - no unnecessary design compromises and a bunch of added details that are only there because the designers are trying to get as close as possible to making it look like "the real thing". CM's has all silver landing gear, hardly any visible panel lines, fins that stick out in robot mode (in spite of the fact that both the Toynami and Gakken designs were able to get them to fit), intakes that look like they don't belong on a jet (much less on the "voluptuous" Legioss) backwards horseshoe bending knees on a hollow leg, a strangely flat and long "necktie" chest piece and foot thrusters that place themselves under the wings instead of to the back of the vehicle. Notice I don't even say anything about the long nose or slender design - I'm actually okay with "stylizing" (but I can also see why others would want the more blocky, tough/functional look from most painted visions of the vehicle). In short, you've got two variable fighter designs: one that does a whole lot to get it to look as good as possible, and another that doesn't even seem to do as much as what came before. We KNOW that better looking designs are possible - and I'm not even talking line-art accuracy here, I'm just talking about looking like a reasonably realistic jet and a reasonably realistic robot (although admittedly talking realism on a fantasy robot pushes things a bit, there is such a thing as verisimilitude).

All we have to work with at this point is photographs, so we really can't be comparing QC (although by all accounts the QC on Yamatos most recent releases have been spot on). But if you compare the photos side by side, which one looks more like a display piece, the Yamato Valk or the CM's Legios? Granted, looks are only skin deep, but right now thats what we've got to work with. Generally Yamato is both loved and cursed by people on this board because they have outright beautiful design work, but sometimes the execution falls short of what is expected for the price-tag.

This would be an okay toy - again, if I saw the legioss alone I'd say it compares visually to many transformers (some of the classics line actually made fewer compromises). With its size that would make it a ten dollar toy in the U.S., maybe twenty or thirty coming from Japan. The opening missle panels and functional landing gear take it a little over that. I'm actually a lot happier with the tread, it has some compromises but nowhere near as many as the legioss, but again the connection system is awkward and is largely exposed metal (looks reasonably solid, but otherwise very contrived).

I would have a hard time saying the quality on this is equivalent to similarly priced toys - again, I haven't held it but it makes an AWFUL lot of UNNECESSARY compromises. That and the reviews of CM's ride armor (which have made it sound tremendously fragile and fiddly) make me suspect that this is going to be as floppy and frail as it looks (I hope not).

Believe me, many here would spend the money on this, maybe even more IF the design looked like CM's had honestly tried as hard as they possibly could to make this look and function as well as possible. Instead it looks, well, kind of half a$$ed (would donkeyed work better here?). It doesn't look like the designers really care about the mecha. Again, not even talking about lineart accuracy - it doesn't look "convincing" in any mode. Heh, maybe that makes us crazy fanboys, but lets face it: who are you targeting with a 250-300 dollar replica if not the crazy fanboys?