Yamato 1/60 scale YF-19 problem thread.

Wicked Ace

Just what we need, another -19 thread. :) Anyway, I'd like to address the primary, big, debilitating, sorrow-inducing, major problem experienced by some -- the fuselage problem. I posted a picture of what to look for in Graham's review thread, but I suspect it will escape some, as the thread has grown to 50 pages as of now.

I hope this thread is allowed to remain, not to induce panic or Yamato-bashing, but to inform. I hope this is helpful. If you have stress marks (or a break), please post up so that we can find out how widespread this is -- hopefully we only have a few, isolated cases; also please include when (approximate date) you ordered or received your impaired -19. For those that have a -19, here's what to look for: white stress marks under the black screw heads.

post-1617-1169706610_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wicked Ace

My 1/60 YF19 has stress marks on the grey plastics halves of the fuselage hinge, one of them is cracked. The left side of my fuselage surface also sustained minor white stress marks on the tan plastic. I got mine on 15/12/06.

Btw, I have been one of Yamato's long time supporter and I've got almost all of their Macross products. Almost all because so said ineptitude. If my rants and postings are to be seen as bashing by Yamato, then to bad for them. I'll just have more money to spent on something else.

My 1/60 YF19 has stress marks on the grey plastics halves of the fuselage hinge, one of them is cracked. The left side of my fuselage surface also sustained minor white stress marks on the tan plastic. I got mine on 15/12/06.

Btw, I have been one of Yamato's long time supporter and I've got almost all of their Macross products. Almost all because so said ineptitude. If my rants and postings are to be seen as bashing by Yamato, then to bad for them. I'll just have more money to spent on something else.

Just for the record, my plea to not rant/bash was not directed at any member personally. I know you've got a reputation to protect ;) , but I just didn't want this thread closed as a result of "Yamato sucks, just cuz" type posts. Thank you for posting your experience and the date -- there are at least a couple of members who think this might be a "bad batch" thing.

I got the same stress marks as Wicked Ace. Not sure if they came from first attempt at transforming it or was there before. Meaning it could of happen on my first tug. After that I decided to transform along with Graham's footage. Looking at the fight I then discovered the marks. Doesn't look too serious. I think someone just screwed it too tight.

I think I have the stress mark as well. I'll try taking the screw out one of these days to see if it's as bad as some of the yf-19s we've been seeing.

I've transformed mine more than a few times without any issue and mine is certainly not as tough as DH's.

Hi all,

same here: stress marks before the very first transformation. Has anybody said loosing the two screws would alleviate the situation?

Regards,

Manu

Loosening the screws will worsen the problem in the long run becoz the grey plastic halves are suppose to be as tightly attached to the tan plastic as possible - I tried loosening mine but they were glue on as well.

Here's something to think about - what happens should the screw threads on the tan plastics' side get worn down and they no longer hold the black metal screws and they won't tighten no more no matter how we try to fasten it?

-what happens should the screw threads on the tan plastics' side get worn down and they no longer hold the black metal screws and they won't tighten no more no matter how we try to fasten it?

Then...you get a $200 fighter mode '19?

I think the strees mark on the grey block is common on all YF-19 and if you don't have the mark, you will after a couple of transformations.

Yamato made a mistake designing this type of dettaching mechanism. That grey block should've been made of metal. Maybe magnets could have worked better, who knows.

Since the 1/48 VF, all Yamato toys designs are excellent including the Garland and Scopedog, it is just the poor choice of plastics and not using metals on crucial parts that diminishes the value of the toy.

No matter how good the Yamato transforming toys look, they should not cost more than US$100.

I think the strees mark on the grey block is common on all YF-19 and if you don't have the mark, you will after a couple of transformations.

Yamato made a mistake designing this type of dettaching mechanism. That grey block should've been made of metal. Maybe magnets could have worked better, who knows.

Since the 1/48 VF, all Yamato toys designs are excellent including the Garland and Scopedog, it is just the poor choice of plastics and not using metals on crucial parts that diminishes the value of the toy.

No matter how good the Yamato transforming toys look, they should not cost more than US$100.

Either metal or they could have just used a washer to fit between the gret block and the screw. Really a big problem is that the screws in general are too tight. One of the shoulder inter covers popped out on me. Since my fingers were having trouble popping it back in I decided to loosen the screw on the shoulder. The screw wasn't budging at first. I suspect all the screws are too tight.

Alright I just checked mine for the VERY first time (which has stayed in Fighter Mode ever since it arrived two weeks ago).

Stress marks on both sides. I loosened the screws about four or five turns.

Alright I just checked mine for the VERY first time (which has stayed in Fighter Mode ever since it arrived two weeks ago).

Stress marks on both sides. I loosened the screws about four or five turns.

Just so we all understand you fully, when you say "stayed in Fighter Mode," do you mean your -19 has never been transformed? Or, did you notice the stress marks after your first transformation?

Just so we all understand you fully, when you say "stayed in Fighter Mode," do you mean your -19 has never been transformed? Or, did you notice the stress marks after your first transformation?

Never transformed.

Right when I opened up the lower cockpit area (for the very first time) I noticed the stress marks.

Which IMHO was due to overtightening of the screws. :(

Never transformed.

Right when I opened up the lower cockpit area (for the very first time) I noticed the stress marks.

Which IMHO was due to overtightening of the screws. :(

I've suspected the parts in question were stressed before transformation but had no proof, until you and mcpaz posted up. To me, with benefit of Graham's video guide, Yamato's how-to pictures, and numerous posts on the subject, writing this problem off as a few people who just can't transform their toys right didn't seem right.

Edited by Wicked Ace

Here's something to think about - what happens should the screw threads on the tan plastics' side get worn down and they no longer hold the black metal screws and they won't tighten no more no matter how we try to fasten it?

try your best not to strip the plastic.

make sure when you go to tighten the screws again, its using the same threads created from the very first time the screws were put in.

its not hard to tell, the screw should go in pretty easily and shouldn't require much torque to tighten.

if you have to use force, then you not in the right groove.

i hope that makes sense?

Of the four that i got only one was able to transform without a hitch.

I had to cut those three's tan Nubs down

One super hard to wiggle loose, but now its a breeze.

I got them on 01/22/07.

Well, mine just broke, big time! On the right arm the uh.....(my digital camera is broken so u guys are gonna have to bear with me here) part that the sliding gray peice covers when transformed in fighter mode completey broke in half and came off. I wasnt really doing anything to god awful hard to it either, i was just moving the arm around. Sigh, guess I'm gonna have to start asking around for a full right arm replacement peice.

Edited by dizman

Well, mine just broke, big time! On the right arm the uh.....(my digital camera is broken so u guys are gonna have to bear with me here) part that the sliding gray peice covers when transformed in fighter mode completey broke in half and came off. I wasnt really doing anything to god awful hard to it either, i was just moving the arm around. Sigh, guess I'm gonna have to start asking around for a full right arm replacement peice.

An arm problem? Please take a picture for us, when you can.

FOR MY IS NOT A BIG PROBLEM BECAUSE I´LL GIVE A METAL BATH AND READY BUT FOR THE PRICE (HERE IN MEXICO IS ARROUND OF $300 DOLLARS) I HOPE A BETTER QUALITY

ouch... that sucks.

Anyone on this site have access to one of those big aluminum cutting machines that could machine us some replacement parts?

Anyone on this site have access to one of those big aluminum cutting machines that could machine us some replacement parts?

Forgive me guys, I don't actually own one of these, but these parts are internal right? If so, wouldn't just any color of super hard resin work?

Forgive me guys, I don't actually own one of these, but these parts are internal right? If so, wouldn't just any color of super hard resin work?

no, you're right. Any good, hard resin would work in this case. I just like machined aluminum parts :p

Edited by eugimon

I find this discussion surprising, since I've got a -19 that I've transformed quite a few times (15-20 times, I'd guess) with no stress marks whatsoever... Tiny bit of paint wear on that tab, of course, but no stress.

It's a first-run unit, I got it a few days after the official release.

I have sanded down the pegs a bit, but only because I was scaring myself, with the amount of force I had to use. (After building featherweight balsa RC aircraft for years, using pounds of force on a model/toy was a terrifying experience.)

~Luke