Yamato 1/60 scale YF-19 problem thread.

Wicked Ace

Yf-19 right wheel hinge snapped on me, so it looks like I will have to glue the wheel leg into place.

I just would like to know, do the rear wheels lock at a vertical 90 degree (like the 1/48) or the awkward 70 degree angle that needs modifying?

Yf-19 right wheel hinge snapped on me, so it looks like I will have to glue the wheel leg into place.

I just would like to know, do the rear wheels lock at a vertical 90 degree (like the 1/48) or the awkward 70 degree angle that needs modifying?

more or less, it should sit at a 70 degree angle but nowhere near 90.

the peg the red arrow is pointing to should rest where the blue arrow is pointing to, which keeps the LG from collapsing.

[attachmentid=40228]

hope that makes sense.

post-206-1170789220_thumb.jpg

Edited by do not disturb

While I agree that the last 3 Yamato big releases Konig Monster, VF-0S, and YF-19 are fantastic pieces of engineering, too little thought was put into the materials. I don't know how much they spend on the engineering part, but these toys are nearly 99% ABS. Sometimes its just adviseable to use metal drop-in parts for connectors. Anywhere you have hard plastic on hard plastic movement, its going to have negative consequences (stress, breakage, etc). Takatoku figured this out and Bandai perfected it. IMO they should put metal tabs that go into plastic holes IMO, that way the tabs will be less likely to break.

Personally, I think the spring-loaded ratchet joints of the shoulders, knees and hips of the chunky monkeys are the biggest and best engineering achievement in all Macross toydom. Unfortunately Yamato did not see fit to copy this. Ratcheting joints can prevent the NEED for a bunch of tabs as the spring helps to keep the parts in place.

This is one good example why we'll never see quality material improvements from Yamato. Sure, they can use the US blockade as an excuse. But for someone like you to make it for them... I couldn't begin to make out if this kind of love for Yamato's product especially at their current sad state is Brand loyalty or blind devotion - the kind that's worse than submission with a gun held to the head, LOL!

But you decide for yourself clyde01. It's your right. Same as it is my right to post. ;)

you fail to see the point. you do not have a right to post rants here when the thread specifically forbids it in the title. b!thcing and whining does not make the situation any better. all it does is pour salt on the wound, which does nothing for anybody.

this thread was started with the purpose of gaging the scope of a quality control issue on the 19 so we could have graham address the issue to yamato. it was created so we could get something constructive out of it, i.e. yamato looking into the issue, releasing improvements on later versions, possibly getting out replacement parts to areas not controlled by hard gay. however, all you do when you post here is b!tch and whine. what does that do besides annoy everyone, regardless of whether they agree with you or not? i'm not happy with yamato's QC either. in fact, all of their 1st issues have had problems, without fail. but just because i don't b!tch and whine like you makes me a "blind loyalist?" others have posted here that yamato has offered support for US buyers that bought some toy called the garland, i think that's proof enough that if hard gay wasn't around yamato would support it's macross buyers in the US as well.

this is a thread created by yamato customers for yamato customers. yet, all you do is come on here and whine whine whine "yamato suck yamato suck" over and over again. that is the same as a robotech whore signing on to a macross forum for the sole purpose of flaming.

and i'm cyde01, not clyde

LMAO yes forbids.. :lol:

you must be under 21, I hope.... :unsure:

wth now i get ridiculed? no i'm 26 actually and i don't see what that has to do with anything.

the title specifically says "let's not use this as a thread to rant in." he added that because he doesn't want the thread locked. and now you and bob go ahead and do exactly what he said not to do with your "turd" comments. if you hate the 19 so much leave this thread alone and let it get back on topic. :angry:

edit:

Yes I'm a hater :rolleyes:

hater=flamer

flamer=someone who does not deserve to be posting on a forum

Edited by cyde01

All those who have complaints: everything you buy has a little risk when it is just an upstart company learning. So long as they try to improve on the product that means the promise of something better. But you got to wait.

VF-1 had the loose nosecone, Qrau was slightly improved, 1/72 vf11 had weak parts which don't show up till later. This is the equivalent of how an early adoptor who bought an xbox or ps2 may undergo some problems that are not present in later manufactured systems. Or how some bugs might get patched up on a piece of software because the software was rushed out, and the makers didn't foresee problems into the future. (try playing an online game where everyone is forced to cheat because patches and fixes have not been made yet)

How I deal with it: I just tell myself you should never expect things to always go ok on the first attempt. Assume the worst and take a conservative approach and be more laid back. If you don't expect some imperfection you will only let yourself down. It's not that these toys aren't expensive, we can all agree that they are. It's just that sometimes it's not just a case of throwing "more money" at a problem to fix that problem. It might just need more time and effort on the part of the manufacturer to listen to thier customer to get the required feedback to fix before knowing everything and having a perfect release with little to no issues. (ie 1/48 VF-1 for eg. This thing destroys the toynamis! Even if expensive or overpriced I would still come back for more because it fulfills all the things I want to see in a detailed toy of the mecha - but it has had more time so later buyers benefit from feedback of the early adoptors who were there on first releases to point out any issues. No different to people out there who bought a high definition TV for a much more expensive price than it would be worth if they had waited for prices to fall and new technology to supercede the old, because they wanted it NOW. If you jump in early and are impatient you should expect to take a loss somewhere that a late adopter won't because they were more patient or held back for a little longer. Occassionally you will get benefits like less seam lines or the fact that you could own it before others, but these are outweighed later by changes in stickers, joints that are less floppy, and material changes to reinforce some pieces that were weaknesses of the first release.)

Whenever a company like nintendo releases a new system (the nintendo ds lite with better screen than the original) I don't say "boo!" "you ripped me off because I wasted money on the original", I cheer that an improvement was made and hope the improvement keeps coming. There was nothing wrong with the original but waiting can definately have advantages. That doesn't mean that if you were not happy you have to swear off future purchases from that company forever. I think that is going a bit too far because you are not giving chance that whatever problems you experienced won't be addressed in future. Sure the original GBA that nintendo released had a dark screen and poor lighting problems, but look at the ones today and look at the improvements made to battery life and screen brightness. There is always hope for future releases to fix things. I'd rather be an optimist. I take this same attitude with expensive toys: wait, be conservative, but not go to one extreme and not trust the company again just because of a few minor flaws in the beginning. If you do that then it wouldn't surprise me that there is "nothing new made for macross", because it would be naturally assumed through poor sales that nobody wants the toys made. (as opposed to wanting them made but demanding high degree of quality before putting up the cash - a problem I have with toynami alphas. I freaking love the alpha but just have a high demand for that alpha to not break before I fork over the cash. If toynami one day improve enough so that the alpha CAN hold together and stand the test of time, then they can have my money.)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

All those who have complaints: everything you buy has a little risk when it is just an upstart company learning. So long as they try to improve on the product that means the promise of something better. But you got to wait.

VF-1 had the loose nosecone, Qrau was slightly improved, 1/72 vf11 had weak parts which don't show up till later. This is the equivalent of how an early adoptor who bought an xbox or ps2 may undergo some problems that are not present in later manufactured systems. Or how some bugs might get patched up on a piece of software because the software was rushed out, and the makers didn't foresee problems into the future. (try playing an online game where everyone is forced to cheat because patches and fixes have not been made yet)

How I deal with it: I just tell myself you should never expect things to always go ok on the first attempt. Assume the worst and take a conservative approach and be more laid back. If you don't expect some imperfection you will only let yourself down. It's not that these toys aren't expensive, we can all agree that they are. It's just that sometimes it's not just a case of throwing "more money" at a problem to fix that problem. It might just need more time and effort on the part of the manufacturer to listen to thier customer to get the required feedback to fix before knowing everything and having a perfect release with little to no issues. (ie 1/48 VF-1 for eg. This thing destroys the toynamis! Even if expensive or overpriced I would still come back for more because it fulfills all the things I want to see in a detailed toy of the mecha - but it has had more time so later buyers benefit from feedback of the early adoptors who were there on first releases to point out any issues. No different to people out there who bought a high definition TV for a much more expensive price than it would be worth if they had waited for prices to fall and new technology to supercede the old, because they wanted it NOW. If you jump in early and are impatient you should expect to take a loss somewhere that a late adopter won't because they were more patient or held back for a little longer. Occassionally you will get benefits like less seam lines or the fact that you could own it before others, but these are outweighed later by changes in stickers, joints that are less floppy, and material changes to reinforce some pieces that were weaknesses of the first release.)

Whenever a company like nintendo releases a new system (the nintendo ds lite with better screen than the original) I don't say "boo!" "you ripped me off because I wasted money on the original", I cheer that an improvement was made and hope the improvement keeps coming. There was nothing wrong with the original but waiting can definately have advantages. That doesn't mean that if you were not happy you have to swear off future purchases from that company forever. I think that is going a bit too far because you are not giving chance that whatever problems you experienced won't be addressed in future. Sure the original GBA that nintendo released had a dark screen and poor lighting problems, but look at the ones today. There is always hope for future releases to fix things. I'd rather be an optimist. I take this same attitude with expensive toys: wait, be conservative, but not go to one extreme and not trust the company again just because of a few minor flaws in the beginning.

The reason a lot of the fans are irritated is because Yamato has had 6 years to learn. They are a small company yes, but by no means an upstart. A lot of problems, and I mean a LOT, started dissapearing once the 1/48 was released, the main problem with that were some toys missing parts.

I can see it both ways. Since legally Yamato cannot cater to us, they cannot offer us replacement parts like they did with their garland. Well that sucks. Buying anything macross from a japanese company is a gamble, and I don't think any fan, be it in japan, or out of japan likes buying a product prone to eventual breakage. Its mentioned earlier in this thread that most of yamato's recent releases are almost 99% ABS and that hard plastic to hard plastic contact can result in breakage, what I think should be done is rigorous play testing; studying the durability of parts both externally AND internally. And heck its simple to say no japanese fans complain/experience breakages when most of us have no way of verifying that or not(most of us in this forum do not speak nor read japanese so going on a japanese BBS is a lost cause for those who do not read/speak japanese.)*Not to mention there are very few members on this forum that do know japanese and actually go to those japanese bbs' and translate what they say*.

And I 2nd the notion of ratchets, those things rarely loosen as much as ball joints. Not to mention would probably not lead to shoulder breakage like on the VF-0 toys.

Yeah I often wonder if the japanese buyers would have taken the risk of buying the toys if they had been told they would get no support for broken pieces.

But there is nothing you can do, apart from praying and hoping it doesn't snap or break one day or just hoping somebody can sell the spare parts. But if people say: "I won't buy any yamato toys ever again forever because of the problem", that is a bit extreme. They will be missing out on some great toys. Insted put that negtivity to good use by posting pics or offering suggestions on what could be done instead of the usual complaint of "yamato sucks, toynami rules". I don't care who made it, as long as the final product is good and hold together. I would gladly buy an overpriced alpha if the thing held together. No brand loyalty from me. If HG benefit from my purchase I don't stress that I'm helping a company that is normally seen as evil by macrossworlders. That is the difference between complaints:

1. Some complain because they know how much potential for improvement there could have been and didn't see it in the initial release. (even if it was in the making for 6 years, does it take into account wear and tear that could only happen when thousands of people are trialed? As some mentioned, problems sometimes only arise after the first release because the makers of the product didn't forsee these problems as being problems in the beginning when making it and they go unnoticed until years later. Software bugs might only pop up AFTER thousands of people use the software everyday for years even after bug testing. Bug testing is in no way a "garuantee" that you won't have ANY bugs. But it helps. I'm just saying nobody's perfect.)

2. Others do it (complain) only as a knee jerk reaction because they rule out that a future improvements would be made in the future and swear off the company forever. Ok so the konig monster is bit delicate here and there, but I'm still glad an attempt was made to bring out a toy of this. Maybe the experience they gain can be used for future releases to avoid the problems faced from prior releases? Having a light toy may help with posability, (and its big and people demand details) but if the materials are too brittle, it might mean the plastic snaps for those who are not careful. But how careful is the "average joe"? You'll only know from experience. Experience doesn't come from just predicting what will go wrong, you have to try it first before knowing right? There are some things you learn better after doing them and making mistakes, versus being told them and knowing everything from the beginning. Most people have to make a mistake first and then learn that way than just knowing how to be perfect on thier first attempt at something.

Yeah I often wonder if the japanese buyers would have taken the risk of buying the toys if they had been told they would get no support for broken pieces.

But there is nothing you can do, apart from praying and hoping it doesn't snap or break one day or just hoping somebody can sell the spare parts. But if people say: "I won't buy any yamato toys ever again forever because of the problem", that is a bit extreme. They will be missing out on some great toys. Insted put that negtivity to good use by posting pics or offering suggestions on what could be done instead of the usual complaint of "yamato sucks, toynami rules". I don't care who made it, as long as the final product is good and hold together. I would gladly buy an overpriced alpha if the thing held together. No brand loyalty from me. If HG benefit from my purchase I don't stress that I'm helping a company that is normally seen as evil by macrossworlders. That is the difference between complaints:

Some complain because they know how much potential for improvement there could have been and didn't see it

Others do it only as a knee jerk reaction because they rule out that a future improvment would be made in the future and swear off the company forever. Ok so the konig monster is bit delicate here and there, but I'm still glad an attempt was made to bring out a toy of this. Maybe the experience they gain can be used for future releases to avoid the problems faced from prior releases.

Honestly I don't think anyone here ever said Toynami rules. I can almost say that for sure. I am a fan of the wait and see approach and I am not alone on this. Judging by the recent YF-19 and VF-0 breakages, I am glad I am waiting. No matter how many people take this approach or how many people swear off the products, one thing is for certain; there will always be buyers whether 1st buyers or ones that wait. So we need not worry on how we affect sales.

And that last sentence? Some of the fans here have been thinking thats what Yamato has been or should have been doing the whole time. Honestly I was surprised by the whole VF-0 breakage in the shoulders.

Honestly I was surprised by the whole VF-0 breakage in the shoulders.

I was thinking that if this gets fixed, hopefully mistakes can be avoided with future things like vf11. If yamato take thier time, not only will it give people more time to save up thier money, but mean better chances of not repeating the mistake and more customer satisfaction. Some people's toys might not break at all on first opening them up and then they leave it on the shelf for ages without touching and pick it up one day and "snap!" something will break.

I'm glad the problems are happening early so fixes can be made to avoid more people getting them. So that's what I mean by having all the negative complainers use thier criticism constructively to help. If it can't be helped (due to not buying from HLJ or HG blocking things) no point getting angry, right? The question is: What are you going to DO about it to stop it from happening to others? Why not write a negative review, post it on the web so noobs to yamato toys get a more balanced opinion and can make a more informed decision? Maybe this will "frighten" the company to address the problem more quickly than had they only heard about it from a select few members of a small community? Your negative experiences are as valid as anyone elses and people look for as many different opinions they can get to know which releases are worth buying.

Just don't write comments like: "yamato toys sucks" and then not tell us why, not show pics, or explain how it was handled, and what you are comparing the sturdiness of the toy to. (chunky monkey is a unfair comparison imo because it is less detailed, less posable, and is a toy for kids) People will tend to write you off as just a nitpicker trolling the boards to piss fans off. You can still hate the product and like the toy, but be specific about what you didn't like so others can know if it is just your taste that is different or a flaw with the toy you bought. For example many people will just assume adding diecast "improves everything" but I hate having a heavy toy that can't stand up and the battroid mode suffers when trying to pose on a stand. (legs will always droop down) This was why I didn't like the yf-21. Too damn heavy. Others might complain that the shoulders are too weak, but that is a flaw. Not a taste thing. We need to seperate the people who are telling us something sucks because "it is not to my taste", with the people that are saying something sucks because "I like the toy a lot but it is breaking up on me and could easily be improved." leading to not being satisfied with it for durability reasons. There is a subtle difference. Because people in the latter category will still buy the toy if the improvments are made and people in the former just hate the company and won't buy anything regardless. (these are the brand loyalists who have specific reasons for hating something like a toy not having a certain amount of diecast, not being rare enough to be worth "collecting", being out of thier price range in comparison to other toys of similar size and scale etc)

This is one of the reasons you have people say witty things like: "If you dont like it don't buy stupid. Duh!" That may not work for people who want a high quality toy but don't mind paying a lot for it. It would be like saying to a collector "if you don't like masterpiece starscream don't buy transformers duh" One doesn't have to "not buy something" to not be given the right to wish for something better with time. You might not buy something, but still wish for that thing that you didn't buy to be improved before wanting to buy it. I won't buy an alpha not because I hate toynami (I don't hate toynami out of some loyalty to yamato or other toy companies) but more because I want a toy like it, that just doesn't fall apart. It's a big enough difference for the company that is being criticised to pay attention to, as the fans who put up the money are still going to be there with potential to pay more for future releases when feedback is listened to, vs the guy who just doesn't want to see more toys made by that company period and writes them off early. But as we've seen: toynami got voltron masterpiece right didn't they? Yamato screwed up with garland didn't they? It's not as simple as just saying something sucks based on label or brand and to "avoid buying products from that company and shut up" You take each thing on a case by case basis.

I don't babysit this thread for a few hours and look what happens. :) This went from a "got problems here, and got my -19 on such-and-such date" thread to seemingly emotional exchanges. Oh well, I'm not mad. :D

I do realize that people have strong feelings about expensive toys breaking on them. I wasn't happy about my -19 breaking. This may seem odd (or plain stupid) to many, but knowing what I know about the -19, I'd have still bought one and fixed it -- I like it that much.

I hope this thread stays open so others can know what to look out for when buying a -19. Also, as the title of the thread suggests, I disagree with Graham that this is a "minor" problem; I believe the posted pics by a few members of broken parts which allow the fuselage to become detached from the rest of the -19 is a major problem. Luckily, most seem to have the stress marks rather than the breakage, and I hope this thread has been of some help, as it's better to discover the problem early and not have to repair the break.

We did ask a lot of questions. I guess it's a long report. Plus, I guess that Graham wants to put a lot of detail in his writing, I've noticed that he's not a bad writer.

I'm sure he would have had some questions that he missed out on after his last meeting (mid January) that he wanted answered too. this report might take awhile.

That, and also the fact that he might be doing it from a hospital, where he is admitted for alcohol intoxication. Back ages ago around when Macross Zero just finished, from what I gathered of his report, they party pretty hard.

How I deal with it: I just tell myself you should never expect things to always go ok on the first attempt. Assume the worst and take a conservative approach and be more laid back. If you don't expect some imperfection you will only let yourself down.

That might be some of the worst advice/reasoning I've ever read on Macross World. I should tell that to my customers....I'd be out of business.

I don't buy Yamato toys anymore but I really thought about buying a 1/60 YF-19. With all problems I'll wait or won't even bother. Which is a shame for me since I love the YF-19 design. Just because Yamato YF-19 is the only game in town doesn't mean I have to rush out and buy it.

That might be some of the worst advice/reasoning I've ever read on Macross World. I should tell that to my customers....I'd be out of business.

..but a noob to yamato toys (looking for advice) might rely on it. Why should they take a massive risk on something that they can't get support on? It's not the same as megazone 23 or votoms. Those are ok. It's just macross due to the HG issue that you 've got to be extra paranoid and play conservatively for. Even with toynami's you at least have the ability to get a replacement piece. It's only those who go in knowing the risks, want the toy now, and can live with the minor issues that really imo shouldn't worry so much. ie those who may have bought say a konig monster, fell in love with it, bought a case of them, and tend to leave it in the box (no need to open all of them) and only occasionally transform one of them for display and then leave it alone for months at a time. Some people are quite happy just buying them as collector items and that's it. (like the toynami masterpieces which really if you are one of the MIB collectors you shouldn't be opening up at all. That's probably why the box looks so nice on the outside. :p if you never opened it, then "what you don't know, can't hurt ya")

This is no different from say people who hold thier money off 1 year before buying an xbox360 console because they know the early one have issues with noise and that the next round will use quieter drives and wait for the benefits of the later ones, knowing and being aware of the problems beforehand. That doesn't mean they are necessarily better off, (they can't play any games for 1 year) but in the long term it is a wiser choice and the payoff for being patient is worth it imo.

I don't buy Yamato toys anymore but I really thought about buying a 1/60 YF-19. With all problems I'll wait or won't even bother. Which is a shame for me since I love the YF-19 design. Just because Yamato YF-19 is the only game in town doesn't mean I have to rush out and buy it.

When you go into a shop like clothing store or a shoe shop, you can at least try on the good before deciding on whether to buy them. When you buy a product from some places and discover the quality isn't up to claimed standards, you can go back to the place for a return. When you buy a game at electronics boutique or whatever you have a 7 day garuantee that if the game isn't to your liking you can exchange it for something a bit more to your tastes.

When you buy online you can only go on graham's reviews and other people's impressions and not your own. For macross, the risk is a little bit higher than normal, (not yamato's fault) but this shouldn't change your long term buying habit so long as thier attitude is to keep improving. That's the stance I take. Rather than get angry and constantly say I won't buy another yamato toy again (and then keep buying them) I would rather they take thier time, try to fix whatever early issues there are and hopefully let other fans benefit from it when those improvements get put into the toy. Whether its negative or positive feedback it's all good in the grand scheme of things if the issues do get addressed. Yeah people do have a right to be angry, I'm not saying they shouldn't but just getting emotional won't do stuff. There's not much fans outside japan can do but support companies that do make macross toys and hope standards get better for later releases as we are seeing now with the change in materials, slightly better stickers, more details, and attempts to stiffen some joints for posability. It all counts in the long term.

Honestly I was surprised by the whole VF-0 breakage in the shoulders.

Even Yamato was surprised by the reports of VF-0 shoulder and bicep swivel breakages on Macrossworld. These didn't show up during testing and don't seem to have been reported in Japan (as yet).

A harmful chemical reaction between the ABS and rubber parts, which weakens the ABS causing it to become brittle and crack is suspected. The arm should not crack so easily.

Graham

I'm going to allow this thread to stay open for a while, as long as members restrict themselves to discussing any problems and fixes for the 1/60 YF-19 toy.

This thread is not to be used as a let's bash Yamato thread. Neither is the thread to be used for members to insult each other.

I'm also editing the topic title to remove the word 'MAJOR'. I suspect some of the high emotions witnessed here may have been caused by the topic title, which IMO is somewhat misleading.

Graham

There are several things we need to make clear:-

1) Yamato isn't a small company. You're no longer considered small by any standards once they compete with other toy companies selling anything above the USD100 mark imo.

2) Yamato's problem has always been their bad choice of material. Build Quality & Finishing. This led to breakage & stress marks problems with nearly ALL their products. This isn't their first day on the job. After 6 years or so and the learning-on-the-job experiences, it can be considered an MAJOR attitude problem because Yamato not only didn't improve their game, the same "Make 'em, Wait and see then Fix'em later as we Charge 'em" attitude still persist.

3) About the HG / US market blockade, that makes it all the more imperative that Yamato should make damn sure everything they release fit the bill of whatever price we paid - right off the bat. Other toy companies have done so without such excuses.

4) We have always been so patient, we supply this forum with feedback, criticism on Yamato's products. We get nothing but the vague guarantees that fixes will be done. And we have to buy them again because Yamato is only selling the fixes on the new versions.

5) Put yourselves in the position where you are / allowed to / can only afford one new toy release by Yamato. On top of that, you live outside of Japan. When they screw up then make fixes, where does that put you?

6) Why are we so tolerant? Yamato is underperforming and we make excuses for them. If they are just starting out we may find their ineptitude cute; this is more than 6 years later. Yamato spent what - 4 years developing the YF19 - one might expect them to fvck-up on some out of this world transformation process, but NO, they fvcked-up on the stupidest mistakes like the crooked gunpod, non-locking battriod chestplate, limp gerwalk, landing geras that cannot deploy properly, BAD choice build material... etc.

On being a hater, we have haters that love the way Yamato's Macross toys look but hate their build quality and finishing, we also have hater that hate Yamato outright because Yamato's design team is pulling all the weight but their production team is doing jackshite and this has never change.

Maybe I should just be indifferent because when that's the exact opposite of love. Either way, Yamato wins.

I just believe we deserve better. I sincerely do.

Edited by Beware of Blast

But see BoB, thats not how u come across, at least to me. Especially the last couple of weeks, it has seemed almost liem a perverse pleasure for u to pop up in a thread and give a litle "fcuk u Yamato" in some way or another. When Graham asked what questions we wanted answered, u listed a whole bunch of joke/insult questions. Thats not constructive.

4) We have always been so patient, we supply this forum with feedback, criticism on Yamato's products. We get nothing but the vague guarantees that fixes will be done. And we have to buy them again because Yamato is only selling the fixes on the new versions.

No we don't. We dont have to buy anything. You can get vf-1s elsewhere. granted zeros and the m+ stuff is just Yamato, but u could alwyas buya model kit.

We all CHOOSE to buy these toys.If u have one break onn you somehow, or they have a design fault, thats cool. Send it back

if it happens again, then u have 3 choices; live with it, try to fix it, or take it back and pass on the product. batty and moan till yamato offer a solution, batty and moan about the solution and then batty and moan onc eu have it that it should hvave been right the first time is fine for awhile, but after awhile id be starting to wonder why u bought it in the first place. and THEN why you KEEP buying their stuff.

If u are that let down by them, stop buying!

But see BoB, thats not how u come across, at least to me. Especially the last couple of weeks, it has seemed almost liem a perverse pleasure for u to pop up in a thread and give a litle "fcuk u Yamato" in some way or another. When Graham asked what questions we wanted answered, u listed a whole bunch of joke/insult questions. Thats not constructive.

No we don't. We dont have to buy anything. You can get vf-1s elsewhere. granted zeros and the m+ stuff is just Yamato, but u could alwyas buya model kit.

We all CHOOSE to buy these toys.If u have one break onn you somehow, or they have a design fault, thats cool. Send it back

if it happens again, then u have 3 choices; live with it, try to fix it, or take it back and pass on the product. batty and moan till yamato offer a solution, batty and moan about the solution and then batty and moan onc eu have it that it should hvave been right the first time is fine for awhile, but after awhile id be starting to wonder why u bought it in the first place. and THEN why you KEEP buying their stuff.

If u are that let down by them, stop buying!

I find it an insult that we're still subjected to subpar Yamato products that we're paying a premium to get. I do throw insult, cynical statements but never a point black "fcuk u Yamato". As insulting as my posts are, they do contain valid points on my POV as a consumer. Should Yamato deserve better? I see retards learning faster, so no. Most companies have to pay to get their perfprmance feedback, positive or no. Yamato is considered lucky in this respect.

If they are going to panhandle for exposure and feedback here but can't accept deserving harsh critisism, maybe they should make baby products.

My message has been, STOP SHORTCHANGNG YOURSELVES.

But maybe you're right I should stop buying.

Even Yamato was surprised by the reports of VF-0 shoulder and bicep swivel breakages on Macrossworld. These didn't show up during testing and don't seem to have been reported in Japan (as yet).

A harmful chemical reaction between the ABS and rubber parts, which weakens the ABS causing it to become brittle and crack is suspected. The arm should not crack so easily.

Graham

Graham, could future releases have POM in areas of tension? I think that might solve the majority of problems. I realize it is hard to paint, however, it seems that most of the parts that would benefit from POM construction are parts that are either internal, or only needed to be molded in one color. For example:shoulders, hips, folding mechanisms, parts with small tabs; small pieces in general. I suggest ratchets as well....my 1/48's shoulders loosened after a while, and ratchets in general loosen a lot slower than ball joints.

In my experience the rubber eroding over time leads to looseness, another reason why I recommend ratchets.

Graham, could future releases have POM in areas of tension? I think that might solve the majority of problems. I realize it is hard to paint, however, it seems that most of the parts that would benefit from POM construction are parts that are either internal, or only needed to be molded in one color. For example:shoulders, hips, folding mechanisms, parts with small tabs; small pieces in general. I suggest ratchets as well....my 1/48's shoulders loosened after a while, and ratchets in general loosen a lot slower than ball joints.

In my experience the rubber eroding over time leads to looseness, another reason why I recommend ratchets.

I'd second this request. ABS is just a cheap plastic and doesn't handle mechanical stresses very well. Durability and longevity should be more important than modability... these things are toys first and foremost. And while I love a good custom as much as the next guy, I would rather have joints that don't break.

I'm also editing the topic title to remove the word 'MAJOR'. I suspect some of the high emotions witnessed here may have been caused by the topic title, which IMO is somewhat misleading.

Graham

My intent with including the word "MAJOR" (in all caps) was to keep the thread free of "my gunpod is crooked," "my landing gear isn't right, " or "not enough panel lines" type gripes. To me, these are not major problems. However, fuselage or shoulder breaking off is a major problem, at least to me.

Edited by Wicked Ace

The problem with putting 'MAJOR' in caps in the thread title, is people see it and start panicking and thinking the toy is crap, when it's not.

Parts are not breaking off on the YF-19. The two small stress marks or cracks in the grey areas under the cockpit do not prevent you from transforming or playing with the toy.

Shoulders and bicep swivels breaking on the VF-0 is a major issue, but that is the VF-0. This is a YF-19 thread.

Graham

The following issues with the YF-19 have been reported by multiple sources, so can be considered genuine problems. Personally, I don't consider any of the reported problems as major.

1) Wonky gunpod: minor aesthetic problem only. Easily fixed by owner. To be fixed by Yamato on later versions of toy. It's a shame this slipped through the checks, but it did. At least it is easily fixed.

2) Stress marks or cracks appearing around the two screws in the grey plastic area under the cockpit: Does not compromise structural integrity of toy. Does not prevent transformation. Is not even visible in Fighter, Battroid or Gerwalk modes. Possible causes: 1) Over tightening of screws during assembly at factory, 2) incorrect application of force by owner during transformation, 3) material defect or incorrect choice of material by factory (ABS not strong enough for stresses imposed)? Factory will hopefully change material or redesign affected area for easier transformation.

3) Left shoulder flap detaches too easily when fully extended. Pretty much every toy from every manufacturer (Bandai, Takaraa, Max Factory, etc, etc) has small parts that do not attach firmly enough and fall off too easily. A very minor issue. Hopefully, to be fixed on later issues.

4) Rear landing Gear unable to cant outwards. This was a design decision by the factory, not a QC problem, therefore not a genuine issue. It is easily modified by those that desire outwarded canted rear landing gear.

Short of a part snapping in two or plastic crumbling away and a limb dropping off (ala VF-0A), none of the above are major issues in my book.

Graham