Yamato 1/60 scale YF-19 problem thread.

Wicked Ace

• 2 weeks later...

At least they give you spares.

As for me, the left shoulder was very floppy. Upon closer inspection, I saw a break on the plastic which held the elbow joint to the shoulder, the one which gets covered by the sheaths.

had a problem with mine, first the sent me a 19 with two right hands which was later solved then the forearms bacame loose and I couldn't get the shoulder loose to screw it back on only to realized that they over threaded it when they screwed it in therefore rendering impossible to srew it back in so I superglued it back together the landigng geard still face inward instead of out, and the leg joints have gotten so loose that it pops out from the fuselage. And the gunpod sits crooked, the first issue sucked makes me wonder should I get the Double Nuts since someone gave a good review.

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

I haven't transformed my 19 and probably never will. I can't bare the thought of breaking something else cause I paid so much for this thing. But if I ever want to see how the 19 looks in battroid mode, I just take out my 1/72 YF-19.

Edited by Muzaffar

• 1 month later...
because the v.2 VF-1's are awesome, and the YF-21 is awesome, and the VF-11 is awesome.

the YF-19's the only one that's really bad.

imo, it's only bad in comparison to what came after... granted, nugundamII, it helps if you actually know how to transform it and you keep the toys away from the wall.

At least the YF-19 DOES snap together quite "definitively" in fighter mode, unlike the 3D puzzle that the YF-21 is. The YF-21 is more like "averaging out all the various gaps so that none suddenly split open really wide" rather than truly getting it together.

At least the YF-19 DOES snap together quite "definitively" in fighter mode, unlike the 3D puzzle that the YF-21 is. The YF-21 is more like "averaging out all the various gaps so that none suddenly split open really wide" rather than truly getting it together.

yeah... it's easy to tell if and what you did wrong on the yf-19... again, nugundamII, what YOU did wrong.

The 1/60 YF-19, despite the bad quality and floppiness, for me looks the most pleasing in all 3 modes. The valks that comes after except for the YF-21, namely the V.2 1/60 VF1, VF11B all look unfinished and unpleasant because of the sides of the battroid torso are hollow; something that can definitely be addressed with side parts at least. Alas, I have to contend with this ugliness for now until Yamato decides to intervene or I buy them from a member here.

@ cent, my YF-19's left thigh is glued while the right one is not. :wacko: But you can take the glued one apart by prying them open very gently. You simply need to wedge something in between and drive the wedge in bit by bit (patiently) until the two halves come apart.

The 1/60 YF-19, despite the bad quality and floppiness, for me looks the most pleasing in all 3 modes. The valks that comes after except for the YF-21, namely the V.2 1/60 VF1, VF11B all look unfinished and unpleasant because of the sides of the battroid torso are hollow; something that can definitely be addressed with side parts at least. Alas, I have to contend with this ugliness for now until Yamato decides to intervene or I buy them from a member here.

@ cent, my YF-19's left thigh is glued while the right one is not. :wacko: But you can take the glued one apart by prying them open very gently. You simply need to wedge something in between and drive the wedge in bit by bit (patiently) until the two halves come apart.

Hey thanks, my left wing root was getting a little loose, and I pryed open the thigh a little bit, without even breaking the glue seal in front of the intakes. Just remove the screw and slowly lift it open. I stuck in a long screwdriver to reach the root screw inside and got it tightened up like new. Thanks :3

imo, it's only bad in comparison to what came after... granted, nugundamII, it helps if you actually know how to transform it and you keep the toys away from the wall.

your assuming me not being able to transform toys is as valid as me assuming your an idiot

Which is greater or lesser.

Its nothing to do with transformation and everything to do with keeping the armor on and not coming off with a kiss of the wind.

The wall was not what broke it. It was design that was broken and the final coup de gras was the design breaking my patience. The wall had no factor in it.

In an ironic twist it pretty much came unscathed. It would have been nice if it fixed the armor to remain on the plane.

Its not just defined to the 19

we have shoulder breakage in v2 1/60s, Floppy wings in the Ivenov and guess what.....shoulder breakage in the 0.....

thats a dam lot of shoulder breakage.

hmmm

Actually, choosing a plastic that doesn't break may be harder! Especially given that the parts are moulded in colour, which means that they have to use dyes etc. To see if a piece of plastic will break if you torque it after say 5 years, you actually do have to leave it there 5 years and then torque it--- there is no way of testing the material any other way that will allow you to extrapolate the life cycle. Yamato does have many, many problems with its engineering design and maybe choice of plastics, I'm just saying that in this ONE instance, they really should not be blamed.

I mean, you could demand that Yamato leaves a hundred YF-19s in their basement for 5 years before transforming once to see if it cracks, and then doing a statistical analysis to see if they should really use POM for that part, but that wouldn't get you anywhere. :p

Man, of course you don’t need to wait 5 years! hehe :lol: you can simulate situations like those in a lab, like every company does before selling something, you can define what is the failure stress of the material and the amount of stress the figure receives in every transformation, besides when you use a material you have a lot of data like that, about material's resistance even if you don’t touch it in a lot of time, Yamato isn’t creating new plastics, just designing figures and very bad, because they only are focus in the look of the piece and not in fracture mechanics to understand the causes of failures...it is so sad that Yamato has serious problems in this department. :unsure:

It's not as simple as that.. there are human factors like the understandable workers over tightening screws or not inserting pins correctly and then there's the unforeseen like some factory manager trying to come in under budget and using substandard materials instead of the more expensive ones paid for by the company.

Even HUGE companies like hasbro and matel have recalls due to material failures.. hell, even the recent bandai DX line has it's oqn QC and manufacturing problems.

Yes it is.

We are talking about design and you can simulate situations like those, but other factor of course is the quality department IN THE FACTORY, and if you start with a bad design your QD is not gonna be very good and man, please, I’m a Transformers collector too, Hasbro is one of the worse companies in the quality department, I strongly suggest use Takara as reference, instead of Hasbro.

But Bandai is different, and you are so right, even the HUGE Bandai has problems in QD, but in desing and material's resistance is different, a lot of pieces of Bandai are designed to resist the stress in the transformation, they have a very good design, but Yamato doesn’t do that, problems of Bandai are more about paint (QD), and yes even failures like this screw of VF-25 but there is a loooooong way with Yamatos problems like crack shoulders, shoulders that cant resistance several transformations (even one), thats a big desing problem and if the company isnt capable of control the quality deparment....

Of course talking about Macross, because Bandai has desing problems in other pieces like some Myth Cloth but thats an OT. :lol:

Edited by DarkEyes

Okay, let's use Takara. My 1st release MP Convoy came with loose ankles that can barely support the figure when standing ram rod straight, chrome paint spilled all over the top of the cab and one of the diecast chest doors bent to the point where the locking tab is useless and consequently swings open at the slightest provocation, there's no way to have the hand firmly hold the gun in place and from what I've read the more recent releases of the Convoy sculpt introduced more QC and fit issues. The MP SS wing assembly is prone to stress marks and cracking because they inscribed a panel line right over the part of the joint that receives the most stress.

The fact of the matter is, other than a few isolated incidents, most of the complaints about the yf-19 aren't design issues but a mix of user error or people wanting features it just doesn't have and wasn't designed to have.

Much better :lol: and exactly, ok your Convoy example isn’t worked here because thats a QD problem, so sorry about that, ALL of mine are perfect and (to me) he is the only one who could be named Masterpiece (well maybe not the only one, I don’t own Grimlock yet), all the others "Masterpieces" have design problems.

Even GREAT companies like Takara have design problems, I wanna talk about that Masterpiece Seekers mold, thanks for introducing the topic, all of them have the same problem that Yamatos pieces "extremely nice looking but don’t touch me very much because I break into pieces", that is not a QD problem, not, it is a problem with the design, the desing isnt capable of resisting transformation.

The fact of the matter is that Yamato has problems, big problems with the designs, not only with YF-19, other models too since several years, special atention to crack shoulders, plus QD in the factories is other factor.

Edited by DarkEyes