1/60 VF-1's decent toys?

hutch

I've not found nearly as much information/reviews about these than the 1/48's.

I was considering buying a couple (probably the Max/Milla Supers since I can't hope to own the 1/48's unless they reissue them) next to a 1/60 VF-19 and VF-0 series.

Are they decent toys? What are the major issues with the 1/60 1's?

If this is covered somewhere else, just direct me there and accept my apologies for a redundant thread.

THANKS!

The 1/60 VF-1 is a mixed bag. Excluding the 1S head, it's proportions are more accurate to the lineart than the 1/48's and 1/55's. The 1/60 also has much better hands/fists than the 1/48's rat claws. The die-cast metal also gives it a real nice weight!

On the downside is the 1/60's transformation. Several parts need to be removed (heatshield/canopy, legs, nosecone plug) and Gerwalk mode can be floppy due to the way the legs attach to the body. For this reason I consider the VF-1 1/60 to be a model/toy hybrid since it reminds me of the old Bandai models which required you to remove so many parts to transform.

One last thing to consider is that the DYRL Hikaru 1A, Max 1A, Roy 1S (non-FP version), and brown 1A cannot be equipped with Fast Packs. <_<

go to the link in my sig Luke... search the content Luke.

Thanks man. I'll take a look at your 1/60 reviews.

I've seen your site before, it was what convinced me to buy my first 1/48 and then to go on and buy 3 more!

Thinking about it now, I don't know if I should be thanking you or not

:lol:

I think the 1/60's have gotten a bad rap since the 1/48 series were released. It's by far the most complete line as far as canon designs are concerned, and I happen to think the proportions in battroid are superior to the 1/48. Much cheaper, as well. Also, as LurkerX mentioned, they're in scale with all of the known upcoming releases.

i love my 1/60s! i have all of them including customs.

i'd consider selling one of my 1/48's long before selling one of my 1/60's. the 1/48's are the shiznit but the 1/60 line is complete and its also what i started out with.

the only way i'd sell my 1/60's is if they fetched 1/48-esque prices, other than that hells no!

I think I paid $75 each for my supers and $85 for my strike (and it came in a beat-up box after the post office got done their apparent game of soccer with it... d'oh!). Speaking of my site, I'm pretty sure I'll be updating many of these 1/60 reviews now that I have launch arms and am busting out the 1/60s for my launch arm review anyway. My first reviews didn't do the subtle differences between them justice. My advice? Eh, if Yamato weren't doing everything else in 1/60 I'd say steer clear of 'em. There really isn't a single aspect to them I find very endearing other than their size and level of detail considering the size. That's not to say they're terrible in anyway, I could just think of better ways of spending $75-$85 (for supers). Since Yamato is making everything in 1/60 scale though it's pretty easy to get the completist bug.

Edited by jenius

While searching around for advice about beginnger figures, I thought I could drop this question here. Sorry if it's a bit off topic. Would you guys say the 1/60 valks be a good start off for newcomers like me? I'm in the process of getting my first figure myself from Bigkid24 I think. Just wondering. I've read some reviews, but I'll be searching for more info on them later. :lol:

Is ~$100 a decent price for the Max and Milla Supers? (1/60)

not exactly, the 1/60 super max and miria have become just as hard to find as the 1/48, and their price have sortas gone up if you want them new. and i have seen them WAYYYYY overpriced but noone else seems to be selling them...

but the proper price should be around 80bucks each

I just paid $75 us for my 1/60 1a Max, but that included shipping to Australia. They're pretty cheap.

They look ok. I wouldnt say they're awesome, but they are far from terrible. Im hoping Yamato will redo some 1/60 VF-1's, but thats an argument thats been had across multiple threads already.

Id say get em if u can find em.

The 1/60's are the only two seaters other than the custom kits. More importantly if scale is important all the new M+ and zero valks are 1/60.

You can even find a 1/60 Sea Hawk. Now all we need is a 1/60 scale F-14 and Mig-29.

The head is ugly but I now wish I had bought a 1/60 VF-1S strike.

Yamato can get more of my money with an improved re-issue.

I enjoy the 1/60s for their much better over proportions, especially the Battroid mode. While the Gerwalk is more limited than the 1/48, it is by no means a slouch if you're willing to play with the toy and discover the best ways to pose it. Check my post on the 'Strike A Pose' thread :-)

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...st&p=425650

The weakest part of the 1/60 is not the fact that you have to detach the legs for the transformation, but that the hip joints have NO locking systems - the pegs just slide into a smooth slot, and can just as easily slip out during play.

So, do buy your favorites (except the 1S with its squashed head) if you want to have some VF-1s in-scale with the newer VFs, but don't overpay for any of them. Yamato may just pull a complete 1/60 revision someday.

1/60s. They do look good in fighter mode.

Like others said the legs are the weakest part of it.

If Yamato does decide to re-visit I guess it would be something I'd buy.

Although I think it would drive the price of the current ones down.

It would be nice to able to modify the nose section to accept / connect the legs

in away that doesnt have them fall over. and getting rid of the large

edit: perhaps theres someone thats already tried this.

see pic:

post-3216-1169091140_thumb.jpg

Edited by Macross73

I like the 1/60 VF-1's quite a bit. If I find a Max VF-1J for a good price I'd like to have one (since the 1/48 is way too much).

IMHO, the 1/48 has a better fighter mode due almost purely to the way the backpack is between the legs, rather than above. That's the main difference. But the 1/60 is sleeker on the lower half (no low-hanging arms), has no movable/breakable flaps or nosecone, no BP-8 problems, no arm-armor problems in fighter mode, etc. There really are no "issues" with the 1/60. It's simply a bit more "crude"---most noticeable with all the little rockets and verniers in the FAST packs.

The 1/48's appear to be superior in just about every way, but it seems that Yamato is favoring the 1/60's again.

There are very few items in the Macross universe that work well in a 1/48 scale. Macross favors very large items (just like the original bad guys themselves) so 1/60 is a much more sensible choice for most future releases. Someone once listed the items that made sense in a 1/48 and I think it was like three fighters long with only the VF-11 making sense at any scale between 1/60 and 1/48. Basically, you go with a 1/48 if you want the ultimate representation of the VF-1. You go with a 1/60 if you want toys to play with in line scale-wise with likely most future Macross toys.

The fact so many MWers want a re-issued 1/60 that isn't so lame and that most people who disagree with that thinking only do so out of economical or selfish concerns (and that's not to say I don't entirely empathize with them) ought to tell you the prevailing opinion on the 1/60 VF-1.

No one has brought this up yet, but there is also serious design flaw with shoulders and chest plate.

The shoulders can't do a full 360 degree rotation because the chest plate is in the way.

In fact I don't even think it can do a forward 45 degrees and don't even bother trying 90...

No one has brought this up yet, but there is also serious design flaw with shoulders and chest plate.

The shoulders can't do a full 360 degree rotation because the chest plate is in the way.

In fact I don't even think it can do a forward 45 degrees and don't even bother trying 90...

Oh that. You can fix that problem with a screwdriver and an exacto knife(shoulder mod).

Way down the road I'd buy a re-done 1/60 VF-1 that incorporates all the advances in Valkyrie toy technology. But if Yamato did that right now, my money would go elsewhere and I'd blow-chunks from VF-1poisoning. :p:lol:

I wouldn't want to see a re-done 1/60 VF-1 until after the entire M+ line is redone, the VFX line has been used a while, and we get a VF-4 and VF-5000.

Ok I did a search. I am finally to the point of re-displaying my 1/60th Yammies into the fighter mode and am curious about the gun and adding it underneath the fighter. In the directions it shows the handle of the gun is able to move up into the gun and then attach between the arms. On my various Valks, the handles do not move. The lover part of the pistol grip is also too long to fit into the area with the pin that is made into the arms to hold the gun. Or at least the hole in the guns is too high up on the grip. Anyone else have this problem?

Ok I did a search. I am finally to the point of re-displaying my 1/60th Yammies into the fighter mode and am curious about the gun and adding it underneath the fighter. In the directions it shows the handle of the gun is able to move up into the gun and then attach between the arms. On my various Valks, the handles do not move. The lover part of the pistol grip is also too long to fit into the area with the pin that is made into the arms to hold the gun. Or at least the hole in the guns is too high up on the grip. Anyone else have this problem?

The earlier 1/60's don't have the movable handle grips. The ones that do move are tricky. You have to tilt the handle 45 degrees and try to slide it into the gun.