Graham's Review of Yamato 1/60 Scale YF-19

Graham

got my YF-19, then Fixed the landing gear angel problem and the gunpod positioning problem.

IPB Image

IPB Image

1. about the rear landing gear, actually , the production design are the same with the VF-0,

but yamato stupid haven't make room for the landing gear to rotate outward, so, just simply use a modelling hand drill to drill a little hole make room for it.

2. about the gunpod, the problem is the plastic of the handle part are too "elastic" and a little bit thin,

so , I took out my old plastic ruler then cut out a small strip , then stick it on the handle, make one of the corner become thicker to get balance.

just a few minute works and make it fine~ ^_^

So did I. Pretty damn sure(75%) I ordered it the day the preorder went up, definitely within the first business week. (complete speculation here) I think HLJ didn't get any stock for the YF-19 yet(distributor problem or something) but since they know we know it was supposed to be out on the 7th they slapped on the re-stock december notice on their website....or they got so little stock that after the employees got their cut there wasn't any left.

I also ordered on the first day and did not get one.

HLJ does this sometimes with items that are released on Fridays. I am almost certain that everyone who has the YF-19 preordered with them has this message on their account. Basically, it means "We have the items in stock, but it is Friday so we can not start the shipping process until Monday." They probably do this to keep people from click on the "ship all items in stock & wait for the rest button" over the weekend. How many impatient people do you think would click that option on Saturday if they saw it listed as instock, but NOT in order processing? I'm willing bet a lot of people would. ;)

The temptation is there but everyone who did an Early Bird will probably get a shipping notice next week so I'll be patient for once

Thanks as usual Graham for all your previews of these toys. I still remember the days of 7-8 years ago when you posted the previews of the very first Yamato aka Toycom VF-11 pictures on alt.fan.macross and yeah, that looked like a standard HK balcony to me with the pink tiles and humid growth. :)

The pictures were well done. It's too bad we never saw prototype pics of the "more fragile" but perhaps more elegant or nicer looking design you mentioned.

I think I'll wait on purchasing this to see if the gunpod issue is fixed. Also, I've mentioned several times but I would have prefered a longer neck or longer wings even if they contest with the Kawamori lineart but I realized sleekness like the Hasegawa is nearly impossible. This is a good compromise design.

Am I the only one who feels it's a little to creamy though?

Looking forward to Graham's videoguide. They always are oddly entertaining with the combination of English wit and oddly satisfying clicking noises of transformation.

Edited by ComicKaze

This is out now?!?! I haven't had the chance to pick up a VF-0A!

Thanks for the review Graham. 7 years since the 1/72 YF-19 release... that was a while back

got my YF-19, then Fixed the landing gear angel problem and the gunpod positioning problem.

1. about the rear landing gear, actually , the production design are the same with the VF-0,

but yamato stupid haven't make room for the landing gear to rotate outward, so, just simply use a modelling hand drill to drill a little hole make room for it.

2. about the gunpod, the problem is the plastic of the handle part are too "elastic" and a little bit thin,

so , I took out my old plastic ruler then cut out a small strip , then stick it on the handle, make one of the corner become thicker to get balance.

just a few minute works and make it fine~ ^_^

You are my HERO Hayao!!!!

I think you'll be everyone's hero once you post some pics on exactly how you fixed it. :D:D:D:D

Please post the how-to pics mate! Cheers! :D I am glad it is not the modifying of the 19 itself. Just the Pod ha! :lol:

So i'm deffinently getting '2' in 4 days and counting.

:edit: ohh and does the extra bit of plastic added to the pod make the holding of the gunpod itself worse?

I spose not as you mentioning it was too "elastic" or soft before the fix.. i guess.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I want one now!!

what's a good price for the 19??? i've seen a couple on ebay, but the shipping costs are over the top...

A good price will not be available for quite some time... From what I've seen and heard now these things cost the same as a VF-0 but are accumulating massive mark-ups on their transition to the states.

HLJ does this sometimes with items that are released on Fridays. I am almost certain that everyone who has the YF-19 preordered with them has this message on their account. Basically, it means "We have the items in stock, but it is Friday so we can not start the shipping process until Monday." They probably do this to keep people from click on the "ship all items in stock & wait for the rest button" over the weekend. How many impatient people do you think would click that option on Saturday if they saw it listed as instock, but NOT in order processing? I'm willing bet a lot of people would. ;)

I've had orders just sit there for a week otherwise. I always have to click on the "ship all orders". What a PITA. This might be the last time I order from HLJ. My MP Starscream took a long time to ship for something that was supposedly in stock. :rolleyes:

-Ed

I want one now!!

what's a good price for the 19??? i've seen a couple on ebay, but the shipping costs are over the top...

Well..I believe it was like $159 at action-hq, but with shipping it'll be like another $25-$35 depending if you want it regular airmail or express. And the last time I looked, it was still in stock as of today..

http://www.action-hq.com/store/product_inf...roducts_id=2576

Just filmed (or tried to film) the three transformation video guides as follows: -

1) Fighter to battroid.

2) Battroid to fighter.

3) fighter to gerwalk.

Each video is supposed to be 5-6 minutes long. Unfortunately, I didn't know that my camera automatically powers down after 3 minutes (no way to set it longer) and I didn't realise this while I was filming. I was filming without an assistant so had nobody to tell me the camera was powering off :angry: .

Unfortuantely, this means that each video is incomplete as it's missing the latter half.

I'll try again tomorrow, perhaps at a higher resolution as well.

I've only uploaded the first one so far.

You can see it here:

YF-19 Video Transformation Guide - Fighter to Battroid Mode (incomplete)

Let me know what you think?

Graham

Just filmed (or tried to film) the three transformation video guides as follows: -

You cane see it here:

Graham

Awesome job, Graham. It's much bigger than I expected. Hopefully, I'll get mine before Christmas. Otherwise, I'll wait until my birthday this February.

Unfortunately, I think the answer is none.

The backs of the wings clearly butt up against the sides of the legs in Fighter mode making any kind of backward swing impossible.

IPB Image

It would've been neat if there was a way to pull the legs down into Gerwalk mode, swing the wings back, and then put the legs back up leaving the Fighter in a permanent/locked high speed mode, but it doesn't look like that's going to be possible, either. Anime magic, my friend.

I'm not disappointed about a lack of wing mobility since I never expected it in the first place and also since it's hardly ever featured in Mac +.

I did however expect a straight gun pod, so that still disappoints me a lot.

Thanks Vic, that clarifies my doubt. It´s a shame really as i´m sure there was more than one way to get this done on the toy before release, afterall as Graham says, they´ve been working on this baby for years. Nevermind, it´s something i´ll have to live with for the sake of having this baby.

edit: BTW, Graham, the video was great , I lol´ed hard at the "Pull forward. Pull back and hinge down" part after reading Roy´s comment ^_^ , now we have our own Youtube star at MW and noone else but the ¨i´m not allowed to reveal the details¨-man, our very own Graham ( that´s not sarcasm btw, well , maybe a little bit ^_^)

Edited by Aegis!

You can see it here:

Graham

Really appreciate the work you're putting into all this, Graham.

It looks so much better as a real 3 dimensional object.

Will it take another official updated version for the crooked gun pod to be fixed or can we expect minor adjustments before then for a seond batch?

Graham

wow graham you really do sound british. i coulda sworn i've seen you use the americanized spelling of certain words, but oh well.

can you do the next one in a cockney accent? haha jp

Why not include the fix with the FP & Fold Booster pack?

Come on, it's the bloody least they can do. >_>

Is the handle even able to be replaced with a new one Graham?

If not why not send a new replacement Gunpod with the FP pack that is coming first quarter of the new year?

Are us first edition buyers important enough in their eyes for the pathetic crooked gunpod fix? ....

my thoughts..

If you ever change careers you should take up cricket commentating!

and somebody shoot that damn dog! :D

oh, and the review is great too.

1) Fighter to battroid.

2) Battroid to fighter.

3) fighter to gerwalk.

Each video is supposed to be 5-6 minutes long. Unfortunately, I didn't know that my camera automatically powers down after 3 minutes (no way to set it longer) and I didn't realise this while I was filming. I was filming without an assistant so had nobody to tell me the camera was powering off :angry: .

Unfortuantely, this means that each video is incomplete as it's missing the latter half.

You can see it here:

Graham

Thanks for the video Graham, but I just cant believe my luck. The video just cut where I have problems. I will wait for the next video release.

Thanks again, I apreciate it.

That's a great start, Graham! I think you can get better resolution off Google Video, and they don't have a time limit, so it's concievable to do Fighter, Battroid, Gerwalk, Fighter, or whatever, all in one take. Also, that dog is rather annoying, is there an indoor well lit area you could film? It's not a deal breaker though. Better resolution would be rather nice. Looking forward to the next one!

It's missing the Dogfighter music from your previous 1/48 video reviews. Hehehehehe. The barking dogs don't have the same Macross feel to em.

The problem is I can only shoot the videos when my son is having his afternoon nap, so I can't turn the music on.

Graham

wow graham you really do sound british. i coulda sworn i've seen you use the americanized spelling of certain words, but oh well.

Beacuse the majority of members here are from the US, so I've just fallen into the habit of using American spellings most of the time to avoid confusion.

Graham

I think it's good that the Gunpod is actually the problem, rather than the hardpoints where the gunpod attaches to. Still, no problem is most desirable.

I'll have to say it again, this bloody bird is huge. I'll be getting a case along with the other case of VF-0As. Can't wait for it.

Edited by kensei

my thoughts..

If you ever change careers you should take up cricket commentating!

and somebody shoot that damn dog! :D

oh, and the review is great too.

lol what dog???? :edit: ahh, i can't download the video till i get home. :(

cricket commentating? are you saying im slow and boring and states the bloody obvious? :p :P :p

lol. Cricket rocks! Poor poor pommies. Graham your british? Following the cricket lately? :lol:

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I think it's good that the Gunpod is actually the problem, rather than the hardpoints where the gunpod attaches to. Still, no problem is most desirable.

I'll have to say it again, this bloody bird is huge. I'll be getting a case along with the other case of VF-0As. Can't wait for it.

How much exactly is in a crate btw? 5? 6? :D I was thinking of grabbing a 1A, but whats the use now?

Apparently Shin's is coming out soon... same colour but with the blue stripe. I guess i'll wait.