Graham's Review of Yamato 1/60 Scale YF-19

Graham

How much exactly is in a crate btw? 5? 6? :D I was thinking of grabbing a 1A, but whats the use now?

Apparently Shin's is coming out soon... same colour but with the blue stripe. I guess i'll wait.

A Yamato case for VFs is a total of 4.

Shin's got a blue stripe?

Awesome practice tutorial, Graham. :)

And the wings are PLENTY long enough, there is NO need for "longer, sleeker" wings. :rolleyes:

I do see that the tail fins should have been slightly taller as Graham pointed out in his review, but fighter mode is still gorgeous as are the other configurations as well.

I am also glad that it's the gun pod that needs tweaking, that shouldn't be a problem for me to fix. But I do have to agree that as much work went into this design, there shouldn't have been any issues to begin with, IMHO. But they are fixable though, thank GOD.

-Kyp

Nope, Shin's VF-0A should have a white stripe not blue, plus a few other color changes. Depends on how accurately Yamato follow the OVA color scheme.

Got my camera settings sorted out, so I'm good to go for tomorrow to refilm the videos at a higher resolution.

I'm not really a sports fan and have little interest in Cricket, Soccer or Rugby, so I'm not really typically British. Neither do I drink tea. I live mostly on coffee.

Graham

Nope, Shin's VF-0A should have a white stripe not blue, plus a few other color changes. Depends on how accurately Yamato follow the OVA color scheme.

Got my camera settings sorted out, so I'm good to go for tomorrow to refilm the videos at a higher resolution.

I'm not really a sports fan and have little interest in Cricket, Soccer or Rugby, so I'm not really typically British. Neither do I drink tea. I live mostly on coffee.

Graham

Ahh sorry, white stripe.. thanks Graham. I got the OVa on dvd but have never watched it yet coz i wanted to save it for a special viewing when set up in the new house, perfectionism. :lol::p Which is when i get back pretty much. :D I have only seen the first 2 minutes, my jaw dropped, but i wasn't going to ruin it on a crappy piece of poo tv, i'll wait till the big one is set up.

Not watching the series yet is a big factor why i haven't picked up the toys yet...

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Ahh sorry, white stripe.. thanks Graham. I got the OVa on dvd but have never watched it yet coz i wanted to save it for a special viewing when set up in the new house, perfectionism. :lol::p Which is when i get back pretty much. :D I have only seen the first 2 minutes, my jaw dropped, but i wasn't going to ruin it on a crappy piece of poo tv, i'll wait till the big one is set up.

Not watching the series yet is a big factor why i haven't picked up the toys yet...

So you're gonna watch Mac Zero after coming back from Japan? You might want to buy some VF-0's while your there 'cause after watching the OVA you'll sure as hell want some VF-0 goodness to display/play with.

Graham,

Thanks for putting up the first partial video. I never would have thought it to be so big. And you handle it so well...

No wait...I didn't mean it like that...

:ph34r:

Can't wait to see more.

So you're gonna watch Mac Zero after coming back from Japan? You might want to buy some VF-0's while your there 'cause after watching the OVA you'll sure as hell want some VF-0 goodness to display/play with.

Graham,

Thanks for putting up the first partial video. I never would have thought it to be so big. And you handle it so well...

No wait...I didn't mean it like that...

:ph34r:

Can't wait to see more.

Yeah, that's the plan, mind you Mac + is first on the agenda with the YF-19 being placed in the sexy display cabinent....

the 2nd 19 for the bro, he wil have a heart attack.. or something.

I just thought the Shin would be the one to get, when do we see the/a red striped VF-0a goin off?

Not that i want to spoil anything for myself. GAh what am i talking about?! 2 YF-19's is the budget!

I can wait for Shin. :p ... and the ghost.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Thanks Graham! Looking forward to seeing the complete video.

Actually seeing the 19 in someones hands makes me want mine all the more, but unfortunately, it sounds like I won't get mine till Feb. with Twin Moons. :( .

Chris

Well i'm on my way to the train, 32 hour ride to moscow, then sleep 2 days later and the next day after that (Tuesday)

we fly to Tokyo. I shalt report what my haul will be on the 16th! Later, more pics on how to fix the crooked gunpod guys!

I'm OUT. :D:lol:

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Oh yeah, can you please elaborate now on the story of the development of the other YF-19s? When you have time of course. I remember you saying that it was interesting.

For those living in France, ideally near Paris ... Konci displays an old prototype version of a 1/60 YF19..... and it is... ugly:

Was kind of a protocultered version of the 1/72 YF-19 to 1/60 .... nothing compared to what we all soon shall recieve in our mailbox, but a very interesting experience to see.....

Video reviews/transformation guides of cool toys rule!

I've never opened the manual for my 1/48, the video guide was perfect.

Thanks Graham (you know, a video about Yamato’s 2007 projects would be a very nice interlude between the first and second part of the transformation guide…)

Got any pics?

Sorry ... I hadn't my camera with me... but I think Graham should have some also.

But basicely, from a distance I thougt it was a 1/12 YF-19 ...getting nearer I noticed it to be far too big for 1/72 scale.

It was like looking at a 1/72 trough a magnifying glass ... just imagine how ugly this could be.

Canopy was single piece, leg parts were as disgracious as the 1/72, head wasn't as sleek as the official 1/60's ....

For those living in France, ideally near Paris ... Konci displays an old prototype version of a 1/60 YF19..... and it is... ugly:

Was kind of a protocultered version of the 1/72 YF-19 to 1/60 .... nothing compared to what we all soon shall recieve in our mailbox, but a very interesting experience to see.....

It's more 1/32 or 1/48 than 1/60.

It's an upsized 1/72 yamato. It's more than ugly in fact lol :p

It's more 1/32 or 1/48 than 1/60.

It's an upsized 1/72 yamato. It's more than ugly in fact lol :p

That's correct in year 2000 IIRC, Yamato made a one-off larger scale version of the 1/72. IIRC, it was 1/48 scale. Apart from the larger size and being made all in resin, it was otherwise comlpletely identical to the 1/72. I'd forgotten about it. I have a ton of pics on disc somewhere.

Just to clarify, it was not an early prototype for the 1/60.

Graham

onlyfighter to battroid was working but since that was the main one for me Im happy anyway :) Thanx for the guide Graham (Who i ahad always thought was American, so there we go...)

toy looks great. How loose are the wings on their hinges? By that i mean in Battroid when they are 'loose'

I also uploaded the three videos to the MW server, so there is anoher source other than YouTube:-

Battroid To Fighter Mode

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/Y...fighter_all.wmv

(28.4MB)

Fighter to Battroid Mode

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/Y...attroid_all.wmv

(22MB)

Fighter to Gerwalk Mode

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/Y...gerwalk_all.wmv

(13.8MB)

Graham

Just watched them all twice.

Great video's Graham. The quality of the vids is fine and I love the T-shirt.(did that sound like a girly thing to say? :huh: )

To those members ready to complain about it not being in widescreen, Hi Definition, THX, Dolby Digital 9.1 Surround Sound,...P*ss off. ;)

You handle the toy quite roughly IMO. In a way I'm glad to see that, because it proves that it is a sturdy designed piece of art.

the fighter to battroid youtube vid is viewable only for me

but I am downloading all 3 vids from MW server, thanks graham !

it will make tranforming the YF-19 easier and less hazzardous to valkyrie and owner :p

btw I like the T - shirt too ^_^

Edited by Deimos

Luckily they just pop right back on.

There's a few parts of the toy that can come of or come apart during transformation, such as the backpack connection that I show on the video, the tail fins if you pull too hard, such as when the moving base is too tight and also the the upper backpack section where it connects by two begs o the back of the chest plate. I'll probably make a vid of that later.

Luckily everything pops back together easily.

Graham

You handle the toy quite roughly IMO. In a way I'm glad to see that, because it proves that it is a sturdy designed piece of art.

I'm always pretty rough with my toys, but then again I've logged a lot of time with the 19, so I pretty much know what I'm doing.

Graham

Every time I look at the videos I'm amazed at the enginuity of the transformation process Yamato designed to get around the problems Kawamori created with all that anime magic.

After watching the vids and seeing how complicated the transformation is I wonder if people, in Japan or elsewhere where the toy is available in shops, buy this for their kids not realizing how complicated it is.

ok just downloaded the videos instead and watched.. better for my eyes.. can see clearly.. very nostalgic just when i first bought my vf 1/48 dl the instruction vidoe and transform...

yf19 fits everything perfectly so have to use some extra carefull strength.

the part that you must be carefull when transforming is the canards as it always get in the way on my hands when transforming and it feels kinda fraagile too....

Luckily they just pop right back on.

There's a few parts of the toy that can come of or come apart during transformation, such as the backpack connection that I show on the video, the tail fins if you pull too hard, such as when the moving base is too tight and also the the upper backpack section where it connects by two begs o the back of the chest plate. I'll probably make a vid of that later.

Luckily everything pops back together easily.

Graham

This is good to know though, it seems as if the YF-19 is not only Yamato's best looking product to date, but also the most durable(seems like it in the videos, I have yet to handle one myself so I cannot say for certain). I'd rather have a part come off than break, so I think I'd be happy with this toy.

And it is such a huge improvement over the very first YF-19 from way back when Toycom was still trying to bring it over!(And to think back then, I didn't think ANYTHING could top that thing! Just goes to show how advanced and so much better things can get after a couple of years).