New Robotech RPG

JELEINEN

F*ck Palladium, I mean honestly.

Kevin is a lame-brained micro-manager who still thinks his system is somewhere near playable. He refuses to give the system a proper overhaul (hell, he refuses to playtest new material) and as such this "new" edition of Robotech will be a minor upgrade if anything. The same crappy out of date rules will stay intact.

I would have wished that a company like DP9 (although they don't do licenses anymore) or a smaller company using a system like Fuzion would do a new release. A release with decent rules, accurate stats and layout that acknowledged the desktop publishing revolution of 15 years ago.

Wasn't Palladium supposed to be bankrupt anyways? If only...

There are two problems with the Robotech RPG. First is the current publisher, Palladium. I don't need to say much more about their system, since yellowlightman already touched on that.

The second problem is the company holding the license. Yup, our beloved Harmony Gold. Whatever gives you the idea that they would release it to a competent RPG company? The way HG and Palladium does business, well, looks to be two bedfellows there...

The second problem is the company holding the license. Yup, our beloved Harmony Gold. Whatever gives you the idea that they would release it to a competent RPG company? The way HG and Palladium does business, well, looks to be two bedfellows there...

Yeah, but Palladium's got a thin wallet, and HG is a gold digger.

If someone else offers more...

But even then, they completely bollix'd it up. From minor errors like dubbing the FAST-pack equipped Valk as a total redesign to complete howlers like mistaking the Oberth-class destroyer for a space fighter, the game is full if inaccurate or downright fanon info. (and do NOT get me started on the atrocious "Japanimation Notes" which show that all they did was do a half-arsed reading of Perfect Memory [which they didn't even bother to get the title of right, even when it's in fartin' English right on the fartin' cover! ])

Further, I shuddered when Simbieda talked of adding "new mecha." The last thing we need is stupid mecha created in-house at Palladium that have no relation to the graphic design of Macross, Southern Cross or Mospeada.

Palladium, although I cut them a bit more slack on their system (I prefer D20, bit Palladium is far from unplayable if you have the right GM, and I will admit that Rifts is a great sandbox to play in) had no flipping idea what they were doing when they made that Robotech game. I'm looking at chucking the book altogether and doing Macross in another game setting (probably D20, which I'm most familar at).

Edited by Pat Payne

Further, I shuddered when Simbieda talked of adding "new mecha." The last thing we need is stupid mecha created in-house at Palladium that have no relation to the graphic design of Macross, Southern Cross or Mospeada.

I can't be for certain, but I think what he meant by 'new mecha' should really read 'old mecha we forgot and some preproduction stuff we can use from Southern Cross and Mospeada'. So, you'd get the VF-X-4/YF-4, VF-1R, VEFR-1, Meltrandi vessels that all appeared in Force of Arms, the various Southern Cross Battloids, preproduction AAA Spartas, VA-5 Condor, EAF-03 Bat/SFA-5 Bat etc. In otherwords, alot of stuff that went missing. Just from the screen caps I've done of Southern Cross and Mospeada alone, there is literally a mountain of missing equipment.

Would there be wholey new designs? Probably, but again I'm betting most of them will be models that Palladium has had for years that were published under the old Robotech RPG like the Mini-Monster, VA-8 'Attack Logan' (Super Logan) etc.

One small step out of bankruptcy for Palladium, one giant leap backwards for roleplayers.

I've already done my DP9/Silhouette port for Macross, and I'm in the middle of my D20 version, so I'll be leaving anything Palladium offers on the shelf.

Strangely enough, I loved the Palladium system when I first started using playing Robotech. It took Rifts to kill any enjoyment my gamers and I got from it.

To be honest, I have nothing against the Palladium rules. Mind you, I use a stripped and gutted version of them. In other words: use whatever you want, and chuck whatever gets in the way of your enjoyment. (Of course, as a GM, it's handy to have all those clunky rules around, if the players start making too much trouble. :evil: )

My big gripe with them, though, is in the later supplements, they began adding stuff. Sure, the uprisings, EBSIS, and stuff were cool and interesting new facets, but the new equipment, especially mecha? Puh-leaze! Get some artists who at least understand mechanics!

I always thought WEG's D6 would do great with Macross. Palladium's system is sucker than suck, though.

I have the MII RPG (after seeing the OVA based on my memories of Robotech, I got the RPG and from there got into Macross in general).

Funny stuff, 1BRD :). The "Critical Hit" one reminds me of a D&D game I ran recently too...one of the party was possessed by the spirit of an NPC they had killed previously, and so of course they didn't want to kill him, just subdue him. Well, one of the players went and rolled to knock the PC silly with the but of a spear. He rolled a natural 20 -- a crit threat. On confirming, he rolled another 20. Confirming that one (I was using a house rule on multiple criticals) he rolled another 20. In the end, after the SIXTH natural 20 in a row on a critical hit, I said "never mind rolling again -- by this time, you've knocked him out, certainly!" I didn't even bother to roll damage...

Edited by Pat Payne

I always thought WEG's D6 would do great with Macross. Palladium's system is sucker than suck, though.

I have the MII RPG (after seeing the OVA based on my memories of Robotech, I got the RPG and from there got into Macross in general).

WEG's system would be killer for Macross.Do any of you guys read David Weber's Honor Harrington novels?Ken Burnside at Ad Astra Games(which pubs the Honor wargame Saganami Island Tactical Simulator)told me that when things are farther along they will use that WEG system for the Honor RPG.

WEG's system would be killer for Macross.Do any of you guys read David Weber's Honor Harrington novels?Ken Burnside at Ad Astra Games(which pubs the Honor wargame Saganami Island Tactical Simulator)told me that when things are farther along they will use that WEG system for the Honor RPG.

I've read it, they are some of my favorites. I even tossed laser heads into one of my d20 games.