300 the Movie thread

chowyunskinny

I love Spartan History, and this story has great factual elements to it. I hope it stays somewhat true to the historic event, it will rock for sure then.

Is it just me, or does the lead Spartan resemble Brian Blessed? I mean, much younger of course. Surreal.

As long as Leonidas doesn't shout, "Spartans! First wave.... DIVE!!!" :D

I'm not entirely sold on the blue screen backgrounds... sometimes they work, sometimes they feel like some late 20th century computer game's live action cutscene... hard to get an epic feel of 300 Spartans facing thousands of Persian when it's obviously four guys in front of a screen that has the apparent depth of ten to fifteen feet behind them. From the trailers, the backdrops seem to work perhaps half the time...

Although very familiar with Thermopylae, I've never read 300. Where does the big orcish characters (like the one on the confusing poster that makes you think this is a horror film or bad Lord of the Rings ripoff and the large one in the trailer) come in? Are they part of some fanciful dream/mythological-enchanced backstory or are they some kind of malformed Persian units?

Anyone ever see 300 Spartans? VERY Cold War propaganda laced and typical 60's Hollywood. Gotta love how the Spartans 'fought for freedom of all civilized people'. Guess slaves (including fellow Greeks) didn't count... :lol:

Maybe its just me, but I thought this looked really bad. As in horrid. A step up from the "made for cable" junk you see on the Sci-Fi channel.

I smell another Frank Miller winner.

Oh, you mean like Robocop 2 & 3? Or like Sin City, which did OK, but certainly wasn't a blockbuster by any means.

Maybe its just me, but I thought this looked really bad. As in horrid. A step up from the "made for cable" junk you see on the Sci-Fi channel.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt this way. From this (admittadly early) trailer, it looks truely pathetic. I couldn't stomach Sin City and turned it off after 20 minutes, so the name "Frank Miller" doesn't do anything good for me.

I never thought I'd hear of a movie about Thermopylae and not even give it a chance...

But that looks terrible. Like "everything that is wrong with Hollywood historical movies" terrible.

And the special effects (why would you even NEED any for this movie?) are distracting they are so bad (although...maybe they are still rough).

I'll add this to "flyboys" in the "history/action" movies to avoid at all costs.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt this way. From this (admittadly early) trailer, it looks truely pathetic. I couldn't stomach Sin City and turned it off after 20 minutes, so the name "Frank Miller" doesn't do anything good for me.

Well, in your defense, you do like Robotech.... :rolleyes:

I never thought I'd hear of a movie about Thermopylae and not even give it a chance...

But that looks terrible. Like "everything that is wrong with Hollywood historical movies" terrible.

And the special effects (why would you even NEED any for this movie?) are distracting they are so bad (although...maybe they are still rough).

I'll add this to "flyboys" in the "history/action" movies to avoid at all costs.

300 isn't a historical epic, and it's not meant to be an accurate or even believable portrayal of Thermopylae. It's trying to emulate Miller's comic book, 300, hence the painterly, melodramatic, gritty look and feel of the whole film. I don't know if it's going to work, since it mainly appeals to fans of Miller's work and those who might watch it for the "kewl" factor, but it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

Oh, you mean like Robocop 2 & 3? Or like Sin City, which did OK, but certainly wasn't a blockbuster by any means.

Robocop 2 & 3 may have been written by Miller, but what you saw on the screen bore virtually no resemblance to his screenplays. Ah, studio interference. How I loathe thee. :angry:

Sin City may not have been a blockbuster, but it's still one of the best comic book movies out there.

As for the 300 trailer, after another viewing, I've downgraded my approach to cautiously optimistic. The fx and the acting seemed to be a bit too cheesy to me. Maybe we're just seeing some very early post production work.

Yeah, the "modern" music is a bit out of place, and some of the green-screen/CG stuff looks a bit "made-for-TV," but still shows potential. As comic-books-turned-movies go, I liked Sin City, so I'm willing to give this one a shot. Those guys are like seriously ripped--enough to make a Gold's Gym trainer weep. They've got to be "touched-up" using CG or something? I guess they're going for a bit of a mysticism-and-comic-style-action-meets-hstorical-legends feel to it? Heck, I figure they can't do any worse than Troy.

Edited by reddsun1

Certainly not as good looking as all those other movies with biplane combat.....oh wait, there aren't any. Nope, in this case I'll take what I can get.

Wings, Hell's Angels, and Blue Max all have great flying sequences. I would much rather watch any of them...with real planes, than this fake looking CGI crap.

Wings is actually a good movie.

It's been too long since I've seen Hell's Angels.

And while the characters in The Blue Max kinda ruin the movie, the biplane action makes it more than worth it.

Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's worth watching.

I dunno, I don't look at 300 as being a "historical" movie so much as I do a comic/graphic novel adaptation, so I'm willing to give it more leeway.

But like others here have said, I do not look forward to Flyboys being any good whatsoever. They've got a lot of nerve to even include the claim "inspired by true events." Hollywood's casual disregard for any semblance of accuracy in so-called "true-story" films for the sake of hollow merchandising pluglines and cheesy romance dramas is pretty sickening. A lot of times, truth is a helluva lot more fascinating than fiction. This movie's gonna suck like a whore at a Las Vegas business convention.

I'm guessing that one pilot is "based" on Eugene Bullard, who was "America's first black fighter pilot." The actor does look a lot like the real Bullard though. That's probably where the similarity ends, from what I'd venture of this fecal stain of a film. From what research I've done on him, this guy should get a movie all his own--the real Bullard lived a hell of a life, one that just about any man would consider a dream. http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/apjinte...valetteeng.html

It's a damn shame his "rags to riches" story ended up "going back to rags" to a certain degree, when he was forced to return to America during WWII. In his adopted country of France, he was a national hero, a successful entrepreneur, an equal. In his homeland, he was considered a second class citizen. God**mn shame.

Edited by reddsun1

• 2 weeks later...

You know, the green screen backgrounds didn't remind me nearly so much of made-for-tv crap as early 80's sci-fi movies and even older fantasy movies. Really, the trailer made me think 'Clash of the Titans' crossed with 'Dune', and I must admit that grabbed my attention.

Count me in with those who hope the music in the movie isn't blatantly modern like the trailer.

Woah, the difference in quality between those two trailers is like night and day. Maybe being able to actually see the backgrounds, as oppsed to a pixelated, muddy mess, will quiet some of the naysayers. This new trailer is good, but I'd rather see a hi def version of the original one. And count me in the minority who actually liked the NiN used in the first one. The patented Howard Shore choral chanting/Hans Zimmer moaning, lamenting woman soundtrack has been done to death for the historical epic, and if somebody tries something different, even in a trailer, then I say it's about damn time.

Woah, the difference in quality between those two trailers is like night and day. Maybe being able to actually see the backgrounds, as oppsed to a pixelated, muddy mess, will quiet some of the naysayers. This new trailer is good, but I'd rather see a hi def version of the original one. And count me in the minority who actually liked the NiN used in the first one. The patented Howard Shore choral chanting/Hans Zimmer moaning, lamenting woman soundtrack has been done to death for the historical epic, and if somebody tries something different, even in a trailer, then I say it's about damn time.

Actually, I think Trent Reznor could do a pretty good job. His work for id's games are actually pretty good.

Definitely like what I'm seeing. Nice to see they try to capture the over the top but aesthetic action scenes Frank Miller puts in his comics.

Like the music too. I find that it fits very well with a film that distorts reality so much (better than the usual stuff we hear in normal period movies).

I love the Nine Inch Nails music in the trailer. The track "Just Like You Imagined" is an intense and disturbing piece of music that fits the subject matter of the movie. I think the heavy music also meshes well with the hyper-reality created for the film, the perfect complement to a film shot on a digital backlot. It works for me :)

Zack Snyder is said to be attached to Watchmen, but I don't know if the rumor is true. Both Terry Gilliam and Darren Aronofsky were once on-board the Watchmen film, but that didn't work out. The film seems like it's in development hell right now.