Iron Man the Movie

Ladic

Dunno about the Cyberman pose, looks like his about to flick out Wolverine claws from the backs of his hands.

The Cyberman may looks awesome, but it barely has any articulation: no upper arm or thigh swivels. That's the only standing pose I really like him in. He has a wrist gun too, which you can barely see.

P.s. - And please explain why Jay and Silent Bob are classified as mechanicals in your collection.....

Because it's my collection and I make the rules? B))

It's more of a movie/tv shelf with a heavy emphasis on robots/machines/cyborgs. There's Aliens and a Predator on the other side of the shelf, standing next to a Cylon, who's in front of Robocop mecha, between a small die-cast Gort, and all in front of a Terminatrix hugging a T-800. Plus I had nowhere else to put them. :p

I went hunting again for the MK1 and Monger. The only normal sized figures stores seem to be keeping in stock are the Red&Gold Iron men(either normal or the snap-on armor one). Except for Walmart. All they had was the exclusive Stealth suit in War Machine colors, which I picked up because I didn't want to come home with nothing. About him....

When I first picked him up and walked towards the register, I noticed a blemish on his face. So I went back looking for a cleaner one. There's a sort of weathering effect going on on the silver parts and it's not perfectly uniform, and when that happens on the helmet, it doesn't look right. Plus there were random "specks" on the helmets of most of the ones I was going through. So if you're going to pick one of these up, you really should compare with all the figures there to make sure you're grabbing the best looking one. I did manage to find a pretty clean one, but just about all of them had a "speck" on the helmet or a blemish in the weathering effect. About his weapons...

I *hate* the clip-on wrist guns because that's what they look like, clip-on wrist guns. They don't clip on to any set peg on the arm, and it's only friction holding them in place. The shoulder pads fall off a little too easily. The blue and orange missiles just look plain silly when in place on the gatling gun and missile launcher. He looks much better without them, except for the missile launcher which has a huge hole in the center for that missile.

That all said, he still looks cool. Articulation's pretty good, but as has been mentioned, it's really dissappointing that despite having repulsor rays on his palms and the wrist articulation, you can't put him in a palm up pose because of the armor on top of the hand getting in the way of the wrist.

CIMG0904.jpg

Am I allowed to pose him next to Hulk enjoying a beer? :D

Edit: grammar police

Edited by Alpha OTS

I decided to pick up a MK3 Iron Man figure and I have a few comments on it. First, it's a very nice sculpt all around. He's nicely proportioned (although the hands are a bit small) and looks good in a wide range of poses. Articulation is very good, but far from the best or most creative I've seen on a human figure. I'm not sure how much I really like the ball joints that Hasbro has been using lately for hips. They do have a decent range, but there's just something about them I don't like. I can never seem to get a good sitting or crouching pose with them.

My perception of this figure goes a little south from there. The paint looks great on much of the figure, but it has a sort of 'painted with glossy nail polish' feel that I'm not too keen on, and there are large portions on the legs that are smeared and almost look like it got stuck on something before it dried. At least it's the legs and not the more visible areas, like the chest or the face. Luckily I had several to choose from because there were a lot of figures on the pegs that had front-and-center paint problems.

Some other random observations: The plastic for the arms and legs is on the softer, more rubbery side that what I like - feeling kind of like a soft PVC figure. The shoulder pads are detachable, weather I want them to or not. Luckily the figure still looks good without them so it doesn't really bother me. The hand armor, as many people have mentioned, not only hinders the hand posing but in my opinion it doesn't even look good. I might try to remove it, but doing that might really showcase how tiny his hands are. The arm lanucher is OK, and my cat had a good time chasing the projectile, but it's not really something I'll keep on the figure. I tend to think weapons like that look a little cheesy.

All that said, I do like the figure. I really like the design of this Iron Man and will most likely buy other versions of this armor. I wish the large Repulser Blast figure had more articulation, but even more so I wish it had either more articulated hands or interchangable hands. The permanant palms out pose is what really keeps me from buying the thing. Other than that the figure looks like it has a gorgeous finish on it.

I'm not sure how much I really like the ball joints that Hasbro has been using lately for hips. They do have a decent range, but there's just something about them I don't like. I can never seem to get a good sitting or crouching pose with them.

Thats actually something Toybiz started on wave 6 of their Marvel Legends line. I'm not the biggest fan of it either, I just got used to it. I prefer the old way though.

I might try to remove it, but doing that might really showcase how tiny his hands are.

If you do, just turn them the other way, then reglue them on. That way it still covers his hands, but no longer blocks his repulsor pose.

Thats actually something Toybiz started on wave 6 of their Marvel Legends line. I'm not the biggest fan of it either, I just got used to it. I prefer the old way though.

If you do, just turn them the other way, then reglue them on. That way it still covers his hands, but no longer blocks his repulsor pose.

Wow, I didn't realize those hips went as far back as Wave 6. I guess I haven't been paying attention. I'm not even sure what type of hip joint I would say is my favorite since certain styles seem to work better on certain sculpts.

As for the hands, that's a great idea. If I decide to mod them I'll give that a try.

Got my Repulsor Red in the mail today... great figure overall... just wish it wasn't so greasy out of the package *blech*

I see the hip and wrist issues as well... the wrist guards won't be a problem to fix, and probably look better turned around anyway... the hips on the otherhand are stupidly done. The pelvis rotation axis is not oriented right, making it very hard to move the hips around. Not sure why they did this... but I'm otherwise pleased and really psyched to see the rest of the line.

EDIT: Gah... can't stop dropping the shoulder guards either...

Edited by promethuem5

Luckily I had several to choose from because there were a lot of figures on the pegs that had front-and-center paint problems.

I stopped by Target on the way home to see if they had a MK1 or Monger. No dice. But they did have the Target exclusive Repulsor Red prototype, which is the MK3 with silver instead of gold details. And again, I had to hunting through which ones they had on the pegs for a nice clean one. Just about all of them had a speck or blemish on the face. Even the one I settled on isn't perfect. Again, if you're going to pick up anything out of this line, just don't grab one randomly. Look and compare.

The shoulder pads are detachable, weather I want them to or not. Luckily the figure still looks good without them so it doesn't really bother me.

I prefer them on, but I was surprised that it looks good without them. Still disconcerting that they pop off so easily though.

The arm lanucher is OK, and my cat had a good time chasing the projectile, but it's not really something I'll keep on the figure. I tend to think weapons like that look a little cheesy.

The problem with it is that it doesn't look like something Iron Man would use. A War Machine armor, yes, but not Iron Man. Maybe it shows up in the movie *shrug*

Walmart Exclusive and Target Exclusive

CIMG0923.jpg

I had a heck of a time taking a picture of these two, something about the red shiny armor my camera didn't like and I'm not smart enough with my camera to fix. This was the best pic I could manage.

Only negative about the Target exclusive is that the repulsor rays are painted red like the rest of the armor. On the Walmart exclusive they were blue like the center chest. Although it really doesn't make a difference because you can't get a repulsor blast pose on either of them.

I just went thru and tweaked the paint on my Repulsor Red (couldn't help myself)... panel lines, fixed silver details... GW Mithril Silver is a perfect match if you want to do some touch-ups... also flipped the hand-guards, so now he can repulsor blast :D

I'd assume the missile launchers are just Hasbro's way of realizing that if they'd made one of the arms a repulsor launcher and compromised articulation, fans would have screamed out in angst.

I just realised why the missile launcher that comes with MK3 looks so familiar...the Marvel Showdowns Iron Man (that was the 3" line, which I actually liked aside from QC issues) came with one that was very similar. They seem more like a Transformers accessory. Maybe I'll see how MK3's arm cannon looks on Alt Hot Rod's shoulder. :)

Wow, I didn't realize those hips went as far back as Wave 6. I guess I haven't been paying attention. I'm not even sure what type of hip joint I would say is my favorite since certain styles seem to work better on certain sculpts.

Those hips totally caught me off guard a couple years back. When I opened brown costume Wolverine I was like "OH AWESOME THE COSTUME FROM MY CHI-...WHY THE %^&* IS HIS LEG NOT MOVING LIKE THE OLDER ONES? OH......DAMN.......".

Not sure why they did this... but I'm otherwise pleased and really psyched to see the rest of the line.

Me niether!

On fwoosh I did see some members taking the mk2 cannons and mounting them on Repulsor Red's ankles.

Is the third one an original design, or what is it based on?

Do you mean for the movies? The mk3 is the red and gold armor, for figures its the super articulated base figure thats packed more than other figures in the case. There is another red and gold, the prototype, which lacks an ab joint but has swappable forearms, removable helmet and chest plate, and swappable chest units. The mk3 costume was designed by one of the recent Iron man artists.

On fwoosh I did see some members taking the mk2 cannons and mounting them on Repulsor Red's ankles.

That was a good idea. I put them on the back of MK2's knees as it made more sense for an earlier armor to need thrusters. Definitely looks better than putting them on the arms.

I did find MK2, MK1 and Iron Monger. And again, you really should look at each before blindly picking one up. QC on the finish on these seems to vary pretty wildly. There was an MK2 on the pegs that looked like the whole chest had been carbon scorched. My MK2 looked fine, but the plastic that connects the joints is unusually soft.

MK1 looks really nice. Arm articulation is hindered by the armor, but being what it is, it kind of makes sense for the first armor to be limited. I really like the little details like the gear and belt on each lateral side of the legs. The color detailing has a sort of rust effect to it which helps the low-tech aesthetic.

Iron Monger v1 has a gimped leg for the action gimmick as we all know, so it's pretty much a standing pose only, or a slight variation thereof with whatever you can manage with the left leg. The arms have a ton of articulation though, and the figure is big, bulky and menacing. He could use some more color detail though, and the default plastic color is a sort of weird steel color that varies in whatever light it's in. The right light hits it, and it does look like it has a copperish hue like has been seen in some pics.

CIMG0918.jpg

I did find MK2, MK1 and Iron Monger. And again, you really should look at each before blindly picking one up. QC on the finish on these seems to vary pretty wildly. There was a MK2 on the pegs that looked like the whole chest had been carbon scorched. My MK2 looked fine, but the plastic that connects the joints is unusually soft.

Yeah, the QC on the figures is pretty shoddy. I went to Target and saw a removable armor figure with a missing arm.

I never picked up FaceOff WM either... the FO IM mold is such an oddball for me... I LOVE the armor, and I love the aesthetic of the figure, but the biceps really need to be fixed in order to allow proper articulation, which I haven't done yet, and really the fig could stand to be repainted.... I'm also missing the ML series 1 yellow armor and stealth armor figs, and the ML8 Modern IM tho, so my collection is flawed as well...

I never picked up FaceOff WM either... the FO IM mold is such an oddball for me... I LOVE the armor, and I love the aesthetic of the figure, but the biceps really need to be fixed in order to allow proper articulation, which I haven't done yet, and really the fig could stand to be repainted.... I'm also missing the ML series 1 yellow armor and stealth armor figs, and the ML8 Modern IM tho, so my collection is flawed as well...

Good luck trying to find the ML stealth armor for a decent price. My 2nd favorite armor, right after the Centurion armor and it was short packed so that all the scalpers(including comic/toy stores) jacked the prices on those astronomically.

One's going for $80 on eBay right now. frakk that. Rather buy a Series 1 normal IM and repaint it before I pay those prices.

For the movie I'm just missing the IM exclusive and the Stealth Armor. Missing the Thorbuster armor from the ML line but I hate that armor. :p

Yeah, so I was young when the first ML series came out, and I managed to snag the proto-classic red and gold IM at retail before ML collectors went chase-crazy, but never got the normal yellow and red release, and our WallyWorld is notorious for never getting store-exclusives in...

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw the pic, here is my review i just posted on my myspace page, no spoilers but a few easter eggs if you don't catch them

First on the chopping block is Iron Man. I am a fan so over course I was expecting a lot out of it. First of all Robert Downey Jr. is the man and is perfect casting. Second Jon Faveru (can't spell his name), the director of Elf and Zathura and Vince Vaughn's best friend came hard in his action movie directorial debut. This movie is fun and exciting. Whether you are an old school Iron Man fan or just like RDJ and company you will not be disappointed. The movie stayed very true to the comic origins without straying to much like other have. (See Spider-man, and the X-Men.) Sure it isn't an all action movie but most origin stories aren't. It is very funny, and really really smart. They did their home work and research on the tech stuff. The suits are nothing short of amazing and the action scenes will put a huge smile on your face; and if they don't RDJ's wit and humor is sure to win you over. Also for the fans there are tons of nods for us. They don't say it but the Mandarin is in the film as the head terrorist in charge of the terrorist organizition the Ten Rings (hmmmmm...... cool huh?) The two F-22s we have seen from the trailer are code named Whiplash 1 and Whiplash 2 ( no that was not lost on me either); and although the Nick Fury cameo has been deleted ( I was waiting to see ole Sameul L Jackson but i guess i have to wait longer) S.H.E.I.L.D. does make it's presence known in the film. All in all it is a great movie and a great way to start off the season. I recommend all go and see it and you all know that I have great taste in films and I rarely disappoint. See you next week when I review the Wachowski's latest offering since the Matrix Trilogy, Speed Racer which I am sure will put me in an epilectic seizure from all the bright colors. The colors Duke the colors......old popsicle commercial. I'm out bitches.

Just came back from it! Pretty awesome show!

Watch out for Stan Lee...again...

A nod to Warmachine.... ^_^

And after the credits, a nod to The Avengers. B))

Fanboys are sure to cream their pants.