The PlayStation 3 Thread!

Apollo Leader

I think you read it wrong or reworded it wrong. No where does it say that 5GB of install is required in order to play the game. You don't have to install anything and it will still play. But if you install those files it will speed up loadtime. it's a option not a requirement.

And this is Namco you are talking about, I'm pretty sure they can toss in a mini game for you to play while the files are installing to your harddrive.

you're right, it does not say it "requires" and more likely it's an option.

so is the whole game 5GB? I know the install files are meant to speed up load times, but after the 5 GB install, what are they streaming off the bluray disc?

you're right, it does not say it "requires" and more likely it's an option.

so is the whole game 5GB? I know the install files are meant to speed up load times, but after the 5 GB install, what are they streaming off the bluray disc?

hmm, I'm not sure on that one, I guess music and soundtrack is one of the stuff that will be streaming from the disc, perhaps the tracks or cars will be too. Or maybe that 5 GB is all the track, or all the cars so they will just need to stream either one from the disc. ;)

Preorders came and went on Best Buy's site (supposedly 10,000 units: 5k each of 20GB and 60GB flavors). AVS Forum has purged the threads for some reason, though there is still info on a few other boards. Interesting to see if any go through...

That's what I heard, too, but that was the report. Noone will be able to know until tomorrow, when we'll find out if this was a "glitch" or not, as at least one site is reporting. Despite my normal inclination to NEVER wait in line/camp out or preorder sight unseen, I was able to get an order in and followed with a confirmation email. Further, my credit card shows a pending transaction online (presumably to check for available funds), so we'll see.

I'd actually want to wait for an all silver PS3 anyway since all my HT gear is silver (even got the silver faceplate for my 360), but I am starting to get the fever for this thing. ;)

Edited by Uxi

For those without a pre-order, apparently select Circuit City locations are going to have 100 to sell and will be giving away 5 free in a raffle. Party "events" starting at 8:00pm on 11/16 with radio stations, tshirts, etc. For those of you in NY, there will be 100 given away free at the Union Station location along with another 100 available for purchase. :o

IPB Image

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/categorySpe..._keycode=285615

If you search Craigs List you'll find people selling their PS3 reservation ticket for $1,000-$2,000. And I mean just the "ticket" itself not the actual PS3 system but the freakin' ticket to buy it.

*cut and paste*

From the immature minds behind Smash My iPod and Smash My X-Box comes the next great website...

http://www.smashmyps3.com/

LOL :):):)

I'd pay good money to be there in person to see the look on their faces :)

Truly a great site. I wish I could be there too. I bet you money someone will try to intervene by throwing themselves ontop of the playstation.

Edit: Will this site post the video of them smashing the thing as soon as they do it?

Edited by GutsAndCasca

I saw the PS3 tonight in a Wal-Mart display. If the display is ANYthing like the finished product, I am good off of it altogether.

It's shiny, cheap "plasticy" looking and so incredibly tacky it would make the cost of your entertainment system go down just by sitting on the shelf next to all of it.

Chrome? It's not a God damn Mustang, Sony.

I saw the PS3 tonight in a Wal-Mart display. If the display is ANYthing like the finished product, I am good off of it altogether.

It's shiny, cheap "plasticy" looking and so incredibly tacky it would make the cost of your entertainment system go down just by sitting on the shelf next to all of it.

Chrome? It's not a God damn Mustang, Sony.

Chrome I agree looks a bit tacky...but it's on the 360's door too so...I guess people like the shiny silver look. But the rest of the console looks good to me.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I thought I read the PS3 is actually transparent black, but so "barely" transparent it's almost impossible to tell from opaque black.

Yup, it's transparent.

IPB Image

Edited by Gaijin

Consoles are an ugly lot, no matter the make or model. Who cares anyway? It's about the games and when the PS3 gets going it will be incredible...

The Dreamcast was a great looking console... and atleast on my 360 I was able to find a faceplate that matches my pine entertainment center perfectly...

and yeah, upon closer inspection that PS3 does look pretty nasty... I always thought the metal part on the front was more of a "polished" look like the PSP got but thats just flat out chrome.... jeezus.

but I don't mind the gloss black... technically its called "urushi" (well maybe its not urushi because its clear black) and Pioneer has been using the "piano black" look for years on their Elite line. the finish would actually match the frame and stand on my 43" Pio plasma perfectly.

either way with the decision of putting the power invertor thing inside the console that things gonna be a major fire hazard and putting it inside an entertainment center is probably going to be out of the question.

think you had problems now with your 360 overheating just you wait... yikes :o

I have to say that I like the PS3's overall appearance compared to the PS2. But yet, it does kind of look like a George Foreman Griller. :D And that it uses the exact text font from the Spiderman movies I think is stupid.

BTW, for months now I keep hearing all these references of Ken Kutaragi and giant grabs for months now. What was the significance of this? Is this Ken's own "It's Ridge Racer! Riiiidge Racer!"?

BTW, for months now I keep hearing all these references of Ken Kutaragi and giant grabs for months now. What was the significance of this? Is this Ken's own "It's Ridge Racer! Riiiidge Racer!"?

Dunno if you meant crabs or grabs but from what I hear (I havent watched a lot of the press footage) there was a video for the "most accurate samurai story ever told in a video game" and while in the demo a 60 foot crab showed up and you had to "HIT IT'S WEAK POINTS FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE!".

As for the Ridge Racer thing, when they pulled out the video for it he said "RIIIIIDGE RAAACERRRR" like he was speaking to a bunch of 6 year olds.

Consoles are an ugly lot, no matter the make or model. Who cares anyway? It's about the games and when the PS3 gets going it will be incredible...

Almost 100% agree, but I'll reserve judgement on the games until I actually play one. I'll also be watching for that killer app, if it shows up.

That console looks seriously retro! It's totally the early 80s attempt at high-tech looking.... done 25 years later. It's kinda neat.... but I'd prefer "boxy but good"

Just as long as it's not heavy and big. I love my X-Box, but damn if that console isn't insanely huge and heavy. The Dreamcast was also surprisingly heavy for it's size. Fortunately, I came into the Playstation and Playstation 2 consoles near the end of their runs, so I got a PS One and PS2 Slim. Small, light and easy to move or store :)

Just as long as it's not heavy and big. I love my X-Box, but damn if that console isn't insanely huge and heavy. The Dreamcast was also surprisingly heavy for it's size. Fortunately, I came into the Playstation and Playstation 2 consoles near the end of their runs, so I got a PS One and PS2 Slim. Small, light and easy to move or store :)

It's pretty heavy...about the weight of a 360 with the power brick.

I think the PS3 looks much classier than the PS2. I always thought that Sony should ditch their BDP-S1 Blu-ray player and replace it with a 3rd PS3 Sku that looked like ordinary HT equipment. They could include 5.1 or 7.1 analog outs, include the remote and a PS3 controller, have a moving face plate like their JDM model Blu-ray recorder BDZ-V9 (which looks very sharp). I would pay $1000 for THAT!

Anyone know when the all the all-silver PS3's will be out? That would much more fit with my HT equipment (which is all silver, from the Denon to the Toshiba HD-XA1, to the 5-disc carousel...). Even my 360 has the silver faceplate on it....