The PlayStation 3 Thread!

Apollo Leader

I want my PS3.

Yup. Too bad I don't wait in lines or preorder, though.

I already have a 360, but the release schedule has only been disapointing thus far. There have been a handful of titles that are worthy of the hardware and I have to scratch my head at that. As usual, PS3 should have a far better library.

HDMI is not just an update and chip away, since the current 360 does not have a digital video board. I believe Toshiba spilled the beans that MS is going to release an HD-DVD internal drived 360 that could. Whether this will lead to a fracturing of the existing hardware base or whether there will be an "upgrade" plan or some such remains to be seen.

Of course anyone can voice their opinion, but sometimes it just seem so one sided and base on rumors or lies, or whatever that it screams "quote me".

Here's a big example: The same people that is saying the PS3 is too expensive always happen to use the $600 price. It seems like they have no clue that there's a $500 Ps3. It gets even better when they started comparing pricing of the $400 xbox 360 Premium to the $600 Ps3 and complaints that the PS3 is forcing them on too many extras that they don't want, yet in reality they do WANT since they keep on talking about the $600 Ps3 and not the $500 Ps3 with less features.

everytime, I see those, it always crack me up :lol: Its' almost the same as the people that was saying that the PS3 is too expensive , no one is going to buy it. And then when Sony annouce that they can't delivery the 2 million on launch date, the same people will compliant that Sony released too little. I mean WTF? :rolleyes: didn't you said no one is going to buy it? so what does it matter if they make too little, no one is going to buy it anyways, right? :lol:

well, what I'm trying to say is, that replys in these Console Threads should be base on what you really think with not so much bias. ^_^

F360°, until recently the $600 PS3 was to be the only choice if you wanted HiDef, since the $500 PS3 would not have HDMI support.

The $500 PS3 also lacked WiFi, memory card ports, and something else, can't quite recall what that was. These things could all be upgraded, but people figured, reasonably enough, that buying a $500 PS3 and all the upgrades would cost more than a $600 PS3, and you still wouldn't have HDMI support, since that was the one thing that would not have been upgradeable.

Of course, this was a reasonable argument against the $500 PS3, but now thye $500 PS3 will have HDMI support, so it looks a lot more viable as an option.

On the other hand, $500 is still a lot of money, and still includes features that may not affect gameplay at all, yet add to that price...such as BluRay support.

Supposedly this is what's in the box:

PS3 hardware

1 x controller

1 x USB cable

1 x Stereo AV cable (Stereo AV Composite & Component, D-terminal, multi-terminal), HDMI cable available separately

1 x LAN cable

1 x Power cable

USB is to charge the controller's rechargable battery.

http://ps3.qj.net/All-boxed-up-PS3-...pg/49/aid/68656

Also not mentioned and though rumor, it appear the PS3 will include either a demo disc or a Blu-ray movie. What is weird is the rumored movie: Talladega Nights.

Not knocking the film but it seems...odd for a pack in choice if it's true.

On the other hand, $500 is still a lot of money, and still includes features that may not affect gameplay at all, yet add to that price...such as BluRay support.

There are at least 2 launch titles that have already reputedly topped 20GB, which would not be possible without Blu-ray. Memory capacity is like horsepower, RAM, and resolution in that there can NEVER be too much and it's instead just a question of diminishing returns, though there are ALWAYS returns.

$100 for Blu-ray is alot cheaper than the 360's option for HD-DVD (which will be double). Anyone not wanting Blu-ray is, of course, not required to buy any BD movies, if even a PS3. Sony adding HDMI to their cheaper model should stifle most of these claims since this is not available at all for the 360 and won't be until they get a digital video board in there. Now that HDMI, a far higher percentile of people can now live without the higher end PS3 excepting only the niche needs of wifi/memory sticks/larger HD, etc.

Now let's talk the play/charge kit (included in the PS3 ala USB cable), wifi ($100 for the 360).

Comparing 'tard pack' to 'tard pack' the 360 guys save another hundred bucks but get stuck with a wired controller, no HD, no component cable, etc. Many Sony should come up with a true 'tard pack' that's $399 and includes a composite/stereo only?

Edited by Uxi

There are at least 2 launch titles that have already reputedly topped 20GB, which would not be possible without Blu-ray. Memory capacity is like horsepower, RAM, and resolution in that there can NEVER be too much and it's instead just a question of diminishing returns, though there are ALWAYS returns.

True enough, more is always better in this case, but are the returns worth the cost? As for these titles that do go over 20GB, is that due to actual game content, or HiDef FMV?

If, by some chance, it is game content (such as high-res texture maps taking up all this additional space), could the cost factor have been reduced another way rather than pushing BluRay? Sega pushed a proprietary disc format without upping the cost of the Dreamcast so high.

Of course, we all know for Sony the big thing is to get BluRay, their format, into lots of homes, quickly. But will this move be successful in a market used to $200-300 price tags?

Now, I'm not arguing that BluRay is, in itself, a bad thing, and I'm certainly not against more space, but it's a question of will the market support the move at that price?

1 x Stereo AV cable (Stereo AV Composite & Component, D-terminal, multi-terminal), HDMI cable available separately

Last I heard, component was sold seperately, on both the $500 and the $600. I'll see if I can find some verification. It would make more sense to at least include component, though, since Sony loves to bring up what a cheap Blu-Ray player it is. Then again, they could be taking advantage of Joe Wal-Mart, who would likely hook up the PS3 to a low-end 27" SDTV and be conviced that they were watching an HD picture.

There are at least 2 launch titles that have already reputedly topped 20GB

Like Oblivion was rumored to be four discs on the 360?

Here's a big example: The same people that is saying the PS3 is too expensive always happen to use the $600 price. It seems like they have no clue that there's a $500 Ps3.

I think $500 is too much. $400 for the 360 was really too much, but it was close enough that, at least in my case, I was battying about the price even as I grabbed for my wallet.

If you've got $500-$600 to burn on a game console, you're interested in a cheap Blu-Ray player, you're really into one of the actual exclusive titles to be release in the next year, or you honestly believe that even the non-exclusive games will be better on the PS3, hey, it's your money. I happen to feel differently, is all.

Don't get me wrong, I value the opinions when they're rooted in reality.

What part of "not it the next 12 months, but maybe later when there's more games and a better price tag" strikes you as unrealistic?

Memory capacity is like horsepower, RAM, and resolution in that there can NEVER be too much

naw, doesn't really work like that. Oblivion is a massive game and it fit on one disk. I can guarantee there won't be a game out for the PS3 for a very LONG time that actually "requires" Blu-Ray. developers just got more room to work with so they don't have to compress as much. its not "better" or anything. just different. and its Blu-Ray which actually makes it worse for gaming :D

So, how long do people anticipate the shortage of consoles to last for the PS3? I didnt get my XBox 360 until april or may of this year, and they were pretty plentiful. I am wondering if I wait until the summer of next year to get a PS3 will be hard to find one, as the shortage might still be in effect, or there will be a plentiful supply.

Twich

PS3 preorders tomorrow. From a few boards I've read some losers are already camping out lol

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6159525.html

In-store program starts Tuesday morning; $100 deposit required, most stores expecting only eight systems.

By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot

Posted Oct 9, 2006 5:05 pm PT

GameStop has unveiled its in-store PlayStation 3 preorder campaign to GameSpot, and the retail chain looks to be bracing for a shortage of systems at launch day. Starting Tuesday morning, GameStop and EB Games stores will begin accepting "limited" preorders for the system with a $100 deposit. The preorders are "limited" in that very few will be received, and customers will not be guaranteed a PS3 on its November 17 US launch day.

"Most stores will receive a preorder allocation of eight units, while a few select stores will receive 16," a GameStop official said. "In either case, employee purchases will be restricted to a total of no more than two systems per store."

As for how the $100 can be paid, the company will accept cash, credit, or trade-in. Last month, the company conducted a test-run of preorders for the Wii and the PS3 at its Hawaii stores. In that one-day campaign, the company required that customers pay for the systems' $50 deposit with trade-in credit.

Reservations for the retailer's in-store program will be limited to one per household. The company's online preorder program will be revealed at a later date, "after software and accessory availability dates are confirmed."

I'm glad that I was in the test phase pre-order area...turned in a buncha crap for a Wii and PS3 pre-order. Number 2 on the list for both with no lines and no waiting.

Good luck to those who brave the stores tomorrow. :)

Edited by Gaijin

I'm glad that I was in the test phase pre-order area...turned in a buncha crap for a Wii and PS3 pre-order. Number 2 on the list for both with no lines and no waiting.

Good luck to those who brave the stores tomorrow. :)

Lucky stiff! :p In my case last year with the 360, I had mine completely paid off with store credit like two months in advance at a local video game store (as in a local game shop, not a chain like GameStop). On the day of the system release, I just went to work as usual, got off at 4:30 as usual, and went in and out of the store with my 360 like it was no big deal. Nice and relaxing. But at the same time too, it was a lot of fun getting my PS2 at midnight with 50-100 people at the local Babbage's/GameStop back in October 2000; there was food and drinks, hey it was one big party!

After getting a whole bunch of game systems, including PS1 and 2, at launch, the PS3 launch is one system launch I'm REALLY glad to be passing up.

For all who get the PS3, let us know what you think. :)

I don't recall how they compare to high-speed DVD.

I did the math a long time ago. It came out to something like a 30 second load time on a 16x DVD would be 45 seconds on a 2x Blu-Ray or a full minute on 1x. They did finally say the PS3 is 2x, right?

Having more room to work isn't a bad thing. I don't think anyone would argue that. I just feel that it's been convincingly argued that it's probably not necessary for the 360/PS3/Wii generation. Sony's primary reason for using the format isn't because games need Blu-Ray, it's the other way around. Sony's banking on the PS3 to push the demand for Blu-Ray.

So, how long do people anticipate the shortage of consoles to last for the PS3? I didnt get my XBox 360 until april or may of this year, and they were pretty plentiful. I am wondering if I wait until the summer of next year to get a PS3 will be hard to find one, as the shortage might still be in effect, or there will be a plentiful supply.

Twich

Unlike Microsoft, Sony is planning to ramp up production pretty quickly, churning out supposedly 2 million units by the end of the year and about one million per month after that.

Yes, the PS3 is a 2X BD drive.

I'm not sure if Sony will make the 2 million by the end of the year..I think maybe 1.5 but two I dunno. By Jan-Feb, they should be able to get production up yo where they say.

Edited by Gaijin

I did the math a long time ago. It came out to something like a 30 second load time on a 16x DVD would be 45 seconds on a 2x Blu-Ray or a full minute on 1x. They did finally say the PS3 is 2x, right?

Wait, don't you work at at gamestore? come on, you should know that the PS3 is 2x months ago. ^_^

In your math calculation you forgot to add in one major process that consumes time and power. It's call decompression/extract/etc. If a file or part of a file is require to be compressed to fit in a DVD, it will also require to be Decompressed to be readable. That takes more time and more CPU power then just Streaming the data over from a Larger disc. So the seconds that you gained in your example of a straight transfer process might not have a huge of a impact as what the numbers are showing. Depending on the compression of the game data, you might even lose all your previous transfersing advantages in your decompression process. Decompression of files will also take away some of your system RAM/memory also, it'll be in temp files, and will be constantly cleared and readwrited but sure enough it will be there. This alone give developers more freedom because they will have more CPU power to use on other things and not have to worry as much with restricting certain part of that power for Decompression if they don't need to.

I think $500 is too much. $400 for the 360 was really too much, but it was close enough that, at least in my case, I was battying about the price even as I grabbed for my wallet.

If $500 is already considered "too much" to you, which is about $100 over from your $400 xbox 360. Then why are you even posting that you are not going to spend $600 on a Console. When you are really saying you're not going to even spend $500 on a console. Are you telling me that you see no difference in $500 to $600, but there's a Huge difference in $400 to $500? They are both $100 more from each other.

If $500 is too much to you for a Console then you should complaint about that next time instead of using $600.

Edited by F360°

Er, if a certain price becomes "too much" for someone to spend, than any price higher than that is absolutely no difference to that person. Too much is too much, no matter how you slice it. A little bit too much is no different than several thousand dollars too much to that person.

Er, if a certain price becomes "too much" for someone to spend, than any price higher than that is absolutely no difference to that person. Too much is too much, no matter how you slice it. A little bit too much is no different than several thousand dollars too much to that person.

not really, there is a difference and that's the price. $1 difference is not the same as $100 differences, or $1,000 difference, even if they are all over your "too much" mark.

by your logic, It's like me wanting to buy another 1/48 valk and complaint that $350 is too much for me to spend on 1 valk since $150 was my max on the last 1/48 that I brought. Anyone that's reading and knows the pricing would go WTF!? you can get a valk cheaper than that. But if it's like what you said, then it shouldn't matter what number I put in there, since any number over my own " too much" ammount is the same. I can fill that sentence with $600 for 1 valk is too much or $1,000 for one valk is too much and it wouldn't matter even if I was comparing to the pricing of the $150 1/48 valk that I previously brought.

Er, now you're making stuff up, and if you can't see how what you just said, and what I just said are different, we may be at an impasse in conversation.

What I said was more like, it's like you wanting to buy another Valk, but $150 is the maximum you're willing to spend. You look, and see several for $200 and a couple others that are $350 (This is a terrible, fictional world, where 1/48ths are going for this much). You're not willing to spend more than $150, so it doesn't matter that the $200 1/48ths are less than the $350 1/48ths, it's still more than you're willing to spend.

oh well, local Gamestop manager called and said they were starting preorders today at 10am.

so, what did i do in my infinite non-wisdom? i drove my a$$ out there at opening time and plunked down $200 on two preorders for the premium system.

that means one less YF-19 for me. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why.......do.......i.......do.......stuff......like......this........

but when I got home, my VF-0A from Samurai_M was in! woohoo!

$200 on two preorders for the premium system.

that means one less YF-19 for me. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And in a few weeks more weeks when the system comes out, you'll be forking out $400+ more (remember sales tax, games, controllers, etc.) so it will mean 3 or less Yamato YF-19's for you! ;)

Congratulations to all who were able to preorder a PS3!

If $500 is already considered "too much" to you, which is about $100 over from your $400 xbox 360. Then why are you even posting that you are not going to spend $600 on a Console. When you are really saying you're not going to even spend $500 on a console. Are you telling me that you see no difference in $500 to $600, but there's a Huge difference in $400 to $500? They are both $100 more from each other.

If $500 is too much to you for a Console then you should complaint about that next time instead of using $600.

You yourself quoted me as using the $500 figure. Why are you battying at me for using the $600 figure?

And let's be honest. 360 owners who got stuck with the 3-shitty package could buy a hard drive and a wireless controller later... but until recently, the retard-package PS3 was lacking HDMI, which really ruled the $500 deal as not a legitimate option. Even with HDMI, I'd prefer to wait until the $600 unit was down to $400 and get the one with memory card slots and the larger hard drive than buy the $500 unit, even if dropped to $300.