Transformers Super Thread 4: The Return

Dangard Ace

G1 seekers were sleeker, more accurate F-15's than Movie SS is an F-22. 20 years, and we've gone downhill. I've always thought the F-22 would be one of the easiest planes to make a TF---big flat boxy belly, you could pack it full of parts. IDW sure figured out a nice transformation for it.

G1 seekers were sleeker, more accurate F-15's than Movie SS is an F-22. 20 years, and we've gone downhill. I've always thought the F-22 would be one of the easiest planes to make a TF---big flat boxy belly, you could pack it full of parts. IDW sure figured out a nice transformation for it.

Part of me hopes a larger better looking screamer toy gets released.

G1 seekers were sleeker, more accurate F-15's than Movie SS is an F-22.

Eh.. The underside of the Diaclone planes are about as "not true to life" as with F-22 Screamer...

Which isn't really a defense for the movie version, but it just says that the diaclone planes weren't alt mode marvels either, with their split engines non characteristic cockpit canopy, underfuselage kibble and wheels at the wrong place. ;)

IDW sure figured out a nice transformation for it.
As much as I'm in wonder of EJ Su's skills, his Seekers aren't free of animation/comic magic.

Especially in the chest, arm and hip department.

I don't see that all being able to fit smoothly when it occupies pretty much the same space.

He did do one fantastic drawing early on, with Starscream being in mid transform as an homage to Macross style plane-to-gerwalk landings.

Edited by T.V.

Part of me hopes a larger better looking screamer toy gets released.

The same with me.

I'd hoped for better alt mode likeness this time around, but was dissapointed when in turned out not to be the case.

Although, the seemingly good poseability does give him some redeeming qualities.

I'm not a real fan of the humongous missle pods/arms under the wings.

I'd hoped they'd be able to tuck his (fore)arms in the main weapons bay, just like the CGI will probably do.

That Soundwave MP3 Player is a fantastic idea, and one that fans have been tossing around for several years now. It's so cool to see a "dream" figure come to life. Of course 98 percent of me is buying it for the great looking Soundwave sculpt. I can't wait to see it painted. The white version is rather strange, but I suspect they chose to offer that as an option since so many people associate MP3s with iPods. I see no reason why they should be different prices, but whatever.

The Optimus Prime iPod docking station is a cool idea, too, and has an awesome new head sculpt. But since I don't have an iPod (and never will), I can't see myself dropping the money for that one.

The G1 comparison isn't entirely fair, given G1 Starscream had large chunks that were completely removed and set aside. Movie Starscream would undoubtedly ALSO look much nicer if Hasbro said "Sure, you could snap his forearms off for plane mode."

But the point is still taken.

As far as MP3 player Soundwave goes...

It makes my old non-transformable Soundwave tape player weep at his obsolescence.

And I MUST HAVE IT!

Edited by JB0

Eh.. The underside of the Diaclone planes are about as "not true to life" as with F-22 Screamer...

Which isn't really a defense for the movie version, but it just says that the diaclone planes weren't alt mode marvels either, with their split engines non characteristic cockpit canopy, underfuselage kibble and wheels at the wrong place. ;) As much as I'm in wonder of EJ Su's skills, his Seekers aren't free of animation/comic magic.

I don't see that all being able to fit smoothly when it occupies pretty much the same space.

He did do one fantastic drawing early on, with Starscream being in mid transform as an homage to Macross style plane-to-gerwalk landings.

Mind sharing a picture of that?

I am soooo going to need an MP3 Soundwave... how awesome is it that a fan-popular idea for years is being made? I wouldn't mind a white one, both ebcause it's cheaper (which is stupid) and because it kind of makes sense if Soundwave is going to disguis himself as an MP3 player that he works to blend in with the most common player....

Which isn't really a defense for the movie version, but it just says that the diaclone planes weren't alt mode marvels either, with their split engines non characteristic cockpit canopy, underfuselage kibble and wheels at the wrong place. ;) As much as I'm in wonder of EJ Su's skills, his Seekers aren't free of animation/comic magic.

I don't think he's saying that the Diaclone seekers were fantastic marvels of transformation, or that they looked true to life, he's saying that they did a better job, with less kibble, than the movie starscream. I got to agree with him.

JBO makes a fair point about removeable pieces, however I think the point still stands that toy design has come so far that they shouldn't need to have removable pieces to get a decent transformation down. Heck, even Classics Starscream doesn't have the amount of excess undercarriage (I hate the term kibble, mostly because it's so overused and often used to describe very different things) the movie toy does. Then again, the movie people were trying to work off of designs intended for the movie and not neccessarily toys, while the Classics designer just had to work off of the cartoon which was based off the original toy.

I suspect if the movie people had tried for a more realistic transformation, it would have made it easier for the toy people. Then again, you've got Hasbro's inclination towards, as someone already mentioned, gimicky weapons and whatnot. Movie Starscreams arms aren't as big as the toys.

So in the end I think it all comes down to the fact that they're really not trying to make a decent transformation with as little excess parts or misproportioned pieces. They're trying to work with what the movie gives them, and include little gimmicks they think will draw in the kids.

... the Classics designer just had to work off of the cartoon which was based off the original toy.

And Classics matches the animation rather loosely, at that. It doesn't show so much in Starscream, but when you get to Prime and Megatron...

Basically, Classics is what happens when you free the designers from gimmick requirements and animatability.

Megatron Megatron, painted in full colour

I don't see anything wrong with this. Why should animation be limited by the physical constraints of a 7" toy? G1 transformers was all over this.. since many G1 characters have only a passing resemblance to their toy counterparts.

I didn't say anything was wrong with it, in fact I prefer animation improving upon the limitations of the toy. I quite disliked how GONZO slavishly adhered to the toy proportions, such as making Evac have holes everywhere in helicopter mode.

while the Classics designer just had to work off of the cartoon which was based off the original toy.

And Classics matches the animation rather loosely, at that. It doesn't show so much in Starscream, but when you get to Prime and Megatron...

Basically, Classics is what happens when you free the designers from gimmick requirements and animatability.

I'm not show much Don Figueroa conceptualised, and how much of his conceptualisations survived into toy form. I know his Optimus Prime concept is pretty much the same in the final toy, and the man has a talent for designing comic TFs that theoretically transform.

the painted megs looks awesome. and the legs aren't too skinny either, I reckon. I hope they do the same thing as they did for Starscream and have to face versions. I 'd love to see a 'maniacal evil laugh' face on megs.

Ipod speaker carrier Ultra Magnus ! ;)

http://tformers.com/Convoy-iPod-Docking-Ba.../7026/news.html

And i still think that megs' legs are too skinny lookin. :(

Is that small gun accesory supposed to be shockwave?

EDIT: Nvm saw it in the pics...its the gun he shot prime with.

Edited by wolfx

"Time to make a quick cash withdraw from the bank with the help of MP Megatron"

Skinny legs but Megatron looks great nonetheless. Amazing how that robot turns into a real looking gun. Good thing they removed the P.38 thing to one of the shoulders to leave the decepticon logo on its own.

Don’t care at all for guns though so I’ll get the tiny revoltech Megs (only have a tiny THS-02 Prime for him to fight anyways).

BTW, any news on future THS’s from Takara? Last I saw they were making a black repaint of 02.

I don't think he's saying that the Diaclone seekers were fantastic marvels of transformation, or that they looked true to life, he's saying that they did a better job, with less kibble, than the movie starscream. I got to agree with him.

I suspect if the movie people had tried for a more realistic transformation, it would have made it easier for the toy people.

The movie transformations are fairly realistic though.

While they resort to elastic shell components, as if they're made out of different kind of piëzo-electric materials rather than plain ol' steel, they don't cheat with the geometry of the transformations.

The designs are simply too complex to be able to capture well in a toy.

The old G1 designs, by virtue of their simplicity, are a lot easier to recapture in newer designs than the ones of the movie.

Now if the movie CGI design's transformation was decidedly less complex, then the toy would've had a bigger chance to remain more faithfull to the alt mode.

I want transforming underwear.

I don't even want to think about the Alt modes...

:lol:

Megs looks GREAT. Awesome looking toy.

Anybody know where you can get one without some stupid orange plug in the barrel (no offense to BBTS who I love).

Well, I'm a fan of the movie designs, but it's obvious they don't easily translate into toys. That starscream toy is unforgivable.

I am surprised that Megatron looks so much better in these recent shots. I thought he looked pretty pitiful in the earlier ones. His head still looks somehow not-quite-right to me, but he looks great otherwise.