Transformers Super Thread 4: The Return

Dangard Ace

How is it that the old G1 Prime mold is STILL usable over 2 decades and umpteen-bajillion reissues later?

I have a better question. Since they're giving us an MP3 Player that appears to be very posable and very awesome looking, why are they giving us the same crappy blocky non-posable G1 Prime for the speakers? You'd think they would/could come up with something better than that, especially with the newer/better toy designs that are flooding the market now (movie SS excluded).

I have a better question. Since they're giving us an MP3 Player that appears to be very posable and very awesome looking, why are they giving us the same crappy blocky non-posable G1 Prime for the speakers? You'd think they would/could come up with something better than that, especially with the newer/better toy designs that are flooding the market now (movie SS excluded).

Because Masterpiece Prime + Trailer is too recent, I suspect.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they were considering making the iPod dock a MP Prime bundle at one point.

But yeah... G1 Prime needs a major overhaul. Something with the original look but retractable fists, and NOT in the hundred+ range.

TFW2005 has better pictures. I don't understand why bbts' pictures look so cruddy. You think they could invest in Irfanview or something?

The compression of the BBTS pictures looks way too high. I think they are really worried about disk space or something. None of the MP Megs picts are over 35K.

Compression alone isn't the issue, it's the program. I use 3 main programs for Jpeg, and they all vary in quality/size for the same "compression". One of them often triples the size of the file when going DOWN to 90% quality! (but I use it just for viewing, as it loads SO fast). And ironically, the best compromise between file size and quality, is the freebie that came with my scanner.

For the same pic, at say 85% quality---some programs will make that 30K, some 50K, and another 100K. And they will all look visibly different, and image quality and file size will NOT correlate.

With a different program, I bet BBTS could have better pics that actually take less disk space.

Compression alone isn't the issue, it's the program. I use 3 main programs for Jpeg, and they all vary in quality/size for the same "compression". One of them often triples the size of the file when going DOWN to 90% quality! (but I use it just for viewing, as it loads SO fast). And ironically, the best compromise between file size and quality, is the freebie that came with my scanner.

For the same pic, at say 85% quality---some programs will make that 30K, some 50K, and another 100K. And they will all look visibly different, and image quality and file size will NOT correlate.

With a different program, I bet BBTS could have better pics that actually take less disk space.

Believe it or not but I have Fireworks installed JUST for the sole purpose of saving files.

Its compression algoritms are nuts. After trying dozens of products, Fireworks gives the best quality / compression and even let you create profiles for different settings.

Often I do artwork on photoshop (I'm a graphic designer btw) , copymerge all and paste on fireworks just for saving as a jpeg..

Nike's transforming shoe kind of happened already a few years ago.

They had a commercial where a Marshall Faulk shoe transformed into a robot.

I think they even had a limited run of a toy version sold at Niketown.

Nikelab Transforming Shoe Commercial

I remember that. Thought it was a pretty neat idea for it's time esp. because there was actually transforming shoes that tied into the ad campaign, although i was never a fan of the Rams though. <_< If i recall correctly though the transforming shoes were a pretty limited release, i could have swore i saw a contest where you could win 1 out of total of only 5 in existence or something like that. I don't think they ever saw widespread enough production to be sold at retail. Could be wrong though.

Hey, I do the same thing! I use MGI Photosuite SE for viewing images and basic cut & paste (huge file size, though). It loads pics almost instantly depending on size. Yeah, it came with my old scanner.

I use Photoshop for proper editing and re-saving files into smaller file sizes.

lol I'm so gonna get the MP3 Soundwave......I mean damn.......who wouldn't?

"Cool MP3 player! Where did you get it?" "MP3 player....?" *Soundwave transformers* ".....................................ah crap......."

The toys look great. Where did the nose of the truck go on prime? I dont see it in robot mode. I hope the nose piece of the truck does not just pull off. If it does, it should at least snap back onto prime somehow. Also, Megatron is looking much better than I anticipated. Im not to sure about that automorphin gimmick. Usually that stuff will ruin the transformation or you lose detail on the toy because of it.

If Prime looks less chunky in real life I might get him; truck mode just looks great. Megs in robot form I like (don't care much for made-up alternate modes). The rest show that Hasbro/Takara are doing a nice job translating the complex designs into working toys.

I'm worried about that 'automorph' tagline. I don't want my Transformers to transform themselves. Otherwise. Prime looks decent. Not fantastic, but good. Better than a lot of Prime toys in the past, and much better than the actual movie design.

Jazz looks alright, too. Hope his arms aren't too long, looks like they used the side of the car to make his arms, like Barricade, but they shrunk them a bit by removing the side door (those seem to be on his hips).

So far, those are the only two I'd even really consider.

I do have to agree, though, Hasbro is doing a great job converting the movie designs to toys, and where they are forced to make changes, it seems like they're making them in my favour (Bulkier, more powerful looking Prime over skinny, lanky Prime).

well i'll be damned... "Automorph"

as for the prime... not bad, not bad at all

do those look like rubber tires? i hope so... :)

i wonder how tall it is ?

Prime, like other Super/Leader-class Primes, should be about a foot tall.

The toys look great. Where did the nose of the truck go on prime? I dont see it in robot mode. I hope the nose piece of the truck does not just pull off. If it does, it should at least snap back onto prime somehow. Also, Megatron is looking much better than I anticipated. Im not to sure about that automorphin gimmick. Usually that stuff will ruin the transformation or you lose detail on the toy because of it.

One thing you'll notice with most Transformers design since the mid 90s is that Hasbro doesn't like piles of removable parts or weapons - they want things to be intergrated into the design, or be able to be stored somewhere while not in use. The nose of the truck is still... somewhere in him :p

Prime's legs appear to represent the entire length of the truck, but folded up. You'll notice the back end of the truck on the back of his thighs.

Automorphing simply means when you go through the process of transforming the toys, moving and tranforming parts will affect some other parts. So far its mostly for appearance and saving some time on transformation, and hasn't seem to affected the toys otherwise.

Automorphing simply means when you go through the process of transforming the toys, moving and tranforming parts will affect some other parts. So far its mostly for appearance and saving some time on transformation, and hasn't seem to affected the toys otherwise.

Hope they don't over do it; that prime looks fun to transform piece by piece.