Transformers Super Thread 4: The Return

Dangard Ace

I like it how it breaks the mold, but that's about it.

Actually the more i look at it the more i think it's mistransformed a little or at least misposed (pretty common with the box shots). In all fairness it probably looks better than that when properly transformed/posed, but still...

Well wasn't this is the pipeline for some time? What about rumble? The prototypes for that was out since yonks ago as well.

Yeah it was, i'm just too lazy to look up when the prototype images came out though. Supposedly rumble and ravage are both being released next month.

Speaking of new prototypes, TFW posted up auction images of a digital camera transformer and a cell phone transformer.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=118769

Edited by Veritas

Alt ravage doesn't look too bad to me.... way better than that Battle Ravage crap... that didn't make any sense but this has lots of G1 essence to it...

Love the hip rockets!!!

that is why i swapped heads with a spare tracks. So i have Evil black Tracks!!!!

Alt Ravage is so boring to me I can't even muster up a negative comment. He's the biggest 'meh' I've ever seen.

Classics Mirage is pure hand candy. I initially wasn't going to get him because the pictures didn't sell me on it, but when I read so many good reviews and eventually saw him in the store I had to get one. A couple weeks of 'can't put it down' playing later and he's by far my favorite Classics figure. I even like how he looks with the gun/stabilizer left in place as it sort of evens out the narrow waist.

As for those gadgetformers, the phone, game and camera, those are my most anticipated TFs for 2007 so far. I'm eager to get some figures that break the vehicle mold and all three of these look great. One thing I'm going to do immediately if the scale is right is put Titanium Soundwave's head on the video game guy. The proportions and transformation are too similar for him to NOT be Soundwave. And since Titanium Soundwave is as smelly as the giant daiper that he sports, I wont mind butchering him and harvesting his parts.

Edited by eriku

I just picked up the Classics Prime and I'm surprised how much I like it. heaps of fun to transform and super poseable. I actually like it a lot more than the MP starscream which I got at the same time.

Classics Mirage is pure hand candy. I initially wasn't going to get him because the pictures didn't sell me on it, but when I read so many good reviews and eventually saw him in the store I had to get one. A couple weeks of 'can't put it down' playing later and he's by far my favorite Classics figure. I even like how he looks with the gun/stabilizer left in place as it sort of evens out the narrow waist.

As for those gadgetformers, the phone, game and camera, those are my most anticipated TFs for 2007 so far. I'm eager to get some figures that break the vehicle mold and all three of these look great. One thing I'm going to do immediately if the scale is right is put Titanium Soundwave's head on the video game guy. The proportions and transformation are too similar for him to NOT be Soundwave. And since Titanium Soundwave is as smelly as the giant daiper that he sports, I wont mind butchering him and harvesting his parts.

Heh Classics Mirage is such a great figure i almost like him more than Alt. Mirage. Mirage was my favorite character in the original G1 and i'm super stoked they've released 2 excellent figures of him in the last year. I guess that makes up for the fact that we'll never see a G1 Mirage re-issue because the mold was lost. <_<

As for the gadgetformers i'm actually looking forward to them myself. If they really are toys from the upcoming movie, they'll probably be the only movie related merchandise i end up buying. I've yet to see Tit. Soundwave in stores... maybe because i wasn't looking for him in the first place, but your idea of swapping the head out isn't half bad. I still don't know if i can force myself to pick one up though. It was such a missed oppurtunity IMO. Tit. Rodimus though.

Edited by Veritas

Is Ramjet in any way based on any real fighter?

Man, that whole "Lost the Mold" thing is frustrating.

I don't understand why Takara can't just find a used vintage piece and reverse engineer the thing.

Isn't that what bootleggers do? <_<

Give us Mirage, Sunstreaker and Wheeljack already :angry:

Cost, and level of quality for one thing. Bootleggers don't have quality standards.

From what I understand, they make a mold off the parts of the vintage toy, then they need to tool it up for the sculpters to fix up the detail and make it acceptable for a production tooling, then they tool it back down and make the steel tooling. Costly.

Plus, there's no guarantee anybody will actually buy Mirage, Sunstreaker or Wheeljack. Look at the reissues of toys nobody expected to be reissued, like Hound, Blaster, Astrotrain, Blitzwing and former collecting holy grail Stepper. They hung around for a VERY long time after release.

Is Ramjet in any way based on any real fighter?

Cost, and level of quality for one thing. Bootleggers don't have quality standards.

From what I understand, they make a mold off the parts of the vintage toy, then they need to tool it up for the sculpters to fix up the detail and make it acceptable for a production tooling, then they tool it back down and make the steel tooling. Costly.

Plus, there's no guarantee anybody will actually buy Mirage, Sunstreaker or Wheeljack. Look at the reissues of toys nobody expected to be reissued, like Hound, Blaster, Astrotrain, Blitzwing and former collecting holy grail Stepper. They hung around for a VERY long time after release.

While I see your point about it being very costly, I completely disagree about guaranteed sales. These are core G1 Autobot characters. They couldn't sell any worse than less nostalgic reissues like Battle Convoy, Star Convoy, or Pepsi Convoy. <_< I think as long as Takara crunches the numbers with projected sales & limits the production run it could be profitable. Just limit the first run and if it sells out do a second run. And then they could milk it with E-Hobby repaints (Mirage in Red/Marlboor Wheeljack/Red Sunstreaker/Patrol Sunstreaker). Or they could reissue the VSZ or Good Bye Convoy sets. :wacko:

About Hound, Blaster, Astrotrain, Blitzwing & Stepper being shelfwarmers...By that point Takara has already sold through. It's the retailers that would be hesistant about ordering a big quantity, but hopefully they learned their lesson and would order less. Blitzwing, Astrotrain and Stepper and not as common now. They may have sat at first but they get sold eventually. Hound i'm chalking up to less popularity and Blaster was the most recent Collection reissue so....

Edited by chowyunskinny

Rmajet's a fictional (and fairly fantastical) modification of an F-15, just like the original. If you're asking if the changes themselves are based on anything---nothing that I can think of. You can find some similarities to real plane parts for any of the 1986 seekers, but I think it'd be chance, not "inspired by". If you really want an answer, I'd call Ramjet an F-15XL, same as Mylene's VF-11MAXL--both from the F-16XL.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=119001

Movie SS's toy seems to be some weird YF-22, F/A-22 hybrid. With the v.stabs from the XFA-27. What happened there? The original design sketch was a YF-22, but I think the movie final design is a proper F/A-22. (Still waiting on my broadband connection, so I haven't seen the trailer yet)

Movie SS's toy seems to be some weird YF-22, F/A-22 hybrid. With the v.stabs from the XFA-27. What happened there? The original design sketch was a YF-22, but I think the movie final design is a proper F/A-22. (Still waiting on my broadband connection, so I haven't seen the trailer yet)

Whoa, can't say too much about the jet mode since you can point out all of it's faults alot more accurately than i can, but that robot mode is abosultely hideous. Why even call him starscream if he doesn't share any simliarties with the original character... other than the fact that he's a jet.

Edited by Veritas

I didn't feel any need to talk about Movie SS bot mode or jet kibble, we can all see/agree. But the fact that jet mode is fictional is a interesting point. Every other movie toy vehicle mode has been as accurate to the real thing as an Alternator. But SS is a jumble of parts---why? It wouldn't affect the transformation or robot mode appearance to have been either 100% YF-22 or F/A-22. It'd be like if the toy Bumblebee had a '97 Camaro RS's spoiler tacked on, or the toy Prime had an '88 Kenworth T600 grill.

I didn't feel any need to talk about Movie SS bot mode or jet kibble, we can all see/agree. But the fact that jet mode is fictional is a interesting point. Every other movie toy vehicle mode has been as accurate to the real thing as an Alternator. But SS is a jumble of parts---why? It wouldn't affect the transformation or robot mode appearance to have been either 100% YF-22 or F/A-22. It'd be like if the toy Bumblebee had a '97 Camaro RS's spoiler tacked on, or the toy Prime had an '88 Kenworth T600 grill.

I wonder if this is actually a plot point, given SS's messed up face.

And then there was the Jazz reissue, with the mangled twisted face.

Hasbro doesn't always have quality standards.

Twisted is an extreme exaggeration. More he lost his chin bump thin and his mouth had a strange leer.

If you had thought about it, G1 bootlegs copied from vintage G1 toys have poor parts fit, soft, indistinct detailing and in the Aerialbots case, are smaller than the originals slightly. That's what I mean when it does not cut it with the standards of toy quality for both Takara and Hasbro.

If you want to push quality of sculpting issues, remember Hasbro did have the Cybertron Thunderblast tooling fixed when it was discovered the Galaxy Force Chromia releases had one eye slightly lower than the other on her face. They also fixed the Wing Saber/Sonic Bomber tooling as the eye guard covered his eyes in the wrong area.

I wonder if this is actually a plot point, given SS's messed up face.

That's just anti-thievery paint on his face so thieves (and potential buyers on ebay) have less desire to take and buy him.

And yeah, I think he's pretty shitty given TF have done planes with far less crap underneath.

As a toy of a robot that transforms in to a realistic jet fighter it seems Classics Starscream outshines movie Starscream in every category: better looking robot + better looking jet fighter = better toy. I've lost pretty much all interest in Transformers these days, and designs like these aren't helping to change my mind

I think Hasbro didn't get the memo that states it's a toy, and not a flying crapload of bricks.